Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 Sack Totals - Offense and Defense

PrideOfAthens17

2020 Sack Totals - Offense and Defense  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How many sacks will the offense give up in 2020?

2. 2. How many sacks will the defense get in 2020?

I was thinking about how Philip has always been great at limiting his team's sacks each year with his pre-snap knowledge, quick thinking and quick release, and wondering just how good this offense this year may be at that with this great offensive line to go with it. So I thought a poll on the topic would be fun. And then I thought, what the heck, add the defense to it, too. So have at it.

I'm going all in, and picking less than 10 for the offense, and 40 or more for the defense.

Our OL... just to qualify things, we were tied with NE in 2018 (1.2 sacks/game) for 1st (least sacks given up), and were tied for 8th/9th (2.0 sacks/game) last season switching to Brissett. Our OL was far more consistent in 2019, and wasn't musical chairs the first third of the season like it was in 2018. 

Biggest thing is that Rivers was 5th best in time to throw (lowest) in 2019, while Brissett is 2nd worst (longest). Luck was also 9th best in 2018, while Rivers was 8th.

I expect that Rivers might not be top 5 anymore given he'll have a lot more time with our OL, but at the same time, he won't take forever every snap like Brissett did. I still see him top 10, taking a bit more time, but cleaner in the pocket similar to 2018.

I think we'll see our OL rate even better on passing downs and will not have to expend as much energy. They should look better on running downs as well given teams will not have to defend us different, and likely use more package/situational defense on both running and passing downs.

Prediction - 22, or 1.375/game at worst (we gave up 32 last year, 18 in 2018)

On DL. LDE is still a wild card. For the sake of prediction, I'm going to assume Autry is playing DE on running downs (Houston/Stewart/Buckner/Autry), and Turay is playing passing downs (Houston/Autry/Buckner/Turay). That's a pretty decent front 4 vs the pass as long as Turay retruns to form and is near his passing down ratings from early last year.

Last year, we were middle of the pack at 41 sacks even without Turay most of the year, and with Sheard playing poorly.... 

Prediction - 50. The best thing though is that our pressure % will improve much more than just the sack #.

Knowing we had 41 sacks last year, anyone who thinks we don't get more with the addition of Buckner is swinging for a bunt, instead of the fences...... We've only lost Sheard thus far (4.5 sacks), and I'd expect Buckner to at least give us that +3 at minimum. I think using Autry more at DE will likely translate into him getting more as well.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Knowing we had 41 sacks last year, anyone who thinks we don't get more with the addition of Buckner is swinging for a bunt, instead of the fences...... We've only lost Sheard thus far (4.5 sacks), and I'd expect Buckner to at least give us that +3 at minimum. I think using Autry more at DE will likely translate into him getting more as well.

I put our over/under at 44.5. I say we get 45 which is 4 more than last year. Just a guess but I think our Pass Rush will be a little better than last year.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I put our over/under at 44.5. I say we get 45 which is 4 more than last year. Just a guess but I think our Pass Rush will be a little better than last year.

I think interior pressure will open up things on the ends. Gonna be better than 4 more. 

At least that's what I'm hoping brother.

I think we’ll fair better on all sides of the sack/pressure totals.

Between Rivers’ ability to pre-snap read and a stellar O-Line... plus, hopefully, a healthy WR and RB corps (with a few new additions) I’m not overly concerned with giving up sacks.

I’m calling it for 16 sacks given up on the season.

On defense.... much like when he doubled down on Nelson & Smith.... I hope Ballard pulls the trigger on another IDL on Draft Day to go along with the Buckner acquisition.

For all the clamoring (including my own) for a WR at #34.... if Ballard instead selects Gallimore or Blacklock, I’ll register no complaints.

With Turay back to form and the LBs benefiting from a highly upgraded D-Line.... I predict 58 sacks next season.

I will shy away from putting a prediction on the numbers. With that said I just hope we can get sacks and pressures on the opposing QB at opportune times. 

That will help all of out D backs no doubt. Plus adding a few more turnovers as well.

With Rivers and this offensive line I look for more ball control. The other team can't score without the ball. 

Archived