Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duplicate Numbers #93 And #74

UndecidedFrog

With the recent additions of Justice and Redding to the Colts roster, I noticed that their numbers are duplicates of other players also on the roster that have the same number:

#74 Winston Justice

#74 Anthony Castonzo

#93 Cory Redding

#93 Dwight Freeney

What will happen to resolve this?

The general morale rule is is that if you're new to the team, you should change, unless the player that was always there decides that it's okay for the new player to take his number. That was the rule when I was playing football at McGill.

With the recent additions of Justice and Redding to the Colts roster, I noticed that their numbers are duplicates of other players also on the roster that have the same number:

#74 Winston Justice

#74 Anthony Castonzo

#93 Cory Redding

#93 Dwight Freeney

My guess is since Justice (and Redding for that matter) is the new guy in town he will get a new number.

In Redding's case he needs to see what the Colts do with Freeney.

Marquee names get to keep their numbers, no matter the franchise theyre currently playing for. Redding and Justice, certainly are not marquee athletes and will have to get new jersey numbers

No, they do not get to just keep their numbers when they come in if another player was wearing that number. The new player asks the player, buys it from him or they work out some deal. If Peyton were to go to Denver and some scrub were wearing 18 and Manning said he wanted the number, offered to buy it and the guy said no thanks, I like the number that much, one of two things would happen. Either Manning would wear #whatever or that scrub would be cut and the team would then hand the # to PM. You are not just given anything because your a marquee player, it is usually a respect deal though. Never seen it be a real issue.

Justice and Redding will change numbers. I don't see Freeney getting released. We've already sent about 6 starters out the door getting nothing in return. The FA's we've signed have been relatively cheap so far. Keep Freeney and stand him up.

The Colts have about 40 players under contract now with Reggie and Redding signing. They have around 10-11 million dollars left to spend. They get another 14 million if/when Freeney is realesed/traded. I don't see anyway around Freeney not being let go one way or the other. He would need to sign an extension and have it restructured so they wouldn't get the enormous cap hit they now have with his current contract. That may happen, but I'll have to see it to believe it. I think he gets released.

The Colts have about 40 players under contract now with Reggie and Redding signing. They have around 10-11 million dollars left to spend. They get another 14 million if/when Freeney is realesed/traded. I don't see anyway around Freeney not being let go one way or the other. He would need to sign an extension and have it restructured so they wouldn't get the enormous cap hit they now have with his current contract. That may happen, but I'll have to see it to believe it. I think he gets released.

Having 10-11 million left right now, do you know how much of that is typically used on draft picks?

Mathis hinted yesterday on twitter that Freeney is sticking around...

6984447433_46521595a9_z.jpg

not sure how much merit is warranted in that...but I'd rather keep Freeney around rather than release him and get nothing for it.

The general morale rule is is that if you're new to the team, you should change, unless the player that was always there decides that it's okay for the new player to take his number. That was the rule when I was playing football at McGill.

We'll see how that works out in Tennessee if Manning signs there. I'm sure Kenny Britt is going to be looking for a nice pay day to give up 18.

about that much :) I don't see much more action in free agency

That was what I was thinking, thanks. So if we currently are sitting at 40-50 on the roster, and need to be up to 80 or so for training camp, how is Grigs planning on working this thing out with Freeney on the active roster?

No, they do not get to just keep their numbers when they come in if another player was wearing that number. The new player asks the player, buys it from him or they work out some deal. If Peyton were to go to Denver and some scrub were wearing 18 and Manning said he wanted the number, offered to buy it and the guy said no thanks, I like the number that much, one of two things would happen. Either Manning would wear #whatever or that scrub would be cut and the team would then hand the # to PM. You are not just given anything because your a marquee player, it is usually a respect deal though. Never seen it be a real issue.

This just happened on the '08 Colts when we brought Dominque Rhodes back. He wanted to get number 33 from Bullitt when we re-signed him, but Melvin wouldn't give it up.

eventually teams are gonna be like such and such name 100 something catches a pass TOUCHDOWN, hilarious see what I mean, retire the name on the back of the jersey not the number

I have to be understanding your point incorrectly. Let's say we retired "Manning" and then a sweet player comes along in a draft named Suchandsuch Manning. We wouldn't be able to draft him because we retired the name? That's just silly. You can change a player's number, but not his name (unless he's named Chad Johnson).

first initial of first name goes along way I would think, lets say P. Manning for example, now I knoe teams dont retire every number that comes across to their team, but eventually their will be another 23 thats a darn good player on the bulls or another who wears a number, lets say Derrick Rose for example, lets say his number is retired, well their goes another number. well the next player comes along after him wants to wear that number but cant cause its retired, so has to wear another number, get my point? eventually and it will take along time most of is will probably be dead, but there is gonna be some weird numbers out there

#74 Winston Justice

#74 Anthony Castonzo

#93 Cory Redding

#93 Dwight Freeney

I don't think Castonzo or Freeney will get told to change anything.

As Andy said, the rule is that the player who was there first keeps their number. However, if a new player really wants to keep their number, they could give the other player some gifts to try and change their mind (like Rhodes did to Bullitt when he came back and wanted 33)

As Andy said, the rule is that the player who was there first keeps their number. However, if a new player really wants to keep their number, they could give the other player some gifts to try and change their mind (like Rhodes did to Bullitt when he came back and wanted 33)

Like what Luck will have to do for Cosby for #12?

Like what Luck will have to do for Cosby for #12?

Luck's the QB...he has everything in his favour. I can see it now:

Luck: Cosby, I'm going to need that #12 from you. That's my number.

Cosby: No way man, I had it first.

Luck: Well, seeing as how I'm QB and I control who gets the ball, would you really like to keep the number and have a 0 under the "receptions" column on your stats sheet?

Luck's the QB...he has everything in his favour. I can see it now:

Luck: Cosby, I'm going to need that #12 from you. That's my number.

Cosby: No way man, I had it first.

Luck: Well, seeing as how I'm QB and I control who gets the ball, would you really like to keep the number and have a 0 under the "receptions" column on your stats sheet?

haha

and Cosby will reply: What difference would that make? I already have a 0 under the receptions column on my stat sheet for the Colts.

haha

and Cosby will reply: What difference would that make? I already have a 0 under the receptions column on my stat sheet for the Colts.

Cosby-And to add on, I have a zero in my stats sheet but still collecting that paycheck. How much you offering me for that # Luck?

Luck-Uh nothing but passes buddy, oh by the way, I spoke to the coach and he wanted to talk to you, said bring your playbook, maybe he wanted to show you some new routes designed just for you. lol

Cosby-And to add on, I have a zero in my stats sheet but still collecting that paycheck. How much you offering me for that # Luck?

Luck-Uh nothing but passes buddy, oh by the way, I spoke to the coach and he wanted to talk to you, said bring your playbook, maybe he wanted to show you some new routes designed just for you. lol

Hahahaha!

Agree. I've also heard they sometimes make a game of it. Like they will sell him the number if he let's the other player drive his Bentley for a night, or if he (the star) will carry his helmet and shoulder pads to the practice field for a week.