Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Antonio Johnson Experiment

atapcl

Both DEs and the NT spots have to have quality backups so players can rotate in and out. At DE the colts have Maola, Redding, Nevis, Matthews, and probably Ogbu. We do not have a NT at all. We have to add one as a FA or we have to draft one. We would still need a backup. Maybe Antonio Johnson could be groom for a backup position. After college his combine and pro day numbers were: 6-3, 310lbs, 5.08F, 28Reps, 4.49S, 7.51C, and 1.68 Ten yard dash. These are excellent numbers for a DT. Johnson seems not to be able to anchor as a NT. The Colts have trained him to become a penetrator and not control the line of scrimmage. Maybe with tedhnique he can get better. He has not gained weight since college if Colts.com's roster is correct. If he could get his reps up past 35 and add 10 pounds of muscle maybe he could become a better NT. Thoughts?

I think he is not a penetrator at DT, he is more of a block occupier, he does fit the NT role but in a 4-3. With another 10 lbs, yes, I do believe he can be a good back up 3-4 NT if he does not lose athleticism.

Saints are releasing both Shaun Rogers and Aubrayo Franklin. Both of those are good 3-4 NTs but failed as 4-3 NTs.

I think he is not a penetrator at DT, he is more of a block occupier, he does fit the NT role but in a 4-3. With another 10 lbs, yes, I do believe he can be a good back up 3-4 NT if he does not lose athleticism.

Saints are releasing both Shaun Rogers and Aubrayo Franklin. Both of those are good 3-4 NTs but failed as 4-3 NTs.

I normally agree with you but come on...ten pounds won't make much of a difference to a guy who is already 300+

I would prefer going with Franklin or Rodgers in FA for the right price so we could go after more *. players early in the draft, but Johnson would be a decent fit as a back-up

Both DEs and the NT spots have to have quality backups so players can rotate in and out. At DE the colts have Maola, Redding, Nevis, Matthews, and probably Ogbu. We do not have a NT at all. We have to add one as a FA or we have to draft one. We would still need a backup. Maybe Antonio Johnson could be groom for a backup position. After college his combine and pro day numbers were: 6-3, 310lbs, 5.08F, 28Reps, 4.49S, 7.51C, and 1.68 Ten yard dash. These are excellent numbers for a DT. Johnson seems not to be able to anchor as a NT. The Colts have trained him to become a penetrator and not control the line of scrimmage. Maybe with tedhnique he can get better. He has not gained weight since college if Colts.com's roster is correct. If he could get his reps up past 35 and add 10 pounds of muscle maybe he could become a better NT. Thoughts?

Ya but can he grasp a man within a pile of other men and drag him to the ground without letting said man get any further up the line? This is the new scouting combine drill they should be having, how good you are at dragging men to the ground, while other men are trying to stop you....from dragging a guy to the ground. God i love this game.

were not getting webb either ... he is RFA.. that will cost us a #1 pick ( I believe that is the cost)

I would like to see is get Franklin or Rogers.. IF we can afford it? I like the resigning of Reggie and the pick ups of Redding and Justice (?) .. would hope to get Mathis or Grubbs, but again we are limited on $$..

Ta Amu ?? depends on when we pick a NT and if he is there.. Chapman ( Alabama NT ) looks to be there in the later rounds

I am looking forward to the new build and the draft

I think Chapman from Alabama will be there with the first pick in the third round. I also think Pagano/Manusky/Emanuel will "coach up" one or more of our own. Are they perfectly suited? No. But this transition will take time. We're not going to see Ngata/Lewis in the middle in year one - or likely ever. It's going to take some time to find the combo or combos that work. And to me, the run D can't get any worse than we've endured for, oh, ever, so frankly, any new look, any new approach, anything will be a step in the right direction.

were not getting webb either ... he is RFA.. that will cost us a #1 pick ( I believe that is the cost)

I would like to see is get Franklin or Rogers.. IF we can afford it? I like the resigning of Reggie and the pick ups of Redding and Justice (?) .. would hope to get Mathis or Grubbs, but again we are limited on $$..

Ta Amu ?? depends on when we pick a NT and if he is there.. Chapman ( Alabama NT ) looks to be there in the later rounds

I am looking forward to the new build and the draft

Chapman is a good player, but he may go a bit higher simply because he's a Saban guy. I really like him, the kid played with injury all year. I won't be surprised if he goes late 2. But it would be great to get him with our first 3rd.

Ta'amu is also a load, he'd be a great 3 or 4 also.

signing rogers or franklin or paul soliai would be great imo that should be the next move.

does anyone know if mathews can play NT? or iwould he compete for the DE?

He played DE/DT at Cincinnatti. He bulked up last year and lookd slower. At his original weight he could back up Redding.