Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An open letter to Andrew Luck

Phil

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hey, #12,

I haven't logged into the ol' Colts forum in... a while. In fact, I think I stopped being a mod right after you got drafted and other than lurking I've made like six posts since. Life got busy, and honestly, being a mod during that down season before we drafted you took my love of the game away, so I get it. 

I cried twice over your retirement. Once because it's sad to see you go; after your return last year, I was hoping to selfishly get a few more amazing years. Growing up with a Colts team that struggled, I was lucky to get all those years with Peyton and then the years we had with you. I cried when Peyton left, too, even knowing we had you to take over. I'm a weepy fan. 

The second time I cried, though, was when our fans booed you. I'm not sure who those folks are or what they're all about, but that was heartless and reprehensible. I wish those of us who loved and appreciated what you did for the team and the city could somehow erase that moment. We can't, though, and that's the sad part of fandom. Everyone gets to do what they want to do as a fan. Even the jerks. 

Now I know you're probably never going to see this post; it was super rare for a player to read the board back when the community was much, much smaller. But if you happen upon this, thanks, Andrew. Thanks for coming to a team that was falling apart and losing a legend and stepping up. Thanks for the amazing run of games, for the gutsy playoff comebacks, for the cool moments like you randomly serving as a fan's best-man on the fly. 

And thank you for stepping away for the good of your life. I think fans sometimes don't get that. If you're hurt, and it's making your life miserable, you need to take care of you. I am glad you had the strength to look out for your future and not be burdened by all of us wanting the wins and maybe not thinking clearly about your safety and your well-being. People need to learn that those who entertain us don't owe us their comfort, their bodies, their lives. You were wise beyond your years to realize you don't owe our fans your happiness. 

The Colts Nation will miss you, but I know that most of us will remember you with a smile. And the ones who won't... well, we can't choose our family, right? 

I won't say it doesn't hurt to see you go, but you'll always be one of our finest.

Very well said. I’m still in shock. But it is only a game.

I lost my beautiful niece Tuesday. Just 40 years old. It was unexpected. And although I’m going through this loss of Andrew, it’s nothing compared to the loss of a loved one.

I feel bad for those who can’t summon up a little empathy for this guy. Must be frustrating to be that kind of person.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I lost my beautiful niece Tuesday. Just 40 years old. It was unexpected. And although I’m going through this loss of Andrew, it’s nothing compared to the loss of a loved one.

I feel bad for those who can’t summon up a little empathy for this guy. Must be frustrating to be that kind of person.

My condolences on your loss.....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nice post Phil. It was just a few goof balls that boo'd. ESPN even made a big deal about some booing (of course). If 1000 people boo out of 50,000 than that doesn't show how the fanbase is. I would not have boo'd but sat there in shock as he ran off the field.

Were even a 1000 people at the game to begin with ? Haha

10 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Sorry to hear that.  RIP.

This was a very nice post . You are to be commended for being  so noble.

As for those who BOOed Andrew , I will admit that it was an ugly scene. I can , however, understand the motivation of these people. Andrew was handed millions of dollars every year. After 6 years of that kind of paychecks, I am sure that Andrew could have saved enough so that he  never needs to work again.

Yes he did get hurt, and get healed up , and get hurt again. This is what many of the fans are so unsympathetic about. 

You see, many of us ordinary people get hurt too. The difference is that when we get hurt, we have no choice about going back to work or not ! We are forced to go back to work, because we , the common workers who are the backbone of American society , simply do not have enough money to survive if we don't go back to work; For Andrew, he endured this for 6 years. For the rest of us , we must continue on for another 40 years, if we are lucky! For those who are not so lucky, we must keep working for 50, 60 , 70 years  ! 

I am happy that Andrew was able to get out of this situation. Sad to say though, I am also envious that he had the choice. And the sad fact is that  Andrew had this option  because we poor, sad, ordinary people used our money to buy game tickets . In a  very basic way, we paid his salary, yet he gets to retire because he didn't like getting hurt , while we have to work whether hurt or healthy !

I am a retired Veteran who had to work until I had been hurt so many times that I can never work or walk correctly again . I am happy that Andrew was able to  get out while he still had his health. But I also look at him walking across that field , and then look at my twisted back  and almost useless legs, and I feel so sad and disappointed that I could not  have been given such good fortune !

So Andrew makes some of us sad, wistful , angry or disappointed .

I will not Boo you Andrew . But I cannot bring myself to stand up and give three rousing cheers for you either !  At this point I just want you to slip quietly away , and let me concentrate on the Colts so that I don't have to dwell on the fact that a kid threw footballs for 6 years and then was very rich and never had to work again..

Goodbye and good luck Andrew .