Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TC day 11

CR91

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Yeah, I thought Rogers was looking great for the #4 spot a week ago, but Fountain and Cain went crazy at practice.  Haven’t heard of any splash plays from Rogers all TC - I think it’s slipping away for him...

Geez, I hope so. 

Can't stand having Rogers on the team ahead of Fountain, Cain.

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It seems everyone thought Luck was holding himself out of practice. Well Reich said he has not been medically cleared to practice. I find that interesting.

I think HH is going to make the team if we keep 4 TE. Undrafted streak stays intact.

The 4th TE is probably going to be on the PS.

• Like 1

Just now, CanuckColt said:

The 4th TE is probably going to be on the PS.

I kinda think we'll carry 4 TE's into games now that we don't have Hewitt in that FB/TE role. Usually we had Ebron/Doyle/Mo-Cox/Hewitt, but now that we don't have anybody in that blocking role, I think it's likely that we have a 4th TE.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I kinda think we'll carry 4 TE's into games now that we don't have Hewitt in that FB/TE role. Usually we had Ebron/Doyle/Mo-Cox/Hewitt, but now that we don't have anybody in that blocking role, I think it's likely that we have a 4th TE.

That is exactly what I heard someone on a podcast say. 

This is a great article. It has info from a doctor on calf injuries. Sounds exactly what happened here with Luck.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Fountain is playing his way onto this team.

Cain must have increased his concentration since the Bills game.

If the Colts keep only 5 WRs, I could see them being Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, and Rogers. With Fountain on the practice squad. (I just feel Rogers is more versatile than Fountain in the coaches eyes, because he can play slot as well as return kicks)

If they keep 6, I think Fountain makes it. 

Nobody has shown the reliability YET to handle kickoffs (Pascal) or punts (Rogers) so both of those guys will make the team prior to Cain and Fountain. 

Plus Pascal plays on coverage teams and tackles well. 

Until someone like Hines, Campbell or Cain/Fountain themselves show they can handle the return game then we will be cutting one or both and stand to lose them to another team on cut down day.

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Nobody has shown the reliability YET to handle kickoffs (Pascal) or punts (Rogers) so both of those guys will make the team prior to Cain and Fountain. 

Until someone like Hines, Campbell or Cain/Fountain themselves show they can handle the return game then we will be cutting one or both and stand to lose them to another team on cut down day.

I am leaning to them keeping six. TY, DF, Parris, Cain, and pascal, and Rogers. Fountain will probably end up on a different team. I read a article and he understands that he might not make it but he has to work hard to get on another team.

8 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Im not saying not good cause we didn't win im saying not good cause we looked so bad now granted there were only a few starting players out there but if your backups are that bad that is saying something.

Its been the same story since before Peyton manning. 

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I don't  see see cain and fountain  being cut. One of them,but not both. I think Roger's sticks and Pascal gets cut. Marcus johnson and Hogan will get picked up by another  team and whoever is cut between  cain and fountain  winds up on another team  as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hearing a lot that the o has struggled all camp but seeing tweets I am not seeing it. It’s not Luck but I don’t see them being bad. I also find it odd Bowen keeps saying DF doesn’t look like a 10m dollar man. But the last couple practices I see touchdowns and a couple chunk plays. Not sure what they are expecting. He won’t be TY and yes on a one year deal they probably did overpay a little.

On the O struggling in gneral.......... QB play an OL are the two things that have concerned me. How many times have we heard that guys at camp or having success against Nelson.... way too many for a guy who was a monster last year. Oliver IMO got the best of him vs the Bills too. On the QBs, Brissett and Walker's passes vs the Bills were poor to mediocre. I feel sorry for the WRs trying to compete for a spot.

On Funchess. I'm glad we have him simply because he'll be a great slot bully, and a tremendous RZ threat. Not sure he's worth 10M "WR" though. By paying him, we didn't lose anyone else (as far as we know), so I'm fine with the 1 year experiment. If he gets 800+ yards and 8 TDs, then IMO he'll be worth it. If he hits 1000 and makes the bonus to bring him to 13M, I'll be very happy! I'm predicting 600-700 yards and 7ish TDs. I'm also going to predict we only have 2 out of 3 back next year of Funch/Doyle/Ebron.

3 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Cain was unimpressive against the Bills.

Fountain outplayed him completely.

Cain had less snaps and less targets than Fountain. Cain made 2 nice grabs, and almost came down with a closely contested (and bad pass) circus catch in the end zone. Cain did drop one he should have caught late in the second on what looked like a sideline comeback though. Wasn't the best pass, was low, and looked like Cain was awkward and kind of down on his knees by the sideline to get it. It was a drop, but not a horrible drop.

Fountain did play very well, but had more snaps and more quality passes. Keep in mind, all of Cain's passes were from Walker, while all of Fountain's were from Kelly. And.... there was a very noticeable difference between Kelly and Walker. But regardless, Fountain looked great.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Purely my opinion, but if we can't count on at least one of Ebron/Doyle/Cox to block, then we need to get rid of one of them. We use 2 TE sets only about a quarter of the time, and we don't need 3 one trick ponies who can't block. Especially when 2 are paid near top 10 TE salaries.

Also, now that we have Funch who is basically a TE-Lite, we might see less 2 TE sets this year with Funch who is expected to play a decent role as slot bully. I honestly don't see a need for more than 3 if everyone is healthy. Doyle being dinged up with the oblique thing already isn't a good sign given his age and history anyway.

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Until someone like Hines, Campbell or Cain/Fountain themselves show they can handle the return game then we will be cutting one or both and stand to lose them to another team on cut down day

Hines was returning punts in game 1, so I think they are well aware of this. They need Hines to be able to return kicks. I'm sure that was part of the vision of drafting him. Versatility so they wouldn't have to keep two receivers they don't want for special teams... 

15 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I agree with ya to an extent, before the season we all were saying just how solid top to bottom this roster is, our depth guys should be showing out a bit better imo, but it is early yet and guys are still missing. Lets just see how the next few weeks play out and watch for improvement.

Agreed but they have a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

On the O struggling in gneral.......... QB play an OL are the two things that have concerned me. How many times have we heard that guys at camp or having success against Nelson.... way too many for a guy who was a monster last year. Oliver IMO got the best of him vs the Bills too. On the QBs, Brissett and Walker's passes vs the Bills were poor to mediocre. I feel sorry for the WRs trying to compete for a spot.

On Funchess. I'm glad we have him simply because he'll be a great slot bully, and a tremendous RZ threat. Not sure he's worth 10M "WR" though. By paying him, we didn't lose anyone else (as far as we know), so I'm fine with the 1 year experiment. If he gets 800+ yards and 8 TDs, then IMO he'll be worth it. If he hits 1000 and makes the bonus to bring him to 13M, I'll be very happy! I'm predicting 600-700 yards and 7ish TDs. I'm also going to predict we only have 2 out of 3 back next year of Funch/Doyle/Ebron.

Cain had less snaps and less targets than Fountain. Cain made 2 nice grabs, and almost came down with a closely contested (and bad pass) circus catch in the end zone. Cain did drop one he should have caught late in the second on what looked like a sideline comeback though. Wasn't the best pass, was low, and looked like Cain was awkward and kind of down on his knees by the sideline to get it. It was a drop, but not a horrible drop.

Fountain did play very well, but had more snaps and more quality passes. Keep in mind, all of Cain's passes were from Walker, while all of Fountain's were from Kelly. And.... there was a very noticeable difference between Kelly and Walker. But regardless, Fountain looked great.

Purely my opinion, but if we can't count on at least one of Ebron/Doyle/Cox to block, then we need to get rid of one of them. We use 2 TE sets only about a quarter of the time, and we don't need 3 one trick ponies who can't block. Especially when 2 are paid near top 10 TE salaries.

Also, now that we have Funch who is basically a TE-Lite, we might see less 2 TE sets this year with Funch who is expected to play a decent role as slot bully. I honestly don't see a need for more than 3 if everyone is healthy. Doyle being dinged up with the oblique thing already isn't a good sign given his age and history anyway.

Doyle is back st practice. We certainly can count on Doyle to be a good blocker. Reich and Luck Love TE so it wouldn’t be surprising to keep 4. You do have a good point with DF.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Hines was returning punts in game 1, so I think they are well aware of this. They need Hines to be able to return kicks. I'm sure that was part of the vision of drafting him. Versatility so they wouldn't have to keep two receivers they don't want for special teams... 

I'm with you there!

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Doyle is back st practice. We certainly can count on Doyle to be a good blocker. Reich and Luck Love TE so it wouldn’t be surprising to keep 4. You do have a good point with DF.

Purely my opinion, but I think Luck just loves guys that get open consistently and catch the ball. In the last several years, he's really only had two guys (one WR and one TE) each season that could consistently do that. Last year it was Ebron and TY, before it was Doyle and TY. 

And, every QB loves a big bodied athletic TE that can catch the ball. So sure, Luck loves a TE, but does he really want more 2 TE sets (normal downs) when he has potentially new big and speedy Xs (Funch and Cain), and new speedy freaks at at Z/Slot (Campbell and Fountain).

Just me, but I only like 2 TE sets in goal line and short yardage situations. For that, you only need 3 on the 53 and 1 on the PS if everyone is healthy. 

All that said, I really don't care if it's 3 or 4 on the 53 as long as they are utilizing them, and most importantly, successfully utilizing them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

Purely my opinion, but I think Luck just loves guys that get open consistently and catch the ball. In the last several years, he's really only had two guys (one WR and one TE) each season that could consistently do that. Last year it was Ebron and TY, before it was Doyle and TY. 

And, every QB loves a big bodied athletic TE that can catch the ball. So sure, Luck loves a TE, but does he really want more 2 TE sets (normal downs) when he has potentially new big and speedy Xs (Funch and Cain), and new speedy freaks at at Z/Slot (Campbell and Fountain).

Just me, but I only like 2 TE sets in goal line and short yardage situations. For that, you only need 3 on the 53 and 1 on the PS if everyone is healthy. 

All that said, I really don't care if it's 3 or 4 on the 53 as long as they are utilizing them, and most importantly, successfully utilizing them.

I think luck has more weapons at WR he has had most of his career. It will be fun to see him with all his new toys. I expect him to really go to DF a lot just because he is a bigger body like Ebron and it creates mismatches. The fact we do have more talent at WR might only having them carry 3 TE. It’s going to be interesting on cut down day. They also might think that 6 WR is more valuable then that 4th TE. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think luck has more weapons at WR he has had most of his career. It will be fun to see him with all his new toys. I expect him to really go to DF a lot just because he is a bigger body like Ebron and it creates mismatches. The fact we do have more talent at WR might only having them carry 3 TE. It’s going to be interesting on cut down day. They also might think that 6 WR is more valuable then that 4th TE. 

I agree on all of that!

Pre-camp, I was incredibly giddy about all the weapons. A little less giddy now with Luck being hobbled. It really stinks that he's not able to build the chemistry with the new guys. Campbell being out is also a huge bummer. Still hoping things improve over the next 4 weeks.

I agree on Funch getting a lot of targets, but I'd bet that changes as the year goes along. Early, I think he'll be a safety valve. Later in the year, as Luck builds chemistry with the other newbies, I think we'll see more down field action.

As this offense matures, I think it will challenge every inch of the field (assuming Luck is healthy). I'd bet Hilton's YPC is at an all time high, and Luck's YPA also hits a new high. With the speed we have now, there's no reason for TY to get doubled like he did last year, and there's no reason we shouldn't see some Manning type go-routes.

• Like 1