Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current roster grades (following format of CFN Scout website previews) - 2019 version

rock8591

I did this back in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014. My following post in this thread will contain much of my thoughts about this year to avoid one overly long post.

Always liked CFN (formerly wwwDOTCollegeFootballNewsDOTcom) previews of each team, from year to year. Detailed, but also not too lengthy to read for the average fan.

e.g.

https://forums.colts.com/topic/58052-if-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2018-version/

http://forums.colts.com/topic/52213-if-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2017-version

http://forums.colts.com/topic/46131-if-nfl-teams-and-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2016-version/

http://forums.colts.com/topic/37422-if-nfl-teams-and-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2015-version/

http://forums.colts.com/topic/31002-if-nfl-teams-and-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview/

The following chart is NOT set in stone; there will be exceptions for players on the roster bubble. Certain players may play DE in sub-packages, while playing LB in base 4-3 packages. Of course, players will be injured at some point in the season, leading to replacements being called up.

Etc, etc, etc, you get the idea, it will not be accounting for each and every hypothetical but is a general guide.

Roster.jpg

Offense -----

Star of the offense: Andrew Luck

Player who has to step up and become a star: Parris Campbell
Unsung star on the rise: Marlon Mack

3 pro-bowl candidates: Luck, Quenton Nelson, TY Hilton

Strengths: QB, OL, TE, overall depth

Weaknesses: sure-thing all-Pro at RB, uncertainty at WR2

Defense-----

Star of the defense: Darius Leonard

Player who has to step up and become a star: Kemoko Turay and/or Tyquan Lewis
Unsung star on the rise: Pierre Desir

3 pro-bowl candidates: Leonard, Malik Hooker, Justin Houston

Strengths: DE, LB, overall depth

Weaknesses: sure-thing all-Pro at DT

10 best players -----

1. Andrew Luck (QB)

2. Darius Leonard (LB)

3. Quenton Nelson (G)

4. TY Hilton (WR)

5. Ryan Kelly (C)

6. Anthony Castonzo (T)

7. Eric Ebron (TE)

8. Malik Hooker (S)

9. Pierre Desir (CB)

10. Justin Houston (DE)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rock8591 said:

The following chart is NOT set in stone; there will be exceptions for players on the roster bubble. Certain players may play DE in sub-packages, while playing LB in base 4-3 packages. Of course, players will be injured at some point in the season, leading to replacements being called up.

Etc, etc, etc, you get the idea, it will not be accounting for each and every hypothetical but is a general guide.

Roster.jpg

Offense -----

Unsung star on the rise: Marlon Mack

Defense-----

Strengths: DE, LB, overall depth

10 best players -----

1. Andrew Luck (QB)

2. Darius Leonard (LB)

3. Quenton Nelson (G)

4. TY Hilton (WR)

5. Ryan Kelly (C)

6. Anthony Castonzo (T)

7. Eric Ebron (TE)

8. Malik Hooker (S)

9. Pierre Desir (CB)

10. Justin Houston (DE)

14 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Roster.jpg

Very well done. Should Leonard and Nelson be in blue as elite?   They were all pros last year. 

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

Very well done. Should Leonard and Nelson be in blue as elite?   They were all pros last year. 

If a player is on the cusp, I downgraded them from elite to solid, solid to good, etc so it doesn’t mask weaknesses. 

The only player that I upgraded slightly is Mo Cox. May not have a resume as a pass catcher yet, but is a devastating blocker, and also not injury prone at all like Swoope Dogg.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My last post in this thread, unless someone else replies.

Here's my updated chart, after the first round of FA, draft, and the start/end of the 2nd round of FA. Again, it's not set in stone; it is dependent on training camp, players on roster bubble, potential signings in the 2nd-3rd round of FA, sub-packages, injuries, etc. But more of a depth chart for a base 4-3 package.

With some confirmed departures: JJ Wilcox, Hassan Ridgeway, Al Woods, and Dontrelle Inman, and some projected departures (Marcus Johnson, Ryan Hewitt, JaMarcus Webb, Al'Quadin Muhammad, Jalen Collins, Derrick Kindred, George Odum) - I have also predicted a FA DT signing, and my gut says Bennie Logan.

Depth-chart.jpg

Offense -----

Unsung star on the rise: Braden Smith

Defense-----

Strengths: DE, LB, S, overall depth

10 best players -----

1. Andrew Luck (QB)

2. Darius Leonard (LB)

3. Quenton Nelson (G)

4. TY Hilton (WR)

5. Ryan Kelly (C)

6. Anthony Castonzo (T)

7. Eric Ebron (TE)

8. Malik Hooker (S)

9. Pierre Desir (CB)

10. Braden Smith (T)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rock8591 said:

My last post in this thread, unless someone else replies.

Here's my updated chart, after the first round of FA, draft, and the start/end of the 2nd round of FA. Again, it's not set in stone; it is dependent on training camp, players on roster bubble, potential signings in the 2nd-3rd round of FA, sub-packages, injuries, etc. But more of a depth chart for a base 4-3 package.

On my chart, Mack is still yellow, Kelly lighter green, but Nelson is blue already, Hunt is green, and Hooker is darker green. And Vinny is gark green at worst. (FG pct doesn't matter imo until it's over 80ish, all that matters is clutchness.)