Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If NFL teams (and the Colts) had a CFN Scout preview - 2016 version

rock8591

I had a similar thread last year and the year before: http://forums.colts.com/topic/37422-if-nfl-teams-and-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2015-version/

Here's my thoughts of this upcoming year thusfar., assuming no major FA signings remaining.

10 best players - - - - -

1. Andrew Luck (QB)

2. TY Hilton (WR)

3. Vontae Davis (CB)

4. Henry Anderson (DE)

5. Donte Moncrief (WR)

6. Anthony Castonzo  (OT)

7. Jack Mewhort (OG)

8. Robert Mathis (OLB)

9. Kendall Langford (DE)

10. Mike Adams (FS)

Offense -----

Star of the offense: Andrew Luck

Player who has to step up and become a star: Ryan Kelly and Hugh Thornton/Denzelle Good/Joe Haeg (C and RG combo)
Unsung star on the rise: Jack Mewhort

3 pro-bowl candidates: Andrew Luck, TY Hilton, Ryan Kelly

Significantly injured player: Dwayne Allen

Strengths: QB, WRs

Weaknesses: Proven running game

Defense-----

Star of the defense: Vontae Davis

Player who has to step up and become a star: David Parry, Zach Kerr, and/or Hassan Ridgeway
Unsung star on the rise: Clayton Geathers

3 pro-bowl candidates: Vontae Davis, Robert Mathis, Mike Adams (voters love pure stats, e.g. tackles, sacks, and INTs)

Significantly injured player: Arthur Jones

Strengths: Overall depth

Weaknesses: Pass rush

50 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

I had a similar thread last year and the year before: http://forums.colts.com/topic/37422-if-nfl-teams-and-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2015-version/

Here's my thoughts of this upcoming year thusfar., assuming no major FA signings remaining.

10 best players - - - - -

1. Andrew Luck (QB)

2. TY Hilton (WR)

3. Vontae Davis (CB)

4. Henry Anderson (DE)

5. Donte Moncrief (WR)

6. Anthony Castonzo  (OT)

7. Jack Mewhort (OG)

8. Robert Mathis (OLB)

9. Kendall Langford (DE)

10. Mike Adams (FS)

Offense -----

Star of the offense: Andrew Luck

Player who has to step up and become a star: Ryan Kelly and Hugh Thornton/Denzelle Good/Joe Haeg (C and RG combo)
Unsung star on the rise: Jack Mewhort

3 pro-bowl candidates: Andrew Luck, TY Hilton, Ryan Kelly

Significantly injured player: Dwayne Allen

Strengths: QB, WRs

Weaknesses: Proven running game

Defense-----

Star of the defense: Vontae Davis

Player who has to step up and become a star: David Parry, Zach Kerr, and/or Hassan Ridgeway
Unsung star on the rise: Clayton Geathers

3 pro-bowl candidates: Vontae Davis, Robert Mathis, Mike Adams (voters love pure stats, e.g. tackles, sacks, and INTs)

Significantly injured player: Arthur Jones

Strengths: Overall depth

Weaknesses: Pass rush

Not sure if by significantly injured player you mean one that is going to get injured or one that has struggled with injuries in the past... I'm assuming a player who was injured in the past, and am hoping nobody gets injured.

Ten Best Players

1) Andrew Luck

2) Vontae Davis

3) Anthony Castonzo

4) TY Hilton

5) Frank Gore

6) Ryan Kelly

7) D'Qwell Jackson

8) Robert Mathis

9) Arthur Jones

10) Pat McAffee

Offense

Star: Andrew Luck

Player who has to step up: Phillip Dorsett/Donte Moncrief or Dwayne Allen/Jack Doyel/Swoope (i.e., someone besides TY to become a star in the receiving game)

3 Pro-bowl candidates: Luck, TY, D. Allen

Significantly injured player: Dwayne Allen/Hugh Thornton (I am hoping Thornton can break out this year)

Strengths: QB, Speed at WR, depth on the OL (not saying I'm thinking the starting OL itself is going to be great, but it seems like we finally will have solid depth at this position)

Weaknesses: Lack of depth at QB, RB, TE, WR

Defense

Star: Robert Mathis (I'd say Vontae, but I think he's going to struggle a bit if we can't get a pass rush)

Player who has to step up: Patrick Robinson/Darius Butler/D'Juon Smith (we need or CBs besides Vontae to step up and be better than last year)

3 Pro-bowl candidates: D'Qwell Jackson (Tackling Machine), Robert Mathis (Sack Machine), Mike Adams (he's been to the past 2, and if Vontae is shutting down one side of the field, I think the picks/stats are going to happen in the middle)

Significantly Injured Player: Henry Anderson (I'm personally more optimistic about Art Jones starting the season fully healthy than I am about Anderson coming of a mid/late season knee injury as a big man)

Strengths: DL (I think between Jones, Langford, Anderson, Parry, Ridgeway, Kerr, McGill, Quarles and the UDFAs -- whoever emerges to the 53 man roster, this will be the best DL of the Pagano era, hands down)

Weaknesses: Lack of depth in the secondary, lack of pass rush, unknown ability for ILB to play a role in pass coverage

I'll Play

Ten Best Players

1) T.Y. Hilton

2) Vontae Davis

3) Andrew Luck

4) Anthony Castonzo

5) Frank Gore

6) Henry Anderson

7) D'Qwell Jackson

8) Philip Dorset

9) Adam Viniterie (sp?)

10) Pat McAffee

Offense

Star: T.Y. Hilton

Player who has to step up: Andrew Luck.  We've had glimpses of how great he can be, he needs to do it more consistently

3 Pro-bowl candidates: Luck, TY, A. Castonzo

Significantly injured player: Hugh Thornton I think Thornton could be a pro-bowl level guard but he has got to get in shape and he has to stay healthy.

Strengths: WRs, QB, TE, left side of the oline.

Weaknesses: Right side of oline, consistency

Defense

Star: Henry Anderson he was impressive as a rookie.  I expect him to want to make up for missing half the season last year

Player who has to step up: Patrick Robinson/Clayton Geathers.

3 Pro-bowl candidates: D'Qwell Jackson (Tackling Machine), Robert Mathis (Sack Machine), Vontae davis

Significantly Injured Player: Vontae Davis.  He said he played most of last year with a knee injury.  Healthy, he is a top 3 corner in the league, injured he's just a good CB.

Strengths: DL, CB, Safety

Weakness:  Pass rush, coverage between the hash marks.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Never thought I'd see the day when a Colts defense's biggest weakness is their pass rush, but here it is.

We don't know that at this point. Pass rush is not limited to one player on the D. We can all have opinions on what we have or don't have but it is not really known at this time. We have training camp and 5 pre seasons games to get through before any questions will be answered. We don't even know if Grigson is through looking and acquiring more players.