Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Isaiah Crowell?

24 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Colts are not so bad that they need to look at and/or sign every cast off from every other team.

Just because a player was released from another team doesn't necessarily make them a "cast off" though.  Over the last 3 years, his ypc averages are 4.8, 4.1 and 4.8.  I've said numerous times that YPC aren't the end-all/be-all in terms of judging a RB for numerous reasons, but these numbers are over a large enough sample size that, imo, I'd at least give him a very close look.

• Like 4

RB is just a tough gig. The are the true definition of "Not For Long." You go from getting a 3-year deal, then setting the single-game rushing record for a franchise to being released in a matter of a couple of months.

The foot and ankle injuries are enough to make me stay away...but if the price was really cheap...I would bring in him to compete for a role.

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Just because a player was released from another team doesn't necessarily make them a "cast off" though.  Over the last 3 years, his ypc averages are 4.8, 4.1 and 4.8.  I've said numerous times that YPC aren't the end-all/be-all in terms of judging a RB for numerous reasons, but these numbers are over a large enough sample size that, imo, I'd at least give him a very close look.

Just because a player is released does not make him a cast-off, that is true.  But in this case it does.  he has had a few monster games, but most of his games he gets minimal carries, minimal ypc and minimal yards.

Additionally, I personally, do not want the Colts to sign a player that posted a depiction of a police officer getting his throat slashed by a masked assailant on his instagram account.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What is it with all the people wanting another RB. Last time I checked we have three pretty good young backs who all produced. Plus they are all on rookie deals.

It's actually Reich who said they wanted to add to the RBs (he didn't say that outright...but it was heavily implied..especially considering they were at the Combine when he made his comment).

And then it was reported that Ajayi was coming in for a visit. That is where all a lot of this discussion and speculation has come from.

Me personally...I think the RB group is decent...but adding someone that can catch passes and run well enough would help it improve.

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Colts have 1 really good back, 1 pretty good back and Wilkins.

That was kinda my point about Crowell... that he might fill a short yardage role at a low cost. :dunno:

But I forgot about the whole instagram thing.... my bad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

That was kinda my point about Crowell... that he might fill a short yardage role at a low cost. :dunno:

I am of the camp that the Colts need to add a RB.  I just don't think Crowell offers anything different than Wilkins and perhaps even less because I think Wilkins will improve.

10 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

But I forgot about the whole instagram thing.... my bad.

Even if that incident never happened I would not want Crowell but with that incident, I may go so far as to quit being a Colts fan if he were signed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Colts have 1 really good back, 1 pretty good back and Wilkins.

......and Wilkins......

You mean the guy with the 5.6 yards per carry average and caught 18 passes out of the backfield as our 3rd option? Yes, he fumbled twice on effort plays....just needs to go down or secure better - rookie mistakes.

Do you remember the two passes Hines flat out dropped that would have been quick slant TD's.....? 

They both made rookie mistakes but don't paint him into that corner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Why?

Cheaper, fresher, hungrier and probably/hopefully hand picked with a plan to fit in our scheme. Also due to age/experience probably more willing to fit into a scheme as well.

I think one of the key component to CB's team building philosophy is finding guys that are hungry and will make each other compete for each other, don't see that with a veteran who been passed around 2-3-4-5 teams before. Could be wrong, like Gore for example.

• Like 1

There are some Wilkins haters around here. Why I don't know. The kid can play; he's just not a big time playmaker. He's the perfect #3 or #4 back; in a pinch, he can come in and get the job done. He had a couple of untimely fumbles; you can fix that, and I don't recall seeing him fumble the second half of the season. 

As for signing a FA running back, I suppose it could happen. I would prefer a "pounder, blocker, receiver" type draft pick myself.  The guy Turbin was supposed to be last year. Some additional talent in the backfield would not be a bad thing. 

2 hours ago, rayski said:

Cheaper, fresher, hungrier and probably/hopefully hand picked with a plan to fit in our scheme. Also due to age/experience probably more willing to fit into a scheme as well.

I think one of the key component to CB's team building philosophy is finding guys that are hungry and will make each other compete for each other, don't see that with a veteran who been passed around 2-3-4-5 teams before. Could be wrong, like Gore for example.

That's interesting.

But a back like Crowell wouldn't be expensive and would be easily affordable, especially with all the cap space we have. And he's already a proven commodity where as a un-named, unknown 6th or 7th rounder could possibly be garbage and not even make the team. You still need some talent to play in this league regardless how hungry you are to do well.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

There are some Wilkins haters around here. Why I don't know. The kid can play; he's just not a big time playmaker. He's the perfect #3 or #4 back; in a pinch, he can come in and get the job done. He had a couple of untimely fumbles; you can fix that, and I don't recall seeing him fumble the second half of the season. 

As for signing a FA running back, I suppose it could happen. I would prefer a "pounder, blocker, receiver" type draft pick myself.  The guy Turbin was supposed to be last year. Some additional talent in the backfield would not be a bad thing. 

CB likes the 4 backs he has IMO. So any back signed pre-draft won't get much if any guaranteed $$$. I do think he will draft one to compete.

We need Crowell like we need holes in our heads. I keep hearing "culture" ad nauseum, and if we want to error on the cautious side, I'll pass here.

Keep in mind he got kicked out of UGA (which is a hard place to get kicked out of) for multiple ongoing issues including guns, drugs, and other behavior problems. If that were it, I'd forgive/forget. Except he caught a serious case of the stupids again when he posted a pic or vid of a cop getting his throat cut on social media a year or so ago.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

We need Crowell like we need holes in our heads. I keep hearing "culture" ad nauseum, and if we want to error on the cautious side, I'll pass here.

Keep in mind he got kicked out of UGA (which is a hard place to get kicked out of) for multiple ongoing issues including guns, drugs, and other behavior problems. If that were it, I'd forgive/forget. Except he caught a serious case of the stupids again when he posted a pic or vid of a cop getting his throat cut on social media a year or so ago.

Wowza!    What a post!

Keep ‘em coming!!    :thmup:

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wowza!    What a post!

Keep ‘em coming!!    :thmup:

I'm from Indy but moved to ATL over a decade ago. I'm surrounded by Dawg fans, and remember the Crowell drama well. He was such a great talent. Got the chance to start his freshman year, and could have been really special had he spent his career there. He just did really stupid stuff. Like I said, had he not done the silly SM stuff a year or so ago, all that college stupid stuff would be in the past and forgotten. Just seems unstable and unwilling to stop stepping on his own dick.

15 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm from Indy but moved to ATL over a decade ago. I'm surrounded by Dawg fans, and remember the Crowell drama well. He was such a great talent. Got the chance to start his freshman year, and could have been really special had he spent his career there. He just did really stupid stuff. Like I said, had he not done the silly SM stuff a year or so ago, all that college stupid stuff would be in the past and forgotten. Just seems unstable and unwilling to stop stepping on his own dick.

He was one of Mark Richt’s finest

Can you guess that I am not a MR or UGa fan

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

......and Wilkins......

You mean the guy with the 5.6 yards per carry average and caught 18 passes out of the backfield as our 3rd option? Yes, he fumbled twice on effort plays....just needs to go down or secure better - rookie mistakes.

Do you remember the two passes Hines flat out dropped that would have been quick slant TD's.....? 

They both made rookie mistakes but don't paint him into that corner.

Yes, that's him and my assessment of him not being a good running back have nothing to do with his fumbles.  Actually, I think his fumbles were two of his best runs, until the end because he ran tough on those plays.  But most of the time he goes down from first contact too often for what I like to see in a RB.  He's not all bad, he has good quickness and good speed and when the line opens a hole he will take advantage of it.  But RBs that can do that are a dime a dozen, so I put him in that category of just another guy.

9 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Guess I started a pointless thread by forgetting about Crowell’s instagram deal... and I didn’t know he flaked his way off the team at Georgia.

I swear.... you need a score card to keep up with this off-field crap anymore. :facepalm:

Anyway.... I’d still like to see Ballard unearth a power/smash mouth RB to add that element to our ground game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pacolts56 said:

Guess I started a pointless thread by forgetting about Crowell’s instagram deal... and I didn’t know he flaked his way off the team at Georgia.

I swear.... you need a score card to keep up with this off-field crap anymore. :facepalm:

Anyway.... I’d still like to see Ballard unearth a power/smash mouth RB to add that element to our ground game.

I'm sure if he's coming to visit, Ballard is doing his homework. 

If Ballard thinks he has his head on straight, he might be worth it on a prove it type reasonable deal. I'm all for second and third chances. He just has some major flags. Some people do learn, and change. Some not so much. It's a long shot IMO. I do love a good news story where kids/guys turn things around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

I'd forgotten about him getting kicked out of Georgia and I didn't know about the instagram thing so, yeah pass from me too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, that's him and my assessment of him not being a good running back have nothing to do with his fumbles.  Actually, I think his fumbles were two of his best runs, until the end because he ran tough on those plays.  But most of the time he goes down from first contact too often for what I like to see in a RB.  He's not all bad, he has good quickness and good speed and when the line opens a hole he will take advantage of it.  But RBs that can do that are a dime a dozen, so I put him in that category of just another guy.

I agree that he had his moments of going down at first contact. But, there were plenty of others where he didn't - including the two fumbles and the one long TD off left tackle that I recall off the dome. 

Mack was accused of that as well after his rookie season - except for his straight arm to Clowney. He fixed those issues and ended up 3rd or 4th in yards after contact last year.

Right now he may be a 'jag' but he COULD make that 2nd year leap and prove himself!??!