Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Devin Funchess (Merge)

CR91

On 3/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, runthepost said:

Still would of rather had Cole Beasley, Golden Tate over DF. He’s basically an under size tight end playing reciever but he does give us a big body reciever finally

Hmmmm?

Wonder when the last time it was that Colts had an under sized tight end playng receiver?

Hmmmm?

Could it have been.......    last year.....   with Eric Ebron?!?       Nahhhh,  that couldn't possibly have been it.     All Ebron did was catch a league leading 13 TD's.     Who'd forget that?

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hmmmm?

Wonder when the last time it was that Colts had an under sized tight end playng receiver?

Hmmmm?

Could it have been.......    last year.....   with Eric Ebron?!?       Nahhhh,  that couldn't possibly have been it.     All Ebron did was catch a league leading 13 TD's.     Who'd forget that?

but we already have one Ebron.. 

i think that is kind of his point, he'd rather have another type at WR2

How did I not realize DF played in a SB his rookie year.

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

The Fair Game episode with Funch was more or less a little QA first half, and then "Cooking with Funch" second half. 

He gave out his shrimp Alfredo recipe lol. 

not too much about him joining the colts.

I imagine it was taped before he signed. 

15 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

but we already have one Ebron.. 

i think that is kind of his point, he'd rather have another type at WR2

There's no law anywhere that says you can only have one of anything.    Whether it's speed, or hands, or route running, or size....

Ballard and Reich know what they have.   They know what they plan to do in the draft.   Maybe they're planning for a speed guy in the draft.    Or a possession receiver in the draft.    All sorts of possibilities.

And I say all this as someone who isn't a Funchess fan and didn't like the signing.

But I'm willing to give DF a year to prove me wrong....   prove all of us wrong....

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's no law anywhere that says you can only have one of anything.    Whether it's speed, or hands, or route running, or size....

Ballard and Reich know what they have.   They know what they plan to do in the draft.   Maybe they're planning for a speed guy in the draft.    Or a possession receiver in the draft.    All sorts of possibilities.

And I say all this as someone who isn't a Funchess fan and didn't like the signing.

But I'm willing to give DF a year to prove me wrong....   prove all of us wrong....

I doubt anyone will be cheering for him to fail. I hope he does so well, he hits his 3M bonus.

• Like 1

I really don’t care about the $$ side of football that much so I don’t get the resentment some of you have concerning this deal, especially since most of his deals have been celebrated league wide.  However, I do care about the proposed PLAN they have for him in the field...yes a plan.  That’s what stuck out for me. Our FO has vision and if they think they can continue (Ebron) to get a player many others think is average or a bust or maybe even below average and develop him into a valuable player, then more power to them.  We will be able to acquire talent Despite picking at the end of the round.  It will put us closer to competing with Darth Bellichik. We’re never going to get a plug and play top shelf LT in the draft unless Ballard finds ways like he is doing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh Lord.

Really, really?

You think you know more than Ballard?

Here's what Reich says about Funchess:

re: Devin Funchess, Reich says he has "good feet, good instincts and good body control and body quickness.... Helps separate at the top of routes.... Watch the way this guy runs routes."

I think I value Ballard's & Reich's opinion over yours.

Let's give DV a chance to at least put a Colt uniform and play a game or two. Lol

36 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Oh Lord.

Really, really?

You think you know more than Ballard?

Here's what Reich says about Funchess:

re: Devin Funchess, Reich says he has "good feet, good instincts and good body control and body quickness.... Helps separate at the top of routes.... Watch the way this guy runs routes."

I think I value Ballard's & Reich's opinion over yours.

Let's give DV a chance to at least put a Colt uniform and play a game or two. Lol

Swing and a miss!   Nice try.

I know what Ballard and Reich have said.   And I have DEFENDED THEM BOTH in countless posts.  I likely did in the part of the post that you conveniently deleted.   I’ve said over and over to posters that I trust Ballard and Reich and hope that the year we gave Funchess proves me wrong.   And the worst that happens if it doesn’t work out is that it’s a one year deal that comes off the books after the 19 season.

Ive stated my position to establish credibility.  That even though I disagree with the signing, I  still support Ballard and Reich because they’ve earned it.   I’m speaking to other posters who trashed the signing on Day One and who continue to trash the signing weeks later.

And you’d know all this if you simply bothered to read and not look for a sentence you think you can play “gotcha” on.

You wasted your time and mine.

Congratulations.    :facepalm:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Swing and a miss!   Nice try.

I know what Ballard and Reich have said.   And I have DEFENDED THEM BOTH in countless posts.  I likely did in the part of the post that you conveniently deleted.   I’ve said over and over to posters that I trust Ballard and Reich and hope that the year we gave Funchess proves me wrong.   And the worst that happens if it doesn’t work out is that it’s a one year deal that comes off the books after the 19 season.

Ive stated my position to establish credibility.  That even though I disagree with the signing, I  still support Ballard and Reich because they’ve earned it.   I’m speaking to other posters who trashed the signing on Day One and who continue to trash the signing weeks later.

And you’d know all this if you simply bothered to read and not look for a sentence you think you can play “gotcha” on.

You wasted your time and mine.

Congratulations.    :facepalm:

When you said "Swing and a miss!" I lost it, it reminded of me of Bob Uecker announcing Baseball :funny:

10 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's a freaky stat:

How in the world is that possible? This type of discrepancy must have some underlying reason. This cannot be pure chance. 

I've said a few times his best position would be working out of the slot. He's never got great separation outside in the WR1 or WR2 spot. He does however do better in crossing routes vs LBs and shallow DBs. 

Not sure why the huge drop disparity between his outside WR time and his slot snaps. It's well documented that he tries to body catch the ball. Perhaps in the slot, the ball is out in front of him, and he's forced to catch with his hands. 

This is why I'm not huge fan of him at WR2. I think he'd be a fantastic option as a possession/slot guy though. It also would help in blocking given where the slot typically lines up.  

From what I have read he is a really good blocker. Put TY and Cain or whoever wins that outside slot and funchess in the slot. Then add Ebron and Doyle to the mix. We could be lethal. Mix in the running game with Mack and Hines as our little speedster. We could be loaded. Everyone wanted a slot receiver well maybe Funchess is that guy.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Another interesting stat as why funchess might have great success with Luck.

I love this. This is the type of thing I expect some of our journalists to do but none of them ever does. It's such a disappointment that we have to wait for the national guys to get interested in what we are doing in order to get some valuable information. Warren Sharp is one of the best and most worthy NFL-related follows on twitter. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Another interesting stat as why funchess might have great success with Luck.

wouldn't put too much into this. there are some huge disconnects too. especially in the TD category. what would make the data much better, is to split out what snaps were out of the slot, and if outside, L or R.

4 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

wouldn't put too much into this. there are some huge disconnects too. especially in the TD category. what would make the data much better, is to split out what snaps were out of the slot, and if outside, L or R.

I also wouldn't put too much into the fact that Newton was off target a lot when throwing the football. Take away his short passes threw to McCaffrey and the attention given to Olsen when he is in the game and there wasn't much going on anywhere else on the field. Newton was poor at utilizing what weapons he had.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I also wouldn't put too much into the fact that Newton was off target a lot when throwing the football. Take away his short passes threw to McCaffrey and the attention given to Olsen when he is in the game and there wasn't much going on anywhere else on the field. Newton was poor at utilizing what weapons he had.

Newton took a big step forward last year in accuracy.... was it him improving, or having different receivers. 

The Panthers drafted a WR (DJ Moore) in the late first round that took over the #1WR spot last year. His catch rate was much better than DF's. And that's a rookie.

In short, the WRs catching outside balls from Newton all had higher catch rates. You can't on one hand say Newton sucks throwing everything but short balls, but then not acknowledge that other WRs were catching WR1 and 2 balls at a higher rate than DF.

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe the panthers didn’t put him in the right situation to succeed. On top of that the panthers just fell apart the second half of the season. There was a lot going on in that organization including Newton’s bad shoulder.

I truly hope that Reich figures out a way to get the most out of his talents. He had 4 years there, in multiple positions, and he struggled (with the same things he struggled with in college). Sometimes all that's needed is a fresh start in a new place, with a new QB and coaches. I just can be intellectually dishonest and ignore all the bad. My expectations are tempered, but I'll be happy as a pig in sheet if he turns the corner and balls out this year. Seems like a good kid that's ready to work hard. 

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Newton took a big step forward last year in accuracy.... was it him improving, or having different receivers. 

The Panthers drafted a WR (DJ Moore) in the late first round that took over the #1WR spot last year. His catch rate was much better than DF's. And that's a rookie.

In short, the WRs catching outside balls from Newton all had higher catch rates. You can't on one hand say Newton sucks throwing everything but short balls, but then not acknowledge that other WRs were catching WR1 and 2 balls at a higher rate than DF.

Newton's downfield passing?

2018- 67.9% -7.2 avg- QBR 55.5 -

McCaffery- 107 catches- 8.1 ys avg -867 yds with 6 tds

Moore-55 catches-14.3 avg-788 yds with 2 tds

Funchess- 44 catches-12.5 avg-549 yds with 4 tds

These numbers show that McCaffery had more catches than Moore and Funchess combined.

Newton's average per pass is 7.2 yds

You want to throw numbers out here they are.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Newton's downfield passing?

2018- 67.9% -7.2 avg- QBR 55.5 -

McCaffery- 107 catches- 8.1 ys avg -867 yds with 6 tds

Moore-55 catches-14.3 avg-788 yds with 2 tds

Funchess- 44 catches-12.5 avg-549 yds with 4 tds

These numbers show that McCaffery had more catches than Moore and Funchess combined.

Newton's average per pass is 7.2 yds

You want to throw numbers out here they are.

Here some numbers back at ya...

Funchess's catch % the last 4 years (starting with year 1) playing WR1 and 2.

49.2 / 39.7 / 56.8 / 55.7 (this is incredibly awful by any NFL rating)

DJ Moore's catch rate his rookie season playing WR1..... 67.1... and had more yards his rookie season than Funchess did in his first or second, and last season.  I'm sure you saw that, but chose to show only things that fit your narrative. 

12 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Here some numbers back at ya...

Funchess's catch % the last 4 years (starting with year 1) playing WR1 and 2.

49.2 / 39.7 / 56.8 / 55.7 (this is incredibly awful by any NFL rating)

DJ Moore's catch rate his rookie season playing WR1..... 67.1... and had more yards his rookie season than Funchess did in his first or second, and last season.  I'm sure you saw that, but chose to show only things that fit your narrative. 

Back to you- Newton was 7/29 of passes over 21 yards. That is a whopping 24.1 percent.

He had 1 pass over 25 yards completed in the whole year of 2018.

You see, numbers can show anything you want them to show but look at these numbers. You said earlier about how Newton did this and did that but the numbers show he was 27th in the league. Then you look at McCaffery's numbers and it is obvious he was the man while others were just there and didn't have that much of an impact.

My narrative?  What about yours?

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Back to you- Newton was 7/29 of passes over 21 yards. That is a whopping 24.1 percent.

He had 1 pass over 25 yards completed in the whole year of 2018.

You see, numbers can show anything you want them to show but look at these numbers. You said earlier about how Newton did this and did that but the numbers show he was 27th in the league. Then you look at McCaffery's numbers and it is obvious he was the man while others were just there and didn't have that much of an impact.

My narrative?  What about yours?

all you have to do is explain why DF had horrible catch rates at WR1 and 2 positions, while a rookie who averaged more yards per catch, had 10% better catch rate.

can you do that?

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

all you have to do is explain why DF had horrible catch rates at WR1 and 2 positions, while a rookie who averaged more yards per catch, had 10% better catch rate.

can you do that?

Wow, a whole 10%? 

Your narrative all along has been Funchess was a bad signing and you have been non stop harping on that narrative.

My narrative has always been he is not as bad as you make him out to be.

Then when another poster showed some positive numbers for Funchess out of the slot position you couldn't come up with numbers to dispute that.

What Moore did and didn't do has nothing to do with what Funchess did and didn't do.

You can't judge what the receivers are with a QB that was injured all season and was shut down before the season ended. Cam didn't come close to utilizing his receivers as needed.

The Panthers were 7-9 and did not make the playoffs. The team as a whole did not play well because of Cam's injuries.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, a whole 10%? 

Your narrative all along has been Funchess was a bad signing and you have been non stop harping on that narrative.

My narrative has always been he is not as bad as you make him out to be.

Then when another poster showed some positive numbers for Funchess out of the slot position you couldn't come up with numbers to dispute that.

What Moore did and didn't do has nothing to do with what Funchess did and didn't do.

You can't judge what the receivers are with a QB that was injured all season and was shut down before the season ended. Cam didn't come close to utilizing his receivers as needed.

The Panthers were 7-9 and did not make the playoffs. The team as a whole did not play well because of Cam's injuries.

10% is huge in terms of grade. recommend you go look at players catch rates to determine what is good and bad.... 

I actually said his best position would be slot... and i said that on more than one occasion. not sure what you are suggesting here. feel free to look back at my posts. 

And I can absolutely compare what different WRs do with the same QB. it's common sense, and simple logic. To say it's not is silly and defies comparative logic.

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

10% is huge in terms of grade. recommend you go look at players catch rates to determine what is good and bad.... 

I actually said his best position would be slot... and i said that on more than one occasion. not sure what you are suggesting here. feel free to look back at my posts. 

And I can absolutely compare what different WRs do with the same QB. it's common sense, and simple logic. To say it's not is silly and defies comparative logic.

You see, you throw out all these numbers to try to prove your point but throw my numbers out because they don't fit your narrative. 

Only time will tell  how Funchess fits in, till then we will just have to agree to disagree.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You see, you throw out all these numbers to try to prove your point but throw my numbers out because they don't fit your narrative. 

Only time will tell  how Funchess fits in, till then we will just have to agree to disagree.

I'm following simple logic without twisting.

My opinion on the value of the signing is also in the majority of what folks graded (poll) and what the talking heads said.

If you'd like me to take you're assertions apart piece by piece, I can do that. I've looked at his performance at a game level and have watched him since college. His simple and advanced stats are both concerning. To say they are not is intellectually dishonest. 

Again,  I hope the staff uses him in a way to maximize his talents. I'm just not going to sunshine pump and act like he's a no brainer answer to our WR2 need. I'll be cheering for him regardless.