Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hidden DT gem after round 1

Much has been said regarding the first round of the 2019 Draft. Who the Colts should target. I say, If the top 3 players (DT, CB, WR) are gone at the time of the Colts 26th pick, You could do yourself real good by targeting Miami Hurricane's Gerald Willis III. If the Colts want that traditional 3 Tech (ala Warren Sapp) then Gerald Willis III is probably the best in the country for this style of play.

Im sure many has heard of the "turnover chain". I'm sure many has heard of Quinnen Williams of 'Bama. Gerald Willis III is and was the equivalent as far as impact and importance on a UM team as Williams was for the crimson tide. Just my two cents. 

If the "guy" the Colts are targeting in the 1st is not there, You could pick up a very, very effective Gerald Willis III outside the 1st and pick up a few picks along the way. I totally forgot about Gerald Willis III until I saw him mocked 1 pick after Colts 59th pick going to the LA Chargers at 60. 

59. Indianapolis Colts | Julian Love | CB | Notre Dame

60. Los Angeles Chargers | Gerald Willis III | DL | Miami (FL)

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/03/05/2019-nfl-mock-draft-combine-trades-4-rounds-compensatory-picks-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins-d-k-metcalf/4/

I absolutely do not claim to have watched the other premiere DT/DL coming out. But I have watched Gerald Willis III and he wrecks havoc in the middle of the Dline with both pass rush and run stopping abilities.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.  Gerald Willis should be talked about more.

Its that time of year where the 1st round studs get all of the attention, and the consensus forgets that Geno Atkins was taken in round 3.

and Grady Jarret in round 5

• Like 2

Just now, PeterBowman said:

wonder why Gerald Willis isn't being talked about more. 

Honestly, the 7 or 8 top 20 candidates are sucking all of the air out of the discussion.  The focus has been on which one of those may be available at 26, which will probably be 0.  It hasn't yet moved on to who might be there at #58.

I think Willis may have had an off the field incident, but quite a while ago, IIRC.

It appears we’re nit talking about Willis because Frankly, he’s just that good.   He has roughly a 4th round grade on NFL.com.  Appears to be a feast or famine player.   He’s either making a good splash level play or he’s getting abused and losing his battle.

Ironically,  his NFL comp is....   Hasan Ridgeway.

P.s.  he did not test at the Combine.  He got measured,  but did not workout.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It appears we’re nit talking about Willis because Frankly, he’s just that good.   He has roughly a 4th round grade on NFL.com.  Appears to be a feast or famine player.   He’s either making a good splash level play or he’s getting abused and losing his battle.

Ironically,  his NFL comp is....   Hasan Ridgeway.

P.s.  he did not test at the Combine.  He got measured,  but did not workout.  

True. He’s feast or famine but I’d pull the trigger in Round 3 if he was sitting there because there’s a place for situational pass rushers like him, even though he doesn’t project as a 3 down guy.

• Like 1

Huge Canes fan here.

Random info - Landon Collins and Gerald Willis are brothers.

Willis was elite hs recruit that had issues at Florida and transferred to Miami.

- He played 2016 at Miami was basically in a 3 man rotation at DT with Kendrick Norton and RJ McIntosh.   

- He was suspended for 2017 season and matured a great deal while sitting out.

- 2018 was an absolute breakout year.  He finally put everything together and was a total stud on the field.

- With his past off the field history combined with missing the senior bowl and combine due to injuries, Colts might be able to get a 1st rd talent in the 2nd rd.

13 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

wonder why Gerald Willis isn't being talked about more. 

The highlights look good, but watch a game tape..... 

He doesnt impress, like other DTs

He looks like a 3rd to me

NCF used the word abused, (I agree)I see a guy that is blown out of his spot on 8 out of 10 plays.......  

I would rather us use the 3-5th round to fill up the coffers for depth at CB, S, LB, OT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

The highlights look good, but watch a game tape..... 

He doesnt impress, like other DTs

He looks like a 3rd to me

NCF used the word abused, (I agree)I see a guy that is blown out of his spot on 8 out of 10 plays.......  

I would rather us use the 3-5th round to fill up the coffers for depth at CB, S, LB, OT

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

True. He’s feast or famine but I’d pull the trigger in Round 3 if he was sitting there because there’s a place for situational pass rushers like him, even though he doesn’t project as a 3 down guy.

So you think he is the best 3rd rd type DT in the draft that should be available to us?

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So you think he is the best 3rd rd type DT in the draft that should be available to us?

He might be

IMHO, I didnt see enough on the tape to want to draft him, even in the 3rd round

If the coaches think that they can get him to the next level, then OK........  But

To me, in the 3rd round there are CBs and RBs (And maybe LBs) that could potentially start for this team

They also may use this spot to get a developmental OT for the future,

My preference, if we didnt take one in round 2

If we wait to address the DL until round 3, Im gonna be sick :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He measured in kind of short at the combine. I think he was 6’1” or something like that. And he was hot and cold during the season. The sleeper DT I’d rather have is Renell Wren

I mean can we have a mind of our own? He is 6'4" 300 LBS. smh

Led ACC with 18.0 tackles for loss, more than any defensive tackle in FBS. But he was cold. lol

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

If we already have a 3-technique drafted by that time (which I hope we do), odds are we pass on him since Margus Hunt re-signed. If we haven't by then (my worst case scenario), it would be hard to pass on him there in round 3.

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Led ACC with 18.0 tackles for loss, more than any defensive tackle in FBS. But he was cold. lol

Well, one can certainly lead a conference in TFL and run hot/cold....  The 2 categories are not mutually exclusive.  

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Well, one can certainly lead a conference in TFL and run hot/cold....  The 2 categories are not mutually exclusive.  

Where did you see conference in my post? “More than any Defensive tackle in FBS” means the country. Smh. If a player gives you the most in anything (yards, TFL, INT, Pancakes,Sacks, TDs, etc) how could you say well yea, he was hot/cold.

So by your account Bosa should be hot/cold because he missed games while injured. However Bosa may be top 5 drafted. Smh

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Where did you see conference in my post? “More than any Defensive tackle in FBS” means the country. Smh. If a player gives you the most in anything (yards, TFL, INT, Pancakes,Sacks, TDs, etc) how could you say well yea, he was hot/cold.

So by your account Bosa should be hot/cold because he missed games while injured. However Bosa may be top 5 drafted. Smh

You literally posted that he "Led ACC with 18.0 tackles for loss,".  The ACC is a conference.  I don't have a strong opinion on him, he may turn out to be great.  However, you did mention a conference in your post. 

4 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

4 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

You literally posted that he "Led ACC with 18.0 tackles for loss,".  The ACC is a conference.  I don't have a strong opinion on him, he may turn out to be great.  However, you did mention a conference in your post. 

Let me know when you read my post in BOLD LETTER. We are talking about a Defensive Tackle no? I clearly wrote more than any Defensive Tackle in FBS. 

Actually this his tells me about who I’m writing to (target audience). It appears to me that not everyone know what a DT is nor what FBS means.

31 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Let me know when you read my post in BOLD LETTER. We are talking about a Defensive Tackle no? I clearly wrote more than any Defensive Tackle in FBS. 

Actually this his tells me about who I’m writing to (target audience). It appears to me that not everyone know what a DT is nor what FBS means.

What has the bolded got to do with the fact that you did bring up a conference in your post?  You clearly wrote ACC, aka Atlantic Coast Conference or did you not know what ACC means?

5 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

What has the bolded got to do with the fact that you did bring up a conference in your post?  You clearly wrote ACC, aka Atlantic Coast Conference or did you not know what ACC means?

Ok lets take this a little slower. More than any DT in FBS means that no matter which DT you like in the upcoming draft (2019) Gerald Willis III had more tackles for loss than your favorite DT. Not only did Gerald Willis III lead the ACC in tackles for loss, He also had more than your favorite DT in the country in 2018. 

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He isn't though, he measured under 6'2" at the combine. I do like him in the later rounds.

How tall is the best DT of 2018 Aaron Donald? 6’0 . I think height wouldn’t be the issue for Gerald if he plays with same amount of juice that Aaron Donald does. Jmho. 

Once again, I definitely would like a 6’3 or 6’4 kinda DT in the first. But, If not Gerald Willis III would be a nice consolation prize after the 1st. In my eyes at least.

what do I know? I wanted the Colts to get Xavier Rhodes (we picked Werner), I wanted Landon Collins (we picked Dorsett) partially because we share the same last name. Lol

one player the Colts drafted that I wanted was actually Joseph Addai. If I’m not mistaken, He’d play UM that year and had a great game against the canes. BTW when Norte Dame played UM in 2017, the only guy from ND that held UM in check was Q. Nelson. From the game I said, wait a minute, we may have something here. 

6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

How tall is the best DT of 2018 Aaron Donald? 6’0 . I think height wouldn’t be the issue for Gerald if he plays with same amount of juice that Aaron Donald does. Jmho. 

Once again, I definitely would like a 6’3 or 6’4 kinda DT in the first. But, If not Gerald Willis III would be a nice consolation prize after the 1st. In my eyes at least.

what do I know? I wanted the Colts to get Xavier Rhodes (we picked Werner), I wanted Landon Collins (we picked Dorsett) partially because we share the same last name. Lol

one player the Colts drafted that I wanted was actually Joseph Addai. If I’m not mistaken, He’d play UM that year and had a great game against the canes. BTW when Norte Dame played UM in 2017, the only guy from ND that held UM in check was Q. Nelson. From the game I said, wait a minute, we may have something here. 

Never said his height bothered me or disagreed with anything you stated here. I like the guy. Just pointing out an inaccuracy.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Ok lets take this a little slower. More than any DT in FBS means that no matter which DT you like in the upcoming draft (2019) Gerald Willis III had more tackles for loss than your favorite DT. Not only did Gerald Willis III lead the ACC in tackles for loss, He also had more than your favorite DT in the country in 2018. 

A bit snarky

Who knows where Willis will go (I dont)

If you use TFL as the only measurement, than you would have to raise the draft stock of Jaylon Ferguson, EJ Ejilya, Chase Hansen (projected late second all the way to 7th) - Yes I KNOW they arent DTs

If you used sacks as the ONLY metric, Jaylon Ferguson, is the NUMBER ONE pick by a mile.......  but he will probably go mid second to early 3rd

Dont get me wrong..... TFL is a good stat, it isnt the only thing to measure the guy

He had some great plays, but if you watch the tape...... the guy was getting MOSTLY dominated by the better OL that he faced.......  

He seems to have a good play...... then disappear for 8-10 plays...... when he takes the play off he does it BADLY, Im not sure if that is a conditioning issue, or an effort issue

I would be worried taking him in an early round

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

A bit snarky

If you use TFL as the only measurement, than you would have to raise the draft stock of Jaylon Ferguson, EJ Ejilya, Chase Hansen (projected late second all the way to 7th) - Yes I KNOW they arent DTs

If you used sacks as the ONLY metric, Jaylon Ferguson, is the NUMBER ONE pick by a mile.......  but he will probably go mid second to early 3rd

Dont get me wrong..... TFL is a good stat, it isnt the only thing to measure the guy

He had some great plays, but if you watch the tape...... the guy was getting MOSTLY dominated by the better OL that he faced.......  

He seems to have a good play...... then disappear for 8-10 plays...... when he takes the play off he does it BADLY, Im not sure if that is a conditioning issue, or an effort issue

Trust me, Im a very rational person. I don't get offended by difference of opinions. Its the disrespect that bothers me. But I respect your view point. No hurt, No harm there. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Trust me, Im a very rational person. I don't get offended by difference of opinions. Its the disrespect that bothers me. But I respect your view point. No hurt, No harm there. Thanks for sharing.

Its all good...... I see a high level of intelligence underneath the impatience

:)

Peace and Love

Deano

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

A bit snarky

It is almost like a Ty McGill. That is what enamored Seahawks and the fans towards him first, him shooting the gap and showing that disruptor potential. Then he became a Colt. Then, you find out that for 1 play he makes, he is a non-factor for way more plays. That is why he is on his 7th team, with a second stint with the Chargers.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It is almost like a Ty McGill. That is what enamored Seahawks and the fans towards him first, him shooting the gap and showing that disruptor potential. Then he became a Colt. Then, you find out that for 1 play he makes, he is a non-factor for way more plays. That is why he is on his 7th team, with a second stint with the Chargers.

I can see at least getting in the path of the runner...... that way he at least slows him down and forces him to seek another hole

On many (most) plays that I watched, he WAS the hole......... he got forklifted out of the way by a single blocker

When I watched the tape, I wanted him to be another solid choice for the Colts to go with.....  but was disappointed with what I saw.........

Maybe some time in the weight room and pro coaching will help the kid.

He seems like a big risk

4 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

You can take it as slow as you want to.  It doesn't change the fact that you did bring up a conference (ACC) and then asked where did you see conference in your post? 

11 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

No he’s not. He’s 6’1”. Aaron Donald is an anomaly. 300 lbs is a good weight but 6’1” is short for a 3-tech.

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

You can take it as slow as you want to.  It doesn't change the fact that you did bring up a conference (ACC) and then asked where did you see conference in your post? 

Care to talk about football? Instead of careless points that you are still wrong about? I mean add something new to the convo. Btw, if you want where I found this info here it is. 

https://hurricanesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7971

So don't kill the messenger.

2018 (Redshirt Senior): Delivered dominant final season, starting all 12 games in regular season and earning second-team All-ACC honors...Led ACC with 18.0 tackles for loss, more than any defensive tackle in FBS.

7 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

2018 (Redshirt Senior): Delivered dominant final season, starting all 12 games in regular season and earning second-team All-ACC honors...Led ACC with 18.0 tackles for loss, more than any defensive tackle in FBS.

There fixed it for you, no one said you didn't put the part about FBS in there, just that you mentioned a conference and then asked "Where did you see conference in my post?".  Well, it's right there in the bolded, ACC.  Other posters have pointed out that you were also incorrect about his height, facts seem to be an issue with you.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

There fixed it for you, no one said you didn't put the part about FBS in there, just that you mentioned a conference and then asked "Where did you see conference in my post?".  Well, it's right there in the bolded, ACC.  Other posters have pointed out that you were also incorrect about his height, facts seem to be an issue with you.

Lol I’m doing myself the worse disservice of life. You don’t even know the guy whom I posted this thread about and you want to argue. Please. Read the link provided and if you have a prob please write them directly.