Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why no love for my Fightin Irishman, Golden Tate? He's averaged about 1000 yards and 6 TDs over the last 6 seasons, and would be a great option out of the slot, or Y. I think he could be Luck"s Edelman, an underneath safety blanket with YAC potential. Before the move to Philly, which turned out horrible for both sides, he was on pace for around 90 catches and over 1000 yards. The guy is consistent, really good (won't say great) at what he does, and adds an element in the return game. He is getting older, and can't imagine he would require that much money on a 2, maybe 3 year deal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Because he'll be 31 when the season starts.

So? TYs gonna be 30.

Sign Tate and then draft a guy who can develop alongside Cain and you’ll have two guys with upside playing behind a guy in Tate that you know can give you a year or two of solid play.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

So? TYs gonna be 30.

Sign Tate and then draft a guy who can develop alongside Cain and you’ll have two guys with upside playing behind a guy in Tate that you know can give you a year or two of solid play.

No thanks. If our WR choice is going to come down to Golden Tate, I'd rather either trade for a WR or draft one. Let some other team give him more than what he is worth. If we are going to go the free agent route, go get Tyrell Williams. He's 2 seasons removed from a 1000 yard 7 touchdown season as well like your boy Golden Tate. Yes his numbers have declined in the past couple of seasons. But he's still only 26 years old, so there is time for him to get those numbers back. 

49 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

No thanks. If our WR choice is going to come down to Golden Tate, I'd rather either trade for a WR or draft one. Let some other team give him more than what he is worth. If we are going to go the free agent route, go get Tyrell Williams. He's 2 seasons removed from a 1000 yard 7 touchdown season as well like your boy Golden Tate. Yes his numbers have declined in the past couple of seasons. But he's still only 26 years old, so there is time for him to get those numbers back. 

So, you'd rather pay more for a guy who is 2 seasons removed from 1000 than a guy who routinely gets 1000? Not following you man. Williams isn't a #1, but wants to be paid like one, and has said as much. Golden isn't young by any means, but he's shown no signs of decline either. He'd be the obvious choice of the two, for me anyways. 

In terms of the two skillsets, we really need what Tate brings in Reichs quick-hitting offense, much more than a guy that averages nearly 17 ypc like Williams. Tate is masterful at getting open, and known for his YAC ability. 

Bottomline, I'll take the guy that averages 90 catches and over 1000 yards vs the guy that averages around 40 catches and 600 yards...we already have guys like that, in spades. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkSuperman said:

Because he'll be 31 when the season starts.

And? 

He hasn't started to decline. Prior to the move to Philly, he was on pace for, yet again, 90 catches and 1000 yards. His skillset is perfect for Reichs offense, and if were gonna pay for a WR in FA, may as well get one with a proven track record.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

So? TYs gonna be 30.

Exactly. Most people think we're gonna draft a guy that's gonna come in and be a stud opposite TY, but that's rarely how it works out. Even the best of wideouts take a year or two to fully hit their stride, and by the time a guy that we draft is ready to produce Tate, and probably TY for the most part, will be ready to hang them up. It's a smart, transitional signing, imo.

• Like 1

I started a thread about Golden Tate a month or two ago. Very few people were for it, but I would love to have Tate on the Colts. Good locker room guy who has reliable hands. 

Imagine: 

WR: Ty Hilton, Golden Tate, Harmon/draft pick, Cain, Rogers 

TE: Eric Ebron, Jack Doyle, Cox 

That’s some pretty good weapons right there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I started a thread about Golden Tate a month or two ago. Very few people were for it, but I would love to have Tate on the Colts. Good locker room guy who has reliable hands. 

Imagine: 

WR: Ty Hilton, Golden Tate, Harmon/draft pick, Cain, Rogers 

TE: Eric Ebron, Jack Doyle, Cox 

That’s some pretty good weapons right there. 

He would be a great addition, my only worry is he might cost a little more than Ballard is willing to spend. But it would be great to add him to what's already in the cupboard, then draft an X receiver early, and a guy like Isabella/Renfrow a little later, I'd imagine their learning curve to be much less steep learning from a vet like Tate. 

If Tate is the guy who can be our Griff Walen, Edelman or any type of guy who understands how to find an open space and catch the ball to move chains, I’m all for signing him. Is he going to be that guy? Maybe I just haven’t seen him play much before but anything I’ve seen from his just doesn’t make me salivate for him. Idk, maybe it’s just me and lack a good review of him. 

8 hours ago, Jdubu said:

If Tate is the guy who can be our Griff Walen, Edelman or any type of guy who understands how to find an open space and catch the ball to move chains, I’m all for signing him. Is he going to be that guy? Maybe I just haven’t seen him play much before but anything I’ve seen from his just doesn’t make me salivate for him. Idk, maybe it’s just me and lack a good review of him. 

Griff Whalen? Lol

4 hours ago, ztboiler said:

I’ve always gotten the impression that if Tate was a good teammate he’d still be in Seattle.

There is just something about him that has me Meh about him and I don’t even know why. But 3 teams so far is quite interesting for a guy who some keep pushing as a guy who can push the offense to the next level. 5 million or less? I mean that’s what we paid the last WR who didn’t do anything here.