Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kevin Bowen's Colts Awards 2018

DaveA1102

26 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I always enjoy Kevin's writing and I find little to argue with in this article:

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/handing-out-colts-awards-2018-season

I was surprised he had Donte Moncrief as his "Most Missed" but, after thinking about it, not sure who else it could have been?  Potentially Hankins?

Good article and it was an excellent year overall last year. Leonard and Nelson are going to be special. I can't wait for the draft personally. It was always a bit cringe with Grigson, now I have faith we'll pick the correct players for our scheme and team. Lets hope 2019 brings the same amount of excitement!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good article and it was an excellent year overall last year. Leonard and Nelson are going to be special. I can't wait for the draft personally. It was always a bit cringe with Grigson, now I have faith we'll pick the correct players for our scheme and team. Lets hope 2019 brings the same amount of excitement!

It will, if we do not make the SB I will be surprised now. We will at least make the Final 4 (Chiefs and Pats only scare me). This is based on Ballard nailing this Draft and Luck staying healthy.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It will, if we do not make the SB I will be surprised now. We will at least make the Final 4 (Chiefs and Pats only scare me). This is based on Ballard nailing this Draft and Luck staying healthy.

I'm pretty comfortable on the draft and FA as of now. Ballard has earned my trust with last year's draft and FA. The Chiefs are very talented, plain and simple. The Pats are all about Brady and Belichick. I want both to retire already so they are out of the picture. The AFC will soon be the Luck/Mahomes show. I think that we'll make a SB or two as long as Ballard continues his consistent draft success. I think we'll definitely make the AFC Championship game next year. Injuries and how much we improve our team this offseason will determine if we make the SB.

I was watching the Senior Bowl stuff, and was very impressed by some players. The Jets have come through for us again with a high 2nd. I'm really hoping we draft one of the WR's and pass-rushers I like.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Once we get at least 1 disrupting force on the DL, another few WRs for Luck, and another talented corner and LB, this team will be serious super bowl contenders. 

I do trust Ballard to find those players. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm pretty comfortable on the draft and FA as of now. Ballard has earned my trust with last year's draft and FA. The Chiefs are very talented, plain and simple. The Pats are all about Brady and Belichick. I want both to retire already so they are out of the picture. The AFC will soon be the Luck/Mahomes show. I think that we'll make a SB or two as long as Ballard continues his consistent draft success. I think we'll definitely make the AFC Championship game next year. Injuries and how much we improve our team this offseason will determine if we make the SB.

I was watching the Senior Bowl stuff, and was very impressed by some players. The Jets have come through for us again with a high 2nd. I'm really hoping we draft one of the WR's and pass-rushers I like.

I trust Ballard and have faith in Luck staying healthy so I can not see us winning less than 10 games. Injuries could disrupt this and we have a tough schedule but I see 10 or 11 wins and a long Playoff run. If Luck, TY, Ebron, Nelson, and Leonard stay healthy look out. Remember Doyle will be back too and Hooker should be at his best finally with another off season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I trust Ballard and have faith in Luck staying healthy so I can not see us winning less than 10 games. Injuries could disrupt this and we have a tough schedule but I see 10 or 11 wins and a long Playoff run. If Luck, TY, Ebron, Nelson, and Leonard stay healthy look out. Remember Doyle will be back too and Hooker should be at his best finally with another off season.

Hooker and Doyle are definitely a big deal. Both are underrated at what they do and their injuries have affected this team negatively in a big way. We probably would have won 12 games if we had Constanzo and Mack the first month. The O-Line took a while to gel and it almost cost us our season if not for our 10 game miracle run. I'd be happy with 10-11 wins again next year, and another solid draft. It won't be as good as last years, but it can still be a top 10 draft if Ballard hits on the first 2 or 3 picks and a couple late ones.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Hooker and Doyle are definitely a big deal. Both are underrated at what they do and their injuries have affected this team negatively in a big way. We probably would have won 12 games if we had Constanzo and Mack the first month. The O-Line took a while to gel and it almost cost us our season if not for our 10 game miracle run. I'd be happy with 10-11 wins again next year, and another solid draft. It won't be as good as last years, but it can still be a top 10 draft if Ballard hits on the first 2 or 3 picks and a couple late ones.

I doubt it happens but Ballard could surprise everyone and bring in Bell or Brown. I am good either way if he does or doesn't. I do like Bell because he is young and having 2 RB's like Mack and Bell would be a huge boost to our roster. Bell is a great receiver too is why I like him more than anything + he is young. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Those are some rather aggressive expectations, considering the Colts have only made it to the SuperBowl 3 times in the past 48 years!  Only 3 times in 48 years, yet you profess to say you will be surprised if they don’t make it? 

As for AFC championship games, going all the way back 1971, they’ve been to a total of 7 AFC championships and since Manning was drafted in 1998, the Colts have only been to 4 conference championship games.  That’s only 4 times in 20 years!

My point is that people generally have hugely unrealistic expectations, not understanding just how difficult it is to actually get to the cusp of a championship game.  It is rare to even make a conference championship, nevermind making it into the Super Bowl game.  

Call me Killjoy, but you may want to temper those expectations, for if not, you are most likely to be quite disappointed.  :)

I doubt it happens but Ballard could surprise everyone and bring in Bell or Brown. I am good either way if he does or doesn't. I do like Bell because he is young and having 2 RB's like Mack and Bell would be a huge boost to our roster. Bell is a great receiver is why I like him more than anything + he is young. 

I think it's possible for the sole reason that we need to use some of our cap, and they would be an almost guaranteed "hit" for a few years. I would prefer Brown, but he'd cost draft capital (more than likely a 1st rounder since he's on a 4 year deal), and Bell may not be worth the trouble. Personally I'd re-sign our own, and make an offer to Bell that's fair, but not high. Something like 10 mill a year. 2 years/20 million. If he wants to come here like he says, he'll accept. Then sign a top FA with Bell with some depth players and draft around that. I think we have to grab one "elite" FA in the offseason because of all our cap space. Lets hope Ballard can get someone nice like Ebron and Autry last year that makes a difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Those are some rather aggressive expectations, considering the Colts have only made it to the SuperBowl 3 times in the past 48 years!  Only 3 times in 48 years, yet you profess to say you will be surprised if they don’t make it? 

As for AFC championship games, going all the way back 1971, they’ve been to a total of 7 AFC championships and since Manning was drafted in 1998, the Colts have only been to 4 conference championship games.  That’s only 4 times in 20 years!

My point is that people generally have hugely unrealistic expectations, not understanding just how difficult it is to actually get to the cusp of a championship game.  It is rare to even make a conference championship, nevermind making it into the Super Bowl game.  

Call me Killjoy, but you may want to temper those expectations, for if not, you are most likely to be quite disappointed.  :)

I believe in Andrew much more than most do and think he is that great. I also said we would make the Playoffs this season before the season started and most people thought I was nuts lmao . Most had us winning 2-5 games :lol:, I was right though :banana:

• Like 1

I believe in Andrew much more than most do and think he is that great. I also said we would make the Playoffs this season before the season started and most people thought I was nuts lmao . Most had us winning 2-5 games :lol:, I was right though :banana:

Well I hope your are right for next year.  I am almost always hopeful that the Colts will do well, but one needs to understand just how rare elite achievement actually is, to put things into perspective.  Example, I thought the Manning years were glorious, but even during that period of unprecedented Colts success, we only saw 3 conference championship games and 2 SuperBowl appearances.  

I am so hopeful for the direction the Colts are headed, but my surprise will come if they actually make it to the AFCCG and SB.  :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think it's possible for the sole reason that we need to use some of our cap, and they would be an almost guaranteed "hit" for a few years. I would prefer Brown, but he'd cost draft capital (more than likely a 1st rounder since he's on a 4 year deal), and Bell may not be worth the trouble. Personally I'd re-sign our own, and make an offer to Bell that's fair, but not high. Something like 10 mill a year. 2 years/20 million. If he wants to come here like he says, he'll accept. Then sign a top FA with Bell with some depth players and draft around that. I think we have to grab one "elite" FA in the offseason because of all our cap space. Lets hope Ballard can get someone nice like Ebron and Autry last year that makes a difference.

I would love to sign T. Williams from the Chargers and roll with Bell if we went that route. Mack + Bell and Williams would give Andrew all kinds of weapons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Well I hope your are right for next year.  I am almost always hopeful that the Colts will do well, but one needs to understand just how rare elite achievement actually is, to put things into perspective.  Example, I thought the Manning years were glorious, but even during that period of unprecedented Colts success, we only saw 3 conference championship games and 2 SuperBowl appearances.  

I am so hopeful for the direction the Colts are headed, but my surprise will come if they actually make it to the AFCCG and SB.  :)

You see it like I do pretty much as in how tough it is to make a Final 4 or a SB. Other than the Pats it is rare teams continue to make that far. So I see your point. I just think we will go far next season. We are already good and now have another Draft and all kinds of Cap space + Luck is healthy. At worse I see us in the AFC Title Game if health holds up. This isn't Pagano and Grigson anymore. 

I think Luck can end up being a Top 5 QB of all-time when it is said and done. I just have that much confidence in him I guess lol. This past season showed me that as I thought that after 2014 but the injuries happened then. With Reich as Coach and our Line being straightened out, let the games begin. We already have Houston and Tennessee's number. 

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You see it like I do pretty much as in how tough it is to make a Final 4 or a SB. Other than the Pats it is rare teams continue to make that far. So I see your point. I just think we will go far next season. We are already good and now have another Draft and all kinds of Cap space + Luck is healthy. At worse I see us in the AFC Title Game if health holds up. This isn't Pagano and Grigson anymore. 

We really don’t know either way, how far the Colts will make it, or where the balance of power will be in the AFC.

What if Luck, Brady, Mahommes or Watson go down for the year?

Last Spring, Eagles’ fans were certain the Eagles would be back in the SB and look how that worked out.

There is parody in the NFL (with the exception of the Pats, who have an easier schedule than us), and games in the playoffs come down to a bounce (ie Edelman almost muffing the punt, a stupid penalty (ie Ford lining up offsides), or a bad call/non-call, such as we saw in the Saints’ game.

NE is the outlier and that has to end at some point, but here they are again...#%*+}%

And the Chiefs’ future is trending up as well.

We can’t take anything for granted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

We really don’t know either way, how far the Colts will make it, or where the balance of power will be in the AFC.

What if Luck, Brady, Mahommes or Watson go down for the year?

Last Spring, Eagles’ fans were certain the Eagles would be back in the SB and look how that worked out.

There is parody in the NFL (with the exception of the Pats, who have an easier schedule than us), and games in the playoffs come down to a bounce (ie Edelman almost muffing the punt, a stupid penalty (ie Ford lining up offsides), or a bad call/non-call, such as we saw in the Saints’ game.

NE is the outlier and that has to end at some point, but here they are again...#%*+}%

And the Chiefs’ future is trending up as well.

We can’t take anything for granted.

I gave you a 'LIKE' because I get your point but with Andrew healthy and Reich as Coach I feel pretty good about at least a Final 4. Of course a number of things can happen. It is tough getting past the Divisional Round which I preached in here at people bashing us for losing to the Chiefs. Making the Final 8 is a good season technically IMO. Luck has the potential of being a Top 5 to Top 10 QB of all-time, we will find out how it pans out over the next 5 years.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I always enjoy Kevin's writing and I find little to argue with in this article:

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/handing-out-colts-awards-2018-season

I was surprised he had Donte Moncrief as his "Most Missed" but, after thinking about it, not sure who else it could have been?  Potentially Hankins?

Question, Moncrief or Ryan Grant? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I gave you a 'LIKE' because I get your point but with Andrew healthy and Reich as Coach I feel pretty good about at least a Final 4. Of course a number of things can happen. It is tough getting past the Divisional Round which I preached in here at people bashing us for losing to the Chiefs. Making the Final 8 is a good season technically IMO. Luck has the potential of being a Top 5 to Top 10 QB of all-time, we will find out how it pans out over the next 5 years.

I’m with you...the arrow is pointing up and I feel good about the way things are going. 

It’s just the way games can be so close, you just never know.

I was hoping the Saints would have made it because I think they would have given the Pats all they could handle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Question, Moncrief or Ryan Grant? 

It's a fair question. I didn't realise Moncrief had 670 yards and 3 TDs this year, with a disastrous QB situation. 

Compared with what we saw from Grant this year, I would have been pretty interested to see what Luck could have done with Moncrief. 

That obviously excludes factoring in the difference in salary.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:00 AM, BProland85 said:

Once we get at least 1 disrupting force on the DL, another few WRs for Luck, and another talented corner and LB, this team will be serious super bowl contenders. 

I do trust Ballard to find those players. 

Which LB do you want to replace?

11 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Najaih Goode. We need a better LB to pair with Leonard and Walker. 

In this D the SAM lb isnt a very high priority.  And that position isn’t even on the field much if we’re not in the base D.   We use a 3rd safety or an extra corner as much of not more.   

That could change with an upgrade at that position but having an elite SS is one of the top 3 positions we need to address.   

I wont disagree with you on this but if the past season was an indicator SAM will not be a high priority. But you never know.  A hybrid safety/lb is a real possibility 

and who knows what Ballard and staff have planned