Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just Waiting For The Word...

Busta

Well regardless some disagree. I happen to value kickers very highly. Not saying we are going to offer Adam as he would have value to the team but it is not out of the question for teams to have interest in Adam. Yes kickers are cheap but a lot of teams franchised theirs because they didn't want to lose their quality kicker or go into a bidding war. Adam has certainly proven his value over many people taken in the 1st round much less the 4th or 5th.

So had Marshall Faulk who went on to be a Hall of Famer yet the Colts only got a second rounder for him. Draft picks are viewed like gold to NFL GMs.

I'll put it this way if a team called and offered us a fourth rounder for Adam I would say make that trade before they have time to realize what they are saying.

Of course he's not going to make a scene.

You save more money this year cutting AV than 58 & 29 combined. Future years they pass AV. I value good kicker don't get me wrong, but I don't see him being very useful these next two years.

I view him as very useful. Frankly we are proably going to call on him to score points for us. No we might not be a playoff team but that doesn't mean we are going to make cuts that don't make sense and that we are going to cut a guy who can help us score points when they are probably going to be few and far between over the next couple of years.

Brackett and Addai being cut make sense down the road beyond this year. Adam being cut saves us very little money over the life of his contract. Also I think if we were going to release him we would have done it tonight when we released everyone else. There is no reason to keep him when you cut everyone else if your plan is to cut him in the end.

So instead of trying to save a few million on a young cheap prospect you rather just keep the not needed expensive kicker.

Yes... Not needed? I think a kicker is quite a necessity, just saying.

Also, Vinatieri is clutch. I can only recall one time (while with the Colts) where Vinatieri has missed a game tying/winning FG.

I view him as very useful. Frankly we are proably going to call on him to score points for us. No we might not be a playoff team but that doesn't mean we are going to make cuts that don't make sense and that we are going to cut a guy who can help us score points when they are probably going to be few and far between over the next couple of years.

Brackett and Addai being cut make sense down the road beyond this year. Adam being cut saves us very little money over the life of his contract. Also I think if we were going to release him we would have done it tonight when we released everyone else. There is no reason to keep him when you cut everyone else if your plan is to cut him in the end.

I'm sure he'll kick some fg's after stalled drives and 20-25 more extra points. I just see the team doing both a favor by cutting him. Who knows there might be another round of cuts.

Yes... Not needed? I think a kicker is quite a necessity, just saying.

Also, Vinatieri is clutch. I can only recall one time (while with the Colts) where Vinatieri has missed a game tying/winning FG.

It's hard to see him being "NEEDED" now a days when the whole team has just been cut.

Go back and watch and the Ravens playoff game in 2006 and then Stover's miss in the 2009 Super Bowl or any of Vandy's shank's and come back and say that. Adam has been here since 2006 he has missed what one clutch kick during that time? 2007 vs. the Chargers in game that had some much strange stuff happen it was almost fitting he missed. It's true what people say people don't understand how valuable a clutch kicker is till you don't hae one.

he's missed more than that...especially the gimme he missed in the super bowl. plus, stover was staight money at a fraction of the cost...not his fault that * caldwell sent him out for a kick that was easily beyond his range.

he's missed more than that...especially the gimme he missed in the super bowl. plus, stover was staight money at a fraction of the cost...not his fault that * caldwell sent him out for a kick that was easily beyond his range.

Tell me another clutch kick he missed?

The gimme in the Super Bowl was not clutch because the game was not on the line when he missed. Stover's miss in the Super Bowl lead to the Saints TD that gave them the lead so you really going to stand by that straight money comment? Straight money means you don't miss in key situations and they don't get much more key than that kick. Should he have been out there in the first place? Maybe not but you know what Adam can still hit from 50 plus and is pretty good at doing it. So had Adam been there that kick would have been less of an issue.

Tell me another clutch kick he missed?

The gimme in the Super Bowl was not clutch because the game was not on the line when he missed. Stover's miss in the Super Bowl lead to the Saints TD that gave them the lead so you really going to stand by that straight money comment? Straight money means you don't miss in key situations and they don't get much more key than that kick. Should he have been out there in the first place? Maybe not but you know what Adam can still hit from 50 plus and is pretty good at doing it. So had Adam been there that kick would have been less of an issue.

sorry, but i'm not going back and watch every game. the guys spent a couple years with leg problems and wasn't all that great.

gimme a break, unless the game is a blow out, every kick in the sb is a critical kick. and yes, i will stand by my comment on stover. u can't send out a kicker to do something u know he can't do. i wouldn't send av out there to hit a 6o yarder...that's just stupid. and at the time, with his injury problems, i didn't have confidence in av to hit 50+ yards.

i give it to him the past couple years though...been very good

sorry, but i'm not going back and watch every game. the guys spent a couple years with leg problems and wasn't all that great.

gimme a break, unless the game is a blow out, every kick in the sb is a critical kick. and yes, i will stand by my comment on stover. u can't send out a kicker to do something u know he can't do. i wouldn't send av out there to hit a 6o yarder...that's just stupid. and at the time, with his injury problems, i didn't have confidence in av to hit 50+ yards.

i give it to him the past couple years though...been very good

I can tell you he hasn't missed another clutch kick since he's been here. Your the one disputing that point so you need to bring some proof to back up your claim rather than just saying hey I disagree with you now go make my point for me. In fact he's nailed every clutch kick we've asked him to go make other than the Chargers kick. Included in that list was a kick to beat the Broncos his first season here, the Ravens playoff game, the Chargers game in 2008, and kick that should have beat the Jets and I know I am leaving some out in there. Also the last two were very long kicks.

Adam has always missed a kick here or there during his career it's why he hasn't been to more pro-bowls or named to more all-pro teams. The thing about Adam is when the game is on the line he doesn't miss. That's what makes him so good. He's true money when the game is on the line and that is very hard to find in a kicker. Look at Vandy again as a good example. He was the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL when he played till when the game was on the line then you held your breath and prayed he didn't miss it. I'd much rather have a kicker who misses a kick here or there during the season when you don't really need him but you now that you can count on when the game is on the line than one who makes kicks when it's 28-0 just to add to the score but when you really need him he's anything but a sure bet.

You know how many kickers can hit a 60 yarder? Like 5 MAYBE 10 at most and even then unless they are playing the Colts in a game winning situation they aren't very good at it. That's why you don't see teams send kickers out to try 60 yard field goals unless the game is on the line and if they don't they either lose or the game goes to over time or halftime. The fact Adam can't hit from 60 yards is not an arguement against him because most kickers can't.

Also don't try the every kick is a cruitical kick. Not all field goals are equal. A chip shot field goal at the end of the first half of a game you are winning in the rain is not the same as a field goal at the end of the game that if you don't make your team loses or has to go to overtime. The only people who would say they are are the ones trying to argue against someone being good in the clutch. That's why they call it clutch at the end of the game and not other points of the game.

As bad as this team is going to be, there will be no visits to the red zone. I can see this squad, notice I did not use the word team, being at the bottom for several years. The Lions, browns, bengals are all going to win more games than this Indy abortion. I wanted a new coach, a new GM, and a couple of better players. We got a whole new franchise. Why does Irsay think rebuilding completely will put the franchise back on track in a couple of years. Cleveland, Washington, Tampa, Denver are professional franchises with better front offices and have labored for years for improvement. I would have put Miami in there, however, Manning,Wayne,Clark and Garcon are going to set up shop there. Freeny too.

I can tell you he hasn't missed another clutch kick since he's been here. Your the one disputing that point so you need to bring some proof to back up your claim rather than just saying hey I disagree with you now go make my point for me. In fact he's nailed every clutch kick we've asked him to go make other than the Chargers kick. Included in that list was a kick to beat the Broncos his first season here, the Ravens playoff game, the Chargers game in 2008, and kick that should have beat the Jets and I know I am leaving some out in there. Also the last two were very long kicks.

Adam has always missed a kick here or there during his career it's why he hasn't been to more pro-bowls or named to more all-pro teams. The thing about Adam is when the game is on the line he doesn't miss. That's what makes him so good. He's true money when the game is on the line and that is very hard to find in a kicker. Look at Vandy again as a good example. He was the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL when he played till when the game was on the line then you held your breath and prayed he didn't miss it. I'd much rather have a kicker who misses a kick here or there during the season when you don't really need him but you now that you can count on when the game is on the line than one who makes kicks when it's 28-0 just to add to the score but when you really need him he's anything but a sure bet.

You know how many kickers can hit a 60 yarder? Like 5 MAYBE 10 at most and even then unless they are playing the Colts in a game winning situation they aren't very good at it. That's why you don't see teams send kickers out to try 60 yard field goals unless the game is on the line and if they don't they either lose or the game goes to over time or halftime. The fact Adam can't hit from 60 yards is not an arguement against him because most kickers can't.

Also don't try the every kick is a cruitical kick. Not all field goals are equal. A chip shot field goal at the end of the first half of a game you are winning in the rain is not the same as a field goal at the end of the game that if you don't make your team loses or has to go to overtime. The only people who would say they are are the ones trying to argue against someone being good in the clutch. That's why they call it clutch at the end of the game and not other points of the game.

sorry but i'm not going to read a post that long on the merits of a kicker.

Go back and watch and the Ravens playoff game in 2006 and then Stover's miss in the 2009 Super Bowl or any of Vandy's shank's and come back and say that. Adam has been here since 2006 he has missed what one clutch kick during that time? 2007 vs. the Chargers in game that had some much strange stuff happen it was almost fitting he missed. It's true what people say people don't understand how valuable a clutch kicker is till you don't hae one.

He did fluff a 36 yarder (or so) in the SB win - just before half time if I remember. That could have been costly.....

The problem with that is wearing out his leg. You have McAfee punting and booming kickoffs, then you're going to make him do all the FGs on top of that. That will wear out his leg quickly

Surely not. Look at all the wear and tear a pro soccer player goes through and their strength remains just fine.

Surely not. Look at all the wear and tear a pro soccer player goes through and their strength remains just fine.

Different sport. Football players are more intense weight lifters and soccer players don't have to worry about this kind of stuff happening (watch from 1:08 to skip all the other stuff)