Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Jack Doyle's backup/replacement be found in the 2019 NFL draft?

Never say never, if a TE like Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri (6’5”, 260, 4.6 40 speed), that is a very good receiving prospect, drops to Day 3 (round 4 or later) or say you like him with your 3rd round pick, you obviously have to consider it. Given how much Reich uses his TEs, I don't think you can ignore talent if it is there staring at you on the board.  Remember, Eagles had both Ertz and Burton on their roster, and now have Ertz and Dallas Goedert on their roster.

Ebron may or may not produce at the same level next year, and receiving TEs are more of a premium than blocking TEs, that go undrafted all the time in the current NFL. 

• Like 3

On 12/12/2018 at 11:33 AM, NannyMcafee said:

I've been thinking about it a lot. We have seen howuch we struggle without doyle there to open things up in both the pass and run offense. Do any of you guys know of a good TE maybe mid to late round? 

We need a good blocker and catcher, and I wouldn't mind dipping into the pool of the Hawkeyes again! T.J. Hockenson or Noah Fant.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 4:21 AM, DarkSuperman said:

Doyle is only 28 and is signed through next season. Moving on from him already?

Not moving on. Would love to see him extend his contract. It is currently looking like we have doyles replacment on the team already in Mo Ali-Cox.  Not saying we have to receive doyles backup in the draft. Or even this off-season. I just know that behind Doyle we dont have a proven blocking TE with decent hands.

This is a topic about depth, and THEN replacement. Not replacement.

• Thanks 2

On 12/17/2018 at 4:21 AM, DarkSuperman said:

Doyle is only 28 and is signed through next season. Moving on from him already?

This shows you don't get building and maintaining a roster long term.

There is no guarantee we have Ebron or Doyle after next season.
But let's play Haeg some more at TE. 

• Like 1