Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Big Cut Made

LUVTHESHOE

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does our running back have to do with blocking? Improve the offensive line, come up with some different schemes to keep your quarterback clean, and let him use his athleticism to stay out of trouble. But you don't pay a veteran running back $10 million over the next two seasons just because he's a good pass blocker. Smart money is on cutting Addai. We should have let him walk last season and used that money to sign Donte Whitner.

I somewhat agree and see your point. With a mobile QB a good blocking RB is not as important. I really don't know that much about Luck? Can he throw accurately on the run?

If the reported deal that Garcon is accurate, I don't know if it can be made attractive without severely overpaying him.

5 years, 7 million dollars isn't that attractive. Give him the mean of a #2 and #1 receivers salary. That's about 4.5M on average a year, something I think he deserves (but not more). That gives us a salary of about 5 years 22M.

5 years, 7 million dollars isn't that attractive. Give him the mean of a #2 and #1 receivers salary. That's about 4.5M on average a year, something I think he deserves (but not more). That gives us a salary of about 5 years 22M.

That's not attractive at all. But I was talking about the 5 year 35 million deal that has been rumored that he was offered.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/2/27/2828266/update-colts-believed-to-have-offered-wide-receiver-pierre-garcon-35

That would be grossly overpaying. Your 5 year 22 million, should be a decent deal for both parties...

That's not attractive at all. But I was talking about the 5 year 35 million deal that has been rumored that he was offered.

http://www.cincyjung...ierre-garcon-35

That would be grossly overpaying. Your 5 year 22 million, should be a decent deal for both parties...

The fool turned down $7 million per, reportedly, which I thought was the kind of number he'd be looking for. I actually was saying four years, $30 million. And I agree that he's not that good right now, but he has the potential to be a strong #2 (75 catches, 1,000 yards, 8 touchdowns) for several years. And if you keep his base salaries low in the first year or two, then he'll have two years to grow into this kind of contract. If he doesn't, hasta.

The fool turned down $7 million per, reportedly, which I thought was the kind of number he'd be looking for. I actually was saying four years, $30 million. And I agree that he's not that good right now, but he has the potential to be a strong #2 (75 catches, 1,000 yards, 8 touchdowns) for several years. And if you keep his base salaries low in the first year or two, then he'll have two years to grow into this kind of contract. If he doesn't, hasta.

I thought it was odd too. You would think he'd hurt his wrist trying to sign a deal like that soo quickly. It's a rumor, so who knows if the #'s are accurate, but I don't know what type a deal he's looking for if he's turning down 5 @ 7 each.

I thought it was odd too. You would think he'd hurt his wrist trying to sign a deal like that soo quickly. It's a rumor, so who knows if the #'s are accurate, but I don't know what type a deal he's looking for if he's turning down 5 @ 7 each.

Either we lowballed the signing bonus, or he doesn't want to be a Colt anymore. Because there's no way he can expect to get a significantly higher average as a free agent.

I don't forget how good Clark is. I'm a DC fan. But he's getting paid like a top five tight end, and he's missed 15 games in the last two years. And he's 33. If he's tradeable, that would be better, but I don't think we can keep paying him that kind of money, considering where we are and where we're going. It's not cost-effective in this case.

Tamme is no DC. But he's cheaper, and he's performed at a good level when given the chance.

I think you are spot on,the only thing that concers me is that Luck is gonna need a stud tight end or two.

Either we lowballed the signing bonus, or he doesn't want to be a Colt anymore. Because there's no way he can expect to get a significantly higher average as a free agent.

It will be interesting to see what he does sign for, but like you said unless they really lowballed the SB/Guarnteed part it is rather foolish on his behalf, if the rumors are true.

Tamme is no DC. But he's cheaper, and he's performed at a good level when given the chance.

Tamme might not be Dallas, but he very well could be Fort Worth

So we bring in Luck and then cut our best blocking RB, yeah thats pretty smart cause Donald can block like an all star

How many games will we get out of Addia this 3,4 5,... That is the reason he needs to go. Can't stay healthy. Besides with a FB, Addia becomes redundant.

We need some familiar faces kept on the team. So far only Mathis. We need more familiar to be kept.

Bethea will be kept so will Angerer who became a fan favorite this year. We will also keep AV and McAfee who are popular with the fans. Powers will be back as well

I think we are going to end up keeping Dallas just because doesn't sound like there is much money to saved by releasing him and I think you could argue other than Manning Dallas was the most popular player on the team. He's top five for sure.

Despite what people keep saying about Brackett I think there is going to be a place for him too becuase we save next to nothing by cutting him and you need two MLBs for a 3-4 defense and fans either love Gary or they hate Gary there seems to be very little middle ground on him.

I think guys like Bullitt and Addai need to be worried about their contracts. Freeney I still lean towards coming back but he's going to have to address his contract and if he plays hardball with the Colts they wont have but to release him or trade him. I still think that is unlikely though.

Bethea will be kept so will Angerer who became a fan favorite this year. We will also keep AV and McAfee who are popular with the fans. Powers will be back as well

I think we are going to end up keeping Dallas just because doesn't sound like there is much money to saved by releasing him and I think you could argue other than Manning Dallas was the most popular player on the team. He's top five for sure.

Despite what people keep saying about Brackett I think there is going to be a place for him too becuase we save next to nothing by cutting him and you need two MLBs for a 3-4 defense and fans either love Gary or they hate Gary there seems to be very little middle ground on him.

I think guys like Bullitt and Addai need to be worried about their contracts. Freeney I still lean towards coming back but he's going to have to address his contract and if he plays hardball with the Colts they wont have but to release him or trade him. I still think that is unlikely though.

On Clark and Brackett, there's $22 million in real money to be saved there over the next three seasons, which is huge, especially if you want the team to spend money on free agents and signing bonuses. And the cap savings for both of them are significantly larger in 2013, if we cut them this offseason. The objective in releasing them wouldn't be to make ourselves cap rich in 2012. It would be to save real money and to improve your cap standing in the future. And this is for two players who have missed half the games the past two seasons.

Dallas isn't that popular on the bench, and if Manning could be cut...

As for Gary, I'm the middle ground. I don't dislike him at all, he's always played hard, and he made a name for himself when he finally got his shot in 2005. He's been one of the leaders of the defense since then. He deserved his new contract before 2010. But since then, he simply hasn't performed. He'll be 32 before the season starts, he's undersized, especially for a defense that Pagano has said he wants to be bigger, and his cap hit in 2013 and 2014 will be $9 million, which is way out of bounds. Angerer and Conner can play inside linebacker in a 3-4, and they'll do it well. Gary is very replaceable. I like him and appreciate all he did for the team, but it's time to move on.

On Clark and Brackett, there's $22 million in real money to be saved there over the next three seasons, which is huge, especially if you want the team to spend money on free agents and signing bonuses. And the cap savings for both of them are significantly larger in 2013, if we cut them this offseason. The objective in releasing them wouldn't be to make ourselves cap rich in 2012. It would be to save real money and to improve your cap standing in the future. And this is for two players who have missed half the games the past two seasons.

Dallas isn't that popular on the bench, and if Manning could be cut...

As for Gary, I'm the middle ground. I don't dislike him at all, he's always played hard, and he made a name for himself when he finally got his shot in 2005. He's been one of the leaders of the defense since then. He deserved his new contract before 2010. But since then, he simply hasn't performed. He'll be 32 before the season starts, he's undersized, especially for a defense that Pagano has said he wants to be bigger, and his cap hit in 2013 and 2014 will be $9 million, which is way out of bounds. Angerer and Conner can play inside linebacker in a 3-4, and they'll do it well. Gary is very replaceable. I like him and appreciate all he did for the team, but it's time to move on.

I didn't say Dallas couldn't be cut, clearly anyone can I just don't think he's going to be because at some point you have to have someone for Andrew Luck to play with. Reggie Wayne is all but gone. Garcon based on the last report I heard turned down a contract that was going to pay him seven million a year to stay here so it looks like he wants out. I am sorry I don't see us going into next season with big passing weapons being Collie and Tamme (if we resign him). I think Clark stays. The Colts are't going to cut everyone just so they can go on a spending sprey over the next few years. Yes they are going to cut some players but they aren't going to cut everyone and they aren't going to cut people to make more holes when they already have a tone to fill. You can't send a team out there next year with second year players, rookies and undrafted free agents or you are going to get Luck killed.

As for Brackett cutting him makes another hole the Colts have to fill and only frees up about a millon in cap space this season. The Colts could very well hang on to him and Clark and if both don't produce this year release them after this off-season. I don't think it makes much sense to release them this season unless they are just completely sure he's not going to work in the new defense. In the next couple of years it might very well make more sense.

I like Conner but do we know if Conner can play Inside linebacker? Also if we don't bring Freeney back or leave him at end wouldn't it make more sense to leave Conner at OLB? I know people seem to think Hughes can make the move to OLB and he might be able too but he is anything but a sure bet and Wheeler is a free agent. So we don't really have another OLB on the roster.

This should answer that....

My opinion (and keep in mind, I don't know anything):

If we draft Luck, we'll be getting a really good quarterback who is ready to run a pro-style offense. He's used to taking snaps from under center, he's got great footwork, he's got a really good arm, he's super-athletic, and he's super-competitive.

What does our running back have to do with blocking? Improve the offensive line, come up with some different schemes to keep your quarterback clean, and let him use his athleticism to stay out of trouble. But you don't pay a veteran running back $10 million over the next two seasons just because he's a good pass blocker. Smart money is on cutting Addai. We should have let him walk last season and used that money to sign Donte Whitner.

The RB position has everything to do with Luck coming in and having some protection back there and Addai protects better than most rb's in the league. He is a good pass catcher, can run if given a hole. Now, if the team can correct the oline this offseason then I would concede your point but you can't fix the whole dang thing in one offseason so chill, I didn't say Addai is all world but he is a safety valve and solid protector for Luck in his first season.

I didn't say Dallas couldn't be cut, clearly anyone can I just don't think he's going to be because at some point you have to have someone for Andrew Luck to play with. Reggie Wayne is all but gone. Garcon based on the last report I heard turned down a contract that was going to pay him seven million a year to stay here so it looks like he wants out. I am sorry I don't see us going into next season with big passing weapons being Collie and Tamme (if we resign him). I think Clark stays. The Colts are't going to cut everyone just so they can go on a spending sprey over the next few years. Yes they are going to cut some players but they aren't going to cut everyone and they aren't going to cut people to make more holes when they already have a tone to fill. You can't send a team out there next year with second year players, rookies and undrafted free agents or you are going to get Luck killed.

As for Brackett cutting him makes another hole the Colts have to fill and only frees up about a millon in cap space this season. The Colts could very well hang on to him and Clark and if both don't produce this year release them after this off-season. I don't think it makes much sense to release them this season unless they are just completely sure he's not going to work in the new defense. In the next couple of years it might very well make more sense.

I like Conner but do we know if Conner can play Inside linebacker? Also if we don't bring Freeney back or leave him at end wouldn't it make more sense to leave Conner at OLB? I know people seem to think Hughes can make the move to OLB and he might be able too but he is anything but a sure bet and Wheeler is a free agent. So we don't really have another OLB on the roster.

I think the team has to look at Brackett and think he is aging, won't fit our scheme next season (assuming they transition fully 3-4) and his cap # and real dollars # doesn't make sense. We are not going to the SB this season so cut bait this year and have room for Powers and other free agents next season after Luck has a year under his belt. You have to be able to plan ahead and I think Brackett is low hanging fruit. Bullitt is too and it's possible that Addai and Clark get looks but I think they leave the Offense mostly alone to allow Luck to have some play makers who have been there and done it. Freeney is a HUGE question mark with that cap# 19mil though. Jeez, can't imagine loosing Manning and Freeney in the same year though. Building maintanance people will have a real job peeling all those murals off the facade :)

My opinion (and keep in mind, I don't know anything):

If we draft Luck, we'll be getting a really good quarterback who is ready to run a pro-style offense. He's used to taking snaps from under center, he's got great footwork, he's got a really good arm, he's super-athletic, and he's super-competitive.

So you, er, mean he is like, uhm, Superman? (The real one).

Freeney will be restructured, hands down. After releasing Peyton, it is obvious to everyone that if Peyton can be released, so can they. I am sure players will be willing to restructure, IMO. Wayne, Diem and Brackett will be the ones gone. Saturday might be brought back for a year at best but he may just hang it up or be let go as well.

Gonzo will be had for cheap, Garcon will also be re-signed, IMO.

There is a good chance, Peyton, Wayne and Saturday end up in Miami.

Saturday is the key for Manning's success in a new offense atleast for the transition phase. They can move Pouncey to right guard and have Saturday as center.

If this happens, boy they are SB bound.

This should answer that....

I sure hope we can get Coby Fleener somehow in the draft. Him and Luck would work great together and it would ease Luck's transition into the NFL. With everything the Colts are going through, it would be nice to bring in some consistency for Luck.

I wonder what exactly happens with Freeney...I heard his buddy Keith Bulluck said that Freeney won't stand up and be a linebacker....

freeney said after x seasons with his hand on the ground hes sees no reason to start to stand up know

Freeney has been "268" since the day he was drafted. That weight is just some number on a website, virtually meaningless. The real question is if Freeney can take on a blocker straight up and shed the block to make a play. That is what he will be asked to do IF the Colts shift to a 2-gap scheme. We know he excels at speed rushing in a 1-gap scheme.

Freeney will be restructured, hands down. After releasing Peyton, it is obvious to everyone that if Peyton can be released, so can they. I am sure players will be willing to restructure, IMO. Wayne, Diem and Brackett will be the ones gone. Saturday might be brought back for a year at best but he may just hang it up or be let go as well.

Gonzo will be had for cheap, Garcon will also be re-signed, IMO.

Why would Freeney care if we release him? If he doeasnt really want to play the 3-4 he would probably rather be cut. He would find a new team about as quickly as Peyton.

The RB position has everything to do with Luck coming in and having some protection back there and Addai protects better than most rb's in the league. He is a good pass catcher, can run if given a hole. Now, if the team can correct the oline this offseason then I would concede your point but you can't fix the whole dang thing in one offseason so chill, I didn't say Addai is all world but he is a safety valve and solid protector for Luck in his first season.

No team has relied on their running backs to block as much as the Colts have. There's nothing wrong with that scheme, but there's more than one way to pass block. And you don't pay Addai the kind of money he's due in the next two seasons just because he's a really good blocker (which he is). He's, at best, a utility player, and he's getting paid like he's an every down back. And he can't stay healthy, having missed significant time in three of the last four seasons, so his pass blocking is irrelevant if he's not on the field.

I'm not an Addai basher, and never have been. But at this point, it makes no sense to keep paying him the money he's due.

I sure hope we can get Coby Fleener somehow in the draft. Him and Luck would work great together and it would ease Luck's transition into the NFL. With everything the Colts are going through, it would be nice to bring in some consistency for Luck.

Yeah Coby Fleener would be nice.

No team has relied on their running backs to block as much as the Colts have. There's nothing wrong with that scheme, but there's more than one way to pass block. And you don't pay Addai the kind of money he's due in the next two seasons just because he's a really good blocker (which he is). He's, at best, a utility player, and he's getting paid like he's an every down back. And he can't stay healthy, having missed significant time in three of the last four seasons, so his pass blocking is irrelevant if he's not on the field.

I'm not an Addai basher, and never have been. But at this point, it makes no sense to keep paying him the money he's due.

You may be right and he may be cut. My point is that Addai is the best blocking RB on the team and he will make an excellent safety valve for Luck. Maybe the team will think about the blocking aspect differently since Luck has escape power. I don't care one way or the other if he stays or go but you cant fix it all this offseason so the things that Addai brings to the table may be enough to keep him on the roster this year.