Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offensive line ranked 10th best in NFL

bigt

29 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

Must mostly be pass blocking with the amount of pass attp and not run blocking....

That's what I was thinking.  I don't know if any run blocking stats would be legitimate given the amount of attempts Luck has thrown.  And the running plays would seem to be a change-up to the D and not something they are expecting and prepare for as the game wears on.  Not sure what a run block stat would tell us with our unbalanced O so far. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's what I was thinking.  I don't know if any run blocking stats would be legitimate given the amount of attempts Luck has thrown.  And the running plays would seem to be a change-up to the D and not something they are expecting and prepare for as the game wears on.  Not sure what a run block stat would tell us with our unbalanced O so far. 

It would tell us the amount of ypc the team has on running plays.   Maybe more in depth on which way they run,   probably down and distance.   Other than that,  what else could there be in grading the o line as a whole.    Breaking down each player to me is sketchy.   Without knowing the assignments,   only the coaching staff and the players know who did well and who didn't

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It would tell us the amount of ypc the team has on running plays.   Maybe more in depth on which way they run,   probably down and distance.   Other than that,  what else could there be in grading the o line as a whole.    Breaking down each player to me is sketchy.   Without knowing the assignments,   only the coaching staff and the players know who did well and who didn't

I was thinking that draws or delayed handoffs would be successful because we are playing off a successful passing game.  It might result in a high YPC but it would be reflective of a strong passing game or a lot of drop backs.  

They could even out over the course of a game, but with 62 attempts in one game, YPC might be a small universe to sample run plays.

Also I still want Smith at guard. His pure power is just as good as Nelson’s. He’s just not as agile. But his type of skill set is suited for a guard. It’s not even that he can’t play tackle. It’s just that his attributes would be better suited for RG where he can put the power to good use.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also I still want Smith at guard. His pure power is just as good as Nelson’s. He’s just not as agile. But his type of skill set is suited for a guard. It’s not even that he can’t play tackle. It’s just that his attributes would be better suited for RG where he can put the power to good use.

Let us see if they line up Jerry Hughes against him, would be interesting to watch.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

Let us see if they line up Jerry Hughes against him, would be interesting to watch.

Hughes is overrated on this board by people who wanted to create this narrative that Hughes was good and it was all about coaching. He had 2 years of 10 sacks back to back but since his season high is 6, which even Jonathan Newsome put up his rookie year. Once he didn’t have Mario Williams and Dareus he got exposed. I’m not worried about that matchup. It won’t be easy by any measure because Hughes is still a vet, but it’s not like Smith is going up against Watt or Mack.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:22 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Which confirms that the long term answer for RT isn’t on the roster. I still think Smith’s best position is RG. He’s the answer at RT now but not forever IMO.

So the Colts still need a RT long term.  They also have to think about replace Costanzo.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Hughes is overrated on this board by people who wanted to create this narrative that Hughes was good and it was all about coaching. He had 2 years of 10 sacks back to back but since his season high is 6, which even Jonathan Newsome put up his rookie year. Once he didn’t have Mario Williams and Dareus he got exposed. I’m not worried about that matchup. It won’t be easy by any measure because Hughes is still a vet, but it’s not like Smith is going up against Watt or Mack.

This season he's ranked #8 edge rusher by PFF and ranks pretty high in TFL and pressure rates. He hasn't been able to convert pressures to sacks like elite edge rushers but he's definitely a good edge rusher.

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

Let us see if they line up Jerry Hughes against him, would be interesting to

watch.

Hughes rarely lines up on the RT side. 

And this is year 2 of a complete rebuild.  Impressive.  The system plays a part in this but credit should also be given to the OL.  They've faced some nasty front 7s and have kept Luck standing for the most part.  It's funny because the only thing that's a huge risk to Luck's risk is how many times he's throwing a game. lol

A lot of people can eat some crow i believe.  Indy has been a running machine since Mack has been back.  A healthy o-line with him.  And Luck has only been sacked once...(that is 1 time!) in the past 3 games.  And the bills were #3 in the NFL in sacks coming into this game (we were 4th), and they never even sniffed Luck the entire game.  I think it is time to put the old worry of bad o-lines in our past where it deserves to be.  These guys have played great football the past 3 weeks.