Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Read About The Receivers

Tombstone

2 hours ago, adubb84 said:

Man can’t lie. Watching that video made me even more angry about the drops. 

Not only that, but it just reassures that it's not an Andrew Luck issue. I was admittedly naive enough to think that as long as the line improved & gave 12 ample time to throw, that it wouldn't really matter if we had great WRs or not, because Reich would scheme them open regardless.

Well the line improved, & Reich is drawing up some really nice plays to get our guys open, but these WRs are just atrocious. It's had so much more of an impact than I ever believed that it would, & it's beyond frustrating. Plus, coming into the season I definitely didn't count on TY & Doyle both missing multiple games at the same time, you have to think that having those 2 on the field would make a huge difference.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

That video is hilarious...unless one is a Colts fan.

Yeah I could see the satire side of things as an outsider, but as a fan it was rough :(. We are MUCH better than we have shown to be over the past 6 weeks. Just have to PROVE it. 

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not only that, but it just reassures that it's not an Andrew Luck issue. I was admittedly naive enough to think that as long as the line improved & gave 12 ample time to throw, that it wouldn't really matter if we had great WRs or not, because Reich would scheme them open regardless.

Well the line improved, & Reich is drawing up some really nice plays to get our guys open, but these WRs are just atrocious. It's had so much more of an impact than I ever believed that it would, & it's beyond frustrating. Plus, coming into the season I definitely didn't count on TY & Doyle both missing multiple games at the same time, you have to think that having those 2 on the field would make a huge difference.

You nailed it. As lame as an excuse as it may be I REALLY dont think that these 2nd and 3rd string WR’s were mentally prepared to take on the spot light and be heavily relied upon. Subsequently this leads to added pressure, over thinking and drops. Having Jack and TY back will make our offense come back to life in a hurry. However - hope this highlights the fact that we need more depth with our skill position people, more specifically wide receiver sooner than later. 

So a bunch of late round rookies can't catch the ball. So not shocking. 

That video is really embarrassing though.

Luck should be having a much better statistical season and I'm sure there's the case to be made that this is directly affecting wins and losses. 

I think our schedule has the following games:

This week: Bills

Next Week: Raiders

----Bye Week ----

Our current group of receivers need to step up for just two more weeks, against teams that we can hang with. After the bye week, I expect T.Y. and Doyle to return (hopefully), and then we can see what our offense can do when healthy (haven't seen the O-line, WR group, TEs, and RBs fully healthy together all season).

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I’m pretty sure that Ebron had his drops issues up in Detroit from what I recall others saying when we signed him. All the measurable in the world but had drops when the team couldn’t afford to have them. He has had a couple here, along with a few of them that would have been tough catches or contested but he isn’t immune here either. 

Ya that’s what I’m saying. Ebron has these problems since he entered the league and I don’t think coaching can fix it. However he is athletic enough to make plays and make up for his drops 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Fish said:

So a bunch of late round rookies can't catch the ball. So not shocking. 

This is what we rolled with last week.

Eric Ebron - 10th pick overall

Ryan Grant - Round 5

Zach Pascal - UDFA

Marcus Johnson - UDFA

Chester Rogers - UDFA

Erik Swoope - UDFA (basketball in college)

Mo Allie Cox - UDFA (basketball in college)

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

They are not catching with their hands or coming back to the ball with their hands, and are letting it hit their bodies. Rogers is the biggest culprit, and Hines' drops are also attributed to the same. They don't seem to execute the difference between using the body for the shield while using your hands for the catch, and end up using the body for both the shield and the catch.

Concentration lapses plus poor technique across the board is what I see. Who is our WRs coach?

Edit: found it - https://www.colts.com/team/coaches-roster/kevin-patullo

Disagree. Most of the drops have been the result of hand-eye issues--for example, attempting to clutch the ball either too soon or too late, not looking directly at the ball as they attempt to catch it. I think a lot of it is just lack of talent. If you could fix these types of mistakes then they'd be fixed by now. It's about talent, or lack thereof. Having good hands should take precedence over all other measurables. If you can't catch the ball, then it doesn't matter how big or fast you are, or how good a route you run. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. 

But its always easy to fire someone.  The trick is to hire someone who is better than the guy you fired.  If you can't, then firing him sets you back.

I'd cut pascal and bring up Brent, ishmael, or fountain.

15 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Name them please. And don't say Dez. And some evidence that they would come here if we offered them a shot. I'm asking out of ignorance, not having a pop at you.

7 or 8.Dont know much about them.http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018WR.php  

I bet a couple of them are better than what we have.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This is what we rolled with last week.

Eric Ebron - 10th pick overall

Ryan Grant - Round 5

Zach Pascal - UDFA

Marcus Johnson - UDFA

Chester Rogers - UDFA

Erik Swoope - UDFA (basketball in college)

Mo Allie Cox - UDFA (basketball in college)

Yeah.  A team has to do better than that.  Dorsett and Moncrief were attempts at finding talent.

CB should make a simple announcement to the team.  When TY comes back, we'll be cutting a WR from the roster to make room for the inevitable replacement backup for the next injured player.  We will be solely basing our choice on the WR with the most drops.  And that player will not be going to the practice squad.

That'll motivate them.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Radio said TY was a full go in practice today.  ??

Yes, but still no guarantee he'll go Sunday, yet.

Quotables-

"I know they need me, so I did everything I can to get back and I’ll test it out today and see what’s up.”

Also-

'Good news not only on the Hilton front, but seeing full participation out of Geathers, Good and Hunt, each of whom were inactive last Sunday against the Jets.'

My disappointment is not necessarily with the drops.  I get that the receiving corps is full of UDFA, however I was  hoping  we would be able to  find one player amongst the group.  If not does say something  of our positional coaching , scouting and/ or both? They have been given more than enough opportunities to sell themselves to the Colts coaching staff .  More opportunities than most players get because of the rash of injuries.  Hope that makes sense.

When I saw Ishmael signed as UDFA I looked up his high light reel and thought wow this guy might be pretty good. Haven"t seen/heard 1 thing about him since training camp started or throughout preseason. Wasn't sure if he was still on practice squad. Whats the take on this guy?