Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Problem With Our Backs

After a couple years and 3 preseason games, I am frustrated in seeing how our backs run the ball.   Minus Gore and Mack, it seems our backs like running straight into defensive bodies.  

The trait I like most about Mack is that he is not afraid to change directions.  This is why he broke off big runs.  Now I understand the North and south rule, but I am tired off seeing our backs running too safe.  Am I the only one who notices this?

I would like to see more of a risky run style from our backs is all, instead of just POWER POWER POWER...We need some finesse

You can't put all the blame on the backs. The line wasn't great tonight and it's not as easy as a play design being up the middle and, if the space isn't there, bounce outside.  

I don't disagree that the run game was poor but it's hard to argue with the fact our running backs and offensive line talent has been upgraded this year. Let's see what it looks like once our playbook is opened up.

34 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

You can't put all the blame on the backs. The line wasn't great tonight and it's not as easy as a play design being up the middle and, if the space isn't there, bounce outside.  

I don't disagree that the run game was poor but it's hard to argue with the fact our running backs and offensive line talent has been upgraded this year. Let's see what it looks like once our playbook is opened up.

I do agree with what you said.  It is just as much as the lines responsibility to block for these guys.  I just think Gore or Mack would have found some creases or cut back lanes; with how natural/instinctful they are.  I don't see that from the rest of the crew.  Hines being the most surprising disappointment, and Wilkins just needs a mentor.  Something we don't have anymore.  

After fat trimming day, I surely hope Ballard add some guys to this Oline.  We can only benefit from that

1 hour ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

After a couple years and 3 preseason games, I am frustrated in seeing how our backs run the ball.   Minus Gore and Mack, it seems our backs like running straight into defensive bodies.  

The trait I like most about Mack is that he is not afraid to change directions.  This is why he broke off big runs.  Now I understand the North and south rule, but I am tired off seeing our backs running too safe.  Am I the only one who notices this?

I would like to see more of a risky run style from our backs is all, instead of just POWER POWER POWER...We need some finesse

All our backs besides Mack are slow

Like I said in my running back post, If this is just smoke and mirrors then they are doing a great 

job in disguising our teams running back situation . When Luck can rush 4 times for the same amount of yards as our running backs then their is a problem. I hope that I wrong and this is just a smoke screen. If not welcome back  Andrew to 2015.
A

Hines hasn’t shown an ability to run between the tackles, OR kick it to the outside. He needs to improve ASAP. Wilkins meanwhile has shown an ability to run between the tackles, but when the line ain’t pushing like today, not much there.

Mack is still the most reliable in my eyes and we’re gonna need him to be healthy if the rooks can’t push it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Hines hasn’t shown an ability to run between the tackles, OR kick it to the outside. He needs to improve ASAP. Wilkins meanwhile has shown an ability to run between the tackles, but when the line ain’t pushing like today, not much there.

Mack is still the most reliable in my eyes and we’re gonna need him to be healthy if the rooks can’t push it.

This is how I feel as well.  Mack has best of both worlds.  It's up to the backs to know whether to run between tackles or make a bounce to the outside.  I need to see more of this from both Hines and Wilkins

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I want more Wilkins with the first team. Let him run with the big dogs. Michael is a career backup. Why do they insist on giving him the lions’ share of the work?

Because it's the preseason (not trying to be snarky). 

Hines has been disappointing.  Wilkins, on the other hand, has shown promise.  Mack is supposed to start on game one, along with Michaels and Wilkins.  As far as I’m concerned, the Colts can cut Hines and I wouldn’t care one bit.  I do feel that we might pick another RB up from another team ( along with an obvious RT).  Game 5 we will get Turbo back too.

When did the colts get rid of Matt Jones and why?

I thought Ballard said he liked him.. I just now seen the Eagles gave him a 2 year contract. My thoughts is he probably as good as wilkins, turbin, michael, hines?

None of the above will be difference makers. And neither will be if we add any rb that will be cut by other teams. The only chance of a difference making rb we can hope for is Mack. Just not sure how durable he can be EVEN if he is a above average back.

But I'm hoping to see Mack in week 1 and see what he can do.