Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

George Iloka

oldunclemark

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Cincinnatti's starting safety released after 4 seasons....as the starter......for cash money reasons..

6-4, 215.......28 years old...…...who needs him? 

….Dallas...?  Green Bay?  Bears?   ...another certain Midwest team?

When Iloka was a free agent two or so years ago, the Vikings tried to sign him. Reports were that we offered more but he chose to stay with the Bengals. He has a relationship with Coach Zimmer from Zimmer's days in Cincy.  We now have no room for Iloka unless we move on from Andrew Sendejo. With these new rules, I can see Sendejo being penalized often because of his excessively aggressive style of play. So, maybe we replace him with Iloka. Not likely. 

On 8/20/2018 at 1:48 PM, NFLfan said:

When Iloka was a free agent two or so years ago, the Vikings tried to sign him. Reports were that we offered more but he chose to stay with the Bengals. He has a relationship with Coach Zimmer from Zimmer's days in Cincy.  We now have no room for Iloka unless we move on from Andrew Sendejo. With these new rules, I can see Sendejo being penalized often because of his excessively aggressive style of play. So, maybe we replace him with Iloka. Not likely. 

@oldunclemark He is signing with the Vikings.

Link: Iloka to sign with Vikings

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Strength on strength!  You must be excited for the new season?

Yes, I'm excited, as I am every year at this time. I wish we valued offensive linemen as much as we do defensive backs.  Our OL is subpar and may hold us back from playing as well on offense as we hope. We'll see.

All the best to the Colts this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, I'm excited, as I am every year at this time. I wish we valued offensive linemen as much as we do defensive backs.  Our OL is subpar and may hold us back from playing as well on offense as we hope. We'll see.

There is such a derth of talent at OL that many teams will be in the same boat. 

With Cousins coming in, Diggs/Thielen at WR and hopefully a healthy Cook in the backfield, it should be a great watch on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Iloka to Vikes seemed destined, to me.

OL is tough position to fill well for many teams (Our own Colts these last few or more years for example) even when GM's try.  Due to the preponderance of the college spread game today, most OL are just not prepared to properly pass block in the NFL.  Combined with the reduced time players are coached (CBA regulated) in the off season (none!) and pre-season (significantly less the years prior to 2011 CBA) they don't get the required instruction and reps to improve as fast as needed.  In addition, they are in a big collision most every play, so many/most get nicked up early which hampers performance. Finally, the draft rules and salary cap (for competitive balance purposes) prevent teams from just buying up all the best players to fill all weak spots on their team.

So every team has soft spots, and I feel solid players in the trenches is the backbone of a decent team. Shurmur is gone, so you have to hope DeFilippo has schemes that can utilize Cousins talents, yet not overly expose him to risk.  Good luck on the season.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Your OL is not nearly as bad as you make it seem. Based on 2017 stats, they are middle of the pack in run blocking but were Top 6 in pass blocking, so it cannot be that Case Keenum protected you all the time :). For years, that is how the Colts under Peyton were, middle of the road in run blocking and around top 5 in pass blocking. With an upgrade at QB, you will be better on the passing front, no doubt in my mind. Good luck!!!

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Look at Baltimore - Top 10 in pass and run blocking, lack of QB play is what killed them, like lack of good D with Raiders. 2017 AFC Playoffs would have been different with the Ravens in the picture, I think 2018 playoffs will have them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Your OL is not nearly as bad as you make it seem. Based on 2017 stats, they are middle of the pack in run blocking but were Top 6 in pass blocking, so it cannot be that Case Keenum protected you all the time :). For years, that is how the Colts under Peyton were, middle of the road in run blocking and around top 5 in pass blocking. With an upgrade at QB, you will be better on the passing front, no doubt in my mind. Good luck!!!

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Look at Baltimore - Top 10 in pass and run blocking, lack of QB play is what killed them, like lack of good D with Raiders. 2017 AFC Playoffs would have been different with the Ravens in the picture, I think 2018 playoffs will have them.

Every year is different. Our top offensive lineman Joe Berger retired. Nick Easton is on IR -- lost for the season.  Pat Elflein and Mike Remmers are injured. We are starting players that had been on the practice squad last year. 

Even if we had the same OL as we had last year, our OL would not rate as high. Keenum made the OL look better, as he evaded pressure and did not take many sacks. Ask any Vikings fan if you don't believe me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Every year is different. Our top offensive lineman Joe Berger retired. Nick Easton is on IR -- lost for the season.  Pat Elflein and Mike Remmers are injured. We are starting players that had been on the practice squad last year. 

Even if we had the same OL as we had last year, our OL would not rate as high. Keenum made the OL look better, as he evaded pressure and did not take many sacks. Ask any Vikings fan if you don't believe me. 

Yes hopefully Kirk and Cook can help cover up some of those insufficiencies. You have the team to beat in the NFC if you ask me.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, NFLfan said:

Maybe they trade Sendejo you could get a second or 3rd out of him I bet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Maybe they trade Sendejo you could get a second or 3rd out of him I bet.

I don't know. There are still some free agent safeties like Eric Reid who are still available in free agency. Reid is better than Sendejo, I believe. Let's see. 

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, and the lack of starter quality O linemen not only make it hard for the have nots, but also for the haves suffering injury.  Look at the Cowboys, Dak and Zeke are both pulled from any further pre-season games because of their O lines situations and lack of quality depth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, and the lack of starter quality O linemen not only make it hard for the have nots, but also for the haves suffering injury.  Look at the Cowboys, Dak and Zeke are both pulled from any further pre-season games because of their O lines situations and lack of quality depth.

The Travis Frederick situation is a sad one

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome 

He has started the treatments but this is no timetable for a return 

I had never heard of that until a friend of mine was diagnosed with it 10 years ago, It paralyzes you where you can't move. He made a full recovery but wasn't healthy and back to normal for a Month. He got alot of treatments. 

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What happened?

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome 

He has started the treatments but this is no timetable for a return 

Yes, I also feel bad for him.  By reports, he had early diagnosis, and began early treatment.  This is key because he then has a > 80% chance of making a full recovery.  But  make no mistake, because of his occupation, The rest and rehab he will have will more than likely be months (rather than weeks) before he will be cleared to practice then eventually play.  Probably well into the season, unfortunately.

Also, There is little chance of re-occurrence (about 1 in 50,000) so there is no threat to his career when/if he can make a full recovery first.  La'el Collins says ankle OK, and Zack Martin says he'll be ready by week 1.  So there's that ...

• Like 1