Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polianesque

Fluke_33

Did anyone else feel like they were watching a polian draft.  It had the same feel to me.  All high character picks.  Leaders and captains.  Speed guys. Run hit lbs.  seemed like reaches. Passing on big names etc.  I even think we found the next mike Peterson or Cato June.   

Polians drafts used used to frustrate me until they started playing then I loved his picks.  I bet this draft class proves CB made the right choices. 

Leaonard seems like a small school Roquan Smith.  Excited to see what he can do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Did anyone else feel like they were watching a polian draft.  It had the same feel to me.  All high character picks.  Leaders and captains.  Speed guys. Run hit lbs.  seemed like reaches. Passing on big names etc.  I even think we found the next mike Peterson or Cato June.   

Polians drafts used used to frustrate me until they started playing then I loved his picks.  I bet this draft class proves CB made the right choices. 

Leaonard seems like a small school Roquan Smith.  Excited to see what he can do. 

No. 

Polian would have never selected Nelson at 6 and I doubt he would’ve even traded down from 3.

And he wouldn’t have used two of our first 3 picks on guards , and I bet he would’ve taken a RB or WR in the second round minimum.

This was nothing like a Polian draft. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trueman said:

No. 

Polian would have never selected Nelson at 6 and I doubt he would’ve even traded down from 3.

And he wouldn’t have used two of our first 3 picks on guards , and I bet he would’ve taken a RB or WR in the second round minimum.

Yes, and people said the same thing in free agency - it was Polian-esque.  No, Ballard pursued numerous free agents.  They simply chose to sign elsewhere.  

There isn't much of anything that reminds me of Polian.

55 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Yes and no. 

I loved Bill Polian as our GM. That said, I wish he would have spent earlier picks on the trench players. It’s the only real problem I ever had with Polian. 

I have said for over a year now that Ballard reminds me a lot of Polian. I think they share many similar traits. 

However, Ballard is very serious about building the offensive and defensive lines. Polian spent many early picks on skilled players.

I watched Polian pass on premium offensive line and front seven talent, even when we were in dire need. On the other hand, if Ballard feels we have a weakness on the front lines then he will not hesitate to pull the trigger with a top pick. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trueman said:

No. 

Oh that’s true.  Polian did not spend high on guards.  My point was on the tenor of the entire draft for the reasons previously stated but I get your point. 

They are similar in that neither is going to influenced by the hype going on in the media. Remember when the media said Ricky Williams was the greatest thing since sliced bread and Polian took Edgerrin (thank God).

Fairly common trait amongst GMs I would think. Dorsey in Cleveland just stunned most people with the Mayfield pick because the media kept pumping us with Darnold and Allen.

I believe Ballard has the potential makings of another Bill Polian. Hopefully he isn't as smug as Crusty Bill used to be when people questioned his decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Polianesque?

I didn't realize we drafted Freeney, Mathis, Sanders type players.

Can't wait till pre-season.

That’s my point.  You didn’t realize those players were what they were when he took them.  Don’t tell me you wanted James over Williams or were happy with the Reggie pick until they played.   I am an optimist and believe and hope these players turn out to be the right selections for building a great team

19 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

That’s my point.  You didn’t realize those players were what they were when he took them.  Don’t tell me you wanted James over Williams or were happy with the Reggie pick until they played.   I am an optimist and believe and hope these players turn out to be the right selections for building a great team

Ok. So shouldn't we wait till these draft picks show that they will be stars/playmakers before we compare them to Polian type draftees?

The other 31 GM's may also have had a Polianesque type draft as well.

My point is being optimistic is great, but let's not crown someone 'king of the hill' before he gets to the Top.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Ok. So shouldn't we wait till these draft picks show that they will be stars/playmakers before we compare them to Polian type draftees?

The other 31 GM's may also have had a Polianesque type draft as well.

My point is being optimistic is great, but let's not crown someone 'king of the hill' before he gets to the Top.

You can do that.  The fun of the draft for me is projecting what we might have gotten.  To each his own.  

5 hours ago, Trueman said:

No. 

If Polian wouldn’t have taken Nelson at 6, then Ballard is the better GM based on that merit alone.