Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

About Ballard and Free Agency

NewColtsFan

So.....

Here on the website,  reporter Caroline Cann interviewed Ballard at the NFL Meetings.     It's a 9 minute-plus interview,  and it's all worth watching....

But....

At about the 1:40 mark, Ballard talks about building a locker-room and then goes right into the future of him buying Free Agents...

He literalyl says the Colts are NOT going to always avoid free agency.   That there will soon come a time where it makes sense to bring in more players via FA.

So, click there and listen...   the sound bite is about 20-25 seconds or so....     but it gets to the point....

Again,  the rest of the interview is good as well.     It's always good to hear what Ballard has to say......

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/NFL-Annual-Meetings-One-on-one-with-Chris-Ballard/ab634a06-3ae8-4e89-95b4-516961d939e1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

By the way....

I think this confirms the thought expressed here a few weeks ago that Ballard is trying to gain compensatory draft picks for 2019.    I think at last mention, the Colts were in line for a 4 and a 5.

I don't pretend to know how the formula works, but I believe one aspect is FA signings prior to June 1 count toward the formula.   FA players signed June 1 or later do not.

So, I'm expecting Ballard to make his move right after that deadline.   I hope we'll find another WR and perhaps a LB like Toomer?

If I'm off on that deadline date, I don't think it's by much.   I'm sure someone will correct me.   Normally that might be Superman, but he appears to be on a short temporary hiatus.   I'm sure he'll be back right before the draft...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way....

I think this confirms the thought expressed here a few weeks ago that Ballard is trying to gain compensatory draft picks for 2019.    I think at last mention, the Colts were in line for a 4 and a 5.

I don't pretend to know how the formula works, but I believe one aspect is FA signings prior to June 1 count toward the formula.   FA players signed June 1 or later do not.

So, I'm expecting Ballard to make his move right after that deadline.   I hope we'll find another WR and perhaps a LB like Toomer?

If I'm off on that deadline date, I don't think it's by much.   I'm sure someone will correct me.   Normally that might be Superman, but he appears to be on a short temporary hiatus.   I'm sure he'll be back right before the draft...

Im not 100% sure on this, but I feel like the cutoff date is in May. 

I think that was the whole deal behind the May 9th Tender that the Pats slapped on Blount last yr. If he got signed to another team before July 22nd he still counted towards the comp pick calculations. Seems odd that the tender date would be almost a month before the cutoff date for Comp consideration. My guess is that it is much closer to the Tender cutoff date. 

Cant seem to readily find definitive proof on an exact date though, and I dont care to spend the time/effort to figure it out at this exact moment. 

• Thanks 1

Like others have said, I’d rather have this boat load of Cap space in 2019 and onward, when we’re a little closer to contention. Plus, the FA class was weak this year.

Worth noting though, Ballard DID go after a couple big name free agents this year and last. He’s obviously gonna try to nab em, but he won’t overpay for them when the team still needs an infusion of young talent on virtually every position but Quarterback.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Ballard takes a drink of water it seems when asked questions he’s probably tired of answering or questions he’d perferrably not answer but has to. Jmho

That's not stress, that comes with the job. He normally laughs so that tells me he is not stressed.

4 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Ballard takes a drink of water it seems when asked questions he’s probably tired of answering or questions he’d perferrably not answer but has to. Jmho

Life is way too short to try and find the hidden meaning of what or when he takes a drink of something.  Your tin foil hat should be applied to more noble pursuits - like why ESPN hates the Colts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Ballard is saving cap for the future for when we’re contenders. Since they’re saying it’s a three year rebuild they’re gonna go all out in 2019/2020 when we’re a few key players away from our reign over the league. 

Mack/Donald 2019! 

And Le’Veon Bell if he stays off the smoke grass, that’s a great trio of FA additions :)

8 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Like others have said, I’d rather have this boat load of Cap space in 2019 and onward, when we’re a little closer to contention. Plus, the FA class was weak this year.

Worth noting though, Ballard DID go after a couple big name free agents this year and last. He’s obviously gonna try to nab em, but he won’t overpay for them when the team still needs an infusion of young talent on virtually every position but Quarterback.

Gonna draft a young QB at 6 too cause that Andrew Luck Guy is just an overrated injury prone turnover machine 

:sarcasm:

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way....

I believe the date is May 8th.

Also, I think at the moment the Colta are in line for a 4th(Moncrief) and 7th(Gore) round comp pick.

Mingo

Bostic

Melvin

Offset

Slausen

Grant

Our DE Autry?(can't ever remember his name)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way....

Makes sense. I've been wondering if he was hanging back waiting for a couple of cuts, or to save comp picks. I really, really hope the Colts do not go into the season with the 3 vet wideouts they have now and a couple of rookies. That would be a mess if any serious injury happened to one of  the top 3. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I did a quick google of comp picks in rounds 4-7. Here are a few:

Tom Brady

Antoine Bethea

Pierre Garcon

La'Roi Glover

Marques Colston

Matt Hasselbeck

Pat Tillman

Josh Sitton

Ahmad Bradshaw

wheres the list of guys from those rounds that didnt do much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's not stress, that comes with the job. He normally laughs so that tells me he is not stressed.

17 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I brought this up as a joke about the ice water in his veins and now we have his psychological profile.  Haha.  I have another one for you.  He parts his hair on the right.  

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

wheres the list of guys from those rounds that didnt do much

It's too long to list. :) 

Really just pointing out that getting additional picks, even in middle/late rounds, gives you more chances of hitting on a good player. It will rarely be a player at the level of the player who left, but some do pan out nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

I brought this up as a joke about the ice water in his veins and now we have his psychological profile.  Haha.  I have another one for you.  He parts his hair on the right.  

I was just saying it seems like it. It meant nothing at all. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

They excite teams who tend to be quite successful...

the colts just dont have the greatest record with late round draft picks

i goolged it, and the last time we have had a 4th round pick or later stick around and be a solid contributor was mcafee in the 7th in 2009! we had a couple others that managed a good year or two, but none have been able to keep it up, and pat is gone now too

go back further and we found mathis and bethea in the 5th and 6th, but thats like one hit in the last 20 years in those rounds 

to be fair, we have geathers now, who who i like and he was a 4th.  hes had one good season and two where he didnt do that much 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i goolged it, and the last time we have had a 4th round pick or later stick around and be a solid contributor was mcafee in the 7th in 2009! we had a couple others that managed a good year or two, but none have been able to keep it up, and pat is gone now too

go back further and we found mathis and bethea in the 5th and 6th, but thats like one hit in the last 20 years in those rounds 

to be fair, we have geathers now, who who i like and he was a 4th.  hes had one good season and two where he didnt do that much 

Ballard is starting off strong with Mack and Hairston in the later rounds.

Banner was an obvious bust but Walker and Grover are still no locks

to make the team.

1 minute ago, dodsworth said:

Ballard is starting off strong with Mack and Hairston in the later rounds.

Banner was an obvious bust but Walker and Grover are still no locks

to make the team.

i do like mack

i already commented on hairstone. so far meh, but it does seem like he could get better

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

You do know that the scouting team has in all probability been overhauled right? 

I feel he is going to build through the draft and only sign medium to low-cost FA vets until such time as they are competitive enough to "go for it".  I think they're still a couple more drafts from that time but you never know in today's NFL.  If the team is better than expected this upcoming season then I think you could see him go after some higher tag guys, but otherwise he's saving that cap space for when it will pay off IMHO.

On 4/2/2018 at 11:05 AM, aaron11 said:

Maybe in the FUTURE we will be more like NE that had 17 UDFA on their SB roster. Get it?