Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Hybridization Of A Defense

The Peytonator

This could turn into a long post, but for those out there who are wondering how we might operate a 3-4 base defense, and if we have the personnel to execute it, you should bear with me.

Obviously, as we’ve all heard, we will not be using a ‘traditional’ 3-4, like the Steelers do. I am not a big fan of that brand of defense for the simple fact that it doesn’t make sense to use 3 linemen who are forced to control all the gaps on the LOS. Ours will be what we’re calling a ‘hybrid’ defense. I like that term because, while we will have 3 down linemen, each guy in the front 7 will be responsible for one gap. Also keep in mind that last offseason, the Texans announced they would be switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4, and they went from 30th overall, to 2nd overall. Before the season a lot of talking heads were saying that it wasn’t a practical use of their personnel too.

It is in my opinion, that even before the draft, as long as we resign 2 key players, Wheeler and Anderson, who shouldn’t be too expensive, we could operate this defense just fine….and that’s without accounting for possible free agency playing a part in the transformation.

Here is a picture of how the scheme works on base packages, and what gap each player would be responsible for. This does not account for their responsibilities in coverage though, other than the CBs being man-to-man. Sorry for my crude MSPaint drawing lol.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2znvmkz.jpg

DLine

I know people are going to be all, ‘OMG Moala? He SUCKS!!!’ This is quite frankly not true. Although I didn’t record games to rewatch them, I did specifically pay attention to the play of Moala. He gets a lot of penetration, and routinely takes on the double team. If any of our current DTs are a liability, it’s Mookie, not Fili. Because of Moala’s ability to take on the double team, and get in the backfield at times, I have him penciled in at RE in the scheme.

At the other end spot, I have Anderson listed, but if we could get Cory Redding to come over here, that would be even better. Anderson proved last year to be very effective against the run. He would fit this scheme just fine, holding his own against whichever RT he goes against. Plus he also shows some promise in generating pass rush. I know he only had 3 sacks, but that’s actually pretty good for the role he played. Still though I would like to bring in a couple more 5 tech DEs this offseason; one in the draft, maybe Kendall Reyes early or Derek Wolfe later, and one in free agency, hopefully Redding. If we can’t obtain a quality free agent though, Ricardo Mathews and Ollie Ogbu have both shown enough promise to warrant a roster spots, and possible place in a rotation at the 5 tech position.

Now we arrive to the all-important Nose spot. Last year, when we drafted Nevis, everyone was all excited about the guy’s potential. He showed a lot of promise early, but then got hurt and wasn’t the same for the rest of the year. Next year hopefully he regains his form, because I feel he could be a monster in the middle. Everybody keeps saying we need a 350 lb behemoth to take on double teams, but for our defense, one that will rely on quickness off the snap and penetration, that is not a requirement. At least for the present time, playing a Jay Ratliff type role, Nevis could be very solid in the middle. In my scheme pic, I don’t have him lined up in the 0 tech, he is more shaded over to the 1 or 2 tech. This would make it easier for him to get penetration, and might even force the Center and Guard to double him. I’ll say this however, if somehow Dontari Poe fell to the second round, Grigson better get that guy in Colts blue. I really doubt he would fall to us there, so we’ll probably end up taking someone like Josh Chapman later in the draft, and try to develop him. If we looked through free agency though, Shaun Rogers, who is a much different player from Nevis, would be a great short term fix as double team taker/run clogger. He just doesn’t have the stamina to be more than a 2 down player.

LBs

At ROLB I have a combo of Freeney, Hughes, and Hickman. This is the linebacker that rushes on probably 80% of the snaps out of this formation. Considering we haven’t heard crap about negotiations with Mathis, I am assuming he’ll be testing the free agency market. I know he’s a good football player, but I really feel Hughes can step it up with more opportunities to play, and if not, we have Hickman. Hopefully he can be the next Cameron Wake. Either way, I think we could easily generate enough pass rush on that side regardless of who it’s coming from. When the ROLB drops into coverage, it’s usually just to cover the flat in case one of the backs goes out there. Freeney, Hughes, and I assume Hickman, are all athletic enough to cover that area. Also one reason I think playing 3-4 OLB would be better for Freeney, is that we won’t have to worry about him running himself out of plays like he does at DE. When he plays DE, he typically runs himself so far outside the OT, that the B gap is wide open, and it makes it a lot harder for the Will to stop the RB with so much space.

The LOLB spot, provided we resign him, easily goes to Wheeler. I can’t say enough about the guy. He’s our best LB in coverage and teams know this so they avoid throwing his way. He sets the edge as good as anyone, and although we rarely get to see it, he can rush the passer. I specifically remember a game, not last year but the year before, either Freeney or Mathis was out, and Wheeler took over their pass rushing spot. He was getting around the edge with ease and forcing the QB to throw long before he was ready. At LOLB in a 3-4, Wheeler will excel. Coming out of college he was projected as a 3-4 OLB, so he would be returning to his true position.

At the RILB spot, the obvious answer is Pat Angerer. We all love Pat. Even in his young age, he is in the top 10 MLBs in the league, and that ranking will only go up by playing in a better scheme. He has an uncanny ability of being in on the tackle on seemingly every single play. His coverage ability I would say is underrated too. I recall during the preseason game against the Packers, he was playing the Sam position, so he was matched one-on-one with Jermichael Finley. He got beat, but it was by about an inch, and Rodgers made a perfect throw. He stuck with one of the top tier TEs all the way down the field, and that speaks volumes about his coverage ability. In the 3-4 RILB spot, he’ll mostly be playing a middle zone coverage, and keep his eyes on the backfield. We know he can play zone coverage as that’s all he ever has done in our Tampa 2 scheme.

At LILB I’m going to assume we go with Conner. He proved himself last year. You gotta love a 7th round draft pick that fights his way into the starting lineup as a rookie. His coverage ability leaves a little to be desired, but he has shown great football instincts in hitting his gap and making tackles. I wouldn’t leave him on the field for nickel packages, but in the base downs, he can hold his own very well. He looks a lot like Navorro Bowman, and I think he could play a similar role. If our MLBs are playing man coverage, I would much rather put him on the fullback or H-back, and let Angerer take on the better TE. Normally though, both guys will be playing a middle zone with their eyes to the backfield.

Secondary

Obviously right now Jerraud Powers is our number 1 guy. Anything can happen in camp, but I look for him to retain his spot. I know most people feel our CB crops are weak, but at the same time they willingly admit that it was more the fault of the scheme. I don’t have any links, but I remember reading somewhere that when our CBs play man, the amount pass/catch ratio is much more favorable. I like Rucker playing as more of a physical, man-to-man corner, so I have him starting opposite powers. Thomas could also push for the job, but who really knows at this point. I would also like to see us bring back Tryon. He always seemed to keep his man relatively quiet for games….even Andre Johnson. For the draft I would look at all the really physical corners, that excel in bump and run or press coverage, and pick one in an appropriate round.

I don’t think I need to explain why I have Antoine Bethea marked down as our Free Safety. My only concern is that, a lot of times in a 3-4, one of the safeties has to play man coverage. I don’t know if Bethea would be able to do that very well or not, but I’m willing to test him at it.

At SS I really liked Joe Lefeged last year. He came to us undrafted and because of the lockout he didn’t have much of a training camp. His abilities are more in the realm of playing center field, and giving the CB help over the top. He is a very rangy safety who also might have the ability to play some man coverage. With Bullitt’s heavy contract and recent injury history, I wouldn’t mind just cutting him and bringing in a late round draft pick that can play for 1/8 the contract. Either that or I would see about bringing back Matt Giordano, as I said in another thread, provided that he doesn’t cost too much. I know that safety play is important, but I don’t feel we are lacking in the position enough to where I’d want to spend an early pick on Barron or Harrison Smith.

Also people need to keep in mind that this is only the ‘Base’ defense. Teams only play in their base defense roughly 50% of the time. It all just depends on who the offense is bringing on the field.

On Nickel packages I’d have it look like this

RE – Freeney

DT – Nevis

DT – Anderson/Redding/possible draft pick

LE – Hughes/Hickman

LB – Angerer

LB – Wheeler

CB – Powers

CB – Rucker

CB – Thomas

FS – Bethea

SS – Lefeged/Giordano

They are probably going to use the Ravens Hybrid Front in the 3-4, 4-3 scheme. This is two gap and requires the rushing ROLB to play DE and then it becomes a 4-3. The RDE needs to be a Hybrid type player capable of playing DT, which is why I like Reyes and Kheeston Randal. Moala sucks bro.. I don't understand why anyone likes any DT on the team besides Nevis.

They are probably going to use the Ravens Hybrid Front in the 3-4, 4-3 scheme. This is two gap and requires the rushing ROLB to play DE and then it becomes a 4-3. The RDE needs to be a Hybrid type player capable of playing DT, which is why I like Reyes and Kheeston Randal. Moala sucks bro.. I don't understand why anyone likes any DT on the team besides Nevis.

I like Reyes but he might not be there at our #2 pick. I also like Randall as a later round prospect.

But seriously man, Moala does not suck. The reason people think he sucks is probably because he didn't get on the field his rookie year, he doesn't generate sacks, and at times we get gashed in the run. The fact is though, when we do get gashed, it's not because of him. It's typically because our DEs don't contain the edge and the LBs end up getting blocked out of the play. Moala gets doubled on run plays up the middle, so it's the job of the guys around him to make plays. Mookie fails to do so, thus he is the weak link at DT. When Nevis and Moala were in together, that is when we had the best DT combo. Both guys are capable of getting penetration if the other is doubled.

I like Reyes but he might not be there at our #2 pick. I also like Randall as a later round prospect.

But seriously man, Moala does not suck. The reason people think he sucks is probably because he didn't get on the field his rookie year, he doesn't generate sacks, and at times we get gashed in the run. The fact is though, when we do get gashed, it's not because of him. It's typically because our DEs don't contain the edge and the LBs end up getting blocked out of the play. Moala gets doubled on run plays up the middle, so it's the job of the guys around him to make plays. Mookie fails to do so, thus he is the weak link at DT. When Nevis and Moala were in together, that is when we had the best DT combo. Both guys are capable of getting penetration if the other is doubled.

I have watched and rewatchef countless games over the years, Moala cannot handle double teams because he played UT not NT, he can't beat his man one on one and looked like one of those tops you spin, Mookie and foster and Mathews are all the same. Colts need two new 5 tech DE's and one of them who can play DT.

I like your analysis. I think we will end up tagging Mathis... And I think of the two, Mathis or Freeney, I think Mathis would have the best chance of adapting to the 3-4 hybrid... not that Free couldnt... He is a great athelete... I just think Mathis is the more adaptable of the two.

Good convo tho. I am excited to see what happens in the draft and check out training camp to see this new D being put together!

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I agree about Moala, Anderson and Wheeler and their signifigance in making the transition smoother. I believe they would all do well in the hybrid 3-4 Indy is planning on using as a base defense. I am not sold on Nevis at NT but I have been wrong many times before ;)

we also brought in Mario Harvey during the offseason to be a Rushing LB. He's out of Marshall University and someone i wanted the Colts to draft in the late rounds last year.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=77863&draftyear=2011&genpos=ILB 5' 11" ... 260 lbs .... 10 yard dash - 1.6sec .... 40 yard - 4.46sec

I look forward to seeing what he can do in this Defense.

we also brought in Mario Harvey during the offseason to be a Rushing LB. He's out of Marshall University and someone i wanted the Colts to draft in the late rounds last year.

http://www.nfldrafts...2011&genpos=ILB 5' 11" ... 260 lbs .... 10 yard dash - 1.6sec .... 40 yard - 4.46sec

I look forward to seeing what he can do in this Defense.

I don't know anything about Harvey but I like that 40 time. His size reminds me of an Elvis Dumervil type guy. Nice low center of gravity, really fast, and pretty big size for his height. That draft profile says he played in the middle, so hopefully that means he can cover too.

I don't know anything about Harvey but I like that 40 time. His size reminds me of an Elvis Dumervil type guy. Nice low center of gravity, really fast, and pretty big size for his height. That draft profile says he played in the middle, so hopefully that means he can cover too.

Coverage ILB or OLB.

Where does this leave Brackett? Don't we still have him for a few years?

Brackett is probably gone this year. His cap hit keeps going up, and he's only getting older. I don't know if anyone would take a trade for him, so we might just have to cut him and save some cap space. Tampa Bay needs linebackers so maybe they would give us a 6th rounder or something for him. But I don't really know what his worth is in a trade.

Alright! Another Philip Wheeler fan. I've liked him ever since Georgia Tech though hahah.

I wouldn't call his natural position OLB in a 3-4, but he could play well their. He can play well in a 4-3 at OLB, we just have to use him properly. Just look at what Von Miller did playing 4-3 OLB in Denver, he had 11.5 of sacks and played very well. I think that a quality defensive coach could get a whole lot more out of our players if he uses them correctly. Philip Wheeler should definitely blitz more, and I bet Pagano could help Jerry Hughes to become a better player. I still like Jerry Hughes.

I still want us to stay in a 4-3 base defense, but I'm not opposed to using a 1-gap 3-4 in specific situations. Whatever counters the opposing offense the best is what we should use.

Alright here's another epic paint drawing of a blitz package that I honestly don't see how an offense could move the ball.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/15x6elj.jpg

As you can see, we're bringing 6 people after the QB. I have 4 defenders; Powers, Angerer, Lefeged, and Rucker, playing a middle zone type coverage. Bethea is covering over the top in case a CB needs help. Basically the way I would have the CBs play is give a nice cushion while watching the QB. If the WR does a quick slant, jump the pass and go for the pick or at least break it up. If he goes vertical, just run with him for a couple seconds and one of those six rushers gets to the QB.

Lefeged I would have doing a similar coverage against the TE. If the tight end stays in to block, he just stays in his zone and watches the QBs eyes hoping for an errant throw or misread of coverage. If the TE releases into the flat, he runs right at him and pops him as soon as he catches the ball. If the TE goes down the field on a seam route, he runs with him for a second til the QB gets sacked.

Angerer has a similar middle zone, but all he has to do is watch the QBs eyes and keep the RB/FB/H-back in check. If they run to the ball between the LG and C, he plugs his gap and stops the RB in his tracks.

Conner disguises his blitz so they aren't prepared for it, and comes on a bit of a delay.

Wheeler comes flying around the edge, same with Freeney.

The three Dlinemen clog their gap and try to cause a double team, since obviously the offense isn't expecting such a blitz.

This defensive play, I just don't see how an offense could move the ball, unless they did a screen, which the defense should be able to read right away with the pulling guard or tackle. If they try a play action pass, it's a sack for sure. If they run it, it's a tackle for loss, or at least no gain. If they go mass protect, we're still bringing 6 people and confusion happens or somebody beats their man in a couple seconds to disrupt the QB's throw or cause a sack strip.

So what do you guys think? Am I just a stupid armchair defensive coordinator, or should Irsay have hired me instead of Manuskey?

Alright! Another Philip Wheeler fan. I've liked him ever since Georgia Tech though hahah.

I wouldn't call his natural position OLB in a 3-4, but he could play well their. He can play well in a 4-3 at OLB, we just have to use him properly. Just look at what Von Miller did playing 4-3 OLB in Denver, he had 11.5 of sacks and played very well. I think that a quality defensive coach could get a whole lot more out of our players if he uses them correctly. Philip Wheeler should definitely blitz more, and I bet Pagano could help Jerry Hughes to become a better player. I still like Jerry Hughes.

I still want us to stay in a 4-3 base defense, but I'm not opposed to using a 1-gap 3-4 in specific situations. Whatever counters the opposing offense the best is what we should use.

I believe in Vic Fangio's old D he would have had an impact similar to Marcus Washington...maybe greater?

Alright here's another epic paint drawing of a blitz package that I honestly don't see how an offense could move the ball.

As you can see, we're bringing 6 people after the QB. I have 4 defenders; Powers, Angerer, Lefeged, and Rucker, playing a middle zone type coverage. Bethea is covering over the top in case a CB needs help. Basically the way I would have the CBs play is give a nice cushion while watching the QB. If the WR does a quick slant, jump the pass and go for the pick or at least break it up. If he goes vertical, just run with him for a couple seconds and one of those six rushers gets to the QB.

Lefeged I would have doing a similar coverage against the TE. If the tight end stays in to block, he just stays in his zone and watches the QBs eyes hoping for an errant throw or misread of coverage. If the TE releases into the flat, he runs right at him and pops him as soon as he catches the ball. If the TE goes down the field on a seam route, he runs with him for a second til the QB gets sacked.

Angerer has a similar middle zone, but all he has to do is watch the QBs eyes and keep the RB/FB/H-back in check. If they run to the ball between the LG and C, he plugs his gap and stops the RB in his tracks.

Conner disguises his blitz so they aren't prepared for it, and comes on a bit of a delay.

The three Dlinemen clog their gap and try to cause a double team, since obviously the offense isn't expecting such a blitz.

This defensive play, I just don't see how an offense could move the ball, unless they did a screen, which the defense should be able to read right away with the pulling guard or tackle. If they try a play action pass, it's a sack for sure. If they run it, it's a tackle for loss, or at least no gain. If they go mass protect, we're still bringing 6 people and confusion happens or somebody beats their man in a couple seconds to disrupt the QB's throw or cause a sack strip.

So what do you guys think? Am I just a stupid armchair defensive coordinator, or should Irsay have hired me instead of Manuskey?

My thoughts? If the offensive line gives the quarterback any time at all, the soft spot to the defensive right of the high safety is going to be exposed, either for a big gain up the left sideline or if the corner drops into the deep third, an out or in route. Max protect play-action could give up a big play over the top, especially with Conner's delayed blitz. A post by the tight end could go for big yardage, although that would sacrifice some of your protection.

I think it's a good defensive scheme in a blitz situation (3rd and long), although I'd make it a Cover-3 shell and have the corners drop into the deep third. But it's the kind of play you hold on to until late in the game when you need a big stop. If you let the offense see it, it's beatable. So is any defense, really, as long as you get a little bit of protection.

Mario Harvey looks like Ray Lewis on the clip above. He also had an excellent pro day running under 4.5 at 250lbs. With all that Pittsburgh still cut him. With Harvey and the other LBs the Colts recently signed it should be an interesting training camp. Moala played RDE at USC and should adjust well to a 3-4 hybride. Matthews also played DE at Cincinnatti. Pagano talked about not fitting a square peg in a round hole but looks like the Polians drafted square pegs to play in round holes. Hughes looks like a LB drafted to play DE. Moala was a DE drafted to play DT. Matthews was a DE drafted to play DT. I believe Wheeler was an ILB at Georgia Tech and was drafted to play OLB with the Colts. If we debate the new defense knowing the information we know imangine what coach Pagano knows.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I agree about Moala, Anderson and Wheeler and their signifigance in making the transition smoother. I believe they would all do well in the hybrid 3-4 Indy is planning on using as a base defense. I am not sold on Nevis at NT but I have been wrong many times before ;)

I also agree. Nice job and well thought out. All three guys played well, but played in a manner that seems to me to fit a defense like the one we are constructing. Every defense needs guys like Anderson who are solid, but don't break the bank. BTW, where is Tryon? I felt like something was not right as his play seemed to not warrant being cut.

I think that our new staff will get Nevis to a probowl in a couple of years, that is how high I am on him marrying up with the new staff. Him and Angerer both. Imagine Pat unleashed. He has a little Sanders in him, but he thinks solid tackle first.

Send the WRs deep, Have the TE run the flat or even a quick outside slant keep the FB in pass protection (possibly audible to shotgun for more time if blitz is read pre-snap)

Rucker will know he has top help and stay with the TE leaving two deep one on one situations with Bethea vs one and Powers vs another

It depends on the teams personnel at WR and whether or not the qb will be able to read the play before the snap but it's beatable(on the other hand it's easy to beat a defense if you know what they are running), nonetheless it was fun trying to dissect it. lol

My thoughts? If the offensive line gives the quarterback any time at all, the soft spot to the defensive right of the high safety is going to be exposed, either for a big gain up the left sideline or if the corner drops into the deep third, an out or in route. Max protect play-action could give up a big play over the top, especially with Conner's delayed blitz. A post by the tight end could go for big yardage, although that would sacrifice some of your protection.

I think it's a good defensive scheme in a blitz situation (3rd and long), although I'd make it a Cover-3 shell and have the corners drop into the deep third. But it's the kind of play you hold on to until late in the game when you need a big stop. If you let the offense see it, it's beatable. So is any defense, really, as long as you get a little bit of protection.

See the problem is, with max protect they would really only be sending two WRs out, and the FB into the flat. The guys we have in coverage could easily cover those 3 guys. The CB coverage I'm imagining is not exactly a zone or a man coverage, it's kind of a 'hybrid' coverage....if that makes sense. You give him a slight cushion, maybe five yards, and as soon as he reaches your zone, you bump him. I know this is basically a bump and run coverage, but I want the CBs to be able to watch the QB initially off the snap. If he makes a quick decision, they can make a play on the ball, if the WR goes into an actual pass route, he just runs with him. Bethea watches the QB's eyes, and he wouldn't really have to worry about being led away from the intended target, because if the QB has that amount of time, the pass rush isn't doing its job.

I'd say that with the pressure being brought, the QB would really only have time to make one read, even in max protect, and the coverage is kind of confusing. The RB could knock his man off the pass rush and release, but as long as Angerer does his job, he sticks him for a minimal gain. The best way I could think of beating it, would be by having the right WR run a quick out route. Those would be the hardest to cover, but I think with a physical corner on that side of the field, he could knock him off his route and hopefully make a play on the ball.

If the Oline blocks everyone, and sustains their blocks, it could be beaten. I just don't think an oline could sustain blocks for very long against the guys we'd be rushing. Plus it relies a little on the confusion aspect, and the fact that maybe the protection would not be accounting for 6 people coming on the blitz.

I would not use this on 3rd and long though, that's when you bring 1 or 2 more CBs and your best coverage LB on the field, while your best pass rushers just go straight at the QB, you should not have to use such a massive blitz scheme to get off the field on 3rd and long. I'd use this on 1st down to force a bad play for the offense and make 2nd and 3rd down easier. Obviously though, I would not use play all the time. Predictability has been one of our biggest faults as a defense the last few years, and if I'm the DC, I try to mix it up and confuse the offense as much as possible.

Mario Harvey looks like Ray Lewis on the clip above. He also had an excellent pro day running under 4.5 at 250lbs. With all that Pittsburgh still cut him. With Harvey and the other LBs the Colts recently signed it should be an interesting training camp. Moala played RDE at USC and should adjust well to a 3-4 hybride. Matthews also played DE at Cincinnatti. Pagano talked about not fitting a square peg in a round hole but looks like the Polians drafted square pegs to play in round holes. Hughes looks like a LB drafted to play DE. Moala was a DE drafted to play DT. Matthews was a DE drafted to play DT. I believe Wheeler was an ILB at Georgia Tech and was drafted to play OLB with the Colts. If we debate the new defense knowing the information we know imangine what coach Pagano knows.

Philip Wheeler played every linebacker position at Georgia Tech, I want to say WLB his sophomore year, SLB his junior year, and MLB his senior year. I'm not completely sure though but I think he did play all of them.

See the problem is, with max protect they would really only be sending two WRs out, and the FB into the flat. The guys we have in coverage could easily cover those 3 guys. The CB coverage I'm imagining is not exactly a zone or a man coverage, it's kind of a 'hybrid' coverage....if that makes sense. You give him a slight cushion, maybe five yards, and as soon as he reaches your zone, you bump him. I know this is basically a bump and run coverage, but I want the CBs to be able to watch the QB initially off the snap. If he makes a quick decision, they can make a play on the ball, if the WR goes into an actual pass route, he just runs with him.

The quarterback wants single coverage over the top. If you freeze the safety for a split second, you'll get single coverage on the outside. One read, deep shot, see what happens.

I've seen 3-4 defenses very succesful at the beginning but in decline the next year. One example that comes to mind is the Packers. They sucked this year in Dom Capers system. I am curious to see how good the Texans defense is going to be next year.

Maybe this defense will not decline since it will not just be a 3-4 but a hybride. Defenses have to adjust and so no one plays the same defense the whole game. Pagano improved Baltimore's defense last year and it was already one of the best. In basketball a team usually rotates 8 or 9 guys to keep everybody fresh. A hybride defense will probably rotate 18-20 players in and out to create mismatches. Most offenses will have to spend a lot of time focussing in on all of the different sets and the different players tendencies.

Maybe this defense will not decline since it will not just be a 3-4 but a hybride. Defenses have to adjust and so no one plays the same defense the whole game. Pagano improved Baltimore's defense last year and it was already one of the best. In basketball a team usually rotates 8 or 9 guys to keep everybody fresh. A hybride defense will probably rotate 18-20 players in and out to create mismatches. Most offenses will have to spend a lot of time focussing in on all of the different sets and the different players tendencies.

Agreed. The Packers decline I would say had more to do with lack of good players, and the fact that, even though they run a 3-4, they do it very predictably. They lost Nick Collins for the year, Cullen Jenkins left in free agency, BJ Raji is overrated, Clay Matthews is their only good pass rusher, and the CBs aren't all that with the exception of a 70 year old Charles Woodson. If we went to a traditional 3-4, it would not be good on the players. That requires a lot more girth on the line than we have. But a 1-gap penetration, aggessive 3-4.....sounds like a good plan. Mix up the blitzes and coverage schemes, and I could see this defense being very successful for a long while.

Moala first played DT though. His sophmore year is when Pete Carroll moved him to RDE and he didn't play as well. That's why Polian put him in at DT. as for the other players i'm not sure about, but i remember reading about Moala.

Moala first played DT though. His sophmore year is when Pete Carroll moved him to RDE and he didn't play as well. That's why Polian put him in at DT. as for the other players i'm not sure about, but i remember reading about Moala.

He didn't play 4-3 DE, though.He played 3-4 DE and had less production, but that's what happens to many 3-4 DEs. Doesn't mean they aren't effective, as they can often have different assignments than they did in a 4-3. He was moved because Carroll wanted to get Kaluka Maiava, Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, and Clay Matthews on the field at once. It had nothing to do with better or worse position for him. He also wasn't "moved" in the NFL, as his 4-3 position was always inside. That was his Senior year, as well.

That's the only time he played DE. Kyle Moore and Lawrence Jackson started Moala's sophomore year, if I recall.

He didn't play 4-3 DE, though.He played 3-4 DE and had less production, but that's what happens to many 3-4 DEs. Doesn't mean they aren't effective, as they can often have different assignments than they did in a 4-3. He was moved because Carroll wanted to get Kaluka Maiava, Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, and Clay Matthews on the field at once. It had nothing to do with better or worse position for him. He also wasn't "moved" in the NFL, as his 4-3 position was always inside.

Here's what Walterfootball.com said about him before the draft:

Player Comparison: Igor Olshansky.
Can't play three-technique, but can be an adequate nose tackle in the 4-3; best fit is at five-technique in the 3-4 where he can plug the run going against offense tackles using his size to his advantage.

He really isn't a three-tech, and that's all we've tried to make him be. He played nose in college, and even played some five-tech. I could see him being more effective at 3-4 end, especially in a 1-gap.

Here's what Walterfootball.com said about him before the draft:

Player Comparison: Igor Olshansky.
Can't play three-technique, but can be an adequate nose tackle in the 4-3; best fit is at five-technique in the 3-4 where he can plug the run going against offense tackles using his size to his advantage.

He really isn't a three-tech, and that's all we've tried to make him be. He played nose in college, and even played some five-tech. I could see him being more effective at 3-4 end, especially in a 1-gap.

No, he didn't. Sedrick Ellis started for three years at nose, a position Moala only played when Ellis was out.

I agree that he is best fit at 3-4 DE, though I think he's a worse prospect in a 1-gap than a Parcells 3-4.

Moala sucks, he cant penetrate nor handle one on one matchups how can he handle double teams?

Moala is okay. People are going to the extremes with him. He played decently well last year, but he probably won't all of a sudden become a beast 3-4 DE like some people seem to think.