Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Insists Its Not His Decision

oldunclemark

Nothing new...

Its just where he puts the emphasis.

...so exactly what are we waiting for?

Peyton Manning could return to the Indianapolis Colts

Jim Irsay Indianapolis Colts’ owner plans to meet with quarterback Peyton Manning in the week after next but is leaving the door open for Manning to stay with the Colts.

“We desire this to be his action,” Irsay said. “We wish him back if he wants to come back. We can work out the agreement if he would like to work it out. It may be Peyton’s call.”

The Colts owe the 35-year-old Manning a $28 million incentive pay by March 8 which will activate the final 4 years of his contract. However, there are issues over Manning’s readiness to play in the NFL again. Manning has undergone 3 neck surgeries and is still trying to regenerate the nerve in his neck and get back strength in his right triceps muscle and throwing arm.

If the Colts decline to pay Manning his bonus, he becomes a unrestricted free agent.

“It’s a two-pronged thing,” Irsay claimed. “The first is if and when the nerve regenerates and whether it permits him to play at a high level. But I mostly desire Peyton to grasp the risk-rewards concerning playing. We wish to make sure he recognizes the long-term aspects of his health in making an attempt to play.”

The 4-time league MVP missed the entire 2011 season after having his 3rd neck surgery in nineteen months, a mix of 2 vertebrae. His doctors have medically cleared him to pick up his career and Manning has been throwing and working out at Duke University. Manning has asserted he is regaining strength, but Irsay said recently that Manning has not yet passed the team’s physical.

Irsay has set up an atmosphere in which Manning could return. Former Colts quarterback coach Bruce Arians, who was liked by Manning during Arians’ time in Indianapolis, was employed by new head coach Chuck Pagano as offensive coordinator. Also, Pagano kept quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen, who also has a good relationship with Manning.

If Manning wants to stay, Irsay asserted they could get a financial way to get it to work. “We can accommodate the deal if he wants to come back,” Irsay said. “We want him to make the call. He’s earned that. We need him to have the likelihood of finishing his career here if that’s what he would like to do.”

Manning knows the Colts method to draft a quarterback with the 1st pick in the draft, either Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III, and sources expounded that he is open to an incentive-laden agreement in which he might be paid no guaranteed money up front and he’d have to earn every cent he makes precisely thru performance.

Irsay said that he would strongly consider such a contract if Manning wants to remain.

“It’s going to be Peyton’s decision,” Irsay announced.

Manning has broken all of Indianapolis’ career records for quarterbacks and had never missed a start before last season. He’s taken the Colts to the playoffs 11 times, caught 7 AFC South titles in 8 years, won 2 AFC championships, 1 Super Bowl title and a superb Bowl MVP Award.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick reminder of the board rules here:

All postings should obey copyright laws. If a member cites articles or information from other sources or areas of the Internet, a URL should be posted with no more than a small portion of the article's text. Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information. Legally, the article copied from a website belongs to that particular website and pasting the full text in a posting is an infringement of copyright laws.

http://forums.colts....tion=boardrules

Just a quick reminder of the board rules here:

All postings should obey copyright laws. If a member cites articles or information from other sources or areas of the Internet, a URL should be posted with no more than a small portion of the article's text. Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information. Legally, the article copied from a website belongs to that particular website and pasting the full text in a posting is an infringement of copyright laws.

http://forums.colts....tion=boardrules

Sorry, CS

This is from something called 'Low Vig'

..which I believe a betting web site...

I just came across it looking for any Colts-Manning news...

no author was listed

how can anybody argue that Irsay just does not want Colts Nation thinking that he released Peyton.

He knows that by putting the ball in Mannings court, "restructure and you can stay" then it falsely makes it seem like Manning is making the choice when he isn't really given a real choice.

Smart move by Irsay, because he knows that fans will taunt him forever by releasing Manning, especially if he does continue to play somewhere else.

This is no different than being mean to your girlfriend so she decides to break up with you.

It could be a layered statement, designed to deflect some of the heat should Peyton leave.

In all honesty, I feel as though very little has changed from "Plan A" and we will see Manning here if he can play. Much to the dismay of so many here...

Yep, probably about 2 posters on here who will be unhappy with that scenario..........you still can't work out what people want to happen v what they think will happen........

This:

It’s a two-pronged thing,” Irsay claimed. “The first is if and when the nerve regenerates and whether it permits him to play at a high level. But I mostly desire Peyton to grasp the risk-rewards concerning playing. We wish to make sure he recognizes the long-term aspects of his health in making an attempt to play.”

Gives credence to a report I heard on the radio that Irsay is genuinely concerned about Manning's long term future and wants him to retire. Obviously from a PR standpoint, that's Irsay's best option but I do believe it's more than just that. Might be wrong, but that's my read of the situation.

This:

It’s a two-pronged thing,” Irsay claimed. “The first is if and when the nerve regenerates and whether it permits him to play at a high level. But I mostly desire Peyton to grasp the risk-rewards concerning playing. We wish to make sure he recognizes the long-term aspects of his health in making an attempt to play.”

Gives credence to a report I heard on the radio that Irsay is genuinely concerned about Manning's long term future and wants him to retire. Obviously from a PR standpoint, that's Irsay's best option but I do believe it's more than just that. Might be wrong, but that's my read of the situation.

I read it and have read it the same way for quite some time now...you are not alone ;)

Haven't heard a peep from Manning in quite some time.

I was referring more to the people who continually start threads that say the same things we've heard a million times over. As was said in an earlier post this statement was made around Valentine's Day but now almost 2 weeks later we get to rehash it again.

I was referring more to the people who continually start threads that say the same things we've heard a million times over. As was said in an earlier post this statement was made around Valentine's Day but now almost 2 weeks later we get to rehash it again.

In the absence of real news, what else are they going to do but fret?

This:

Of course Irsay wants Manning to retire. Its the only way this ends well for all parties. No one can get upset.

I am so disappointed in Mr. Irsay. He may not be the man I thought he was. Can't believe that he could let a man go that he calls "family", a man that put the COLTS on the board as a excellent football team. One year without him and he is just thrown away! Can't believe it! I will be not be able to be a fan of the Colts team if Peyton goes. I don't think Irsay is really putting his priorities in the right place. Kicking a man when he is down is not what I thought Jim Irsay was all about. Peyton put "football" in Indy, now that he has had a problem with is neck this year he may be thrown out, not held high. He always tried to pull a win out no matter what he gave his all. This man does not deserve the treatment he is getting from Mr. Irsay. What a disappointment! Whatever team Peyton ends up playing for is the one I will be rooting for. So sad it may not be here!

Hasn't the ball always been in Peyton's court? Irsay said he is welcome back on a restructured deal. Now, it's up to Peyton whether he wants to be back in Indy on a restructured deal or if he wants to try free agency.

I think the issue is people don't believe Irsay. I think most people believe (rightfully or not) that he is cutting Peyton regardless if he would take a pay cut. Also because a few weeks before he said money wasn't a factor and now it is. Irsay just keeps contradicting himself and I think no one believes what he is saying. Whatever he decides it is his money his team and he can decide. Just don't jack around fans too much or he will lose a great part of his fan base who are loyal to Peyton. Remember...many many indiana fans had no care for football before Peyton and many would likely go back to not caring again if this thing goes bad. Personally...I don't think he will bring Peyton back no matter what....regardless if he asks for less money. That is the issue. Irsay is acting like it will be Peytons fault and I don't think that will be the case. I think Peyton obviously wants to come back but we will see what Irsay does.