Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin

chad72

Just now, IndyNismoZ said:

lol. If you are going to come be apart of the Colts forums as a Titans fan by all means contribute, ask questions, compare, and healthy debate.

Do NOT come here as a new member of a division rival to troll and stir the pot. If you love McDaniels so much you are a fan of the wrong team my friend. Just throwing that out there

2 hours ago, tvturner said:

Melvin is gonna make 8M+

Maybe but he will lose years or guaranteed money ... 8+ is putting him in the top 20 CBs salary (per year) ... I like him but 8+ is starting to get a little high unless it is an extremely team friendly contract.

5 hours ago, masnerj said:

Offer the man a 4 year, 32 million contract but make the first two years guaranteed and the rest essentially a team-option. That way, man gets paid and there is a potential for him to stick around for 4 years and the team gets flexibility after a couple of years.

Anything more would be too much.

I’m glad you’re not negotiating the deal. Guaranteed 16 million? No thanks. 

34 minutes ago, esmort said:

Maybe but he will lose years or guaranteed money ... 8+ is putting him in the top 20 CBs salary (per year) ... I like him but 8+ is starting to get a little high unless it is an extremely team friendly contract.

It's not high at all

If Joe Haden is making 9M a year for average play, Melvin will match that

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are not many quality cornerbacks on the FA market this year.    

I think we're looking at least 7-8 mill per,  and maybe more.   The Law of Supply and Demand might push him up higher.

I hope it doesn't reach 10 mill per.   I'd be happy if we signed him to 4/36.    9 mill per.

For those who don't want to go that high, ask yourself this....   who will we get to replace Melvin?    Who in FA?    Who and how in the draft?    It's easier said than done.    Guys get paid this time of year.    Melvin is going to get paid.   At his age, this is it!    I hope we pay him.   I want him on the Colts, and not with another team.

Hard to peg this one but I think you have him a little on the high side. 

I cant see him getting 8+. He's good. I always liked him on our team. Age and production say about 7 per and 3 years is fair. If the market will pay more then that is another teams loss. I've never viewed him as shut down, or even a CB that teams avoid. He plays well.

This season opposing QB s had rating of 60.3 when targeting him as per Pro Football Focus.

That's good for 9th best in the league this year.

He tied for team lead with 3 Ints but they are the only ones in his Career

The top ten CB salaries: https://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

Total              AV per yr    Ttl Gaur        Avg GT per %gaur

Trumaine Johnson  Rams $16,742,400 $16,742,400 $16,742,400 $16,742,400 100.0% 2018 UFA
Josh Norman Redskins $75,000,000 $15,000,000 $36,500,000 $7,300,000 48.7% 2021 UFA
Xavier Rhodes Vikings $70,100,000 $14,020,000 $20,026,000 $4,005,200 28.6% 2023 UFA
Patrick Peterson Cardinals $70,050,000 $14,010,000 $16,250,000 $3,250,000 23.2% 2021 UFA
Richard Sherman Seahawks $56,000,000 $14,000,000 $12,431,000 $3,107,750 22.2% 2019 UFA
Desmond Trufant Falcons $68,750,000 $13,750,000 $20,776,000 $4,155,200 30.2% 2023 UFA
A.J. Bouye Jaguars $67,500,000 $13,500,000 $26,000,000 $5,200,000 38.5% 2022 UFA
Stephon Gilmore Patriots $65,000,000 $13,000,000 $31,000,000 $6,200,000 47.7% 2022 UFA
Janoris Jenkins Giants $62,500,000 $12,500,000 $28,800,000 $5,760,000 46.1% 2021 UFA
Darius Slay Lions $48,000,000 $12,000,000 $23,100,000 $5,775,000 48.1% 2021 UFA

I'll note that Chris Harris JR makes 8.5 a year. As much as I like Rashaan Melvin I hope we don't pay him more than 8.5 a year. He's solid and we'd miss him but overpaying a man with one year of proven top teir production is so risky. His age is interesting because I feel like he could have more years or this could have been his season.

38 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Hard to peg this one but I think you have him a little on the high side. 

Its entirely possible I have him too high..  I hope you're right.   I'd be thrilled if we get him for less than I anticipate...

Rosehaus represents TYH so we've dealt with him before.    The question is this.....

Will Melvin want every last dollar he can get?    Or does he want the very best deal he can get from Indy,  and if it's close enough to his asking price then he will stay....     I'm hoping..

13 minutes ago, tvturner said:

It's not high at all

If Joe Haden is making 9M a year for average play, Melvin will match that

Joe Haden had a much better resume ... and his contract is a prove it deal only the $5.75 mil signing bonus was guaranteed; look at the contract it was made so they could cut him after one season.  That's why intentionally didn't include him. I am sure Melvin can get a deal like that, the Colts would probably give him that ... but I doubt he wants that.

Chris Harris is only making 8.5/yr if you only want to look at it on a per year basis .. and Melvin isn't in that category.

Like I said, he might get 8+ a year, but he will be trading length and/or guaranteed money for it.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Its entirely possible I have him too high..  I hope you're right.   I'd be thrilled if we get him for less than I anticipate...

Rosehaus represents TYH so we've dealt with him before.    The question is this.....

Will Melvin want every lady dollar he can get?    Or does he want the very best deal he can get from Indy,  and if it's close enough to his asking price then he will stay....     I'm hoping..

You really think someone is going to give him the same type contract Logan Ryan signed just this past off season (3/30) ... If so I hope it isn't the Colts ... I don't think he has shown that kind of production (or age).

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

You really think someone is going to give him the same type contract Logan Ryan signed just this past off season (3/30) ... If so I hope it isn't the Colts ... I don't think he has shown that kind of production (or age).

Melvin graded out very highly..   and he's got a unique skill set being 6'2"..   and he's very competitive...   since I don't think this is a great class of FA corners, I worry that the Law of Supply and Demand will push his price up.   It only takes one team to distort the market.  

FA can get crazy.   We're now living in a world where the top guards are commanding Left Tackle money!  10-12 million per year for 4-5 years.   To me, that's insane.    But that's where we are.  If we want Norwell-- and I do -- then we're looking at 5/60 with roughly 25m guaranteed.   Crazy money.   But I hope we pay it.   And if Melvin signs with someone for 3/30 and it's not the Colts, I confess I'll be disappointed.   He's our best corner.   I don't see how we are better if we let him walk out the door....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Melvin graded out very highly..   and he's got a unique skill set being 6'2"..   and he's very competitive...   since I don't think this is a great class of FA corners, I worry that the Law of Supply and Demand will push his price up.   It only takes one team to distort the market.  

FA can get crazy.   We're now living in a world where the top guards are commanding Left Tackle money!  10-12 million per year for 4-5 years.   To me, that's insane.    But that's where we are.  If we want Norwell-- and I do -- then we're looking at 5/60 with roughly 25m guaranteed.   Crazy money.   But I hope we pay it.   And if Melvin signs with someone for 3/30 and it's not the Colts, I confess I'll be disappointed.   He's our best corner.   I don't see how we are better if we let him walk out the door....

I agree a lot of people get overpaid in FA, and I also agree I would pay would it took to get Norwell (which I agree is at least 5/60 and probably more).  I would love to keep Melvin I just can't see paying that much for a CB that has so little production on his resume at his age. Unless it was structured as a very team friendly 9-10/yr. I would probably have to let him walk if it got that high.

14 minutes ago, esmort said:

I agree a lot of people get overpaid in FA, and I also agree I would pay would it took to get Norwell (which I agree is at least 5/60 and probably more).  I would love to keep Melvin I just can't see paying that much for a CB that has so little production on his resume at his age. Unless it was structured as a very team friendly 9-10/yr. I would probably have to let him walk if it got that high.

Honestly.....

I truly hope you're right and I'm wrong.

I'd always rather be wrong if it means something good for the team.     And keeping Melvin I think is good for the team.   I don't think we're a better team without him.     So, I hope we find a way to keep him.     Seriously.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly.....

I truly hope you're right and I'm wrong.

I'd always rather be wrong if it means something good for the team.     And keeping Melvin I think is good for the team.   I don't think we're a better team without him.     So, I hope we find a way to keep him.     Seriously.

I think it could easily go as high as you say, by no means do I think I can accurately predict FA ... I think we just differ on how much we feel comfortable spending on Melvin. Where are you ranking Melvin in the FA CB market? 

1 hour ago, esmort said:

I think it could easily go as high as you say, by no means do I think I can accurately predict FA ... I think we just differ on how much we feel comfortable spending on Melvin. Where are you ranking Melvin in the FA CB market? 

I rate him highly.    Certainly higher than ESPN has him which is 6th out of the top 9 CB's who are in the top-50.

That's based the following...     2 of the 5 ahead of him,  Breeland and Fuller I believe are zone corners.    And Colvin is a nickle slot guy and we have Hairston.      That leaves Johnson, who is first overall,  and has not performed as well under the tag the last two years and will want a fortune.    The other corner ahead of him is NE's Mitchell Butler,  who I like, but he's sub-6'.    He's 5'10 or 5'11 and I'm personally partial to taller corners, which fits Melvin.

So I value him highly....    I think he's our best corner.     Now,  I don't expect him to remain our top corner.   I think Quincy Wilson will pass him in a year or so.     I think Wilson is really good.    But I like having two top corners,  not one.   And if both are tall -- so much the better!     I'd love to have a pair of Wilson and Melvin,  with Desir the back-up and Hairston in the slot.   When it comes to corners,  I'm greedy.     So, if Ballard can find another sleeper in either FA or the draft,  that's always fine with me.

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Brah you are delusion to think that 16 mill is too high for an above average corner coming out of a top 10 CB performance while playing on a cheap contract and still somewhat young. Man is going to command up to 10 mill/year regardless. The only way to grab him and keep him in Indy is if we add a little guaranteed so he doesn't worry about job security and we get an above-average corner (at worst) for decent money but the upside of a top 5 guy for the next couple of years. That man is motivated, I'm serious. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I rate him highly.    Certainly higher than ESPN has him which is 6th out of the top 9 CB's who are in the top-50.

That's based the following...     2 of the 5 ahead of him,  Breeland and Fuller I believe are zone corners.    And Colvin is a nickle slot guy and we have Hairston.      That leaves Johnson, who is first overall,  and has not performed as well under the tag the last two years and will want a fortune.    The other corner ahead of him is NE's Mitchell Butler,  who I like, but he's sub-6'.    He's 5'10 or 5'11 and I'm personally partial to taller corners, which fits Melvin.

So I value him highly....    I think he's our best corner.     Now,  I don't expect him to remain our top corner.   I think Quincy Wilson will pass him a in a year or so.     I think Wilson is really good.    But I like having two top corners,  not one.   And if both are tall -- so much the better!     I'd love to have a pair of Wilson and Melvin,  with Desir the back-up and Hairston in the slot.   When it comes to corners,  I'm greedy.     So, if Ballard can find another sleeper in either FA or the draft,  that's always fine with me.

I agree. I think keeping Melvin will go a long ways to shore up our improving defense next year. Man can be a staple CB1 for a couple of years at this rate. He is very motivated to prove everyone wrong. Let's pay the man ~8 for three years and let him play. He is going to be cheaper than any other corner out there that is better than him or even close to his skill level. He is more likely to give us a hometown discount, however small it might be. 

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

That's what the market pays....

When a player --- any player --- gets a big FA deal,  it roughly breaks down to 40 to 60 percent guaranteed money.   Sometimes a little less.     Sometimes, a little more.     But corner is a high demand position.     So, at minimum, if a player gets 32 Mill... (8 Mill x 4 years)  then even at 40 percent guaranteed, that's nearly 13 Mill guaranteed.   And that's the low end figure.       I'm giving your the rough numbers.    But these will hold up for the vast majority.    There will be some exceptions to the rule...   but not a lot.

Make no mistake...   the top guys get their money and Melvin is one of the top corners.   

He will get paid.    I personally hope it's by the Colts. 

Melvin only played in 10 games last year.

He only has 3 career interceptions in his 7-year career.

He turns 29 in October.

He's never played a full season as a starter.

He's not worth 10 million a year.

I'm not even sure if he's worth half of that.

He still has a lot to prove before someone hands out that kind of money.

14 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

4-5 mil? Forget that. His agent is Rosenhaus and he's coming off a career year. He's more likely to ask for 8-10 mil. I'd be very hesitant to hand him that contract. If he asks for that(or more), let him walk.

Easily. I think it's more likely 10 than below. This is the market value now, veterans well over 30, like Pacman Jones, DRC are getting 7-8 mill per's. Younger guys are above that, especially, if they played as well as Melvin did in the last 1.5 season. If he was 2 years younges, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a Bouye / Gilmore like deal. (Bouye got his after 1 real good season. Gilmore didn't really have any).

I think he is a must keep, unless we are going for someone else in FA. But that would be same kinda cash. I'm talking about a 10 per, maybe a bit more, whether it's Melvin or another free agent CB. Ballard has a lot of money to spend this spring. Even if he'll bring in a couple of top free agents like Norwell (guard), Landry (WR), there'll still remain a lot of money to spend. Unless there's someone like Demarcus Lawrence available, the most logical position to spend the money on is CB. (ILB, RB won't cost much, etc.)

9 minutes ago, KING. said:

Melvin only played in 10 games last year.

He only has 3 career interceptions in his 7-year career.

He turns 29 in October.

He's never played a full season as a starter.

He's not worth 10 million a year.

He's been playing well ever since he arrived in Indy. He's been good in 2016 (he was practically our #1 corner, not Davis), and he was elite in 2017, according to pff, and frankly, every analysts.

The only reason he's not looking for a Bouye, Gilmore money now, is his age. But at 28, he still has market value, higher than veterans like Pacman Jones or DRC etc, who worth 6-7 nowadays. The CB market is that high nowadays. Just 2 years ago, you could find a solid guy for 5 mills in free agency, that's not the case any more. We have to pay the market value for a free agent, whoever he is. If we won't pay Melvin, we will have to pay someone else. If he is as good as Melvin, he will demand similar money. More, if he's younger. 

4 hours ago, masnerj said:

Brah you are delusion to think that 16 mill is too high for an above average corner coming out of a top 10 CB performance while playing on a cheap contract and still somewhat young. Man is going to command up to 10 mill/year regardless. The only way to grab him and keep him in Indy is if we add a little guaranteed so he doesn't worry about job security and we get an above-average corner (at worst) for decent money but the upside of a top 5 guy for the next couple of years. That man is motivated, I'm serious. 

Here is the deal, if the guaranteed is 16+, you get to come back and reference this post and say ha, told you so. I don’t think he sees a 16 million dollars guarantee. It’s the great thing about opinions, one of us should be correct. If the team feels that’s the price point, I’ll not care one way or the other as long as we keep the right players and get better overall. I can accept being right or wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I don't believe Melvin will get re-signed with colts based on age alone. Melvin is almost 30 I think, no chance he gets a deal here. look for the Colts to go after Breshaud Breeland

29 and a 3 yr deal won’t be a deal breaker to CB at all. CB got to see this kid everyday in practice and games and in the locker room so he knows all you can about a guy and how he fits your team. Now, if his arrogant agent demands a 5 yr deal, then you really have to look at the deal and do you think he breaks down at age 33 rendering him a wasted high salary the last 2 yrs of the deal? Do you agree and backload it and say you keep playing well, we will keep paying you top money but if you fall off the age ledge, we will make it so the contract can be dropped in year 3 and beyond because you have under produced? Of course if we don’t add any better pass rush, will it really matter who is at the cb spot? 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Will Melvin want every last dollar he can get?    Or does he want the very best deal he can get from Indy,  and if it's close enough to his asking price then he will stay....     I'm hoping..

The guaranteed money is the real issue. You can give him 4 years at 40 million with the last 2 years paying him 12 mill + . ... if you can just cut him after year 2 with little cap hit , what was the contact worth in reality ? So really when we talk in terms of "per year" we are not talking about that he's really going to receive.

But I too would like to see him resigned and I think the "good body of work" might have been too short for him to cash in big. We shall see and I do think this is a FA year where the cap room is abundant and the talent is thin. But somehow teams do seem to keep it from getting insane ?

6 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Easily. I think it's more likely 10 than below. This is the market value now, veterans well over 30, like Pacman Jones, DRC are getting 7-8 mill per's. Younger guys are above that, especially, if they played as well as Melvin did in the last 1.5 season. If he was 2 years younges, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a Bouye / Gilmore like deal. (Bouye got his after 1 real good season. Gilmore didn't really have any).

I think he is a must keep, unless we are going for someone else in FA. But that would be same kinda cash. I'm talking about a 10 per, maybe a bit more, whether it's Melvin or another free agent CB. Ballard has a lot of money to spend this spring. Even if he'll bring in a couple of top free agents like Norwell (guard), Landry (WR), there'll still remain a lot of money to spend. Unless there's someone like Demarcus Lawrence available, the most logical position to spend the money on is CB. (ILB, RB won't cost much, etc.)

I will guess 3 years $30M.   1st year guaranteed.  A 2019 league year roster bonus of 2-3M.   
 He won't be here by the time we are SB contenders.