Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Improved Draft And Free Agency For Colts

Free Agency...

-Indy signs SS Tom Zbikowski and OG Ben Grubbs

-Indy resigns Mathis, Garcon, Pollak, and Wheeler to multi-year deals that are reasonable

-Indy cuts Addai, Bullitt

-Indy gets Brackett to take pay cut to remain strictly as a coverage LB

(This is best case scenario for me regarding the Colts. They avoid using the franchise tag, and are able to bring back needed guys under reasonable contracts. We also get potential starters in Grubbs and Zbikowski brought in from the Ravens. And we free up cap space by cutting guys that really arent needed.)

2012 NFL Draft...

Trades...

-Indy deals Dwight Freeney to Atlanta for 2012/2013 2nd round picks.

(I believe it to be very smart to trade aging veterans while they still have good value. Freeney should be able to bring in around this and these draft picks will allow us to infuse this team with young talent.)

-Indy deals Dallas Clark to NY Giants for their 2012 3rd round pick.

(NY needs a quality veteran TE and the age is not an issue for them since they are contenders for the Superbowl right now. Clark has already worked with one Manning. Working with the other could be very beneficial for both.)

1st round- QB Andrew Luck (We all know this will be the pick. He is the best QB prospect and I dont think its even as close as some people are suggesting with RG3. RG3 kinda screams a smarter Vick to me, while Luck seems to be an athletic version of Peyton. I'd rather go with the latter.)

2nd round- DE/OLB Chandler Jones (I really like this guy and he could really rise up draft boards. He once was a 3rd or 4th round prospect but I would be fine with taking him at the top of round 2. He reminds me of Aldon Smith from San Fran. He is so athletic and football is in his blood. He could be a starter day 1 and we now have plenty of pass rushers with Jones, Mathis, Hughes, and Wheeler.)

2nd round(via Atl trade)- DT/NT Brandon Thompson (I like this guy better than Ta'amu at this point. When I watch video of Thompson, I see a guy that can take on 2 blockers for us. He also has a quick first step and with some added weight, could be a poor man's Vince Wilfork. He can also play both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts.)

3rd round- TE Coby Fleener (We may have to trade back into the 2nd to get this guy, but I think it could be instrumental to bring this guy in to make Luck's transition to the NFL even more successful. Luck would be exstatic to have a familiar target, and the Colts could really use a big 6-6 target with speed. Could be the next great TE in the NFL.)

3rd round (via NY trade)- WR/KR Joe Adams (He may fall a little due to the great WR class and the fact that kick returners arent as valuable now with the rule change on kickoffs. He would the explosive player at the WR position we need and could be great on screens and plays designed to get him in space.)

4th round- CB/KR Jayron Hosley (Hosley, like Adams, falls a bit due to his size and great CB class this year. He could be coached up by Pagano to be a very good CB for us.)

4th round(comp pick)- C David Molk (We need another C in case Pollak doesnt work out there.)

5th round- SS Tavon Wilson (Has ties to our secondary coach and could be groomed to be a starter down the line.)

Rest of draft - BPA

Would be a great draft but I don't see Hosley falling to the 4th. Substitute him with Casey Hayward and were fine. Also I'm feeling better about my prediction earlier in the season about Brandon Thompson getting some buzz from our board. Really would like to see him work with our pass rush

I would absolutely love this, but I don't see Fleener lasting that long (I bet he's the first TE off the board) and I doubt we would get that much for Freeney and Clark. Plus, no one would trade for Freeney with his one year 19 mill contract.

His contract is not an issue for trading him. He has a contract that is easily extendable and thats exactly what the Colts plan on doing IF they keep him. So the future team could agree with Freeney on an extension before making the deal so they wouldnt be on the hook for a 19 million dollar cap hit.

His contract is not an issue for trading him. He has a contract that is easily extendable and thats exactly what the Colts plan on doing IF they keep him. So the future team could agree with Freeney on an extension before making the deal so they wouldnt be on the hook for a 19 million dollar cap hit.

The other team would only be on the hook for 14 of the 19 million. We would eat the other 5 million in dead cap space, and 2 #2's would be awfully high for that.

Other moves you have listed would also cause quite a bit of dead cap space too.