Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Is Getting Healthier

BmoreColt

How will they feel if he's tearing up the league for the Colts? Just curious. I mean most "positive" takes on him insist he'll be somewhere else. If he's ready to tear it up, keeping in mind that "tear it up" tagged to Peyton Manning is more than any other QB is going to be capable of, why are we the only team that won't be able to reach a deal with him after March 8? If you can have him, and he's "tearing it up," he's better than Luck for darned sure, and at least worth $10 million per year more than any QB starting in the league.

I agree, I don't want him gone, all my mocks should verify that, that I was always for trade the pick, at this point now, I'm doing cap mocks to fit the best team around Manning with Luck as the backup. I don't think anyone is on Manning's level when he's on a mission, and Luck isn't a tenth of a healthy Manning.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I don't want him gone, all my mocks should verify that, that I was always for trade the pick, at this point now, I'm doing cap mocks to fit the best team around Manning with Luck as the backup. I don't think anyone is on Manning's level when he's on a mission, and Luck isn't a tenth of a healthy Manning.

That's the best case scenario B-More...

..and one that isnt discussed...

What if Manning comes back stronger than he was in 2010.....with an urgency to erase the 2-14 that he was forced to watch??

I don't know. My feeling is that he wants to move on from Manning but wants Manning to be the one to announce it.

I think this is spot on. Maybe a pipe dream on the part of Irsay, but I honestly think the Colts want to get started on the Luck era as soon as possible. The one year deal for Manning that has been thrown around here - why would Manning want to do that?

I think this is spot on. Maybe a pipe dream on the part of Irsay, but I honestly think the Colts want to get started on the Luck era as soon as possible. The one year deal for Manning that has been thrown around here - why would Manning want to do that?

I certainly hope Irsay didn't present Manning with that as a suggestion because you simply do not insult people of that ilk like that.

I think that's what we're talking about 'J'...

...a one-deal deal with an option.. he has to prove he's healthy....

that's all he's going to get anywhere.....Its no insult....He missed an entire season...

OK, so let me get this straight... In countless interviews JIm Irsay has said that if Manning is healthy he wants him back... or if Manning wants to come back as a Colt then he can come back.... But yet despite this everyone thinks that he DOESN'T want Manning to come back.... Soooooooooo.... What you're saying is that we take the OPPOSITE of what Irsay says and THAT is what he means....

Oi Vey!

I saw Unitas after his prime but Bert was incredible! No Offensive line and injuries derailed his career....darn shame as the man was the best QB I ever saw.

I'm a little older than you, cause I remember Unitas in his prime. With that said; Bert Jones is still my favorite Colt of all time! The greatest arm , EVER!!!

OK, so let me get this straight... In countless interviews JIm Irsay has said that if Manning is healthy he wants him back... or if Manning wants to come back as a Colt then he can come back.... But yet despite this everyone thinks that he DOESN'T want Manning to come back.... Soooooooooo.... What you're saying is that we take the OPPOSITE of what Irsay says and THAT is what he means....

Oi Vey!

He always says that he wants Manning back if he's healthy, but always makes it clear that he doesn't think he is healthy. He said over and over that he could afford Manning and Luck and it wasn't about money. Now, he says it's contingent on money.

That is clear.

He'd prefer Manning to retire whether healthy or not. Of course he wants Manning to come off as the bad guy.

I see this frequently on this forum, but I'm not sure I come to that same conclusion. I haven't seen anything malicious or conniving in any of the communications or actions from either party, and wonder if some people are letting their own desires for a particular outcome color the way they interpret the limited info. Even if there is some kind of malicious intent, I haven't seen evidence to suggest it is a given.

I'm a little older than you, cause I remember Unitas in his prime. With that said; Bert Jones is still my favorite Colt of all time! The greatest arm , EVER!!!

I was old enough to see Unitas play and also in the Superstars competition late in his career. Unitas is my favorite of all time.

I met Roger Carr when he came to my church in Jackson, MS back in the 80's. He was one BIG receiver but a really nice guy who was trying to make a difference in the world.

I see this frequently on this forum, but I'm not sure I come to that same conclusion. I haven't seen anything malicious or conniving in any of the communications or actions from either party, and wonder if some people are letting their own desires for a particular outcome color the way they interpret the limited info. Even if there is some kind of malicious intent, I haven't seen evidence to suggest it is a given.

I guess it's like poetry.. everyone can read it and come to their own conclusions about what it means. My interpretation of the past month is exactly that. Irsay is drafting Luck, moving on from Manning, would prefer him to retire, and if he doesn't wants it to look like it's Manning's decision to leave as opposed to Irsay being the one that makes the decision.

I find it hard not to read between the lines and come to that conclusion.

He always says that he wants Manning back if he's healthy, but always makes it clear that he doesn't think he is healthy. He said over and over that he could afford Manning and Luck and it wasn't about money. Now, he says it's contingent on money.

I certainly don't know for sure, but this may just be a misunderstanding of what Irsay has been saying. The way I've understood it, Irsay wouldn't have a problem paying Manning handsomely (and did so last year to the tune of 26M), but the league still imposes a salary cap and he has to balance Manning's costs with the long term good of the team. When he says it isn't about the money, I feel he means the value he places on Manning is very high, and if he had nothing to keep him from paying a king's ransom, he absolutely would. I don't doubt his sincerity.

Oi Vey!

Just my 2 cents.... I speak in the mindset of probably a Lot of Fans, and I'm sure Irsay knows there is lots of fans like me...I never watched a Colts game before Manning hit the team... I followed Manning at UT, and continued watching him in Indy... I have one tie to Indy, and that is Manning.... If Irsay just came out and said, hey the old Man is done we have this young stud we are going to just wish Manning best wishes so we can give Luck the start he desirves... Do you think that would be a good PR move by him... I mean I personally am having a HUGE internal battle to want to stay a Colts fan if Manning is released, I seriously doubt I will be, but if Irsay didn't play his little PR games my battle would be easy I would just burn all my Indy stuff, and restock in whatever team he goes to.

Just my 2 cents.... I speak in the mindset of probably a Lot of Fans, and I'm sure Irsay knows there is lots of fans like me...I never watched a Colts game before Manning hit the team... I followed Manning at UT, and continued watching him in Indy... I have one tie to Indy, and that is Manning.... If Irsay just came out and said, hey the old Man is done we have this young stud we are going to just wish Manning best wishes so we can give Luck the start he desirves... Do you think that would be a good PR move by him... I mean I personally am having a HUGE internal battle to want to stay a Colts fan if Manning is released, I seriously doubt I will be, but if Irsay didn't play his little PR games my battle would be easy I would just burn all my Indy stuff, and restock in whatever team he goes to.

I'll lend you a match if you need one........

So Manning has not been on a mission in the Play-offs, or in the 2009 Super Bowl?. I admire Peyton as much as the next guy, but you'd think he was infalable.

So Manning has not been on a mission in the Play-offs, or in the 2009 Super Bowl?. I admire Peyton as much as the next guy, but you'd think he was infalable.

LOL, Why you hate Manning so much? Was it Manning's fault his special teams let him down, was it Manning's fault on D? What it Manning's fault being out coached? Was it Manning's fault for the odd time out in his very last game... Man I really hope Luck is all you feel he is...

LOL, Why you hate Manning so much? Was it Manning's fault his special teams let him down, was it Manning's fault on D? What it Manning's fault being out coached? Was it Manning's fault for the odd time out in his very last game... Man I really hope Luck is all you feel he is...

You really need to stop making things up in your head. It's not healthy.

You really need to stop making things up in your head. It's not healthy.

Not sure what I'm making up... If anything you should be thanking Manning for covering up a 2 win team (still not sure if Colts wasn't given a game to try and not get first pick) god knows without Manning since Caldwell this team would have been a 2 win team more

I think that's what we're talking about 'J'...

...a one-deal deal with an option.. he has to prove he's healthy....

that's all he's going to get anywhere.....Its no insult....He missed an entire season...

Surprise here, but I think you are terribly mistaken if you believe that any team does not offer him more than a one-year contract if he proves he is healthy.

As for the Colts and a one-year deal, why would Manning want to do that?

If he is healthy enough to play, wouldn't he want more than a one year contract from someone? Why would he want to go through this whole scenario again next year?

Not sure what I'm making up... If anything you should be thanking Manning for covering up a 2 win team (still not sure if Colts wasn't given a game to try and not get first pick) god knows without Manning since Caldwell this team would have been a 2 win team more

OK, I'll spell it out.

I do not hate Manning. I think he is a once in generation player. As a sporting icon, he's up there at the very top of my list

I have zero thoughts on Luck, other than he will probably be a Colts player this year. I'll then hope he become a good addition to the team. Until then, and like all rookies, FA's, I'll wait until I see his production for the team, before I comment.

I'm also not a sycophant, and realise he is not $10m (per year) better than other Elite QB's in the league, and that he doesn't always tear it up.

I also realise he is in the twighlight of his career.

So please excuse me for not gushing all over this board as if he is the only QB ever to play great football.......

Surprise here, but I think you are terribly mistaken if you believe that any team does not offer him more than a one-year contract if he proves he is healthy.

If he is healthy enough to play, wouldn't he want more than a one year contract from someone? Why would he want to go through this whole scenario again next year?

Good luck with that one. Some are of the mindset that Manning would like to throw a year away holding the hand of Luck and playing show and tell with the #1 pick.

the question may be ...why would we???

...but the point i think you are missing is that i believe Manning wants to stay in Indy at all costs...

forgetting deep ties to the community...(1/3 of his life here) His team is set up to reach the playoffs here. He still has his posse on offense they just need 'the sheriff' back.....and we can outscofre enough teams to reach the post-season.

We've done it for years...

If Manning goes to Washintgon, they dont make the playoffs.

If he goes to Miami...they dont make the playoffs....

If he goes to Minnesota dont make the playoffs.....

...He takes a one-year deal to stay here because he's confident he can throw for 4000-5000 yards like he always has.

He has no reason not to be super-confident that he can comepete

Good luck with that one. Some are of the mindset that Manning would like to throw a year away holding the hand of Luck and playing show and tell with the #1 pick.

LOL... Yeah that's why I want to see what Irsay "offers" Manning as far as re-working his contract... Irsay is playing his best PR moves to put it on Manning.... If Manning turns it down really want to see what he is turning down... If it's a baby sitting job, I think that should be on Irsay for leaving not Manning.

or MAYBE, and call me crazy here...but just maybe when Peyton said he wants to play his entire career for the Colts, he meant it? and MAYBE he doesnt care about proving anything to any team other than the Colts, because he doesnt plan to go anwhere else to play? I mean if he intends to finish his career here, then there would be absolutely NO reason to prove/show ANYTHING to anyone, except Irsay and the Colts staff.

I understand that both sides say they want each other here, I'm not debating that. Have you ever heard the expression that "Talk Is Cheap" though? I'm not going to take Manning remaining a Colt for granted. I won't breathe a sigh of relief until his name is on another contract and him and Irsay have a press conference announcing that a deal is done. What I do know is that Irsay isn't paying the $28million option due on March 8th thus making Manning a Free Agent. And like it or not it pushes the door wide open for him to go somewhere else. And like I stated whether it's for the Colts or anybody else it's in his best interest to show that he can throw if he can throw. I don't think that makes me Anti-Manning or Anti-Manning with the Colts.

I understand that both sides say they want each other here, I'm not debating that. Have you ever heard the expression that "Talk Is Cheap" though? I'm not going to take Manning remaining a Colt for granted. I won't breathe a sigh of relief until his name is on another contract and him and Irsay have a press conference announcing that a deal is done. What I do know is that Irsay isn't paying the $28million option due on March 8th thus making Manning a Free Agent. And like it or not it pushes the door wide open for him to go somewhere else. And like I stated whether it's for the Colts or anybody else it's in his best interest to show that he can throw if he can throw. I don't think that makes me Anti-Manning or Anti-Manning with the Colts.

there's more options than that...

Irsay doesnt have to pay the $28 mil and he doenst have to make make Manning a free agent...

they can push back the very arbitrary March 8 deadline until next (NFL) year and restructure the contract..

Manning repeatedly says he doesn't want to leave.

Other people keep saying he should want to and I can only refer back to what he said.

Only two reasons I can think of why we haven't heard from Manning, or seen a video of throwing... One, maybe he is not trying to undermind Irsay.... I mean he talked with media, and it turned out bad.... Maybe he is just staying quiet to let Irsay make his decision, if the decision is against Manning being a Colt then I am sure the videos will pour in.... Second reason he isn't ready to show yet... Now I don't think he is noodle arm, or he probably would be looking a lot more towards retirement, but I bet as a perfectionist he is just not happy with his own personal self... Doesn't mean he isn't close just the perfectionist in him isn't wanting to show.

His opinion has nothing to do with 'optimisim', it has to do with perception. I preceive Manning being a colt, getting better, and retiring a colt. Thats my perception, not optimisim. You call yourself a realist, i call it your perception. Your opinion on the matter makes it no more real in your assesment than mine. My perception of what is happening is no less real than yours. In the end, what do any of us know really..

He didn't take exception to being called an eternal optimist so why are you defending him? I wasn't even addressing you or your perceptions. But since you took the time to interject I will respond to you. Manning remaining with the Colts is being optimistic since Irsay isn't paying the option bonus thus making him a Free Agent and opens the door for him to go elsewhere. I know that both sides have said the want the other but until both sides PROVE they want the other you can't always believe what you hear. The realist in me won't breathe a sigh of relief until I see the press conference between Irsay and Manning saying that a new contract is done and he will be staying here. That is something tangible, something of substance and not just words or promises. It's something that is real, something that I can believe in. Understand the difference?

the question may be ...why would we???

...but the point i think you are missing is that i believe Manning wants to stay in Indy at all costs...

forgetting deep ties to the community...(1/3 of his life here) His team is set up to reach the playoffs here. He still has his posse on offense they just need 'the sheriff' back.....and we can outscofre enough teams to reach the post-season.

We've done it for years...

If Manning goes to Washintgon, they dont make the playoffs.

If he goes to Miami...they dont make the playoffs....

If he goes to Minnesota dont make the playoffs.....

...He takes a one-year deal to stay here because he's confident he can throw for 4000-5000 yards like he always has.

He has no reason not to be super-confident that he can comepete

You telling me I am missing any point is solid gold.

Manning most certainly does not want to stay at all costs. That is really not a very good statement at all. His "posse" will be broken up. You are crazy to think otherwise. The players that have given this team its identity are ancient by NFL standards. It is time to say thank you and move on from several of those. Plus that makes the most fiscal sense.

Do you honestly believe that a Manning led Colts team is truly more likely to get to the playoffs over the other teams you mentioned?

OK - say he does throw for 5000 yards next year. Why does he go through the same nonsense next year? He very clearly would not.

I think you are getting your hopes up with some really questionable logic.

Only two reasons I can think of why we haven't heard from Manning, or seen a video of throwing... One, maybe he is not trying to undermind Irsay.... I mean he talked with media, and it turned out bad.... Maybe he is just staying quiet to let Irsay make his decision, if the decision is against Manning being a Colt then I am sure the videos will pour in.... Second reason he isn't ready to show yet... Now I don't think he is noodle arm, or he probably would be looking a lot more towards retirement, but I bet as a perfectionist he is just not happy with his own personal self... Doesn't mean he isn't close just the perfectionist in him isn't wanting to show.

I agree...

Irsay asked him to not speak publically...and he's doing what he's been asked to do.

there's more options than that...

Irsay doesnt have to pay the $28 mil and he doenst have to make make Manning a free agent...

they can push back the very arbitrary March 8 deadline until next (NFL) year and restructure the contract..

Manning repeatedly says he doesn't want to leave.

Other people keep saying he should want to and I can only refer back to what he said.

First of all, I have heard quite the opposite on the march 8th deadline. I keep hearing they can not push the date back due to CBA rules.

Secondly, Of course Manning is saying he wants to stay here. He is the ultimate "say the right thing" guy. IMO, if he actually does want to remain a Colt, it is because he is really scared of change or he has flat out lost his mind. The Colts are in rebuild mode, no matter how many want to be in denial about that, it is absolutely happening. I really think Manning is just saying the right things for the fans and in all reality, he'll want to move on.