Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An except of the Giants DE Avery Moss almost being drafted by the Colts

CF4L

http://nypost.com/2017/10/27/giants-rookie-avery-moss-driven-to-prove-his-critics-wrong/

The moment Avery Moss had envisioned for so many years had arrived. Finally, he would hear his name announced in the 2017 NFL Draft.

“The Colts liked me a lot, and called me before Day 2 of the draft, and gave me this great spiel,” Moss recalled earlier this week. “They sent me a text of the Super Bowl trophy they won, and said, ‘We think you can help us bring this back, so get ready for your name to be called.’ ”

Instead, the Colts selected Ohio defensive end Tarell Basham in the third round. The second day ended and Moss remained on the board. The third day began and Indianapolis passed on him with three fourth-round picks and two fifth-round picks.

9 hours ago, CF4L said:

Lost some respect for Ballard after reading this. You call him before day 2 and give him false hope of getting drafted there (knowing he has character issues and you have no intention of picking him that high), then you don't even grab him on day 3 when you have 5 picks in the 4th and 5th rounds (where he was supposed to go). You can also add to this that Basham has been a bust so far, and Avery Moss has done more coming off the bench and starting in just two games since Vernon got hurt. So he gave Moss false hope, and also made the wrong decision in picking Basham over him. That's definitely a strike against Ballard in my eyes.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lost some respect for Ballard after reading this. You call him before day 2 and give him false hope of getting drafted there (knowing he has character issues and you have no intention of picking him that high), then you don't even grab him on day 3 when you have 5 picks in the 4th and 5th rounds (where he was supposed to go). You can also add to this that Basham has been a bust so far, and Avery Moss has done more coming off the bench and starting in just two games since Vernon got hurt. So he gave Moss false hope, and also made the wrong decision in picking Basham over him. That's definitely a strike against Ballard in my eyes.

How is basham a bust and he hasn't really played? Lol

This is disappointing.  I mocked Moss to us in the 6th because of some knucklehead off the field stuff while at Nebraska.  A good player who had to transfer to a smaller school because of immaturity.

To have Ballard see the talent then pass on him for someone like OT Banner when Moss was still available is really disappointing.

5 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

How is basham a bust and he hasn't really played? Lol

Exactly, he hasn't played. He's a 3rd round pick on a team with no pass rush and he can't even see the field. Then the few times he does, he's completely ineffective. He's looking like a bust so far. Probably our worst draft pick besides Banner, who didn't get a proper chance.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

This is disappointing.  I mocked Moss to us in the 6th because of some knucklehead off the field stuff while at Nebraska.  A good player who had to transfer to a smaller school because of immaturity.

To have Ballard see the talent then pass on him for someone like OT Banner when Moss was still available is really disappointing.

Its quite possible Ballard thought the offensive line was a bigger need(as many pointed out for the longest time around these parts) that being said it does seem odd to call the guy and then not even bother considering him in later drafts. Maybe the red flags scared him off this is Indy they aren't that tolerant about that sort of thing compared to KC

1 minute ago, CF4L said:

Its quite possible Ballard thought the offensive line was a bigger need(as many pointed out for the longest time around these parts) that being said it does seem odd to call the guy and then not even bother considering him in later drafts. Maybe the red flags scared him off this is Indy they aren't that tolerant about that sort of thing compared to KC

Possibly, but Banner was a poor choice.  Slow moving OTs don't work in the NFL.  And if we need a pass rush, having multiple late round players would seem the way to go, IMO.

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Why would a team blow such smoke up a prospective rookies *#$?

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Because we are a dumpster fire!!!

How do we know that it wasn't Pagano texting him? Or someone else within the Colts organization? Either way, it's a concerning rumor (players have been known to lie just as much as GMs). Honestly, we'll never know why Ballard passed on him and who ultimately texted and called this kid. 

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

How do we know that it wasn't Pagano texting him? Or someone else within the Colts organization? Either way, it's a concerning rumor (players have been known to lie just as much as GMs). Honestly, we'll never know why Ballard passed on him and who ultimately texted and called this kid. 

There is a pattern here. 

I am hoping the circus leaves with Pagano, but we'll see. 

We can only hope all the clowns jump in Pagano's clown-car on his way out. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Possibly, but Banner was a poor choice.  Slow moving OTs don't work in the NFL.  And if we need a pass rush, having multiple late round players would seem the way to go, IMO.

41 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

↑↑↑↑ Listen up folks! We have someone speaking the Truth here!! ↑↑↑↑

I obviously can't speak for Ballard, but I think off-the-field incidents play a big role in his evaluation.  Ballard seemed to put a big emphasis on guys who don't get into trouble and represent the team well.  Avery had some red flags coming out of college, so there are legit reasons why Ballard didn't draft him.  Still odd with the whole call/text thing, but that story brings up more questions than answers

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I obviously can't speak for Ballard, but I think off-the-field incidents play a big role in his evaluation.  Ballard seemed to put a big emphasis on guys who don't get into trouble and represent the team well.  Avery had some red flags coming out of college, so there are legit reasons why Ballard didn't draft him.  Still odd with the whole call/text thing, but that story brings up more questions than answers

If the off the field stuff took him off our board, why give him the time of day let alone say you want to draft him.  His off the field stuff was weird, but about 3 or 4 years old.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree. It is a bit odd. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

It honestly doesn't matter who texted him. Ballard is the GM, and I can guarantee that whether it was him or someone else who did it, they were given the green light by Ballard to do it. He is ultimately in charge of the draft and has the final say. As bad as Pagano is, I don't think he'd go rogue like that. The only other person I'd buy that would do that is Irsay.

I always thought Philbin had something to do with drafting Banner. 

Dont forget, we have 1 guy that wasn't involved in last years draft and that is the ex military guy who's claim is to weed out those not suited for the NFL.  Hopefully he is an extra arrow in the quiver to up our % success rate.

Also, didn't he hire a Seattle guy in the front office too?  My thinking is he will hire his people who will help make better decisions going forward.

11 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Well, I wouldn’t do that. Seems senseless.

only thing that makes sense with doing it is gamesmanship.  Example:  If a team tells a player they are going to draft him at a certain pick, and then team B calls and talk to him and learn that team A is gonna pick the player, team B could trade up and get him or take someone else. Or it could also convince another team to take him earlier than expected, thus letting another player fall to team A.  

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense.  If not, sorry

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

only thing that makes sense with doing it is gamesmanship.  Example:  If a team tells a player they are going to draft him at a certain pick, and then team B calls and talk to him and learn that team A is gonna pick the player, team B could trade up and get him or take someone else. Or it could also convince another team to take him earlier than expected, thus letting another player fall to team A.  

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense.  If not, sorry

That’s the only thing that might make any sense, but still, just seems like a deceitful way to treat a player, which to me, poorly reflects on the organization.