Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two coaches for the price of one.

Trace Pyott

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A coaching change at mid season might not be the fix but to some fans it might be viewed as some attempt to improve the teams performance. 

can we make the playoffs with a coaching change? if so i am all for it. if a new coach can coach this team of below average talent into the playoffs  irsay should bring him in

5 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Right, I think Shottenheimer probably benefits from name recognition. The only real reason I assume he gets the interim position if Pagano is let go mid-season is because I wouldn't give it to Chud or Philbin...

Process of elimination at that point...

Again, reasons why I see Pagano finishing out the season...

In all fairness, even though he failed in Miami, Philbin WAS dealt 4 nines in his poker hand... just saying.

6 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

I think that is pretty well understood. Sometimes I have a bad memory, but I can not think of any instance where a HC was replaced mid-season with someone not already on staff... 

In the 70s, BOB Irsay sent GM Joe Thomas to fire a coach at Halftime of a game.  Thomas asked who he should name coach?

Irsay told Thomas- you signed em, you coach em. Or I'll fire you too....

In 86, the Colts were 0-13. They fired the Coach Dowhower, and brought in out of work Ron Meyer, and they won their last 3 games.

29 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

In the 70s, BOB Irsay sent GM Joe Thomas to fire a coach at Halftime of a game.  Thomas asked who he should name coach?

Irsay told Thomas- you signed em, you coach em. Or I'll fire you too....

In 86, the Colts were 0-13. They fired the Coach Dowhower, and brought in out of work Ron Meyer, and they won their last 3 games.

Technically Thomas was on staff

7 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Let the new coach adjust into the system this year other than have to wait next year that may take a little longer setting back the team backwards rather than progress moving forward with a new coach....Adjust and overcome!!!!

Last time I checked a new head coach brings his own systems in. Then is up to the team to adjust to his systems. I think you have it backwards.

10 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Let the new coach adjust into the system this year other than have to wait next year that may take a little longer setting back the team backwards rather than progress moving forward with a new coach....Adjust and overcome!!!!

That is why a team hires a HC as soon as possible after their job comes open or their candidates become available 

4 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Pagano just kept his job for the worst colts performance since 1993. He's here for the year. 

I agree. Irsay/Ballard are fine letting the season run it’s course, and start with a new HC when a qualified candidate presents themself. This season is Pagano’s to fully own, and his firing will reflect ownerships/managements plans for the future. 

8 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I feel the same way about firing a coach as do about the NFL Trade Deadline

Both mid season, And I prefer neither; no trades or mid season coach firing...

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Wonder if Chuck takes over the defense at any point this year?  

Not as long as he is HC. OTOH, being a D guy, he should already have his fingerprints all over this D. 

22 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Both mid season, And I prefer neither; no trades or mid season coach firing...

Not as long as he is HC. OTOH, being a D guy, he should already have his fingerprints all over this D. 

The question made me think of my playing/early coaching days since our HC would take over Offensive play calling from the “OC” every year when changes were needed 

6 hours ago, deedub75 said:

If we lose the next two games and there are 30,000 terrible towels when we play the Steelers, I wouldn't be surprised if a change was made.  

The texans and steelers games scare me. Both could be blow outs that rival the 2011 saints game. The ravens defense could shut us out.