Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nate Hairston to be nickel corner

RockThatBlue

Hairston will have his hands full with Arians and Fitzgerald though, not easy to handle, IMO. 

I expect them to line Tavon Austin in the slot and run crossing routes like Nick Foles and the Chiefs did with Tyreek Hill,  with the slot guy running a skinny post deep. I hope Hairston and Hooker are ready for it because odds are, our pass rush won't get there and it will be up to the secondary.

Tavon Austin and John Brown/J.J.Nelson are the kind of players you run such plays with from the slot. I don't know about Jared Goff but Carson Palmer will put the ball on the money on those deep balls. You can bet that with VD not there, there will be plenty of shots taken on the outside. However, it all starts with stopping the run. 

9 minutes ago, twfish said:

He has heavily impressed Me, personally I think he's built more for outside cb the a nickel but maybe he can transition outside next year

There have been plenty of bigger nickels used for blitzing and run support.

Walter Thurmond, when he manned the slot for the Seahawks in 2013 and stepped in for Brandon Browner in the slot with Sherman and Maxwell manning the outside, the Seahawks LOB was pretty much unstoppable during the SB winning run. He was 5'11", 190 and Hairston is 6'0", 185 lbs, similar size. Darius Butler is more nimble but run support suffers with him at nickel, Hairston COULD change it. I think we leave him where he is for now and he is our long term plan there if he does well.

If anything, I am more worried about Quincy Wilson who got behind before TC on the learning curve behind Hairston because of his injury.