Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Press Conference

TKnight24

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

On Morris...who cares about OTA Ballard?  He was demoted and RESPONDED and outplayed everyone during the preseason GAMES.  That is a quality in a QB  I would want...the ability to respond to adversity, learn from your mistakes and IMPROVE.  It's not all in how you start it's how you finish.   But...I digress.  Tolzien better not continue to suck.

Let's see if Morris even shows up on an NFL roster.

So far.....   as far as I can tell,   there have been no takers.

Maybe NFL people don't see what the fans here do?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, Morris couldn't stay on the Jags(Bortles) or Eagles roster. Something is up. I suspect it might have to do with leadership or playbook problems, despite his play during games. Wasn't there also a report that Morris was bad during practice but good during games?

7 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Yeah, Morris couldn't stay on the Jags(Bortles) or Eagles roster. Something is up. I suspect it might have to do with leadership or playbook problems, despite his play during games. Wasn't there also a report that Morris was bad during practice but good during games?

There was no "report" of that.....    that was pure speculation and I believe it was started by me.

I'm just guessing at all teh reasons why Morris couldn't gain traction with the coaching staff when he seemed to play well during games.

So, I wondered out loud.....     but no reports that I'm aware of......     just possibilities.....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There was no "report" of that.....    that was pure speculation and I believe it was started by me.

I'm just guessing at all teh reasons why Morris couldn't gain traction with the coaching staff when he seemed to play well during games.

So, I wondered out loud.....     but no reports that I'm aware of......     just possibilities.....

No, Ballard said that during his presser.  He said Morris was bad in the OTA's, so bad that Walker moved ahead of him.   Then he admitted he was good in the games but they take in the whole picture. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really? I remember some reporters saying that Morris was bad during practice. I might be getting things mixed up.

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not that I think Morris is so great.  Just that he is better than Tolzien, which isn't a tough threshold to meet in my opinion.  If Tolzien was cut instead I'd bet he'd potentially face similar odds of being signed by another team. 

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No, Ballard said that during his presser.  He said Morris was bad in the OTA's, so bad that Walker moved ahead of him.   Then he admitted he was good in the games but they take in the whole picture. 

Yes, I understand that,    But the poster I was responding to I think was asking about reports BEFORE today.     That's how I took his meaning.

And before today, I'm not aware of any report.     Just speculation.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There wasn't an official report. It was Rick Venturi, who while doing commentary during the pre-season games, starting with game 1, that mentioned that specifically.

It may have just been an observation as opposed to an official report. Folks latched on to it. But then, Tim Tebow never wowed in practice but when it came to game time, he did what he needed to do to win for John Fox and Mike McCoy in 2011, and that was for the starting job. Sometimes, you need the faith of the coaches that you will get the job done. Morris did not get that, obviously.

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It's not that I think Morris is so great.  Just that he is better than Tolzien, which isn't a tough threshold to meet in my opinion.  If Tolzien was cut instead I'd bet he'd potentially face similar odds of being signed by another team. 

I agree with you about Tolzein.    He'd likely struggle to land a job.

The point I'm trying to stress is that what fans see and what NFL people see are often entirely different things.

Fans here think Morris was clearly and obviously better.    I seriously doubt NFL types would agree with that.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The point I'm trying to stress is that what fans see and what NFL people see are often entirely different things.

Fans here think Morris was clearly and obviously better.    I seriously doubt NFL types would agree with that.

Yeah...I don't get "NFL types" but especially our coaching staff which often  have views that differ from most other "NFL types" in my opinion.  Guess that's why I'm sitting on my butt pecking out posts to a fan message board on my keyboard.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pagano also alluded that they held ST back in the preseason, they were working on things.  I hope that's the reason for his immediate check downs.  He threw the ball preety well against the Steelers both times he faced them.

In game one I'm more concerned about our defense.  People want to laugh at Goff and the Rams offense, but if we can't hold the edge or cover the underneath receivers (as in the preseason), it won't take Joe Montana to beat us.  We've lost to worse QBs than Goff in the past.  

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Pagano also alluded that they held ST back in the preseason, they were working on things.  I hope that's the reason for his immediate check downs.  He threw the ball preety well against the Steelers both times he faced them.

In game one I'm more concerned about our defense.  People want to laugh at Goff and the Rams offense, but if we can't hold the edge or cover the underneath receivers (as in the preseason), it won't take Joe Montana to beat us.  We've lost to worse QBs than Goff in the past.  

Agreed...Ram's game is going to be tough to win.  Gurley is no joke.  Goff is entering his second year which is usually when they have their greatest growth from one year to the next.  It doesn't take much to give our defense problems either.  Heck...Osweiller beat the Colts twice last year and he's out of the league right now.

25 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah...I don't get "NFL types" but especially our coaching staff which often  have views that differ from most other "NFL types" in my opinion.  Guess that's why I'm sitting on my butt pecking out posts to a fan message board on my keyboard.

By NFL types...   that's my shorthand for GMs, scouts and coaches....

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By NFL types...   that's my shorthand for GMs, scouts and coaches....

Yes...I understood what you meant by NFL types.  I was just saying that I don't always understand or agree with their decisions or rationale much less those of the Colts coaching staff which seems to march to a different drum sometimes.  But I get your point overall.  I acknowledge that NFL types have more inside information than us fans are privy to. 

40 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The thing we also have to keep in mind is the Colts are not going to discuss what their issue were to the public. It's bad business to say anything to the media because what ever they say would get turned all around and somehow one of the media hounds would turn it into an issue. It's just business as usual.

35 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Agreed...Ram's game is going to be tough to win.  Gurley is no joke.  Goff is entering his second year which is usually when they have their greatest growth from one year to the next.  It doesn't take much to give our defense problems either.  Heck...Osweiller beat the Colts twice last year and he's out of the league right now.

Osweiller is actually on a 1 year contract back with Denver. 

1 hour ago, Luck is Good said:

Vontae just can't stay healthy. He's probably gone after this season on that fact alone

Sad but true.

We can't rely on him anymore.He's my favorite payer on that side of the ball though, so it's a bummer.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Having Ballard talking about him being bad in OTAs and practice sure won't help his cause. Maybe's that is the truth though. Obviously, they don't like him. But do I hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

On Morris...who cares about OTA Ballard?  He was demoted and RESPONDED and outplayed everyone during the preseason GAMES.  That is a quality in a QB  I would want...the ability to respond to adversity, learn from your mistakes and IMPROVE.  It's not all in how you start it's how you finish.   But...I digress.  Tolzien better not continue to suck.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Having Ballard talking about him being bad in OTAs and practice sure won't help his cause. Maybe's that is the truth though. Obviously, they don't like him. But do I hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

Unfortunately, Morris was signed to the Jags roster, andemoted to PS as soon as possible.  The Eagles signed him to the roster the next year, then demoted him to Practice Squad ASAP. The Colts got him and put him on their PS. Couldn't make an NFL roster in 3 years.  then comes in to OTA's and minicamp playing poorly.  Bad resume' right there.

Granted, he came on after training camp and in later stages of pre season games.  however, I feel the guy was a victim of his own making, just like this poor guy who had a quicker, and faster car, yet lost his drag race-

edfyxmo74k56oq71gqn8.jpg

The poor reaction time at the beginning put him behind.  He did better  than the opponent, but too little too late. With Morris 3 year history and year 4th year start, something similar has happened for him. There are many things coaches have privy to that the casual fan at home does not.  They are the pros, got the job, and are responsible to take everything into account.

People in the NFL know and talk to each other.  I'll bet anyone that has interest in Morris will call Chuck and/or Chris and get feedback.

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Unfortunately, morris was signed to the Jags roster, andemoted to PS as soon as possible.  The Eagles signed him to the roster the next year, then demoted him to Practice Squad ASAP. The Colts got him and put him on their PS. Couldn't make an NFL roster in 3 years.  then comes in to OTA's and minicamp playing poorly.  Bad resume' right there.

Granted, he came on after training camp and in later stages of pre season games.  however, I feel the guy was a victim of his own making, just like this poor guy who had a quicker, and faster car, yet lost his drag race-

edfyxmo74k56oq71gqn8.jpg

The poor reaction time at the beginning put him behind.  He did better  than the opponent, but too little too late. With Morris 3 year history and year 4 start, something similar has happened for him. There are many things coaches have privy to that the casual fan at home does not.  They are the pros, got the job, and are responsible to take everything into account.

Good post.  You're justification was better than the one Ballard provided in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Tolzien hasn't sucked, sooo, problem solved.

2 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Rick Venturi has said that repeatedly since last year. 

50 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Glad that you think so.  It takes more to impress me I suppose. 

I'm far from impressed. There's just a lot of gradient between "sucked" and "impressive," and that's where Tolzien is for me. 

People have ragged on him all offseason -- even before camp, before preseason, etc. And he had a decent preseason. He's not a WOW player, and by the end of the preseason I preferred Morris because he has traits and talent that I don't think Tolzien has, but I don't think there's some great separation between the two of them. Let's say Luck misses a month, I don't see the Colts going 2-2 with Tolzien or Morris. But Morris probably has more potential.

However, to the staff's point, if one guy consistently shows up ready to work, does a good job in meetings and film work and practice, while the other guy isn't as consistent in those crucial areas, it's hard to go away from the guy you find more reliable, even if there's nothing special about him. You know where he's going to be, you know what to expect, and you can plan around that. It sounds like Morris would be a 10 on Tuesday and a 2 on Thursday, and that's not something any coaching staff wants to hitch their wagon to, especially a staff that's already probably skating on thin ice.

27 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Unfortunately, Morris was signed to the Jags roster, andemoted to PS as soon as possible.  The Eagles signed him to the roster the next year, then demoted him to Practice Squad ASAP. The Colts got him and put him on their PS. Couldn't make an NFL roster in 3 years.  then comes in to OTA's and minicamp playing poorly.  Bad resume' right there.

edfyxmo74k56oq71gqn8.jpg

The poor reaction time at the beginning put him behind.  He did better  than the opponent, but too little too late. With Morris 3 year history and year 4 start, something similar has happened for him. There are many things coaches have privy to that the casual fan at home does not.  They are the pros, got the job, and are responsible to take everything into account.

I get what you are saying...but the comparison isn't really apt. A drag race has a definitive winner and loser. The QB battle between Tolzien and Morris was subjective. And one could easily argue that Morris actually won the race.

Also, technically Morris actually has made an NFL roster...as the Colts have signed him to the active roster in 2015 and 2016. He just never got a shot for some reason.

Regardless, I am also not sure it's fair to hold Morris' past against him...at least when talking about a QB competition between him and Tolzein. Like Morris, Tozien was also an UDFA. He signed with SD, who then cut him after the preseason. SF then claimed him and, had him as the 3rd stringer for two seasons (in which he didn't play a snap) and cut him after that. Then, in his third season, he was only able to make GB's PS. He only got onto the active roster because Rodgers had the clavicle injury. Then Seneca Wallace got hurt and he was able to play a couple poor games before being replaced by Matt Flynn. He did remain with GB, but he only threw one more NFL regular season pass for GB over the next two seasons. Then, the Colts signed him.

Really, last season, Morris was at basically the same spot as Tolzien was when in his third season...on a PS and activated to the roster because of injury to a starting QB. But his starting QB came back after one week...so he was sent back to the PS. And he never got a shot. 

I do agree that there is more to it than we can see. It's a shame too...because I wanted to see Morris get a chance

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm far from impressed. There's just a lot of gradient between "sucked" and "impressive," and that's where Tolzien is for me. 

People have ragged on him all offseason -- even before camp, before preseason, etc. And he had a decent preseason. He's not a WOW player, and by the end of the preseason I preferred Morris because he has traits and talent that I don't think Tolzien has, but I don't think there's some great separation between the two of them. Let's say Luck misses a month, I don't see the Colts going 2-2 with Tolzien or Morris. But Morris probably has more potential.

However, to the staff's point, if one guy consistently shows up ready to work, does a good job in meetings and film work and practice, while the other guy isn't as consistently in those crucial areas, it's hard to go away from the guy you find more reliable, even if there's nothing special about him. You know where he's going to be, you know what to expect, and you can plan around that. It sounds like Morris would be a 10 on Tuesday and a 2 on Thursday, and that's not something any coaching staff wants to hitch their wagon to, especially a staff that's already probably skating on thin ice.

I stand by my belief that Tolzien has sucked up to now.  He has played six years as back up in this league and has mustered all of 2 TD's to 7 INTs.  Not only that but just looking at him play with my own two eyes confirms it.  The Colts could hardly move the ball when he was in there and he did not get the team in the end zone once during the 4 preseason games he saw action in.  He was the only one of our 3 QBs not to have a TD pass.  Even Phillip Williams  managed to get the team in one time.   Morris got them moving at least and the offense had more energy.  I hope what Pagano says is true about the conservative nature of the play calling but I don't believe that was the sole cause of Tolzien's virtual ineffectiveness.   I'll give Scott credit for a half decent job in the regular season loss to the Steelers last year.  But he still leaves a lot to be desired.  Right now he both sucks and is unimpressive in my opinion.  Unfortunately, media pundits have also ridiculed him along with the Colts' prospects with him under center. So it's not just a few fans on this message board who have ragged on him.  I hope he gets better because he will need to.

As for the justification you put forth for the Colts' decision...I follow and acknowledge it as I previously indicated in my responses to NewColtsFan & ColtsBlueFL before you.  The Colts staff did what they felt was in the best interest of the franchise for whatever reasons only they are privy to.  But at the end of the day I'm still left disappointed by the net result...which is Scott Tolzien under center.

So it is what it is.  I said my piece about it and am trying to move on.  Like I posted earlier in this thread right after my vent post...Tolzien is our quarterback for Sunday so I hope he does well since I am a Colts fan.  If he plays well I will I have no problem giving him props.  But for now I need to see more from him. 

57 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I get what you are saying...but the comparison isn't really apt. A drag race has a definitive winner and loser. The QB battle between Tolzien and Morris was subjective. And one could easily argue that Morris actually won the race.

{snip}

It fits. At the beginning of the race, Tolzien jumped out in front at OTA's and mincamp.  In pre-season, Morris was getting up and running. Once the the pre season games commenced, Morris was going faster than Tolzien. But not by that much.  Like the faster car, he couldn't quite make up the ground that was lost early, and thus lost the race (position) when it was over. Morris played a little better at the end, just like the losing car was going faster. But for both, it was not enough to make up for the ground lost earlier.

So you can say the one car was faster, and likewise Morris played better, but in the end... both lost.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I stand by my belief that Tolzien has sucked up to now.  He has played six years as back up in this league and has mustered all of 2 TD's to 7 INTs.  Not only that but just looking at him play with my own two eyes confirms it.  The Colts could hardly move the ball when he was in there and he did not get the team in the end zone once during the 4 preseason games he saw action in.  He was the only one of our 3 QBs not to have a TD pass.  Even Phillip Williams  managed to get the team in one time.   Morris got them moving at least and the offense had more energy.  I hope what Pagano says is true about the conservative nature of the play calling but I don't believe that was the sole cause of Tolzien's virtual ineffectiveness.   I'll give Scott credit for a half decent job in the regular season loss to the Steelers last year.  But he still leaves a lot to be desired.  Right now he both sucks and is unimpressive in my opinion.  Unfortunately, media pundits have also ridiculed him along with the Colts' prospects with him under center. So it's not just a few fans on this message board who have ragged on him.  I hope he gets better because he will need to.

As for the justification you put forth for the Colts' decision...I follow and acknowledge it as I previously indicated in my responses to NewColtsFan & ColtsBlueFL before you.  The Colts staff did what they felt was in the best interest of the franchise for whatever reasons only they are privy to.  But at the end of the day I'm still left disappointed by the net result...which is Scott Tolzien under center.

So it is what it is.  I said my piece about it and am trying to move on.  Like I posted earlier in this thread right after my vent post...Tolzien is our quarterback for Sunday so I hope he does well since I am a Colts fan.  If he plays well I will I have no problem giving him props.  But for now I need to see more from him. 

If tolzien plays in reg season like he has in preseason I would not be surprised if we lose 49 to 6

6 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I will be pulling for Tolzien to do well  because I'm a Colts fan.  Just had to vent a little about the decision and Ballard's explanation for it. 

Lol,

Its hard to choke down bro (ST > SM).... for a lot of us.  Vent when you need to vent NP here

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yes...I understood what you meant by NFL types.  I was just saying that I don't always understand or agree with their decisions or rationale much less those of the Colts coaching staff which seems to march to a different drum sometimes.  But I get your point overall.  I acknowledge that NFL types have more inside information than us fans are privy to. 

Sorry.....    I was out and about and posting from my phone and trying to keep it short.

I wasn't trying to patronize you.     Just explaining my verbage...

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Rick Venturi has said that repeatedly since last year. 

I'm sure you're right.

But I don't follow Venturi and so I didn't know that until your post.

And during the past few weeks,  when I've been speculating about Morris in thread after thread about why Morris wasn't passing Tolzein on the depth chart,  I'd be putting out my theory and I don't recall anyone chiming in with the 411 that Venturi has been sayng that for a year.     Interesting.    Or maybe someone did and I just didn't see it.     Always possible.

Wasn't trying to take any credit.    I was only offering my speculation because it was the only thing that made sense to me.

I'm rarely a big fan of the mob mentality when people start writing strange posts about how clear and obvious things are and why does't the GM, or HC, or OC know that they are wrong and the fan base is right?!?      That almost never works for me.