Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft W/ Trades (Not The #1 Overall Pick)

In this mock draft, I have us trading down the 34th pick and our 65th pick to the Eagles for their 46th and 51st picks and trade Dwight Freeney to the Bills for their 41st pick. I know a lot of people don't like mocking trades but I just wanted to throw some ideas out there.

Round 1 Pick 1

Andrew Luck QB, Stanford 6-4 235lbs.

It doesn't really matter if Peyton Manning is back next year, when you're in position to take a franchise QB that you believe can lead you for 15 years, you take him. Andrew Luck has been called the best QB prospect since John Elway, and a once in a generation type player. Luck has a quick release, extremely intelligent, extremely accurate and is a leader. His only weakness is that he doesn't have a laser arm. His deep ball tends to wobble after 35-40 yards, causing his receiver to have to come back for the football on occasion. He still has an above average arm though, and can make all the throws, but his good decision making and accuracy is what really stands out about him.

Round 2 Pick 41 (TRADE)

Kelechi Osemele OT/G, Iowa State 6-5 333lbs.

The offensive line still might be our biggest weakness but we took a step in the right direction drafting our tackles for the future in Castonzo and Ijalana. This year we'll pick our guard for the future in the 2nd round. I think Osemele is the best G next to David DeCastro in the draft. He's a terrific athlete. He's a great pass protector and powerful run blocker which is exactly what we need. If we land Carl Nicks, our offensive line would be Castonzo-Nicks-Pollak-Osemele-Ijalana, which could easily become our best line in a while. Imagine Peyton Manning having as much time as Tom Brady does in the pocket, or make sure Andrew Luck doesn't get blitzed to death and become the next David Carr.

Round 2 Pick 46 (TRADE)

Vinny Curry DE/OLB, Marshall 6-4 263lbs.

I don't think Dwight Freeney can make the transition to 3-4, and we should look to trade him if we're switching to the 3-4 defense. Vinny Curry is an explosive OLB in the 3-4 defense that can be a starter from day 1. In 2011, Curry had 77 tackles, 22 tackles for a loss, 11 sacks, 3 blocked kicks and 7 forced fumbles. He's a great pass rusher, but this past season he improved his run defense and he can also drop back into coverage. He did not face any elite tackles in college.

Round 2 Pick 51 (TRADE)

Alameda Ta'amu DT/NT, Washington 6-3 341lbs.

Another pick to help us transition to the 3-4 defense. NT is arguably the most important position for the 3-4, and Ta'amu has the potential to be a great NT in the pros. He was inconsistent last year, but if Chuck Pagano and the rest of the coaching staff can bring the best out of him, he could be one of the top NT's in the league. Ta'amu finished the 2011 season with 30 tackles, 7 tackles for a loss and 3.5 sacks.

Round 4 Pick 91

Chris Polk RB, Washington 5-11 224lbs.

The 4th round is lower than many people think Polk is going to go, but he had a disappointing senior bowl while guys like Isiah Pead and Chris Rainey improved their stock, he may have fallen to the 5th best RB in the draft behind Richardson, Miller, Wilson and Pead. But personally I think he's the 2nd best RB in the draft. He has good vision, he hits the hole quickly and is great at cutting. In 2011 he ran for 1,488 yards and 12 TDs with a 5.1 average. Washington had a pretty bad O-Line so his numbers could have been even better with some better blocking.

Round 4 Composition (Sessions)

Casey Heyward CB, Vanderbilt 5-11 188lbs.

Heyward was a ballhawk last year, he had 4 INTs in the first 4 games of the season. He finished the year with 5 INTs, 54 tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss and 9 passes broken up. Being that Pagano was a secondary coach at Baltimore I would like to see him work with this kid because I think he is one of the more underrated prospects in this year's draft.

Round 5 Pick 128

Tommy Streeter WR, Miami 6-5 215lbs.

Another mock draft with Tommy Streeter on it, but I can't help it! He's 6-5 and runs a 4.40, which is exactly what everyone here has been wanting for years. The Miami Hurricanes have produced many great WRs before (M. Irvin, A. Johnson, R. Wayne, S. Moss, etc.) and I think he could be the next big thing. His only weakness is lack of experience, 2011 was his 1st year of play time, and he's incredibly raw and needs work on his route running. He could be the steal of the draft one day. Touchdown Tommy Streeter finished the 2011 season with 46 catches, 811 yards and 8 TDs.

Round 6 Pick 161

Derek Wolfe DE/DT, Cincinnati 6-5 300lbs.

Yet another 3-4 pick, this time at DE. Wolfe is another one of those underrated prospects. He didn't play elite competition, but he did finish the 2011 season with 64 tackles, 19.5 tackles for a loss, 2 forced fumbles and 9.5 sacks. I think he could be starting material.

Round 7 Pick 191

Chris Rainey RB, Florida 5-8 178lbs.

Rainey would be our KR/PR next year. He runs a 4.3 40 which would add excitement to our special teams which we haven't had in...well ever. But more importantly he would give our offense better field position.

Tommy Streeter will end up going where you have Chris Polk slotted. Jimmy Graham went round 3, so don't be surprised if someone goes for Streeter as early as round 3. I would then use that Round 5 pick on an OLB like Donte Paige Moss or the Fleming guy from Notre Dame. Chris Rainey is perfect where he is and Al Davis is dead, so the best 40 time may actually slide further in the draft than before :).

Good draft, overall.

In this mock draft, I have us trading down the 34th pick and our 65th pick to the Eagles for their 46th and 51st picks and trade Dwight Freeney to the Bills for their 41st pick. I know a lot of people don't like mocking trades but I just wanted to throw some ideas out there.

Round 1 Pick 1

It doesn't really matter if Peyton Manning is back next year, when you're in position to take a franchise QB that you believe can lead you for 15 years, you take him. Andrew Luck has been called the best QB prospect since John Elway, and a once in a generation type player. Luck has a quick release, extremely intelligent, extremely accurate and is a leader. His only weakness is that he doesn't have a laser arm. His deep ball tends to wobble after 35-40 yards, causing his receiver to have to come back for the football on occasion. He still has an above average arm though, and can make all the throws, but his good decision making and accuracy is what really stands out about him.

Round 2 Pick 41 (TRADE)

The offensive line still might be our biggest weakness but we took a step in the right direction drafting our tackles for the future in Castonzo and Ijalana. This year we'll pick our guard for the future in the 2nd round. I think Osemele is the best G next to David DeCastro in the draft. He's a terrific athlete. He's a great pass protector and powerful run blocker which is exactly what we need. If we land Carl Nicks, our offensive line would be Castonzo-Nicks-Pollak-Osemele-Ijalana, which could easily become our best line in a while. Imagine Peyton Manning having as much time as Tom Brady does in the pocket, or make sure Andrew Luck doesn't get blitzed to death and become the next David Carr.

Round 2 Pick 46 (TRADE)

I don't think Dwight Freeney can make the transition to 3-4, and we should look to trade him if we're switching to the 3-4 defense. Vinny Curry is an explosive OLB in the 3-4 defense that can be a starter from day 1. In 2011, Curry had 77 tackles, 22 tackles for a loss, 11 sacks, 3 blocked kicks and 7 forced fumbles. He's a great pass rusher, but this past season he improved his run defense and he can also drop back into coverage. He did not face any elite tackles in college.

Round 2 Pick 51 (TRADE)

Another pick to help us transition to the 3-4 defense. NT is arguably the most important position for the 3-4, and Ta'amu has the potential to be a great NT in the pros. He was inconsistent last year, but if Chuck Pagano and the rest of the coaching staff can bring the best out of him, he could be one of the top NT's in the league. Ta'amu finished the 2011 season with 30 tackles, 7 tackles for a loss and 3.5 sacks.

Round 4 Pick 91

The 4th round is lower than many people think Polk is going to go, but he had a disappointing senior bowl while guys like Isiah Pead and Chris Rainey improved their stock, he may have fallen to the 5th best RB in the draft behind Richardson, Miller, Wilson and Pead. But personally I think he's the 2nd best RB in the draft. He has good vision, he hits the hole quickly and is great at cutting. In 2011 he ran for 1,488 yards and 12 TDs with a 5.1 average. Washington had a pretty bad O-Line so his numbers could have been even better with some better blocking.

Heyward was a ballhawk last year, he had 4 INTs in the first 4 games of the season. He finished the year with 5 INTs, 54 tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss and 9 passes broken up. Being that Pagano was a secondary coach at Baltimore I would like to see him work with this kid because I think he is one of the more underrated prospects in this year's draft.

Round 5 Pick 128

Another mock draft with Tommy Streeter on it, but I can't help it! He's 6-5 and runs a 4.40, which is exactly what everyone here has been wanting for years. The Miami Hurricanes have produced many great WRs before (M. Irvin, A. Johnson, R. Wayne, S. Moss, etc.) and I think he could be the next big thing. His only weakness is lack of experience, 2011 was his 1st year of play time, and he's incredibly raw and needs work on his route running. He could be the steal of the draft one day. Touchdown Tommy Streeter finished the 2011 season with 46 catches, 811 yards and 8 TDs.

Round 6 Pick 161

Yet another 3-4 pick, this time at DE. Wolfe is another one of those underrated prospects. He didn't play elite competition, but he did finish the 2011 season with 64 tackles, 19.5 tackles for a loss, 2 forced fumbles and 9.5 sacks. I think he could be starting material.

Round 7 Pick 191

Rainey would be our KR/PR next year. He runs a 4.3 40 which would add excitement to our special teams which we haven't had in...well ever. But more importantly he would give our offense better field position.

i seen one other mock draft on cbssportline that had us taking Tommie Streeter but you and i have talked before once the cobine hits i do not think he will be considered past the 3rd round. I want the guy from all i read about him but if we do not take him in the 3rd i think we will miss out on him.

Couple things I'd like to say.

1. I love the Tommy Streeter pick but I don't see him falling to the 5th round.

2. I dont see us taking Chris Polk in the 4th (He is a late 1st round/2nd round pick) unless we get rid of Addai or Brown.

3. We should draft a strong saftey somewhere in this draft.

Otherwise, good job!

I could see Tommy Streeter falling to the 5th because he has a lack of experience and he is very raw. http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2012 has us taking Streeter in the 5th round like I do. He is kind of in the same boat as Leonard Hankerson, who everyone on the forum was high on going into the draft, and he fell to the middle of the 3rd round due to lack of experience and he was supposed to be a late 1st early 2nd WR. Streeter is even more inexperienced, and this is a very deep WR class IMO.

I have us taking Chris Polk because I could see us cutting Joesph Addai because he's never healthy, and when he is healthy he isn't good. Donald Brown outplayed him last year, and pretty much took the starting job. Delone Carter will never be anything special and fumbles too much. Next year we should start the season Brown/Polk and eventually Polk will take the starting job as we become a more balanced offense. He's going to fall to the 4th because he had a disappointing senior bowl performance and I heard he gave bad interviews and his draft stock is falling. http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_4.php has him falling to the 4th too. Rainey is just a BPA pick and could help us on special teams. At best he could be our Danny Woodhead, but we just need new returners.

I was thinking about putting a S in the draft but I see Pagano bringing Tom Zbikowski with him and he could be a long term solution, but if not next year has a strong S class.

I could see Tommy Streeter falling to the 5th because he has a lack of experience and he is very raw. http://www.draftsite...mock-draft/2012 has us taking Streeter in the 5th round like I do. He is kind of in the same boat as Leonard Hankerson, who everyone on the forum was high on going into the draft, and he fell to the middle of the 3rd round due to lack of experience and he was supposed to be a late 1st early 2nd WR. Streeter is even more inexperienced, and this is a very deep WR class IMO.

I have us taking Chris Polk because I could see us cutting Joesph Addai because he's never healthy, and when he is healthy he isn't good. Donald Brown outplayed him last year, and pretty much took the starting job. Delone Carter will never be anything special and fumbles too much. Next year we should start the season Brown/Polk and eventually Polk will take the starting job as we become a more balanced offense. He's going to fall to the 4th because he had a disappointing senior bowl performance and I heard he gave bad interviews and his draft stock is falling. http://walterfootbal...draft2012_4.php has him falling to the 4th too. Rainey is just a BPA pick and could help us on special teams. At best he could be our Danny Woodhead, but we just need new returners.

I was thinking about putting a S in the draft but I see Pagano bringing Tom Zbikowski with him and he could be a long term solution, but if not next year has a strong S class.

I would love to get him in the 5th but i seen i think it was Walter .com or something like that having him going to Baltimore in the 3rd and it will all depend on what he does at the combine those numbers will surely impress alot of people

Round 1 Pick 1

Round 2 Pick 41 (TRADE)

Round 2 Pick 46 (TRADE)

Round 2 Pick 51 (TRADE)

Round 4 Pick 91

Round 5 Pick 128

Round 6 Pick 161

Round 7 Pick 191

Love love the idea, not the pics as much.. I see great value in the second round. My mock would be...

2. Leonard Johnson CB

2. Kevin Zeitler G

2. Kendal Reyes DE

4. Markel Martin or George Ilakos S

4. Kheeston Randal DE/DT

5. Josh Chapman or Aikem Hicks NT

6. Antoine McClain G

7. William Vlachos C

Free Agency: Aubrayo Franklin NT, Jarred Johnson OLB

Resign: Wayne, Garçon, Mathis, Saturday, Wheeler, Tamme

Rework: Manning, Clarke, Addai, Freeney, Bethea

Cut: Brackett, Bullitt

2. Leonard Johnson CB

2. Kevin Zeitler G

2. Kendal Reyes DE

4. Markel Martin or George Ilakos S

4. Kheeston Randal DE/DT

5. Josh Chapman or Aikem Hicks NT

6. Antoine McClain G

7. William Vlachos C

Free Agency: Aubrayo Franklin NT, Jarred Johnson OLB

Resign: Wayne, Garçon, Mathis, Saturday, Wheeler, Tamme

Rework: Manning, Clarke, Addai, Freeney, Bethea

Cut: Brackett, Bullitt

we still dont have anyone named Clarke on our team...lol

it wasnt bad, but i wouldnt have used picks on RBs...the ones we have are good enough in today's NFL where you dont "need" a top RB

I also dont think we get rid of Freeney....but then again, i honestly believe we will run a base 4-3 (NOT a 3-4), but throw in a few 3-4 looks from time to time. Pagano said he will work with the players we have and not try to force a square peg into a round hole...to me, that means for now we will stick with 4-3 as our base, but finally get rid of the tampa2

it wasnt bad, but i wouldnt have used picks on RBs...the ones we have are good enough in today's NFL where you dont "need" a top RB

I also dont think we get rid of Freeney....but then again, i honestly believe we will run a base 4-3 (NOT a 3-4), but throw in a few 3-4 looks from time to time. Pagano said he will work with the players we have and not try to force a square peg into a round hole...to me, that means for now we will stick with 4-3 as our base, but finally get rid of the tampa2

Well check this one out then bro

2. Brandon Thompson NT

2. Leonard Johnson CB

4. Nigel Bradham WLB

4. Amini Silatou G

5. Matt Daniels SS

6. Ryan Miller G

7. William Vlachos C

From his scenario but keeping Freeney

Resign Mathis, Garçon, Saturday, Wayne

Rework Clark, Addai, Manning

Cut Brackett and Bullitt

So you're confident in Freeney and Mathis making the transition to the 3-4 OLB?

So you're confident in Freeney and Mathis making the transition to the 3-4 OLB?

No above that I did a mock with the original scenario it was all 3-4 players, that particular one was 4-3 players. I see the 4-3 as about 4 pieces away NT, OLB, CB, SS and the 3-4 is 7 pieces away NT, 2DE, ILB, OLB, CB, and SS.

Love the idea but I would rather go with Leonard Johnson in place of Osemele and in place of Polk I'd go Streeter or best available O-lieman. If we don't grab Streeter there I'd go with Marvin Mcnutt in the fifth, then that draft would be amazing imo, but overall I like the mock and could live without the Osemele (Johnson in my case) pick and keep Freeney.

Round 1 Pick 1

Round 2 Pick 41 (TRADE)

Round 2 Pick 46 (TRADE)

Round 2 Pick 51 (TRADE)

Round 4 Pick 91

Round 5 Pick 128

Round 6 Pick 161

Round 7 Pick 191

I like it but why are you having them pick not one but TWO running backs? the backfield is already filled up with addai,brown and carter and both brown and carter broke out this past season....Rainey would be good for ST but his speed you wont be able to keep him on just ST as you would have to use him as a RB alot. those two picks could be used on defense. or take rainey and then the polks 4th round pick use for a better DB.

I like it but why are you having them pick not one but TWO running backs? the backfield is already filled up with addai,brown and carter and both brown and carter broke out this past season....Rainey would be good for ST but his speed you wont be able to keep him on just ST as you would have to use him as a RB alot. those two picks could be used on defense. or take rainey and then the polks 4th round pick use for a better DB.

Well I have been in favor of cutting Addai to save some cap space, so this mock is assuming that happens. That would mean our backfield would be Brown/Polk/Carter/Rainey, but Rainey being used for strictly KR/PR. Just a BPA pick. And I did use a 4th round pick on a CB, it was just the composition pick. Would you be more happy if I made Casey Heyward the 91st pick and Chris Polk the composition pick? I don't see the difference.

Well I have been in favor of cutting Addai to save some cap space, so this mock is assuming that happens. That would mean our backfield would be Brown/Polk/Carter/Rainey, but Rainey being used for strictly KR/PR. Just a BPA pick. And I did use a 4th round pick on a CB, it was just the composition pick. Would you be more happy if I made Casey Heyward the 91st pick and Chris Polk the composition pick? I don't see the difference.

wow, and i thought i was the only one who was in favor in cutting addai. lol. in that case sounds good lol. and no there would be no difference in the difference in picks its fine the way it is.

wow, and i thought i was the only one who was in favor in cutting addai. lol. in that case sounds good lol. and no there would be no difference in the difference in picks its fine the way it is.

It was painful watching him last season. He couldn't stay healthy, and when he was healthy he stunk. He's lost 2 steps and was completely out played but a guy who was widely considered a bust. I really appreciate what he did for us, especially the 2006 and 2007 season. We wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without him, but it's time to let him go.

Came up with a new trade idea, and wanted to see what you all think about it. After thinking about it I think we can get more for Dwight Freeney who is still one of the best 4-3 pass rushers in the NFL and still has a lot of pro bowl years left. So in this new draft:

Release Manning, Brackett, Bullitt and Addai for cap/health issues.

Re-sign Garcon, Tamme, Lacey and Brayton. Reggie follows Peyton wherever he goes, and if Peyton retires he'll probably end up in Miami or a contending team.

Trade Dwight Freeney + 2012 2nd round pick + 2013 2nd round pick to Cincinnati for the 17th and 21st picks.

Trade Dallas Clark to the New York Giants for the 64th pick.

Sign Carl Nicks, Jarret Johnson, Paul Soliai and Tom Zbikowski.

RD 1 PCK 1: Andrew Luck QB Stanford

RD 1 PCK 17: Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame

RD 1 PCK 21: Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama

RD 2 PCK 64: Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin

RD 3 PCK 68: Jared Crick DE/DT Nebraska

RD 4 PCK 97: Chris Polk RB Washington

RD 4 COMP: Jayron Hosley CB Virginia Tech

RD 5 PCK 128: Derek Wolfe DE/DT Cincinnati

RD 6 PCK 161: Trenton Robinson S Michigan State

RD 6 COMP: DeAngelo Peterson TE LSU

RD 7 PCK 191: Chris Rainey KR/PR Florida