Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 after tag free agency mock

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I disagree.  Depending on the position, playing indoors can be a plus.  And no matter what some people like to think, the Colts are contenders.  Also, we have a player friendly coach and an owner who tries to do what he can to improve the team.

How many times have you heard "...the chance to play with Andrew Luck..."?  Having a franchise QB is a huge advantage.

Lots more than just money, IMO.

I've heard that from Gore and Andre Johnson. That is it. Just because we love the team doesn't mean other people do. We are not contenders and there are many other teams in bigger markets with better rosters free agents could sign to.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I disagree.  Depending on the position, playing indoors can be a plus.  And no matter what some people like to think, the Colts are contenders.  Also, we have a player friendly coach and an owner who tries to do what he can to improve the team.

How many times have you heard "...the chance to play with Andrew Luck..."?  Having a franchise QB is a huge advantage.

Lots more than just money, IMO.

I was probably too definitive in my original statement,. There are a lot of factors that go into those decisions. But, the bottom line is the Colts aren't a team with more to offer than everyone else. Even if they were, those teams don't magically close on their top 4-5 FA targets. It just doesn't happen. That's why it's unrealistic.

I don't want to get too far off topic from the original point, but there are a handful of teams with strong QB play that have a bunch of cap room as well (Bucs, Titans, Patriots, Packers, Raiders). That may play a factor, but it's not going to single-handedly sell FA on Indy.

I also don't think the Colts are Super Bowl contenders right now. Not even close. So we'll have to agree to disagree there.

I just don't want to see a bunch of fans having meltdowns in a couple weeks when the Colts sign maybe 1 or 2 guys for what would be considered a sizable contract. It's really setting up CB for failure if the expectation is to bring on 4 guys that will all be impact starters.

17 minutes ago, BCoop said:

Hire some math kid?

It's unrealistic because this isn't Madden.

Players have to WANT to sign with you. Some guys will want money, some will want a specific location/market, and some a chance for a championship. Right now, the Colts can only offer money. That's not going to sell everyone.

Oh yeah. Nobody wants to sign here. I forgot that one.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

Oh yeah. Nobody wants to sign here. I forgot that one.

How does "That's not going to sell everyone" = "Nobody wants to come here"?

I'm just saying we need to be realistic. It's not an all or nothing proposition. 

5 minutes ago, BCoop said:

How does "That's not going to sell everyone" = "Nobody wants to come here"?

I'm just saying we need to be realistic. It's not an all or nothing proposition. 

We can offer more than money. We can be a 10-6 team or better with the right additions this coming season. We have 12. We just need some defensive playmakers and our guys to stop being so soft and getting hurt all the time. Yes I said soft. One of the only guys who was injury prone ALL the time, who I wouldn't call soft is Sanders and that's because be was a straight up bad *. He would take your lunch money and then taunt you. Look at Trailer park Gronk. He's soft as they come.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

We can offer more than money. We can be a 10-6 team or better with the right additions this coming season. We have 12. We just need some defensive playmakers and our guys to stop being so soft and getting hurt all the time.

This will be my last post on this because I'm talking in circles and it doesn't seem to be sinking in. 

Having money and a QB doesn't mean you get to sign every player you want. You know who has MORE money and a BETTER QB? The Patriots. And they just won the SB. By your metrics, everyone should just sign with them.

That's not how the NFL works. 

The Colts will not be signing 4-5 stud defenders that will push them over the top. The goal should be to find 1-2 impact guys, then build the rest through the draft. Use the rest of your cap on extensions and finding depth on both sides of the ball. It wouldn't be the worst thing to roll some of that money forward as well. There's no requirement to blow all $60 million of our cap room.

42 minutes ago, BCoop said:

I was probably too definitive in my original statement,. There are a lot of factors that go into those decisions. But, the bottom line is the Colts aren't a team with more to offer than everyone else. Even if they were, those teams don't magically close on their top 4-5 FA targets. It just doesn't happen. That's why it's unrealistic.

I don't want to get too far off topic from the original point, but there are a handful of teams with strong QB play that have a bunch of cap room as well (Bucs, Titans, Patriots, Packers, Raiders). That may play a factor, but it's not going to single-handedly sell FA on Indy.

I also don't think the Colts are Super Bowl contenders right now. Not even close. So we'll have to agree to disagree there.

I just don't want to see a bunch of fans having meltdowns in a couple weeks when the Colts sign maybe 1 or 2 guys for what would be considered a sizable contract. It's really setting up CB for failure if the expectation is to bring on 4 guys that will all be impact starters.

1 or 2 big contracts is the MOST anyone should expect.  But I do expect CB to attempt to fill every hole, even if it's a stop gap.

I wasn't sure what people meant by 'contender'.  In my mind, if you think you have a shot at the playoffs, you're a contender.

I do think that Indy is a  favorable place for FA's.  Not that they'd take less money to come here, but there's no real red flags. 

50 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We can offer more than money. We can be a 10-6 team or better with the right additions this coming season. We have 12. We just need some defensive playmakers and our guys to stop being so soft and getting hurt all the time. Yes I said soft. One of the only guys who was injury prone ALL the time, who I wouldn't call soft is Sanders and that's because be was a straight up bad *. He would take your lunch money and then taunt you. Look at Trailer park Gronk. He's soft as they come.

yeah, and then he'd trip over a twig while walking away and tear both of his biceps :P

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Grigson tried that approach and all it brought was short term success and long term holes. It's not wise to speed up the process. Let the process run its natural course. There is no substitute for building a team piece by piece.

We can use the cap space to make 2 splashes but that's it. A CB and an OG. 

You realize then all of our LBers will be second year players or rookies right?

4 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Lineman coming out of college now are generally not ready to start due to the offenses in college. I thought Haeg did well last year and I think Clark made progress and will continue. He had the longest way to go since he played at Texas Tech. Are OL is close, but we need a good RG, but there are great options besides Zeitler who will be cheaper, Lang, Warford, etc. If we do go Zeitler, I am fine with it though. We need that spot sewed up. Osemile go 11M last year, and I expect Zeitler to get the same money.

I don't want Alexander for 12M yr. at 33 even if you backend the contract. He may hit a wall at anytime. We have done the experiment with older players, and it was a train wreck. If I am going to pay, I want youth.

As far as CB, I think Ballard can find us a good one in the draft. This draft is the deepest in CB's in a long time, and I hope he can find us someone in the first or second depending on who falls.

I want two things in FA. A RG and a NT. Ballard wants the trenches to be better, then go get Williams and Zeitler, Lang or Warford. Poe scares me because of the back, but Ballard would know about that, so if he goes that way, i would have to assume he feels comfortable about his medical. Still back injuries scare me.

If we came out of FA with Brown, Williams and a good RG, I would be ecstatic, and we would still have over 30M in cap space! This is not a good FA year, and we are not going to rebuild a non existent defense in one year, especially through FA!

And that's 30 mil we're sitting on and did nothing to help our LBers expect for brown

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Please no!  I wouldn't mind signing Brown and I think 7m/year is a good number.  Other than that I do not want anything to do with that.  Gilmore will get more money and I am not sure what CB will be willing to spend.  I highly doubt he goes into FA and signs a guard to that contract as well.  And Alexander at that contract.....you are joking right?  He is already 33 and even though players like Freeney and Harrison are still playing they are not making anything close to that.  Why? Because of the age and teams are not that stupid!

Go give 15 plus to Nick Perry then

2 hours ago, BCoop said:

I don't know that bringing on 3 defenders from the Bills really jives with what Ballard has been saying about buying a locker room. Aren't those guys coming from one of the more toxic environments in football?

It was just a few years ago bills had one of the best defenses

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Everyone is saying unrealistic. How? How could we not afford to sign some good players with 60 mill to spend. And 8.7 left? So? LOL. I would just hire some math kid and say "Hey kid. I want this guy, this guy, and this guy." "Show me how to manipulate the cap and make it work" That's the thing. You can manipulate the freaking cap!!!! Give Perry and Bouye 60 million and make it work. I don't know how to explain it I just know it can be done. The cap continues to rise, just draft good and we'll be fine. But somebody tell me if I'm wrong about manipulating the cap???? So it cant be done? You cant sign at least Perry and Bouye  with 60 million to spend? It could be made work.

But signing Alexander for anything more than 2/16 is dumb bro. He may have put it all together but he's 33 and might have 1 more, maybe 2 good years left.

And even if Nick Perry is our ONLY signing we gotta make it happen.

This isn't madden and there's a lot if suitors for someone to pick.

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You realize then all of our LBers will be second year players or rookies right?

Yup. And that's okay. Competition. Let them grow. Who knows. We might draft a LB like Foster, Davis, Reddick, etc... and they might come out and ball. I'm not opposed to signing a guy like Zack Brown though, but we need to focus on the draft.

I don't think Ballard is rolling into 2017 with Morrison and Edwin Jackson as starters. I just don't think he's going to spend big money on two bases on his comments.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yup. And that's okay. Competition. Let them grow. Who knows. We might draft a LB like Foster, Davis, Reddick, etc... and they might come out and ball. I'm not opposed to signing a guy like Zack Brown though, but we need to focus on the draft.

I don't think Ballard is rolling into 2017 with Morrison and Edwin Jackson as starters. I just don't think he's going to spend big money on two bases on his comments.

Well right now those are our current starters and that worries me

I think there are going to be a lot of upset fans after this FA starts.  Ballard even said yesterday in the presser at the combine that this is a process.  It is not going to be a one year plug some guys in and we are good type of thing.  I am para phrasing of course but he wants competition at positions but he is not going to just throw money at someone like Nick Perry because he is what some consider the best available guy.  He might not care for him or even want to consider to pay him what a team like the Browns might spend.  I see him looking at a few positions and bringing people in but I just do not see him going out and throwing a lot at players that might not work in our scheme.  Nice Perry would fit for us as he simply replaced Walden in Green Bay and could do the same here but I don't see it happening at 14 or 15 million a year.

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well right now those are our current starters and that worries me

It worries me too. But I trust Ballard and his process. I think he's smart enough to see that the LB core is really poor. I think the Colts will draft an ILB in the first 3 rounds without a doubt. If Foster falls it's a no brainer. Maybe he'll fall in love with Zachary Cunningham. Maybe teams don't like the injury on Foster and take Cunningham first, leaving us Foster. Maybe round 2 he looks at Reddick or Jarrad Davis. Maybe we'll get ILBs in the first and 2nd round. That's all hypothetical but the point is, there are options.

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

thats the norm

It will take about $5M for the rookies.
 Please write down your numbers and do a post on how well did.
 We do this to amuse ourselves, it is just a guessing game. lol

I trust our owner and GM when they said we may have a bumpy 1st year or two.
 To me that means NO older players that cost much should be expected this off season.

15 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'd be happy with Claiborne and Williams in FA. Then draft go OLB like Barnett in the 1st CB in the 2nd RB Mixon in the 3rd ILB like Reeves Maybin in the 4th and trade the other 4th to philly for Kendricks.

This is good and more realistic.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard hasn't said anything that every other GM in the history of the NFL hasn't said in one way, shape or form.

I'd say it's pretty good! My only issues are Minter and Alexander. I don't think what you're offering Minter is absurd, I just don't think he's near worth it. And Alexander is just too old and too expensive for a team looking for a bit of a defensive rebuild. It should take a few years to get where we want to be on defense, and by that time Alexander will either be in a decline or at the end of his contract. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere, just my opinion.

5 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Ballard hasn't said anything that every other GM in the history of the NFL hasn't said in one way, shape or form.

Maybe not but there's some things he's put more emphasis on then others. He's said again and again that you can't buy a team. That building a team takes time. He's talked about that more than anything else in his interviews and press conferences. 

8 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Everyone is saying unrealistic. How? How could we not afford to sign some good players with 60 mill to spend. And 8.7 left? So? LOL. I would just hire some math kid and say "Hey kid. I want this guy, this guy, and this guy." "Show me how to manipulate the cap and make it work" That's the thing. You can manipulate the freaking cap!!!! Give Perry and Bouye 60 million and make it work. I don't know how to explain it I just know it can be done. The cap continues to rise, just draft good and we'll be fine. But somebody tell me if I'm wrong about manipulating the cap???? So it cant be done? You cant sign at least Perry and Bouye  with 60 million to spend? It could be made work.

But signing Alexander for anything more than 2/16 is dumb bro. He may have put it all together but he's 33 and might have 1 more, maybe 2 good years left.

And even if Nick Perry is our ONLY signing we gotta make it happen.

Vontae Davis makes 9m a year.   How well do you think it would set with him and the team to bring in a guy like Bouye and have to pay him 11-13m ?    You cant just say # it and sign guys and not worry about the reaction from the rest of the team.   Bouye is NOT better than Davis.  And in no way should make more than him on this team.   It's going to be bad enough when he realizes that he needs to renegotiate because of these big contracts some of the lesser CB's are getting.

There is more to just signing a guy than writing the check.  He has to be a fit for the team and he also has to not cause tension because of the money he is being paid....  Ballard said this himself

2 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

They're not the biggest names to FANS.

NFL execs around the league know who's good and who's not..

of course theres going to be a lot of bidders, but there are a lot better players out there to go after first

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Maybe not but there's some things he's put more emphasis on then others. He's said again and again that you can't buy a team. That building a team takes time. He's talked about that more than anything else in his interviews and press conferences. 

And again, every other GM (grigson included) ever has said the same thing...build through the draft, grow your own, can't buy a team, etc

6 hours ago, Jason_S said:

And again, every other GM (grigson included) ever has said the same thing...build through the draft, grow your own, can't buy a team, etc

The difference with Ballard is that he came from KC where you can look at their roster and see that exact strategy. I'm not saying other GMs haven't said it, but he says it constantly. All I'm saying is that based on his comments and track record, I think he's serious about not going crazy in FA.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The difference with Ballard is that he came from KC where you can look at their roster and see that exact strategy. I'm not saying other GMs haven't said it, but he says it constantly. All I'm saying is that based on his comments and track record, I think he's serious about not going crazy in FA.

He was not GM in KC. He has never been a GM so he has no track record. 

14 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Vontae Davis makes 9m a year.   How well do you think it would set with him and the team to bring in a guy like Bouye and have to pay him 11-13m ?    You cant just say # it and sign guys and not worry about the reaction from the rest of the team.   Bouye is NOT better than Davis.  And in no way should make more than him on this team.   It's going to be bad enough when he realizes that he needs to renegotiate because of these big contracts some of the lesser CB's are getting.

There is more to just signing a guy than writing the check.  He has to be a fit for the team and he also has to not cause tension because of the money he is being paid....  Ballard said this himself

This year he was, and you know the other years aren't comparable. Bouye would be our number 1. If Vontae didn't like it then I guess he likes having NO help. So Bouye broke out this year. He is better than Davis. Bouye was maybe the best corner in the NFL this year bro.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

This year he was, and you know the other years aren't comparable. Bouye would be our number 1. If Vontae didn't like it then I guess he likes having NO help. So Bouye broke out this year. He is better than Davis. Bouye was maybe the best corner in the NFL this year bro.

BEST CORNER IN THE LEAGUE?????

I beg to differ

Richard Sherman

Patrick Petersen

Chris Harris Jr

Marcus Peters

Josh Norman

Janoris Jenkins

Adam Jones

Xavier Rhodes

aquib Talib

Jalen Ramsey