Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UKColt's Valentine's Day Mock Offseason (With Trades)

I know I've posted a few of these already but I have the week off work and I'm sad and lonely enough that this genuinely is one of my favourite things to do. Hope you guys enjoy. 

Initial estimated cap space: $64.4mil (Figure taken from Spotrac)

Cuts:

Art Jones - saves $5.2mil

Patrick Robinson - saves $2.5mil - Bust Grigson signing, I'm thinking CB moves on.

Updated cap space: $73.1mil

Resign:

Erik Walden - 3 years, $13mil - For no other reason than that the cupboard is otherwise bare at OLB

Robert Turbin - 2 years, $3.5mil

Darius Butler - 2 years, $4.5mil

Mike Adams - 1 year, $2mil

Would love to bring back Doyle but I think he'll want to go for more money elsewhere on the open market where he can be the no.1 TE instead of playing second fiddle. We still have Allen and Swoope left.

Extend:

Donte Moncrief - 4 years, $26mil - Level with what Mohammed Sanu got from Atlanta last year.

Jack Mewhort - 5 years, $35mil - Level with what Josh Sitton got from Chicago last year.

Updated cap space: $50.27mil

Free Agency:

Zach Brown - 4 years, $32mil - Steps in as our starting MIKE and centre of the D. Replaces and upgrades DQ.

AJ Bouye - 5 years, $55mil - We have a big decision on Vontae next year. Houston already has a lot of money tied up in DBs. Bouye immediately upgrades CB#2 with a 2nd potential lockdown CB. He could replace Vontae should we decide to let him walk after next season.

Melvin Ingram - 5 years, $65mil - Instant impact starter at Rush LB.

Luke Joeckel - 2 years, $6mil - Labelled as a high draft bust. Prove it contract to see if Philbin, an overall better offense and a change of scenery can inject some life back into his career, maybe as a RG/RT. Has all the athleticism just need the technique. Low risk with a potential good payoff, could even cut him after training camp if it's evident that he won't work out.

I think Ballard will be looking to be more surgical in FA and less scatter-shot. Quality over quantity. Adds 3 quality defensive starters.

Updated cap space: $15.27mil remaining. Use some for draft picks and UDFAs. Save the rest.

Draft: I'm an optimist. We pick 14th. I'm projecting 2 draft trades this time around. 1. Trade back in the 1st with Oakland to #24. We receive #24 and #56 (2nd) in return. Oakland may want to look at Dalvin Cook. Since Del Rio spent years riding Maurice Jones-Drew in Jacksonville, he might want to take a young reliable runner like Dalvin; 2. Trade #56 and #78 to Chicago in return for #36. Chicago are rebuilding and may want to trade back in order to grab more meaningful picks. Overall the 2 trades equal out to a trade back 10 spots in the 1st in exchange for a leap from the mid 3rd to the early 2nd. Trades worked out via the PFF Draft Value Chart.

Round 1 (#24 from Oakland): Taco Charlton - OLB/DE - Michigan - 6'6 270lbs - Size, speed, athleticism and twitch. Sums up Taco. Still growing into his body and has room to add more bulk in the weight room. He has the potential to play either OLB or 5 tech for us (if he adds the necessary bulk). Has all the athletic traits to play OLB in the bigs. He has good pass rushing skills already although still has room to develop. The run game skills will come with either a move to OLB where he won't get out muscled nearly as much, or adding some more bulk and functional strength as a 5-tech. He is not a finished product yet as he is just scratching the surface of his potential but his ceiling is pretty scary for opposing offenses.

Round 2 (#36 from Chicago): Christian McCaffrey - RB - Stanford - 6' 200lbs - Lightning in a bottle. He is not going to be a bellcow due to his lack of ideal size. But this selection for me is right guy, right place, right time. Runs with multiple gears and is able to gear up or down instantly. Smooth, controlled stride length with choppy feet for instant cuts and change of direction. Plus vision with above average anticipatory feel for opening creases. Has experience in one-back, two-back and offset formations. Excellent hands out of backfield and can be used from slot. Devastating quickness out of breaks can mismatch linebackers and the occasional safety. Experienced and very capable punt and kick returner. Taking McCaffrey, who accounted for an alarming percentage of Stanford's total offense last year, both on the ground and as a receiver and return man, gives Chud options. He is a 15-20 touch player who acts as the lightning to Gore's thunder and acts as a quality relief player, especially late on in games against tired defenses. He's a player who you can bend to fit any gameplan week-to-week. He'll run well at the combine and if NE don't take him at #32 (Personally I doubt they will considering their depth at RB) then I think he'd be a great pick here.

Round 2 (#46): Anthony Walker Jr - ILB - Northwestern - 6'1 245lbs - Speedy, coverage ILB. If Jarrad Davis is there then he's the pick, but his stock is trending up towards the bottom of the 1st round. Walker would be an excellent complement to Zach Brown as the WILL ILB. Reminds me a bit of Bucs linebacker Lavonte David. Like David, Walker has the ability to be a three-down starter, and an asset in defending against passing attacks and the ground game. He has shown an impressive ability to cover backs out of the backfield, and in the 2015 season opener, he was running stride for stride with Christian McCaffrey on routes out of the backfield. Walker has the ability to cover in man, but really is excellent in zone. Plays with balanced eyes in coverage, darting between his coverage area and the quarterback's eyes. Crowds target in his area, but willing to come off and hustle to a passing lane if he reads a pass. He flashes a burst gear to close out runners looking to get to the corner. He's a smart player with terrific work ethic. Also considered a great teammate and leader. Has 16 passes defensed over his three years. Walker's issues usually come against the run, although he has packed on some more muscle more recently so those issues may need revising. But playing in the TE happy AFC, he's an excellent fit as a coverage LB with room to be a more complete player down the road.    

Round 4: Damontae Kazee - CB - San Diego St. - 5'10 183lbs - Corner who's mix of pros and cons make him a good fit as a nickelback. Named Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year the last 2 years running. Boasts excellent ball skills and wants to make a play on every ball thrown his way. Highly instinctive with a taste for turnovers. Posted 43 passes defended over the last three years including 16 interceptions during that time. Active and downhill in his run support. His perceived lack of deep speed will drop him out of the top 2 tiers of the CB class, and if he fails to surprise at the combine he could well drop to the 4th. Stat hunters may look earlier. His mechanics, including his back pedal, could use work but the instincts, awareness and hand-eye coordination are all there. Just up to the coaches to bring those mechanics up to scratch and could be a very effective replacement for Butler at nickelback.

Round 4 (Comp Pick): Tyus Bowser - OLB/DE - Houston - 6'3 240lbs - Defensive End in his freshman and sophomore years, moved to OLB full time in his junior and senior seasons. Explosive, quick-twitch athlete. Bursts out of his stance and challenges the edge. Needs to get better with his hands at the point of attack. His pass rush is built around athleticism and not enough around rush moves and skill. Has experience being dropped into zone coverage. Played two years of college basketball at Houston which shows up with his footwork and fluidity when dropping into space. At this point he is a high upside, low risk prospect. If he can land somewhere where he is not thrust into the starting spot straight away, and continue to learn the intricacies of his position from experienced players like Walden and Ingram, he could have a bright future.

Round 5: Ryan Glasgow - DT - Michigan - 6'3 300lbs - Tough, gritty 5-tech. Big brother Graham starred at Michigan and now plays Offensive Line for Lions. Muscular and rugged with no bad weight on his frame. Has power in his upper body and uses a powerful club move along with a pull-and-shuck technique to get rid of blockers. Powerful, heavy tackler in the run game. True NFL power across from him could limit his effectiveness early on. Not a natural knee bender, which limits his athletic movements in tight quarters and as a pass rusher. He wants in on the action at all times and is at his best when he's able to play the man in front of him rather than having to get involved with Michigan's constantly twisting defensive front. His rock 'em, sock 'em approach should appeal to defensive line coaches looking for high effort depth along their defensive front, but his inability to rush at an NFL level means he's unlikely to be more than a two-down player early on, which could slide his draft stock.

Round 6: Austin Rekhow - P - Idaho - 6'3 213lbs - Handled punting, kickoff and field goal duties at Idaho. Accuracy has continued to improve. Has hit 16 of 20 from 40-plus yards over the last two seasons. Has posted very good hang time numbers as a punter during his career. Has excellent feel for touch punts. Landed impressive total of 49.1 percent inside the 20-yard line and 28.1 percent inside the 10-yard line. His NFL future is as a punter, but his ability to handle the kickoff duties will add to his draft value. I think grabbing the best young Punter available should be a priority for our 6th rounder. Special teams superiority has long been a hallmark of our team and that should continue to be true. Winning the field position battle is big and grabbing a Punter with his feel for staking teams inside the 10 or 20 would go a long way to doing that. Some would disagree about spending a pick on a Punter. In the end I'd rather take a legit starter for us in the 6th than a camp body and cut fodder.

Depth Chart:

Offense:

QB - A Luck, S Tolzein

RB - F Gore, C McCaffrey, R Turbin, UDFA

WR - T Hilton, D Moncrief, P Dorsett, C Rogers, T Smith,

TE - D Allen, E Swoope, UDFA

OT - A Castonzo, L Clark, L Joeckel, J Reitz

OG - J Mewhort, D Good, J Haeg

C - R Kelly, A Blythe

Defense:

NT - D Parry, Z Kerr,

DT - K Langford, T McGill, H Ridgeway

DE - H Anderson, R Glasgow

SAM - E Walden, C Maggitt

RUSH - M Ingram, T Charlton, T Bowser

MIKE - Z Brown, A Morrison

WIL - A Walker, E Jackson,

CB - V Davis, AJ Bouye, D Kazee, R Melvin, UDFA

FS - D Butler, T Green, M Farley

SS - C Geathers, M Adams

Special Teams:

K - A Vinatieri

P - A Rehkow

LS - M Overton

Pretty much love everything about this.  I believe Walden gets more then that which might take him away from here, but after a solid 11 sack year I see him getting at least 7mil/year.  FA contracts seem legit as well (minus Walden).  Other than that I like everything else.  Good draft with some trades that are realistic.  Joeckel would be a decent Guard for us which is where I see him working out.  Addressed some good needs and hopefully we can make this happen.  Good offseason!

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Pretty much love everything about this.  I believe Walden gets more then that which might take him away from here, but after a solid 11 sack year I see him getting at least 7mil/year.  FA contracts seem legit as well (minus Walden).  Other than that I like everything else.  Good draft with some trades that are realistic.  Joeckel would be a decent Guard for us which is where I see him working out.  Addressed some good needs and hopefully we can make this happen.  Good offseason!

Thanks buddy.

I was thinking about Walden. If he was 3 or 4 years younger and was regularly putting up those numbers I'd say you're completely right. I'd be willing to give him 7 to stick around on a short contract though. 

50 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Thanks buddy.

I was thinking about Walden. If he was 3 or 4 years younger and was regularly putting up those numbers I'd say you're completely right. I'd be willing to give him 7 to stick around on a short contract though. 

I completely agree.  Grabbing 3 replacements is better than 4.  

There is a lot to like about this off-season. I would love if we upgrade the linebacking corps and the secondary as much as you've outlined here. 

My one nitpick (and it's a small one) would be the McCaffrey pick in the 2nd... I would rather see a DT (there should be ones available worthy of the pick) in the 2nd and maybe grab a RB later in the draft.

I don't see much value in getting a 2nd round RB and still being left with the dilemma of how to replace Gore. McCaffrey will probably shine in a thunder/lightning type of arrangement, but then we are looking for a bruiser as early as next off-season. I'd probably prefer Cook in the 1st to McCaffrey in the 2nd, but neither are ideal picks imo. 

Very good post, though. I like reading all of the mocks on here. I think that this draft and FA would go a long way toward making this defense respectable. 

I don't see what the big deal is about Taco Charlton. Is he really a 1st round pick? I could maybe get behind it if we traded back in your case #24, but at #14/15 I think he would be a reach for sure. Not sure if I like McCaffrey either. I think he's a decent college running back but he's not going to be an every down back. I'd prefer to get someone later rounds for a RB if we go that route. I don't think we need to draft any running backs in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I don't see what the big deal is about Taco Charlton. Is he really a 1st round pick? I could maybe get behind it if we traded back in your case #24, but at #14/15 I think he would be a reach for sure. Not sure if I like McCaffrey either. I think he's a decent college running back but he's not going to be an every down back. I'd prefer to get someone later rounds for a RB if we go that route. I don't think we need to draft any running backs in my opinion.

I agree on Taco, I don't like him at #14 either. But in a trade down I think he's a good option. Scary athlete with big time upside. At #14 I'd be looking at Takk McKinley on the edge but I don't think he's there at #24.

4 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

There is a lot to like about this off-season. I would love if we upgrade the linebacking corps and the secondary as much as you've outlined here. 

My one nitpick (and it's a small one) would be the McCaffrey pick in the 2nd... I would rather see a DT (there should be ones available worthy of the pick) in the 2nd and maybe grab a RB later in the draft.

I don't see much value in getting a 2nd round RB and still being left with the dilemma of how to replace Gore. McCaffrey will probably shine in a thunder/lightning type of arrangement, but then we are looking for a bruiser as early as next off-season. I'd probably prefer Cook in the 1st to McCaffrey in the 2nd, but neither are ideal picks imo. 

Very good post, though. I like reading all of the mocks on here. I think that this draft and FA would go a long way toward making this defense respectable. 

Thanks man. I think McCaffrey has the tools to be a very good pro RB. At Stanford he has not been coddled and used as a finesse only back and has been asked to provide those tough yards inside. I think some people give him a bad rap and look at his measureables and say "you're not going to be able to run inside", to that I somewhat disagree, I don't think he'll ever be a bellcow, but I think its unfair for some people to pigeonhole him as like a 3rd down only guy.

But when it comes to the thunder role after next season. I agree Gore is done. But considering the enormous amount of cap we are due to have at the end of next year, I think we can find a FA to fill that role, so we wont necessarily have to use another pick. After a quick look at Spotrac, Alfred Morris, Jeremy Hill (less likely), Carlos Hyde, James White, Jonathan Stewart and more will all be FAs and capable of filling that split time role.

I like Dalvin too. Just not willing to spend a #14 on him at this point. Not the right time. Easier to find quality at RB outside the 1st than defensive players, particularly pass rushers.

22 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I know I've posted a few of these already but I have the week off work and I'm sad and lonely enough that this genuinely is one of my favourite things to do. Hope you guys enjoy. 

Initial estimated cap space: $64.4mil (Figure taken from Spotrac)

Cuts:

Art Jones - saves $5.2mil

Patrick Robinson - saves $2.5mil - Bust Grigson signing, I'm thinking CB moves on.

Updated cap space: $73.1mil

Resign:

Erik Walden - 3 years, $13mil - For no other reason than that the cupboard is otherwise bare at OLB

Robert Turbin - 2 years, $3.5mil

Darius Butler - 2 years, $4.5mil

Mike Adams - 1 year, $2mil

Would love to bring back Doyle but I think he'll want to go for more money elsewhere on the open market where he can be the no.1 TE instead of playing second fiddle. We still have Allen and Swoope left.

Extend:

Donte Moncrief - 4 years, $26mil - Level with what Mohammed Sanu got from Atlanta last year.

Jack Mewhort - 5 years, $35mil - Level with what Josh Sitton got from Chicago last year.

Updated cap space: $50.27mil

Free Agency:

Zach Brown - 4 years, $32mil - Steps in as our starting MIKE and centre of the D. Replaces and upgrades DQ.

AJ Bouye - 5 years, $55mil - We have a big decision on Vontae next year. Houston already has a lot of money tied up in DBs. Bouye immediately upgrades CB#2 with a 2nd potential lockdown CB. He could replace Vontae should we decide to let him walk after next season.

Melvin Ingram - 5 years, $65mil - Instant impact starter at Rush LB.

Luke Joeckel - 2 years, $6mil - Labelled as a high draft bust. Prove it contract to see if Philbin, an overall better offense and a change of scenery can inject some life back into his career, maybe as a RG/RT. Has all the athleticism just need the technique. Low risk with a potential good payoff, could even cut him after training camp if it's evident that he won't work out.

I think Ballard will be looking to be more surgical in FA and less scatter-shot. Quality over quantity. Adds 3 quality defensive starters.

Updated cap space: $15.27mil remaining. Use some for draft picks and UDFAs. Save the rest.

Draft: I'm an optimist. We pick 14th. I'm projecting 2 draft trades this time around. 1. Trade back in the 1st with Oakland to #24. We receive #24 and #56 (2nd) in return. Oakland may want to look at Dalvin Cook. Since Del Rio spent years riding Maurice Jones-Drew in Jacksonville, he might want to take a young reliable runner like Dalvin; 2. Trade #56 and #78 to Chicago in return for #36. Chicago are rebuilding and may want to trade back in order to grab more meaningful picks. Overall the 2 trades equal out to a trade back 10 spots in the 1st in exchange for a leap from the mid 3rd to the early 2nd. Trades worked out via the PFF Draft Value Chart.

Round 1 (#24 from Oakland): Taco Charlton - OLB/DE - Michigan - 6'6 270lbs - Size, speed, athleticism and twitch. Sums up Taco. Still growing into his body and has room to add more bulk in the weight room. He has the potential to play either OLB or 5 tech for us (if he adds the necessary bulk). Has all the athletic traits to play OLB in the bigs. He has good pass rushing skills already although still has room to develop. The run game skills will come with either a move to OLB where he won't get out muscled nearly as much, or adding some more bulk and functional strength as a 5-tech. He is not a finished product yet as he is just scratching the surface of his potential but his ceiling is pretty scary for opposing offenses.

Round 2 (#36 from Chicago): Christian McCaffrey - RB - Stanford - 6' 200lbs - Lightning in a bottle. He is not going to be a bellcow due to his lack of ideal size. But this selection for me is right guy, right place, right time. Runs with multiple gears and is able to gear up or down instantly. Smooth, controlled stride length with choppy feet for instant cuts and change of direction. Plus vision with above average anticipatory feel for opening creases. Has experience in one-back, two-back and offset formations. Excellent hands out of backfield and can be used from slot. Devastating quickness out of breaks can mismatch linebackers and the occasional safety. Experienced and very capable punt and kick returner. Taking McCaffrey, who accounted for an alarming percentage of Stanford's total offense last year, both on the ground and as a receiver and return man, gives Chud options. He is a 15-20 touch player who acts as the lightning to Gore's thunder and acts as a quality relief player, especially late on in games against tired defenses. He's a player who you can bend to fit any gameplan week-to-week. He'll run well at the combine and if NE don't take him at #32 (Personally I doubt they will considering their depth at RB) then I think he'd be a great pick here.

Round 2 (#46): Anthony Walker Jr - ILB - Northwestern - 6'1 245lbs - Speedy, coverage ILB. If Jarrad Davis is there then he's the pick, but his stock is trending up towards the bottom of the 1st round. Walker would be an excellent complement to Zach Brown as the WILL ILB. Reminds me a bit of Bucs linebacker Lavonte David. Like David, Walker has the ability to be a three-down starter, and an asset in defending against passing attacks and the ground game. He has shown an impressive ability to cover backs out of the backfield, and in the 2015 season opener, he was running stride for stride with Christian McCaffrey on routes out of the backfield. Walker has the ability to cover in man, but really is excellent in zone. Plays with balanced eyes in coverage, darting between his coverage area and the quarterback's eyes. Crowds target in his area, but willing to come off and hustle to a passing lane if he reads a pass. He flashes a burst gear to close out runners looking to get to the corner. He's a smart player with terrific work ethic. Also considered a great teammate and leader. Has 16 passes defensed over his three years. Walker's issues usually come against the run, although he has packed on some more muscle more recently so those issues may need revising. But playing in the TE happy AFC, he's an excellent fit as a coverage LB with room to be a more complete player down the road.    

Round 4: Damontae Kazee - CB - San Diego St. - 5'10 183lbs - Corner who's mix of pros and cons make him a good fit as a nickelback. Named Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year the last 2 years running. Boasts excellent ball skills and wants to make a play on every ball thrown his way. Highly instinctive with a taste for turnovers. Posted 43 passes defended over the last three years including 16 interceptions during that time. Active and downhill in his run support. His perceived lack of deep speed will drop him out of the top 2 tiers of the CB class, and if he fails to surprise at the combine he could well drop to the 4th. Stat hunters may look earlier. His mechanics, including his back pedal, could use work but the instincts, awareness and hand-eye coordination are all there. Just up to the coaches to bring those mechanics up to scratch and could be a very effective replacement for Butler at nickelback.

Round 4 (Comp Pick): Tyus Bowser - OLB/DE - Houston - 6'3 240lbs - Defensive End in his freshman and sophomore years, moved to OLB full time in his junior and senior seasons. Explosive, quick-twitch athlete. Bursts out of his stance and challenges the edge. Needs to get better with his hands at the point of attack. His pass rush is built around athleticism and not enough around rush moves and skill. Has experience being dropped into zone coverage. Played two years of college basketball at Houston which shows up with his footwork and fluidity when dropping into space. At this point he is a high upside, low risk prospect. If he can land somewhere where he is not thrust into the starting spot straight away, and continue to learn the intricacies of his position from experienced players like Walden and Ingram, he could have a bright future.

Round 5: Ryan Glasgow - DT - Michigan - 6'3 300lbs - Tough, gritty 5-tech. Big brother Graham starred at Michigan and now plays Offensive Line for Lions. Muscular and rugged with no bad weight on his frame. Has power in his upper body and uses a powerful club move along with a pull-and-shuck technique to get rid of blockers. Powerful, heavy tackler in the run game. True NFL power across from him could limit his effectiveness early on. Not a natural knee bender, which limits his athletic movements in tight quarters and as a pass rusher. He wants in on the action at all times and is at his best when he's able to play the man in front of him rather than having to get involved with Michigan's constantly twisting defensive front. His rock 'em, sock 'em approach should appeal to defensive line coaches looking for high effort depth along their defensive front, but his inability to rush at an NFL level means he's unlikely to be more than a two-down player early on, which could slide his draft stock.

Round 6: Austin Rekhow - P - Idaho - 6'3 213lbs - Handled punting, kickoff and field goal duties at Idaho. Accuracy has continued to improve. Has hit 16 of 20 from 40-plus yards over the last two seasons. Has posted very good hang time numbers as a punter during his career. Has excellent feel for touch punts. Landed impressive total of 49.1 percent inside the 20-yard line and 28.1 percent inside the 10-yard line. His NFL future is as a punter, but his ability to handle the kickoff duties will add to his draft value. I think grabbing the best young Punter available should be a priority for our 6th rounder. Special teams superiority has long been a hallmark of our team and that should continue to be true. Winning the field position battle is big and grabbing a Punter with his feel for staking teams inside the 10 or 20 would go a long way to doing that. Some would disagree about spending a pick on a Punter. In the end I'd rather take a legit starter for us in the 6th than a camp body and cut fodder.

Depth Chart:

Offense:

QB - A Luck, S Tolzein

RB - F Gore, C McCaffrey, R Turbin, UDFA

WR - T Hilton, D Moncrief, P Dorsett, C Rogers, T Smith,

TE - D Allen, E Swoope, UDFA

OT - A Castonzo, L Clark, L Joeckel, J Reitz

OG - J Mewhort, D Good, J Haeg

C - R Kelly, A Blythe

Defense:

NT - D Parry, Z Kerr,

DT - K Langford, T McGill, H Ridgeway

DE - H Anderson, R Glasgow

SAM - E Walden, C Maggitt

RUSH - M Ingram, T Charlton, T Bowser

MIKE - Z Brown, A Morrison

WIL - A Walker, E Jackson,

CB - V Davis, AJ Bouye, D Kazee, R Melvin, UDFA

FS - D Butler, T Green, M Farley

SS - C Geathers, M Adams

Special Teams:

K - A Vinatieri

P - A Rehkow

LS - M Overton

Have you thought of doing this instead of letting Jack Doyle walk, cut dawyne Allen, eat the 3mil signing bonus save the 2.9mil roster bonus, and instead of the 6mil/yr we offer Jack 8-9mil/yr. Jack is so much better, and IMO Erik swope is better then Dwayne. The injuries got to him and he will never be the same. Also erik Walden is not serviceable if we hit on Ingram in FA and then dract Taco which I Love!!!! No need to re sign Walden move on we are re building the D. Love everything else about this, might wait a Lil on RB but I love the trade backs this draft is so deep at our specific needs why not get an extra 2nd if a team wants to move up.

Good stuff brotha #fortheshoe

I'm one of the few that think Mcaffrey can be a 3 down back. He's up the gut at Stanford alot and doesn't really fail. At 6'0 200 pounds his speed and vision I think he's gunna do some special things in the league. Plus we keep Turbin who's an excellent 3rd down back. I like the draft though, not big on bouye I'd rather have trumain Johnson but that's just personally. I would be pretty happy with this

9 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Have you thought of doing this instead of letting Jack Doyle walk, cut dawyne Allen, eat the 3mil signing bonus save the 2.9mil roster bonus, and instead of the 6mil/yr we offer Jack 8-9mil/yr. Jack is so much better, and IMO Erik swope is better then Dwayne. The injuries got to him and he will never be the same. Also erik Walden is not serviceable if we hit on Ingram in FA and then dract Taco which I Love!!!! No need to re sign Walden move on we are re building the D. Love everything else about this, might wait a Lil on RB but I love the trade backs this draft is so deep at our specific needs why not get an extra 2nd if a team wants to move up.

I'm not sure on Allen. Depends on what CB sees when he looks at TE. I would like to keep Doyle but I don't think he wants to play second fiddle anymore.

When it comes to Walden because we aren't changing schemes, I think Walden has performed 'okay'. I'd like to keep Walden on a short contract just for a little continuation. We have a softness on our defense right now, personally I don't see him as being one of those players. I think Taco would benefit most from being a role guy to start with since he is still finding his game and will be moving positions to OLB. I'd like him to rotate in and out with Walden to start with. For all the cap we have, I think signing Walden is a necessary move rather than a 'good' move.

Thanks anyway :thmup:

26 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I agree with Allen. I'll keep saying it until it happens. Cut or trade him. Doyle caught 59 passes for 584 yards and 5 TDs this past season. I think if you pay him and give him more opportunities by getting rid of Allen, he's easily a 800-1,000 yard TE. He catches everything that comes his way. You don't let a guy like that walk in favor of a guy who's just a really good blocker.

11 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I'm not sure on Allen. Depends on what CB sees when he looks at TE. I would like to keep Doyle but I don't think he wants to play second fiddle anymore.

When it comes to Walden because we aren't changing schemes, I think Walden has performed 'okay'. I'd like to keep Walden on a short contract just for a little continuation. We have a softness on our defense right now, personally I don't see him as being one of those players. I think Taco would benefit most from being a role guy to start with since he is still finding his game and will be moving positions to OLB. I'd like him to rotate in and out with Walden to start with. For all the cap we have, I think signing Walden is a necessary move rather than a 'good' move.

Thanks anyway :thmup:

How is he second fiddle after we cut Dwayne Allen? But I guess CB could value Dwayne idk why he's had an injury every year since his rookie year. IMO at least its pretty clear Jack Doyle is the better TE in ever aspect of the game. And with Erik Walden, if we really dont think Taco is ready then why take him round 1? Idk we agree to disagree on Walden becuz any 1st round edge in this years class beats him out in training camp IMO. Plus hes 32 to start next year, a year into that contract he's 33 and probably lost all explosion.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I agree with Allen. I'll keep saying it until it happens. Cut or trade him. Doyle caught 59 passes for 584 yards and 5 TDs this past season. I think if you pay him and give him more opportunities by getting rid of Allen, he's easily a 800-1,000 yard TE. He catches everything that comes his way. You don't let a guy like that walk in favor of a guy who's just a really good blocker.

Doyle is such an under rated blocker! Not saying your implying that, but Doyle's technique is way better then Dwayne's he's just stronger. I'm done with Dwayne, he's our 3rd best TE and gets paid like he's a top 10 TE in the entire league! Another grigson disaster

4 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

How is he second fiddle after we cut Dwayne Allen? But I guess CB could value Dwayne idk why he's had an injury every year since his rookie year. IMO at least its pretty clear Jack Doyle is the better TE in ever aspect of the game. And with Erik Walden, if we really dont think Taco is ready then why take him round 1? Idk we agree to disagree on Walden becuz any 1st round edge in this years class beats him out in training camp IMO. Plus hes 32 to start next year, a year into that contract he's 33 and probably lost all explosion.

I wasn't saying he would be. But if CB decides to keep Dwayne (pretty likely) then I don't see Doyle staying to play second fiddle. Please don't take tis as me saying 'Allen is better than Doyle' because he isn't. I think Doyle will get a really good offer from someone other than us. A shame, but that's what I can see in my crystal ball.

Taco is a potential based prospect. He reminds me a lot of Ziggy Ansah coming out. Has outstanding physicals, everything else is coachable. I think he's a 1st round pick unless he has a bad day at the combine. I wouldn't take him at #14 because there will be more complete players there, but If he reaches anything close to his potential he's a 10-12 sack guy. We've never had a truly athletic OLB and considering CB just came from a team where he had Justin Houston, Tamba Hali and Dee Ford, I'm thinking CB will like his potential as a pass rusher.

10 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I wasn't saying he would be. But if CB decides to keep Dwayne (pretty likely) then I don't see Doyle staying to play second fiddle. Please don't take tis as me saying 'Allen is better than Doyle' because he isn't. I think Doyle will get a really good offer from someone other than us. A shame, but that's what I can see in my crystal ball.

Taco is a potential based prospect. He reminds me a lot of Ziggy Ansah coming out. Has outstanding physicals, everything else is coachable. I think he's a 1st round pick unless he has a bad day at the combine. I wouldn't take him at #14 because there will be more complete players there, but If he reaches anything close to his potential he's a 10-12 sack guy. We've never had a truly athletic OLB and considering CB just came from a team where he had Justin Houston, Tamba Hali and Dee Ford, I'm thinking CB will like his potential as a pass rusher.

Well my man no disrespect at all but take that crystal ball and smash it!! haha I pray that's not what happens, CB didn't give Dwayne that awful contract so I dont see him just living with it. I'm glad you realize Jack is better, so let's keep around the better talent and hopefully a team can utilize Dwayne Allen, that team not being us. I totally agree on your analysis on Taco, except that he's not ready. I feel you tho, maybe a 1 year deal for Walden as a "just in case" type role, getting reps here and there. But I don't want us to be blinded by his 11 sack year and waste valuable money.

47 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Well my man no disrespect at all but take that crystal ball and smash it!! haha I pray that's not what happens, CB didn't give Dwayne that awful contract so I dont see him just living with it. I'm glad you realize Jack is better, so let's keep around the better talent and hopefully a team can utilize Dwayne Allen, that team not being us. I totally agree on your analysis on Taco, except that he's not ready. I feel you tho, maybe a 1 year deal for Walden as a "just in case" type role, getting reps here and there. But I don't want us to be blinded by his 11 sack year and waste valuable money.

You keep referring to keeping or not keeping Walden based on this possible offseason.  Walden is the SAM and if we grab Ingram you have you sides solidified for the most part.  Drafting Taco gives you someone who might come off of either side but also having Walden still for at least 2 years (he is not signing a 1 year deal coming off his best season and this being his likely last contract) gives you depth with a veteran presence as well.  You do not just bring new guys in (FA and draft) and hope everything meshes well.  You have to keep some talent that is use to the scheme and system IMO.

As for Allen, I hope CB dumps that contract because he does not seem to be someone who can stay healthy.  Keep the guy that just showed you the true potential he has and try to do something with Allen.  I doubt anyone trades for him since he is does not have a lot behind him right now, but we can find a team with a player that might help us with depth.  

Love this only thing I personally would change and this would be extremely picky is the 46th selection. I hope a decent corner like White or Tankersley is available so we would have an instant replacement for when Vontae leaves making Bouye the #1 and a decent #2.

5 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

You keep referring to keeping or not keeping Walden based on this possible offseason.  Walden is the SAM and if we grab Ingram you have you sides solidified for the most part.  Drafting Taco gives you someone who might come off of either side but also having Walden still for at least 2 years (he is not signing a 1 year deal coming off his best season and this being his likely last contract) gives you depth with a veteran presence as well.  You do not just bring new guys in (FA and draft) and hope everything meshes well.  You have to keep some talent that is use to the scheme and system IMO.

As for Allen, I hope CB dumps that contract because he does not seem to be someone who can stay healthy.  Keep the guy that just showed you the true potential he has and try to do something with Allen.  I doubt anyone trades for him since he is does not have a lot behind him right now, but we can find a team with a player that might help us with depth.  

Ingram plays the Sam too. We just disagree on Erik Walden being talented I mean he does nothing well IMO. Like I said earlier, Taco beats Erik Walden out week 2 of training camp easily. If they are competing for the Will, where you ultimately want a pass rusher, Taco wins all day. He's not a development guy, hes not a guy you draft in the 1st round and sit on for 2 years he's a stud and he's just simply better then Walden ever was. Walden may have had a career year, but his career isn't all that impressive anyways. The Defense has no mess to begin with, why keep what has proven on the field that they can't get the job done?

15 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Ingram plays the Sam too. We just disagree on Erik Walden being talented I mean he does nothing well IMO. Like I said earlier, Taco beats Erik Walden out week 2 of training camp easily. If they are competing for the Will, where you ultimately want a pass rusher, Taco wins all day. He's not a development guy, hes not a guy you draft in the 1st round and sit on for 2 years he's a stud and he's just simply better then Walden ever was. Walden may have had a career year, but his career isn't all that impressive anyways. The Defense has no mess to begin with, why keep what has proven on the field that they can't get the job done?

I cannot disagree with you and hope any 1st round Edge guy would beat Walden out day 1.  I would be ok to keep him for depth and presence plus allow him situational playing time.  He was not as bad as you portray IMO but he also is not a key strength.  If I were CB I would offer a contract for somewhere around 3 years/$20-$24mil. But make it an easy contract to dump after a year or two.  My thing is if I am drafting an Edge player like Taco I want him rushing the passer and not just setting the edge like Walden.  Taco would be on the other side and probably rotating with Ingram unless you are putting Ingram in Walden's spot.

On 2/16/2017 at 6:52 AM, DaColts85 said:

I cannot disagree with you and hope any 1st round Edge guy would beat Walden out day 1.  I would be ok to keep him for depth and presence plus allow him situational playing time.  He was not as bad as you portray IMO but he also is not a key strength.  If I were CB I would offer a contract for somewhere around 3 years/$20-$24mil. But make it an easy contract to dump after a year or two.  My thing is if I am drafting an Edge player like Taco I want him rushing the passer and not just setting the edge like Walden.  Taco would be on the other side and probably rotating with Ingram unless you are putting Ingram in Walden's spot.

I get keeping him for depth and I wouldn't be apposed to it, but not for 7 mil/yr. If were keeping him he's getting exactly what his last contract was and not a dollar more. 4 mil/yr is all he deserves and if he wants to test the market that's fine, he won't find much better