Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bethea 2012

CR91

Outstanding video of our Safety stud!!! With Bethea, Angerer, Nevis, and even Fili Moala as a 3-4 DE we have young pieces on defense to build upon and Im sure Pagano will get the best out of them.

I really hope Pagano uses Bethea like he used Ed Reed.

I just hope we can somehow get SS Mark Barron in the draft without giving up too much to get him if we have to trade up a little. Getting Barron with Bethea would make this safety tandem the best in the NFL.

Outstanding video of our Safety stud!!! With Bethea, Angerer, Nevis, and even Fili Moala as a 3-4 DE we have young pieces on defense to build upon and Im sure Pagano will get the best out of them.

I just hope we can somehow get SS Mark Barron in the draft without giving up too much to get him if we have to trade up a little. Getting Barron with Bethea would make this safety tandem the best in the NFL.

And I'd add CB Jerraud Powers to that list too if he can stay healthy. Pagano could make Powers into a stud like he did with Ladarius Webb.

We just need a good NT and another Safety to play alongside bethea and another CB to play with Powers to make this defense just about complete. Nevis and Moala can play 3-4 DE.

And I'd add CB Jerraud Powers to that list too if he can stay healthy. Pagano could make Powers into a stud like he did with Ladarius Webb.

We just need a good NT and another Safety to play alongside bethea and another CB to play with Powers to make this defense just about complete. Nevis and Moala can play 3-4 DE.

Why do you think Drake Nevis can play 3-4 DE? He's not a stout 2 gap D-lineman at all, he is a 3-tech 1 gap penetrator. The only NFL team that ran a 1-gap 3-4 defense last year that I can think of was the Texan's. I hope and think we stay in a 4-3 defense, I like it better than the 3-4 defense anyways.

21isSuperman don't hate me for this, but I always liked Antoine better than Bob. His durability and ball hawking talent are among the best in the league

I love both, but they were different type of players. If Bob could stay healthy, no one was better at what he can bring to the table.

Ive said this on a few other posts, but I want Bob back to retire as a Colt. We could get him around vet minimum with maybe some bonuses for playing a certain amount of games. Adds depth, experience and leadership to a young defense. And if he can play in close to a dozen games he can really make an impact. I still want a young player like Barron, but i want Bob too if even in a rotation or situational capacity.

Why do you think Drake Nevis can play 3-4 DE? He's not a stout 2 gap D-lineman at all, he is a 3-tech 1 gap penetrator. The only NFL team that ran a 1-gap 3-4 defense last year that I can think of was the Texan's. I hope and think we stay in a 4-3 defense, I like it better than the 3-4 defense anyways.

You're definitely right about Nevis. Dude is a 4-3 UT all the way. There is a big difference between a 4-3 DT and a 3-4 DE. In the 3-4 the ends need to have some length to them, and Nevis is about as short and stocky as they come.

That said, Pagano would be operating something of a hybrid, from what I gather. In a 3-4 the DEs would likely be Moala and Anderson. Both of whom have the perfect builds for such a scheme. Nevis would come in to spell one of them and we'd go to more of a 4-3 or maybe a 46 defense.

Well that type of defense did a pretty nice job in a transition year none the less. Hybrid, think hybrid. Whatever we get, I will be happy not to ever hear the words muttled doughnuts, I need more....wait, I mean "we do what we do". If the defense can adjust on the fly as the game developes and game plan before and at halftime, we will have a more interesting game. We may not win 14-15 games every year but if we play exciting ball, I will be a happy customer. I am excited at the possibilty of an exciting defense coming into Indy and if the offense plays super as well, thats just going to be a bonus.

Even with the uncertainty with PM or who will be our QB next year, I'm extremely excited for this season to start. I want to see what our D is going to be like this year. Bethea has always been underrated and at the top of my D favorites, as well as Angerer. I love watching those 2 play!

I love both, but they were different type of players. If Bob could stay healthy, no one was better at what he can bring to the table.

Ive said this on a few other posts, but I want Bob back to retire as a Colt. We could get him around vet minimum with maybe some bonuses for playing a certain amount of games. Adds depth, experience and leadership to a young defense. And if he can play in close to a dozen games he can really make an impact. I still want a young player like Barron, but i want Bob too if even in a rotation or situational capacity.

You and me both, I definitely want to sign Bob Sanders to a cheap contract, even if we draft Mark Barron. The risk is low, but the reward is very high.

You're definitely right about Nevis. Dude is a 4-3 UT all the way. There is a big difference between a 4-3 DT and a 3-4 DE. In the 3-4 the ends need to have some length to them, and Nevis is about as short and stocky as they come.

That said, Pagano would be operating something of a hybrid, from what I gather. In a 3-4 the DEs would likely be Moala and Anderson. Both of whom have the perfect builds for such a scheme. Nevis would come in to spell one of them and we'd go to more of a 4-3 or maybe a 46 defense.

That's not a very effective use of the players or the talent on this team. Moala and Anderson might be decent 3-4 DE's, but that's nothing compared to a very good DT rotation in a 4-3. That's why I want us to stay in a 4-3 defense, where we can use 3-down lineman packages against the pass and for exotic blitzes. I don't think it's a good idea at all to switch to a base 2 gap 3-4 defense. It just doesn't effectively use the players on this team.

Mmm if we could draft Barron (it's not impossible he falls to 2nd round) then it'd complement Bethea so well, it'd be scary. Brilliant, brilliant player though.

barron would be nice, but i really want us to pick up landry. im also hoping that jeffery falls to us in the second if reggie leaves.

I said the same thing our secondary would go from worst 2 first if we picked up barron.... i also added donte hightower but i mite be pushin it there

That's not a very effective use of the players or the talent on this team. Moala and Anderson might be decent 3-4 DE's, but that's nothing compared to a very good DT rotation in a 4-3. That's why I want us to stay in a 4-3 defense, where we can use 3-down lineman packages against the pass and for exotic blitzes. I don't think it's a good idea at all to switch to a base 2 gap 3-4 defense. It just doesn't effectively use the players on this team.

Many think the 3-4 would be an easy switch to make, the colts could but they would need 3 new d linemen. I think the 4-3 under with a base 4-3 would be better myself, unless indy drafts for the 3-4 with most draft picks.

I agree that's why I said it will be a hybrid scheme. We won't be strictly a 4-3 Cover 2 anymore, but we also won't be a 2 Gap 3-4 either. It'll be a combination of both. I'd say it would all depend on who the opponent is and who's healthy. The coaches will adapt to their players and put them in the best position to succeed. They'll probably do both in the base package but it won't be a one or the other type thing. If we play Freeney as an OLB in the 3-4 though, I think we would see him not taking himself out of run plays as often. He'll be there to control the edge rather than running right around the OT and being a nonfactor.

As long as we get a true NT whether it be in the draft or free agency, I don't see any reason we're unable to effectively play some 3-4.

I agree that's why I said it will be a hybrid scheme. We won't be strictly a 4-3 Cover 2 anymore, but we also won't be a 2 Gap 3-4 either. It'll be a combination of both. I'd say it would all depend on who the opponent is and who's healthy. The coaches will adapt to their players and put them in the best position to succeed. They'll probably do both in the base package but it won't be a one or the other type thing. If we play Freeney as an OLB in the 3-4 though, I think we would see him not taking himself out of run plays as often. He'll be there to control the edge rather than running right around the OT and being a nonfactor.

As long as we get a true NT whether it be in the draft or free agency, I don't see any reason we're unable to effectively play some 3-4.

I think your missing my point a bit, I don't think the colts shouldn't go to a 2-gap 3-4 at all. We don't have the D-line personell or at least 1 big ILB to do it. I'd be fine with using the 3-4 as an exotic blitzing formation, or a 3 down lineman set spread out wide with Freeney, Nevis, and Mathis as another exotic blitzing formation. It's not necessarily just the formation, it's mainly the scheme. I agree that the coaches need to put the best players in the best position to succeed, but I think a 2-gap defense will put the players at a disadvantage, even if it's for just 1 play a game.