Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everyone's favorite time of the year

The good old seven months of offeason, and about a million different mock threads. I don't do too many of these, but I like to do a couple so I can document how right or wrong I was in the future.

Current cap space for 2017 plus rollover: $57M

Cuts:

Arthur Jones - $6.25M (June 1st cut)

D'Qwell Jackson - $5.55M

Cap with cuts: $68.8M

Re-sign:

Mike Adams - 1Y/2M - Getting old but he's been very solid since he's been here

Trent Cole - 1Y/2.5M - Not a popular opinion but I don't think he's been bad when he's been healthy, better than Walden. 

Darius Butler - 1Y/3M - Had probably his best year in 2016, but not worth gambling more than we spent last year.

Jack Doyle - 4Y/26M - No idea what to expect for him in free agency. If anyone would give a hometown discount it'd be a hometown boy though.

I'd also keep Turbin, Todman, Harrison, Kerr, and Swoope, but they'll all be minimal contracts so I'm not counting them against the cap.

Cap with cuts and re-signings: $54.3M

Sign:

Melvin Ingram OLB - 4Y/50M - With only 8 sacks this year and 10.5 last year, I sure hope we wouldn't have to pay him more. He's better than his sack numbers, and hopefully he wants to get away from that god forsaken franchise. (12M cap hit)

Zach Brown LB - 3Y/14M - Giving him a little more than Freeman got last year, just on the basis of being younger. He had a breakout year with the Bills, but it was only one year so he'll probably overestimate his worth. (3M cap hit)

Brandon Williams NT - 4Y/24M - Looking around the league at other big, fat, 1 Tech run stuffers, I'm thinking $6M a year is fair for him. He is not Damon Harrison, but he is a very good Nose. (6M cap hit)

Trumaine Johnson CB - 3Y/22M - Didn't have the year he did last year, but I don't believe he was tested as much. Should be happy to get away from the Rams. (7M cap hit)

Cap after signings: $26.3M

Leaves us plenty of room if we need to throw more money at some of these guys, but I think we'd be in pretty good shape going into the draft.

Draft:

Round 1 - Derek Barnett OLB - If he's not there I go with Cordrea Tankersley or Reuben Foster. I wouldn't reach on Tim Williams, I think he drops to the second anyway.

Round 2 -  Jarrad Davis LB

Round 3 - Kevin King CB/S

Round 4 - Ryan Glasgow DT

I'll look into later round guys in the future, but I'm feeling lazy right now. I'd like to grab a RB in the later rounds. Really not a fan of spending early picks on them.

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think your quite a bit off on the free-agent signings, especially T. Johnson. However, don`t disagree with any of your choices in FA or the draft. Not bad, but I like to see Colts get a RB somewhat early, but not the 1st Rd. Nice work!

Yeah, I sometimes have a hard time projecting what someone will get, but I'm okay with throwing him a few more shekels.

3 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

The good old seven months of offeason, and about a million different mock threads. I don't do too many of these, but I like to do a couple so I can document how right or wrong I was in the future.

Current cap space for 2017 plus rollover: $57M

Cuts:

Arthur Jones - $6.25M (June 1st cut)

D'Qwell Jackson - $5.55M

Cap with cuts: $68.8M

Re-sign:

Mike Adams - 1Y/2M - Getting old but he's been very solid since he's been here

Trent Cole - 1Y/2.5M - Not a popular opinion but I don't think he's been bad when he's been healthy, better than Walden. 

Darius Butler - 1Y/3M - Had probably his best year in 2016, but not worth gambling more than we spent last year.

Jack Doyle - 4Y/26M - No idea what to expect for him in free agency. If anyone would give a hometown discount it'd be a hometown boy though.

I'd also keep Turbin, Todman, Harrison, Kerr, and Swoope, but they'll all be minimal contracts so I'm not counting them against the cap.

Cap with cuts and re-signings: $54.3M

Sign:

Melvin Ingram OLB - 4Y/50M - With only 8 sacks this year and 10.5 last year, I sure hope we wouldn't have to pay him more. He's better than his sack numbers, and hopefully he wants to get away from that god forsaken franchise. (12M cap hit)

Zach Brown LB - 3Y/14M - Giving him a little more than Freeman got last year, just on the basis of being younger. He had a breakout year with the Bills, but it was only one year so he'll probably overestimate his worth. (3M cap hit)

Brandon Williams NT - 4Y/24M - Looking around the league at other big, fat, 1 Tech run stuffers, I'm thinking $6M a year is fair for him. He is not Damon Harrison, but he is a very good Nose. (6M cap hit)

Trumaine Johnson CB - 3Y/22M - Didn't have the year he did last year, but I don't believe he was tested as much. Should be happy to get away from the Rams. (7M cap hit)

Cap after signings: $26.3M

Leaves us plenty of room if we need to throw more money at some of these guys, but I think we'd be in pretty good shape going into the draft.

Draft:

Round 1 - Derek Barnett OLB - If he's not there I go with Cordrea Tankersley or Reuben Foster. I wouldn't reach on Tim Williams, I think he drops to the second anyway.

Round 2 -  Jarrad Davis LB

Round 3 - Kevin King CB/S

Round 4 - Ryan Glasgow DT

I'll look into later round guys in the future, but I'm feeling lazy right now. I'd like to grab a RB in the later rounds. Really not a fan of spending early picks on them.

I don't see the Colts letting Walden leave.     And I don't see us bringing back Coles.

I think the money you project for Boyle is roughly the maximum.    We may be able to get him for less.

The signings of Ingraham and Brown I think are great,  though I suspect Brown is going to command more than that.

I regret to say that I don't think the signings of Williams and Johnson are anywhere close to being realistic.   Williams will likely get 5 years and maybe 50 percent more....     so, perhaps 5 and 40 give or take.

And since Truman just played on the franchise tag of 12.5,  I know he had a poor year,  but the chances of him settling for 3/22 and roughly right around zero.     Besides,  I'm not sure how much he's a man corner, or a zone corner,  so that will have to be checked out.     But the money is way too low.    Gotta believe someone will throw at least 4/40 at him and maybe more.....

To the draft....   I think Barnett is possible...   I'm just not sure he can convert to a 3-4 OLB?    I think Davis will likely be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round,  maybe in the 1st round.      Same with King.    Likely be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd....

It's an interesting mock and I know you put a lot of effort in it....    and that's always appreciated....

Just wanted to give an honest evaluation....

6 million a year for Brandon Williams is a joke, RJF got 5 million, Laron Landry got 6.

NT is arguably one of the most important positions on defense, I'm willing to bet he gets at LEAST 8, probably closer to 11. He's also already 28, not 26 like Poe...so he'll only get 1 large contract before he turns 30.

Not to mention inflation and increased cap room each year.

My bet is that he'll get somewhere between 8-11 million.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

If you pay Doyle that much (which I'm perfectly okay with) you almost have to trade or restructure Allen. There's no way you have two $20+ million dollar TEs on the roster. Especially when one is basically just a blocking TE.

It all depends how the rest of our roster shapes out tbh. If we have the rest of our roster figured out and still have a nice buffer of cap space to get us through the season then I see no reason why we would have to restructure Allen. If I am not mistaken he doesnt have much dead money after 2017 anyways so could easily become a cap casualty/ restructure next year. 

Aside from some rosy contract numbers and keeping Cole instead of Walden, this is almost perfect, imo. 

I'm down with the FA acquisitions for sure, the draft as well... 

Adding Brown, Johnson, Williams, and Ingram while drafting Barnett and Davis will give us something to look forward to on the defensive side, no question.

I'm not into taking a RB in the first 3 rounds this off-season, regardless of who is available. I think there will be options later, especially considering that the new RB gets a year to split carries and learn from Gore...

My ideal scenario would have us taking Foster in the 1st and T. Williams in the 2nd, but both are iffy to be there.