Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am curious, for those of you guys who were around and watching before interleague play began, what did you guys think when it first started? I was born after it began (Aug. 1997) and since I only ever known it, I am curious how people felt when it happened

I liked it a lot, but I found that baseball purists did not like it as much. Even though the Yankees beat the Mets most of the time, most of the games were competitive and the games the Mets won brought good memories.

I still recall where I was when this happened. (I get chills. :DI remember walking in the street and I jumped up when utility man Matt Franco got this walk-off hit off Mariano Rivera at the bottom of the 9th. My eyes glanced at a man sitting in his car, who screamed at the same time. It was rare for Mariano to blow a save. This was 1999.

Listen to that great call. I love it!

Here is an article about it. 

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/7/10/4509200/new-york-mets-history-july-10-matt-franco-walkoff-single-beats-yankees

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I liked it a lot, but I found that baseball purists did not like it as much. Even though the Yankees beat the Mets most of the time, most of the games were competitive and the games the Mets won brought good memories.

I still recall where I was when this happened. (I get chills. :DI remember walking in the street and I jumped up when utility man Matt Franco got this walk-off hit off Mariano Rivera at the bottom of the 9th. My eyes glanced at a man sitting in his car, who screamed at the same time. It was rare for Mariano to blow a save. This was 1999.

Listen to that great call. I love it!

Here is an article about it. 

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/7/10/4509200/new-york-mets-history-july-10-matt-franco-walkoff-single-beats-yankees

Ya, I was curious. Like I said this all happened before I was born. I figured purist did not care for it. I like it just cuz every other sport was like that, and liked that it is now 15/15 leagues and a better chance to see the other groups

14 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am curious, for those of you guys who were around and watching before interleague play began, what did you guys think when it first started? I was born after it began (Aug. 1997) and since I only ever known it, I am curious how people felt when it happened

When it first started I was skeptical.  The NL and AL played different styles of the game, and of course, the AL had the DH.  That meant that strategies were different, more pitching changes in the NL since pitchers were often pulled for a pinch hitter and also double switches.  Each league had their own set of umpires and it seemed the strike zones were also different for each league.  NL umpires wore their chest protectors inside their jackets, while the AL umps used the exterior chest protectors they had to hold with one hand.

But, I did like the rivalries that were created with interleague play...Yankees-Mets, Cubs-White Sox and Dodgers-Angels.  And, before the Astros moved to the AL, there was Rangers-Astros, too.

Now, it just seems normal, except for the DH rule, and I think it's worked out for the best.

On 3/2/2021 at 5:58 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I didn't really mind it much.  I was concerned that the Al would win most games and that has happened every year.  NL teams are not built with a stud DH like most AL teams, so it does give the AL an advantage.  

Ok I haven't posted on this thread much but we are only a week away from the start of the season. So now I am pumped up for some Baseball folks!

Cubs opening series is vs the Pirates at Wrigley:

Thursday - Kyle Hendricks gets the start, it is a 220pm game.

Friday is an off day.

Saturday - Big Jake is back and gets the start, it is a 220pm game.

Sunday - Zach Davies gets the start, it is a 220pm game.

*All day games for opening weekend.

Going back to the 2016 season when the Cubs won the WS, the Chicago Cubs have been one of the best/consistent teams in the league. Winning the NL Central Division, NL Pennant, and WS in 2016 with a 103-58 record + winning the NL Central Division in 2017 and last year in 2020 as well. 1 NL Pennant, 1 WS Championship, and 3 Division Titles in 5 seasons is solid. A lot of questions heading into 2021 about the Cubs though. They still have Kyle Hendricks and Jake Arrieta is back but the Bull Pen is a huge question mark. Players like Kris Bryant (MVP), Javi Baez, and Anthony Rizzo are back but can they be the productive great players they once were? David Ross in his 1st season as Manager in the 2020 shortened season won the Division but is he the real deal? The Cubs got eliminated early in the playoffs. 

-Early on if had to pick who wins the NL Pennant, it would be the Dodgers again unfortunately. I actually think they will repeat as World Champs. They just load up every year and have very little weaknesses. No team has repeated though since the Yankees did it back in 2000, over 20 seasons ago.

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok I haven't posted on this thread much but we are only a week away from the start of the season. So now I am pumped up for some Baseball folks!

Friday is an off day.

Going back to the 2016 season when the Cubs won the WS, the Chicago Cubs have been one of the best/consistent teams in the league. Winning the NL Central Division, NL Pennant, and WS in 2016 with a 103-58 record + winning the NL Central Division in 2017 and last year in 2020 as well. 1 NL Pennant, 1 WS Championship, and 3 Division Titles in 5 seasons is solid. A lot of questions heading into 2021 about the Cubs though. They still have Kyle Hendricks and Jake Arrieta is back but the Bull Pen is a huge question mark. Players like Kris Bryant (MVP), Javi Baez, and Anthony Rizzo are back but can they be the productive great players they once were? David Ross in his 1st season as Manager in the 2020 shortened season won the Division but is he the real deal? The Cubs got eliminated early in the playoffs. 

-Early on if had to pick who wins the NL Pennant, it would be the Dodgers again unfortunately. I actually think they will repeat as World Champs. They just load up every year and have very little weaknesses. No team has repeated though since the Yankees did it back in 2000, over 20 seasons ago.

There really isn't anything on so I have it on the Cubs channel. They are getting ready to play the Dodgers in a spring training game. I will miss Len Kasper, he was a great play by play guy. He was a big part of the Cubs organization but it's a business and he moved on :(.

The starters are all playing except Rizzo. MVP, Baez, Wilson, Bote are all playing. Fun stuff. Dodgers are playing their starters too, Betts, Turner, Bellinger, and the gang.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Friday is an off day.

Don't forget 2018 WC. And also Javy with a "y"

Here are my top 5 moments being a Cubs fan since 1984, remember that is a fan for 37 seasons so I had to do a lot of thinking:

5. 8/1/1987 - Andre Dawson hitting 3 HR's in one game. At Wrigley vs the Phillies in a 5-3 win. 3 HR games rarely happen.

4. 8/13/2018 - David Bote hitting a walk off Grandslam in the 9th down 3-0 at Wrigley vs the Nationals. Cubs win 4-3. That rarely happens.

3. 6/23/1984 - Ryne Sandberg = 2 HR's, 5 Hits, and 7 RBI's in a win at Wrigley over the Cards 12-11 in 11 innings. Many call that the game of the year in 1984. Cubs were down 9-3 at one point. Sandberg hit a 2 run HR in the bottom of the 10th off of then unhittable Bruce Sutter to tie the game at 11-11. Cubs end up winning 12-11 in 11 lol. Bob Costas called the game on national TV and had already declared Willie McGee the player of the game before the Sandberg HR. Classic. After the game, Costas said Sandberg was :funny:.

2. 10/23/2016 - Cubs defeat Dodgers at Wrigley to clinch NL Pennant for the 1st time since 1945. Final play, Aroldis Chapman gets a double play to end the game. The Chicago streets were wild at that point!

1. 11/3/2016 - Cubs win World Series for the 1st time in 108 years. Perhaps the greatest Game 7 ever played as the Cubs defeat the Indians 8-7 in 10 Innings at Cleveland. Kris Bryant collecting the final out on a grounder as he tosses it to Anthony Rizzo, game over! Game 7 officially ended on November 3rd of 2016.

Name your top 5 Cubs moments or top 5 moments of your favorite team :thmup:

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here are my top 5 moments being a Cubs fan since 1984, remember that is a fan for 37 seasons so I had to do a lot of thinking:

5. 8/1/1987 - Andre Dawson hitting 3 HR's in one game. At Wrigley vs the Phillies in a 5-3 win. 3 HR games rarely happen.

4. 8/13/2018 - David Bote hitting a walk off Grandslam in the 9th down 3-0 at Wrigley vs the Nationals. Cubs win 4-3. That rarely happens.

3. 6/23/1984 - Ryne Sandberg = 2 HR's, 5 Hits, and 7 RBI's in a win at Wrigley over the Cards 12-11 in 11 innings. Many call that the game of the year in 1984. Cubs were down 9-3 at one point. Sandberg hit a 2 run HR in the bottom of the 10th off of then unhittable Bruce Sutter to tie the game at 11-11. Cubs end up winning 12-11 in 11 lol. Bob Costas called the game on national TV and had already declared Willie McGee the player of the game before the Sandberg HR. Classic. After the game, Costas said Sandberg was :funny:.

2. 10/23/2016 - Cubs defeat Dodgers at Wrigley to clinch NL Pennant for the 1st time since 1945. Final play, Aroldis Chapman gets a double play to end the game. The Chicago streets were wild at that point!

1. 11/3/2016 - Cubs win World Series for the 1st time in 108 years. Perhaps the greatest Game 7 ever played as the Cubs defeat the Indians 8-7 in 10 Innings at Cleveland. Kris Bryant collecting the final out on a grounder as he tosses it to Anthony Rizzo, game over! Game 7 officially ended on November 3rd of 2016.

I got news for the Dodgers, they are playing against weak teams now. When Jake was in his prime and Chapman in his prime pitching throwing 103 MPH we kicked their butt in 6 games in 2016. They were loaded then with a young Kershaw and a loaded offense. Baseball starts Thursday happy homer simpson GIF, time to get this party started!

On 3/28/2021 at 9:07 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't think of my top 5 moments off hand, but one thing I do know is the Cubs winning the World Series is my favorite moment in all of sports history. That game 7 was epic! I remember crying as Bryant made the throw to Rizzo. I don't think anything could top that moment for me as a sports fan.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:07 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mine will be mostly recent.

1. WS Game 7 of Course

2. Travis Woods HR, vs the Giants in Game 2 of NLDS 2016

3. Ian Happ opening day HR vs fish in 2018

4. Castro debut vs Reds with HR and 6 RBIs

5. July 7, 2013 Cubs vs Pirates, My first ever game. Cubs hit a walk off SF by Navarro in the 11th inning

2021 picks:

AL East winner - Yankees

AL Central winner - White Sox - shocker, I like their young roster

AL West winner - Angels - shocker, this is the year Mike Trout gets back to the playoffs. He has only been once in his whole career which is shocking. That was in 2014 and his team got swept by the Royals in the NLDS 3-0. The Angels have a good team around him so I can see this pick happeneing.

NL East winner - Braves, this is a no brainer to me. They have a very good overall roster.

NL Central winner - oh what the hell, Go Cubs go, Go Cubs go lol, call me a Homer. Did someone say my name Interested Whats Going On GIF

I don't look at the Cubs as a powerhouse anymore but I don't look at the Cards or Brewers as powerhouses either. Any of those 3 teams could win the division and I could give many reasons to why. Reds will be above average to good but not a powerhouse either. I am a Cubs fan and the Cubs won the division last season so until someone takes it from the Cubs, it is what it is.

NL West winner - Dodgers, team to beat in all of baseball IMO. I would be surprised if they didn't win 100 games.

My AL Champions = Yankees

My NL Champions = Dodgers

My WS Champions = Dodgers repeat, will be the 1st team to do it since the 2000 Yankees. 

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs lose opener to the Pirates 5-3. Same ol' story continuing regarding struggling offense, 2 hits for the Cubs for the game. Dodgers and Yankees lost as well. 

i am more concern with pitching from today, like normally offense will be cold to begin year since it is so cold, pitching normally is better but 11 walks

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

i am more concern with pitching from today, like normally offense will be cold to begin year since it is so cold, pitching normally is better but 11 walks

Hendricks didn't look good at all, he was throwing a lot of balls. I knew he didn't have it when he gave up that HR in the 1st inning. We still need to get more than 2 hits though.

45 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Mets did not play. They usually win on Opening Day. I don't know when they will play.

How did the Cardinals do?

Where is the Cubs fan @HOZER? I have not seen him in a while. We need him back. 

I have not seen @HOZER in a while. I figured he might post yesterday but didn't. Cards won and of course the Brewers pulled one out of their behind, down by 3 heading to the 9th and they won in 10 lmao. Jake is pitching today for the Cubs, hopefully we get our 1st win of 2021. 

The new announcer doing the Cubs play by play on CubsTV is ok but he is no Len Kasper. Doesn't have the same feel. Jon Sciambi is ok to good but Len was great. He and Jim D were the perfect combo. I read where Chris Myers is the backup play by play for Jon, please NO! haha Myers is so bland, I would rather do it than listen to him - season 3 laughing GIF- Homer says, now that would be something with a skeptical grin, 2006 doing a Cubs game (Homer laughing), but he would be better than that bland Chris Myers I tells ya! I miss @HOZER, he was the perfect combo for me in here during a Cubs game.

Archived