Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks for the updates as I am not able to watch. Brewers Pitchers blowing it again :funny:

On the broadcast, the announcers mentioned that the Brewers were swept in a 5-game series against the Bucs this past weekend. 

Well a couple extra inning HRs by Astros give the AL a win in All Star Game. Speaking of All Star, it seems as though Manny Machado will be traded today to the Dodgers. So how do you think that will go?

I dont think it will do nearly as much, in the respect that the Dodgers have always had a good overall team and were beaten by Cubs in 2016 I feel whoever faces WC in divisional round should have best shot to WS as they should have an easier time getting to NLCS

46 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Well a couple extra inning HRs by Astros give the AL a win in All Star Game. Speaking of All Star, it seems as though Manny Machado will be traded today to the Dodgers. So how do you think that will go?

I dont think it will do nearly as much, in the respect that the Dodgers have always had a good overall team and were beaten by Cubs in 2016 I feel whoever faces WC in divisional round should have best shot to WS as they should have an easier time getting to NLCS

Dodgers were going to win their Division anyway. It's pretty big news but they need BullPen help more than anything. The Cubs goal now is to get the 1 Seed and HFA so it will be an easier path in theory to win the NL. 

12 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I'll give the Dodgers credit for this....they have had HUGE luck with their minor leagues. I mean all these kids that come up just end up taking off. They have this kid this year that is an all-star out of nowhere....Muncy. I mean this is after Bellinger last year. Heck even Kemp comes back and loses a ton of weight and turns back into an all-star. Team just seems very fortunate. There are a lot of teams still in that race out West...but this certainly bodes well for the Dodgers. I was hoping he would go to the Phillies.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dodgers were going to win their Division anyway. It's pretty big news but they need BullPen help more than anything. The Cubs goal now is to get the 1 Seed and HFA so it will be an easier path in theory to win the NL. 

And thats why I didnt see the Machado worry as major. The fact they were going to win anyhow another hitter is another hitter. Can still be on a cold streak during the playoff run. 

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

I'll give the Dodgers credit for this....they have had HUGE luck with their minor leagues. I mean all these kids that come up just end up taking off. They have this kid this year that is an all-star out of nowhere....Muncy. I mean this is after Bellinger last year. Heck even Kemp comes back and loses a ton of weight and turns back into an all-star. Team just seems very fortunate. There are a lot of teams still in that race out West...but this certainly bodes well for the Dodgers. I was hoping he would go to the Phillies.

The Dodgers have done everything but win a WS with the main core they have had over the last 5 years. Maybe they will break through this season and finally win the big one? Last year should've been their year, so who knows?

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Dodgers have done everything but win a WS with the main core they have had over the last 5 years. Maybe they will break through this season and finally win the big one? Last year should've been their year, so who knows?

Right now I think the junior circuit holds the edge from what I see.

8 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

You would think so but in 1 series anything can happen. Only 1 of those 3 teams will come out of the junior circuit. I honestly thought who ever made it out of the NL last season would win it all being Dodgers or Cubs. It ended up being the Astros. 

So the Dodgers get Machado and now everyone on ESPN says the Dodgers are the team to beat in the NL. We will see, lets look at the rivalry brewing between the Cubs and Dodgers and the success each team has had since the 2015 Season.

Cubs

2015 = 97-65  (Wildcard/lost to Mets 4-0 in NLCS)

2016 = 103-58 (Div Title/beat Dodgers 4-2 in NLCS- won WS)  

2017 = 92-70 (Div Title/lost to Dodgers 4-1 in NLCS)

2018 = 55-38 (Current #1 Seed in the NL)

1 WS Title, 1 NL Title, 3 NLCS Apps, 2 Div Titles

Dodgers

2015 = 92-70 (Div Title/lost to Mets in Divisional Round 3-2)

2016 = 91-71 (Div Title/lost to Cubs in NLCS 4-2)

2017 = 104-58 (Div Title/beat Cubs 4-1 in NLCS- lost in WS)

2018 = 53-43 (current #3 Seed in the NL)

1 NL Title, 2 NLCS Apps, 3 Div Titles

-I am ready for round 3 in the NLCS!

11 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

I agree. Dodgers/Yanks would be what MLB would want to see but I think it would be a disaster for Dodgers. Yankees MURDER left handed pitching...Kershaw and Wood at the top of the rotation would be at a big disadvantage. Jansen also is really good but not as great as he once was. They would match up better with some others but I know what the league would want...probably wouldn't be a good WS like the last two epic WS have been.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I agree. Dodgers/Yanks would be what MLB would want to see but I think it would be a disaster for Dodgers. Yankees MURDER left handed pitching...Kershaw and Wood at the top of the rotation would be at a big disadvantage. Jansen also is really good but not as great as he once was. They would match up better with some others but I know what the league would want...probably wouldn't be a good WS like the last two epic WS have been.

I agree in all honesty I would think ratings would be better for a good Series such as the last two. I know they are if your a real fan of the game , because its a blast watching the story unfold.

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Brewers might be without a key bullpen cog for awhile after the Josh Hader Tweets

I don't think so. If he was a marginal player, maybe he would be kept out, but he is one of their best players. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hendricks laying an egg. He has had his struggles this season. Cubs down 3-1 to the Bottom of the 5th.

Hendricks threw over 100 pitches in fewer than 5 full innings. Cubs hitters bailed him out. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pham is too, so is Carpenter. Cards have a dangerous lineup. Their record should be better.

But Molina is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, IMO. I cannot think of a better catcher in his era. His defense, the way he handles pitchers and calls pitches, his leadership, etc. He seems to get hits when his team needs it. And he still has several good years in him. 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

But Molina is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, IMO. I cannot think of a better catcher in his era. His defense, the way he handles pitchers and calls pitches, his leadership, etc. He seems to get hits when his team needs it. And he still has several good years in him. 

I agree he is their best player but Pham and Carpenter are Good

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win! Always nice to win the 1st one after the Break. Beating the Cards is always tough. Now we have a 3 game lead over the BrewDrinkers. Fly the flag Gozer.

Who is this “Gozer” you mentioned? Sounds like a real bozo!

:headspin:

7D7D8CAA-13CF-4ADF-8E89-FE5F4CA8F096.jpeg

The NL Central Standings as of now:

Cubs 56-38

Brewers 55-43 (3 back)

Cardinals 48-47 (8.5 back)

Pirates 48-49 (9.5 back)

Reds 43-53 (14 back)

-The Cubs well on their way to winning a 3rd straight NL Central Division Title, something they have never done before. They are just adding to this Core's legacy. They already have made 3 straight NLCS = 2015-2017 and won the World Series in 2016. What is next here in 2018? Still a ways to go but it is July 20th. An 8.5 game lead over the Cards is pretty significant no matter how anyone looks at it at this point. The Brewers schedule coming up is treacherous = 3 vs the Dodgers, 3 vs the Nationals who need to win right now, at Giants for 4 games, then at Dodgers for 4 games. Their collapse has already started and it's about to be an avalanche! If the Brewers and Cards don't make any big trades, this Division is pretty much over.

-I am not sure if the Cubs can win the World Series if they don't trade for a big time Pitcher but I still think they can get there. Beating either the Red Sox, Astros, or Yankees in a series looks really tough as of now. IMO I think it is going to be Cubs vs Dodgers again in the NLCS. In the AL, the winner of the AL East will play the Astros in the ALCS IMO. Not sure if that will be the Red Sox or Yankees? In the AL, the Indians  are a sleeper team but the Big3 are clearly the Red Sox, Astros, and Yankees.

Cubs laying an egg today, down 5-1 after the 2nd but everything has went our way for the last 2 weeks. Can't win em all :banana:. Brewers fans have already shut up at this point and even if the Cards do win today they are still 7.5 back. Yawn! Cards have a Good team in reality but unless they get within 2 games of us I wont worry. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs laying an egg today, down 5-1 after the 2nd but everything has went our way for the last 2 weeks. Can't win em all :banana:. Brewers fans have already shut up at this point and even if the Cards do win today they are still 7.5 back. Yawn! Cards have a Good team in reality but unless they get within 2 games of us I wont worry. 

They play us like 8 times in the next 11 games...well less now but still they can get right back in it if they play well. A lot of veteran players on those Cards teams...they seem to always hit our pitching...they've seen it enough. Their fielding and relievers are where they are getting killed right now....too many errors and too many blown leads from the bullpen imo.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

They play us like 8 times in the next 11 games...well less now but still they can get right back in it if they play well. A lot of veteran players on those Cards teams...they seem to always hit our pitching...they've seen it enough. Their fielding and relievers are where they are getting killed right now....too many errors and too many blown leads from the bullpen imo.

Like I said they have a Good team but they pretty much have to beat us almost every time to get back in the race. Our schedule over the next month isn't that bad either. Hey if we blow an 8.5 game lead they deserve the Division. It's 7.5 now, so why worry? I am not worried about it as of now. We hadn't lost in nearly 2 weeks so we were due for a stinker.  The Cards have gained no ground so far, it's 1-1 vs them in this series. They play us 6 more times now within the next week. If they beat us all 6 than I will worry. Lets say they win 4 out of 6, we would still have a 5.5 game lead. Brewers lost again so we are still 3 ahead of them too. 

-Is the Division race over? No, as there are still 2 more months left in the Regular Season. Teams in the past have came back in August and September to win divisions. Having said that I seriously doubt we blow a 7.5 game lead in the last 2 months. If this was late May it would be different. The way the Brewers are playing and with the way their schedule is over the next month I see them folding as well.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Fact and mismanaging Matheny was a pro at it. Bull pen had some key players injured . The errors drive me up the wall.

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

Fact and mismanaging Matheny was a pro at it. Bull pen had some key players injured . The errors drive me up the wall.

You guys have alot of head to head vs us coming up but like I was telling dgam, Cards have to pretty much beat the Cubs every time in these matchups because they dug such a huge hole. 7.5 back trying to catch a team like the Cubs won't be easy.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You guys have alot of head to head vs us coming up but like I was telling dgam, Cards have to pretty much beat the Cubs every time in these matchups because they dug such a huge hole. 7.5 back trying to catch a team like the Cubs won't be easy.

I think if they win 75% of them we are in good shape still around 2 and a half months yet to play . One Key player goes down it could make a big difference . Seen the Cards pass the Reds in Sept behind them 8 games . I do agree 7.5 is comfortable right now . Lets see what August brings and the trade deadline.

Archived