Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

23 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yankees fans complained about Girardi the same way that you complained about Matheny. Many non-Yankees fans thought they were nuts to want Girardi gone. Like Girardi, Matheny is well regarded outside the fan base.

I agree that Girardi would be a good hire.

Lol I don't mean this the wrong way but don't they complain about everything if they are not lassoing the moon ? Lets face it they have had some of the best teams money can buy and some times its worked handsomely . However there are always the intangibles no one counts on . I think Girardi is hands down a better manager , I just don't think he had some of the over all teams some did in the pin stripes. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol I don't mean this the wrong way but don't they complain about everything if they are not lassoing the moon ? Lets face it they have had some of the best teams money can buy and some times its worked handsomely . However there are always the intangibles no one counts on . I think Girardi is hands down a better manager , I just don't think he had some of the over all teams some did in the pin stripes. 

Yankees fans complain if their Hotdogs don't have enough mustard on them. 27 Championships so yeah most of them feel entitled. If they don't win that East though, I doubt they win the AL as a Wildcard. Sox and Astros are tough, Indians can't be slept on either.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yankees fans complain if their Hotdogs don't have enough mustard on them. 27 Championships so yeah most of them feel entitled. If they don't win that East though, I doubt they win the AL as a Wildcard. Sox and Astros are tough, Indian can't be slept on either.

Cards fans are a little spoiled as well. What irks me is the lack of fundamental baseball at times . Also not using speed on the basepath properly , or not putting pitchers in the right situations out of the pen . Lol I like aggressive plain and simple. Matheny just didn't think far enough ahead  in my opinion and set himself up in games.

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

Cards fans are a little spoiled as well. What irks me is the lack of fundamental baseball at times . Also not using speed on the basepath properly , or not putting pitchers in the right situations out of the pen . Lol I like aggressive plain and simple.

You would think Cubs fans would be getting spoiled but most say Maddon sucks lmao and Bryant and Rizzo are overrated from the comments I read on other Sites. This week has really helped because of the Brewers playing so badly and now the Cubs are in 1st but up until now it wasn't like that. I feel spoiled with 3 straight NLCS Apps and a WS Title and I love Maddon and Bryant and Rizzo. Baez too but I appreciate this run because teams being great for 4 or 5 years is even rare in Baseball. Look at the Royals, they won a WS and now suck.

9 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I don't mean this the wrong way but don't they complain about everything if they are not lassoing the moon ?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yankees fans complain if their Hotdogs don't have enough mustard on them. 27 Championships so yeah most of them feel entitled. 

I actually think they get a bad rap. Think about the Yankees fans who are Colts fans on this forum. They are not among the complainers and negative folks. RustonRifle, Coltafansince65, Bababooey...

As for them buying championships, I used to say that too in the 90s and early 2000s. Many of their stars were homegrown just as the guys they are assembling now. Jeter, Posada, Bernie, Pettite, Mariano, and others. But yeah, as I think more about it, they got Tino Martinez, Boggs, Clemens, Knoblach, Sheffield, Cone, Gooden, David Wells, Paul O'Neill,... Who am I forgeting??? Yeah, lots of those guys they bought and traded for.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I actually think they get a bad rap. Think about the Yankees fans who are Colts fans on this forum. They are not among the complainers and negative folks. RustonRifle, Coltafansince65, Bababooey...

As for them buying championships, I used to say that too in the 90s and early 2000s. Many of their stars were homegrown just as the guys they are assembling now. Jeter, Posada, Bernie, Pettite, Mariano, and others. But yeah, as I think more about it, they got Tino Martinez, Boggs, Clemens, Knoblach, Sheffield, Cone, Gooden, David Wells, Paul O'Neill,... Who am I forgeting??? Yeah, lots of those guys they bought and traded for.

Arod

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

We have cool Yankees fans in here no doubt. They traded for Babe Ruth 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You would think Cubs fans would be getting spoiled but most say Maddon sucks lmao and Bryant and Rizzo are overrated from the comments I read on other Sites

Lol. You're describing the same types of fans as those Yankees fans. They complain about their teams and managers because of record, rather than criticize bad play. Sometimes teams play fundamental baseball and lose. I am ok with that. I complain when I see bad play. I like good pitching, good  defense, and timely hitting. The Mets are deficient in those areas except starting pitching. Yet they continue to prioritize pitching. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have cool Yankees fans in here no doubt. They traded for Babe Ruth 

Yes we do and when I made the comment lol I said don't take this wrong. The media doesn't help matters there from what I hear . NFL would know more about this .

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

How could I forget that one!

There was a guy that they got from Kansas City. He was a center fielder. I just can't recall his name. I think they also had Flash Gordon.

Willie Randolph ?

3 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yes we do and when I made the comment lol I said don't take this wrong. The media doesn't help matters there from what I hear . NFL would know more about this .

Yeah, I know. Some of their announcers are such homers. I have to say that the Mets announcers do a great job trying to call a game the way it should. Since the days of Bob Murphy (radio) and Ralph Kiner (tv), I have always thought they did a good job of giving the other team credit.  

Just now, NFLfan said:

Yeah, I know. Some of their announcers are such homers. I have to say that the Mets announcers do a great job trying to call a game the way it should. Since the days of Bob Murphy (radio) and Ralph Kiner (tv), I have always thought they did a good job of giving the other team credit.  

I was watching Game 6 of the 1986 WS earlier, man that was great how the Mets won that!

19 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Willie Randolph ?

I thought he played only 2B. I also thought he was homegrown. (He was already with the Yankees by the time I started following baseball so I did not know that.)

That is not who I was referring to but when I looked online Johnny Damon came up. The guy I was referring to came before Johnny Damon. I think he came via a trade

Had to bring that up for NFLfan to make her day so she could smile and think about that Great team. I have only seen 1 other team better than the 86 Mets and that is the 98 Yankees since I have been watching/been born. My 2016 Cubs were probably 3rd. I started watching in the late 70's. In Jay's defense the 1985 Cards were one of the best too but they got cheated in the WS on a Bad call. 

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I just thought of it. It was not coming online. I was referring to Danny Tartabull (spelling?). The mind is a funny thing. It stores tons of info yet I cannot remember what I had for lunch two days ago. Lol

I could tell you the whole starting lineup for the Cubs in 1984 but couldn't tell you what I had for dinner 3 days ago. My brain is :Yikes:

6 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Heading to bed . You all have a great day:thmup:

One last Post, I have been watching Baseball since the late 70's and I think hands down the 4 best teams I have ever seen since roughly 1977 are:

#1 1998 Yankees

#2 1986 Mets

#3 2016 Cubs

#4 1989 A's = Bash Brothers with McGwire and Canseco. They also had Rickey Henderson and Pitchers Dave Stewart and Dennis Eckersley. That team swept the Giants in the WS in 89.

-The 1985 Cardinals would've made my Top 4 but they didn't win the WS so I technically can't put them in there. They did get cheated though so leaving them out stinks. They were better than their 1982 team IMO, better than 2006 or 2011 as well. I just don't want Cards fans thinking I am a hater :thmup:. Goodnight everyone.

7 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Simply putting out what the article said , I'm sure the sentiment was the same when they signed Holliday .  Point being there are plenty of rumors and the Cards can afford to pay if need be . 

I mean ya, but Arenado is considered top 3rd baseman right now (even as a cubs fan) I just cant imagine them trading him. And some articles right now have just seemed so bad on the trading they are saying. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Everything is in italic and smaller letters. No, I am not drinking LOL. It changed about an hour ago, then for a minute it was normal, now back to this again. Help me help me I am being hacked by a Brewers fan possibly :banana:

I agree they need to fix it. Im already tired it hurts my eyes so much trying to read this all

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

How could I forget that one!

There was a guy that they got from Kansas City. He was a center fielder. I just can't recall his name. I think they also had Flash Gordon.

Easy to "Forgot about A-Rod, cause he's only high-priced. Picked him up as a trade five years ago"

Anybody get what movie I'm paraphrasing here?

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never mind it's back :facepalm:

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Everything is in italic and smaller letters. No, I am not drinking LOL. It changed about an hour ago, then for a minute it was normal, now back to this again. Help me help me I am being hacked by a Brewers fan possibly :banana:

Are you still seeing that? I checked on my work computer. Everything looked mostly unchanged -- no italics, no smaller lettering. I see some headings and names of members are in bold letters.  

19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Are you still seeing that? I checked on my work computer. Everything looked mostly unchanged -- no italics, no smaller lettering. I see some headings and names of members are in bold letters.  

Yes I am still seeing it. I am more awake now so it isn't hurting my eyes as bad but the Font is different. It is this Site only that is doing it so it isn't my laptop. When I get on ESPN it looks normal. I have to sign off for a while but I will be back later. Have to go to work, TTYL

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Had to bring that up for NFLfan to make her day so she could smile and think about that Great team. I have only seen 1 other team better than the 86 Mets and that is the 98 Yankees since I have been watching/been born. My 2016 Cubs were probably 3rd. I started watching in the late 70's. In Jay's defense the 1985 Cards were one of the best too but they got cheated in the WS on a Bad call. 

Guess you just missed the Big Red Machine then....they were pretty loaded during their time.

I will also say there were a couple Atlanta Braves teams that fell flat in the postseason that also I would say were among the best of this generation....perhaps the 96 Braves. That staff was awesome and when Chipper and Andrew Jones came along with Javy Lopez, McGriff, Grissom and Klesko that team just blew it honestly...but was super talented! So many good teams...good memories.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Guess you just missed the Big Red Machine then....they were pretty loaded during their time.

I will also say there were a couple Atlanta Braves teams that fell flat in the postseason that also I would say were among the best of this generation....perhaps the 96 Braves. That staff was awesome and when Chipper and Andrew Jones came along with Javy Lopez, McGriff, Grissom and Klesko that team just blew it honestly...but was super talented! So many good teams...good memories.

Yeah I started watching in the late 70's, I just missed the Big Red Machine years.  I was listing teams that I have seen live who I thought have been the best. Reds won the WS in 1975 and 1976 so I know all about them but it was just barely before my time watching. The 1995 Braves were a Great team - the year they won the WS and did have several teams in the 90's that were solid. They deserve consideration of being mentioned in with the teams I mentioned.

Lol. I accidentally posted this comment on the NBA thread. haha

Glad that deGrom did not get the loss. He gave up a HR to Trout which gave the AL a 2-1 lead. But Rockies player T. Story hit a HR in the 7th to tie it up.

All the runs have been solo HRs. Pitching is dominating.

Archived