Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's a fair assessment but I cant give a team an A+ that doesnt even have a better record than the 1st Wildcard team. Yankees have the best record in the league so IMO the team that has the best record deserves an A+. 

-You are basing your grades totally on expectation. Dodgers are now only 1.5 games out of 1st place so a C+ is reasonable as they have struggled but are playing Good now. I gave the Braves a B+ which is a borderline Great grade IMO. 

I guess we are grading off of two different measurements. I’m grading off expectations and standings and you are just basically ranking off standings. If I’m a Braves fan, player, or owner I’m would’ve give this season an A+. It’s gone great. If I’m the Dodgers I have to be disappointed. We aren’t even in first place in a weak division. C- is generous. If I’m a Yankee fan I’m happy to be in first but can’t say the season has been perfect...they have some glaring holes in that staff...and strike outs a lot...that is scary come September. Just like the Cubs...these shutouts are scary if it continues. You can’t hsve that happening once September either.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I guess we are grading off of two different measurements. I’m grading off expectations and standings and you are just basically ranking off standings. If I’m a Braves fan, player, or owner I’m would’ve give this season an A+. It’s gone great. If I’m the Dodgers I have to be disappointed. We aren’t even in first place in a weak division. C- is generous. If I’m a Yankee fan I’m happy to be in first but can’t say the season has been perfect...they have some glaring holes in that staff...and strike outs a lot...that is scary come September. Just like the Cubs...these shutouts are scary if it continues. You can’t hsve that happening once September either.

I see your point because nobody thought the Braves would be Good and that the Dodgers would be much better so I may re-think my grades next time I evaluate. I did base my grades alot on standings but I did factor in on how Good I think these teams are as well. I just don't see the Braves as an A+ team. Nobody thought the Pacers would win more than 32 games in the media and they won 48 and took LeBron 7 but to me that isn't an A+ season IMO. It's in the B range = B+ to B- based on alot of factors. We shocked the media and our fans because we were much better than everyone expected but we still didn't win 50 games, were a 5 Seed, and lost in Round 1. So alot of factors go into grading. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see your point because nobody thought the Braves would be Good and that the Dodgers would be much better so I may re-think my grades next time I evaluate. I did base my grades alot on standings but I did factor in on how Good I think these teams are as well. I just don't see the Braves as an A+ team. Nobody thought the Pacers would win more than 32 games in the media and they won 48 and took LeBron 7 but to me that isn't an A+ season IMO. It's in the B range = B+ to B- based on alot of factors. We shocked the media and our fans because we were much better than everyone expected but we still didn't win 50 games, were a 5 Seed, and lost in Round 1. So alot of factors go into grading. 

I get what your saying...good point. Guess if I was to go with  report card system then I would give the Braves perhaps a B+....but that’s great if your notmaally a D student lol. Anyways expectations have been exceeded (thus far) by the Braves. I would say Yanks and Cubs have work to do even though they are both statistically in first place or tied or .5 game up or behind...whatever it is today you like your position but there are some warning signs for sure. As for Dodgers you have played awful and injuries etc etc but your right in the race...so while you haven’t achieved well...guess they are grading on the curve out there and it doesn’t look so bad lol.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I get what your saying...good point. Guess if I was to go with  report card system then I would give the Braves perhaps a B+....but that’s great if your notmaally a D student lol. Anyways expectations have been exceeded (thus far) by the Braves. I would say Yanks and Cubs have work to do even though they are both statistically in first place or tied or .5 game up or behind...whatever it is today you like your position but there are some warning signs for sure. As for Dodgers you have played awful and injuries etc etc but your right in the race...so while you haven’t achieved well...guess they are grading on the curve out there and it doesn’t look so bad lol.

Yeah what is bothersome about the Cubs is our Offense shuts down on certain days and I cant figure out why? We will have 2 games in a row where we score 8-10 Runs or so then turn around and score 0. We have been shut out in 3 of the last 5 games, that isn't a good sign. We have the best point differential in the whole NL but yet the Brewers have a better record by a half game. IMO, Maddon needs to stick with a same lineup but he doesn't. He changes it every other day. I like Almora leading off, Heyward batting 2nd, Bryant 3rd, and Rizzo at clean up.

-Regarding the Dodgers they shockingly started off the season 15-25 through their 1st 40 games and Kershaw has missed most of the season. They are 22-8 over their last 30 and went from 9 games back to 1.5 back behind the D-Backs. Even without Kershaw they will win that weak Division IMO. The D-Backs are Good but have shown to have major flaws as of late. The Giants aren't the same team they were 3 or 4 years ago either nor is Bumgarner the same Pitcher. 

How about this, if the season ended today the Cubs would be the #1 Seed in the NL based on %points. Top 3 teams are:

Cubs 42-29 .592

Braves 43-30 .589

Brewers 43-30 .589

-Brewers got rained out tonight and start a 4 game series with the Cards tomorrow. Cubs travel to Cincy and start a 4 game series tomorrow. Huge series for the Cards to gain some ground in the NL Central. NL Central Standings are:

Cubs 42-29

Brewers 43-30

Cards 38-34

On 6/19/2018 at 3:47 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs had a 3-1 lead and the Bullpen cant hold it. 4-3 Dodgers now lead. They just let Kyle Farmer beat them with a base hit if they don't rally in the 9th. What a suck way to lose.

Key problem is that home plate ump. I talked to a Dodger fan today he agreed that ump was terribly inconsistent. Turner Struckout before his single and they called it a ball. The walk before was borderline pitches. They were called earlier than ump stopped. Either call wide zone or tight dont just say randomly each pitch

From an historical standpoint, we have 3 teams in the AL that are on pace to have a better record than the 2016 Cubs. Cubs have the best record of the decade out of teams that have won the WS at 103-58. The teams being the Yankees 50-22, Redsox 50-26, and Astros 50-26. Watch this will be the season where the Indians get completely healthy, don't choke and win the WS. They will wipe all of those teams out :funny:. That is why I love Baseball because that could happen with the Roster and Manager the Indians have + they have been Very Good to Great the 2 previous seasons. They are only 40-33 right now but will win their Division because it's weak. So automatically they will be a 3 Seed at worse to start.

It's really tough in Baseball to sustain greatness for a long period of time. I still believe it's without doubt the hardest sport to win a Championship in. It takes not only being Great but alot of luck to win a WS. Look at the Braves during the 90's for example, they only won 1 WS and were a dominant team that whole decade. Cubs have lost several players from their 2016 WS Championship team but to their credit they still look like a team that will make the Playoffs for the 4th straight season. The NL isn't as strong as the AL so making a 4th straight NLCS or even another WS is 50/50 as of now IMO for the Cubs. The way Baseball is, once you make the WS anything can happen. I have seen Wildcard teams win it against teams that were much more dominant in the Regular Season. 

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Playing down to their competition?  

Yep. The Cubs looked bored. Hard to stay motivated for 162 games after winning a WS. That 103 win season will never happen again so I need to accept that, they were hungry then. Going all the way back when your Mets won it all in 1986 at 108-54, and only the Yankees in 1998 at 114-48 had a better record since 1986 than the 2016 Cubs at 103-58 that won the WS. 

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What happened?

Our BullPen happened. This whole series has been a nightmare. Cant even win with a 5 run lead. I haven't seen a team as bad as the Reds get so many Grandslams in 1 series. It's comical. Winker hit another one, AKA Henry Winker, that is the Fonz isn't it? I have never heard of the guy until this series. They also had a guy name Lorenzen who is a Pitcher, Pinch Hit and he hit a HR too, never heard of him either. Reds now lead 8-6 in the 8th. 

Archived