Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our BullPen happened. This whole series has been a nightmare. Cant even win with a 5 run lead. I haven't seen a team as bad as the Reds get so many Grandslams in 1 series. It's comical. Winker hit another one, AKA Henry Winker, that is the Fonz isn't it? I have never heard of the guy until this series. They also had a guy name Lorenzen who is a Pitcher, Pinch Hit and he hit a HR too, never heard of him either. Reds now lead 8-6 in the 8th. 

I think Fonz was Henry Winkler (has an L in his last name). I don't know Winker or Lorenzen. The only Lorenzen I know is that guy Jared L. who was the QB of Kentucky or Louisville. 

Hopefully the Cubs make a comeback.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That happens a lot in sports.

Losing 4 in a row does happen during a Baseball season when some teams play others in a series. Normally teams that have a Very Good record/Great record don't lose 4 in a row to teams that are in the bottom 2 in their league though. I doubt 1 person thought the Cubs would lose 4 in a row to the Reds. Had they bet on that in Vegas they would be walking away with a huge briefcase full of cash :funny:

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Losing 4 in a row does happen during a Baseball season when some teams play others in a series. Normally teams that have a Very Good record/Great record don't lose 4 in a row to teams that are in the bottom 2 in their league though. I doubt 1 person thought the Cubs would lose 4 in a row to the Reds. Had they bet on that in Vegas they would be walking away with a huge briefcase full of cash :funny:

Yeah, 4 in a row in that situation is an anomaly. But a good team losing to a bad team is not. It happens. 

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At least the BrewCrew lost, Cubs still only 2 games out of 1st in the NL Central despite this disaster of a series. 

Brother the Cards split with the Crew up there and let one get away , Cards have been bit pretty hard by injury , still hanging . I fully expect them to make a move in the Central . Also I expect them to make moves to bolster their team before the trade deadline. Molina handling the young pitching staff well . It will still come down to the Cards and Cubs . It will be an interesting stretch in my opinion. Have been out of town so haven't kept up totally watched the Cards game from yesterday when I got home. After being down two zip in that series they showed me some guts to come back and win last two. They clearly flustered the Brew Crew and got under their skin. I look for fireworks before the year ends. Molina has had the pitchers throwing inside so hitters don't hang over the plate , a must if you want to be totally successful.

2 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Brother the Cards split with the Crew up there and let one get away , Cards have been bit pretty hard by injury , still hanging . I fully expect them to make a move in the Central . Also I expect them to make moves to bolster their team before the trade deadline. Molina handling the young pitching staff well . It will still come down to the Cards and Cubs . It will be an interesting stretch in my opinion. Have been out of town so haven't kept up totally watched the Cards game from yesterday when I got home. After being down two zip in that series they showed me some guts to come back and win last two. They clearly flustered the Brew Crew and got under their skin. I look for fireworks before the year ends. Molina has had the pitchers throwing inside so hitters don't hang over the plate , a must if you want to be totally successful.

Yeah you guys did great to get a split on them in Milwaukee. I was glad to see it brother. The Cubs completely laid an egg in Cincy over the weekend. Morrow and Edwards both are out with injuries and it has killed our BullPen. Our BullPen was awful against Cincy.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah you guys did great to get a split on them in Milwaukee. I was glad to see it brother. The Cubs completely laid an egg in Cincy over the weekend. Morrow and Edwards both are out with injuries and it has killed our BullPen. Our BullPen was awful against Cincy.

It will have to be addressed and the Cards will have to as well if we don't get some pitchers healthy in the Pen . If we don't it will be what removes us from the race. Brewers are in same category and their starters are not as good as they were. 

16 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

It will have to be addressed and the Cards will have to as well if we don't get some pitchers healthy in the Pen . If we don't it will be what removes us from the race. Brewers are in same category and their starters are not as good as they were. 

It wouldn't shock me at all if the Cubs and Cards both make a trade for a Good Pitcher.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lost 5 in row = Boooooooooo

:thmdown: But it could be worse, right? The Mets have the fewest wins in the NL. Remember how they started? I would trade you pitchers but we can't field a major league pitching staff. Most of the pitchers that started the season are injured. 

Hope the Cubs get back to where they were prior to this skid.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

:thmdown: But it could be worse, right? The Mets have the fewest wins in the NL. Remember how they started? I would trade you pitchers but we can't field a major league pitching staff. Most of the pitchers that started the season are injured. 

Hope the Cubs get back to where they were prior to this skid.

Overall I am not worried but I am concerned with the Cubs current play. The NL has so much parity and is so bunched up, the Cubs are still ok. I cant recall the Cubs losing 5 games in a row at any one point since the 2014 Season. From 2015-2017, if they did I don't remember it.

4 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Cards beat the Tribe last night 4-0 , Gruber against Martinez tonight good pitching matchup. 

Cards are playing better of late. The NL is a mystery right now, tough to rank. In the AL the Yankees have actually lost 3 in a row.

-Yanks won last night so it was 3 in a row.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cards are playing better of late. The NL is a mystery right now, tough to rank. In the AL the Yankees have actually lost 3 in a row.

Reason you gotta hang and watch over course of a season , the Reds actually have a winning record over the last month . They score runs if they get pitching with it they win. But the sweep of Cubs boggles my mind.

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Overall I am not worried but I am concerned with the Cubs current play. The NL has so much parity and is so bunched up, the Cubs are still ok. I cant recall the Cubs losing 5 games in a row at any one point since the 2014 Season. From 2015-2017, if they did I don't remember it.

I thought they had so I looked at pass season schedules:

6/24-6/28 2015 Loss 2 vs. Dodgers loss 3 vs. Cardinals

7/5-7/9 2016 also started with the Reds, lost 2 lost 1 vs Braves lost 2 vs. Pirates

Also 5/26-5/31 2017 season, swept by Dodgers then the Padres.

So each season we've had one 5+ game losing streak yet we all seem to keep forgetting about it by end of season. I only remembered about '16 because I knew we had a terrible month. Dodgers have been involved in 3 of them now while Reds were in two. I do remember though the reactions people had during these ones. So though we have done much better right after the streaks and normally it happens around this time of year. 

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I thought they had so I looked at pass season schedules:

6/24-6/28 Loss 2 vs. Dodgers loss 3 vs. Cardinals

7/5-7/9 2016 also started with the Reds, lost 2 lost 1 vs Braves lost 2 vs. Pirates

Also 5/26-5/31 2017 season, swept by Dodgers then the Padres.

So each season we've had one 5+ game losing streak yet we all seem to keep forgetting about it by end of season. I only remembered about '16 because I knew we had a terrible month. Dodgers have been involved in 3 of them now while Reds were in two. I do remember though the reactions people had during these ones. So though we have done much better right after the streaks and normally it happens around this time of year. 

So we have actually had 3 5 game losing streaks in 3 years/seasons. Thanks for the history update, I honestly didn't recall those as it's only happened once a season, tough to keep up when 162 games are played LOL. I had knew we had lost 4 in a row a few times but forgot about the 5 in a row's.  

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So we have actually had 3 5 game losing streaks in 3 years/seasons. Thanks for the history update, I honestly didn't recall those as it's only happened once a season, tough to keep up when 162 games are played LOL. I had knew we had lost 4 in a row a few times but forgot about the 5 in a row's.  

Ya I had only remembered '16 and figured we more than likely had one then so I checked on Cubs.com and saw the schedule from previous years. I then decided to check each year of competitive window so far to see if it was an outlier or not and to my comfort it wasnt. I wanted to lend to all Cubs fans here the reassurance that we have done this before and come back before. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I also meant to put 2015 after first one so each season has had one losing streak. And todays game Cubs losing 1-0 top 5 bunch of hits but 6 left on already. 

Cubs win, Cubs win. Fly the flag Gozer, losing streak is over. Cubs 9-4 over LA, very much needed. If the season ended today despite the recent struggles the Cubs would still host the Wildcard game as they have the 4th best record in the NL now at 43-34. Javi Baez hit 2 HR's including a Grandslam so he gets player of the game and Jon Lester picks up the win. 

-All is good again, so the haters can cool it for one night over at ESPN and Maddon doesn't need to be fired :funny:

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brewers just lost to the 2nd worse team in Baseball at home - the Royals. I think their fans Twitter server just shut down :funny::cheers:

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Be careful, don’t want to anger the baseball Gods and send us into another losing streak!!!!!  :peek:

7 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Be careful, don’t want to anger the baseball Gods and send us into another losing streak!!!!!  :peek:

I definitely wouldn't want to do that. Their fans act like they are the 1998 Yankees if you read their Posts over at ESPN and we suck. We are not the Cubs, we are the Scrubs is how they put it :funny:. Last I looked we have made 3 straight NLCS and won a WS over the last 3 seasons. Here is me acting like a 10 yr old, my 10 year old Brewer comment - The SCREWERS have never won a WS in their franchise existence. We have had one of the best 3 season runs in Baseball history, the SCREWERS should be happy to carry our jockstraps. That's what I think of it, top that one :scoregood:

Archived