Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL spring league to start next April

RockThatBlue

12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Why would vet free agents play in spring games and risk injury before training camp?

Undrafted free agents I can see.....but vets who have been released by NFL teams?

Who's paying for this?

Because those vet FA don't have a team that picked them up to bring them into camp in the first place.

So they will likely play in the league to try to convince an NFL team to bring them in.

19 hours ago, MTC said:

Any chance we'll see a team with Manziel or Tebow at QB with Jeff Fisher as the Head Coach?

You actually bring up a good point.  For this league to succeed it's gonna need several "name" players in it.  Draft busts, guys who washed out for off the field issues, etc that are still household names that are trying to rehab their football careers.

If this is just career 3rd string/practice squad quarterbacks and a bunch of guys who where/are career special teamers then there won't be a lot of viewers.

46 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

You actually bring up a good point.  For this league to succeed it's gonna need several "name" players in it.  Draft busts, guys who washed out for off the field issues, etc that are still household names that are trying to rehab their football careers.

If this is just career 3rd string/practice squad quarterbacks and a bunch of guys who where/are career special teamers then there won't be a lot of viewers.

There won't be many viewers either way

17 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

They wont........is my point..   I cant see this happening

...because there wont be much money..

...and for vets.with NFL experience (I'm assuming) .just wait and go to camp with a real team

There are plenty of vets who won't get invitations to camps

I think this is worth a shot, and it's mostly because of fantasy football. Back in 2001, when Vince McMahon's XFL had to cease, fantasy football wasn't a thing (or if it was, it wasn't important enough to care). I'm not sure how they will structure the free agency league, but people will bet on anything football related.

This might also open the doors to more foreign players who can tell tales to their loved ones back home about a glorious country called the U.S. and how everyone plays, talks, and eats football. The foreign kids will be like, "Daddy, I want to be a punter, just like you." Then Goodell somewhere will smile and lick his chops.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:00 PM, ReMeDy said:

I think this is worth a shot, and it's mostly because of fantasy football. Back in 2001, when Vince McMahon's XFL had to cease, fantasy football wasn't a thing (or if it was, it wasn't important enough to care). I'm not sure how they will structure the free agency league, but people will bet on anything football related.

This might also open the doors to more foreign players who can tell tales to their loved ones back home about a glorious country called the U.S. and how everyone plays, talks, and eats football. The foreign kids will be like, "Daddy, I want to be a punter, just like you." Then Goodell somewhere will smile and lick his chops.

You cant have football if somebody doesn't pay for it..

Who's paying for this..? Where would the money (lots of it) come from?

I'm not sure this is a real story

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You cant have football if somebody doesn't pay for it..

Who's paying for this..? Where would the money (lots of it) come from?

I'm not sure this is a real story

Where did the money from NFL Europe come from?  Where does the money from the Arena league come from? XFL?

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Where did the money from NFL Europe come from?  Where does the money from the Arena league come from? XFL?

The NFL bankrolled NFL Europe until they didnt.

The XFL lost NBC as a sponsor.....and they had to fold....Vince McMahon and his investors lost money.

...I'm guessing the Arena League breaks even or turns a profit. ..but I dont know...but that's a good question

Real football just has so many costly injuries...no league is going anywhere now unless they take care of the players. You need a TV contract..

..but again..is this a real story..or just something somebody floated?