Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keith Butler Steelers Linebacker Coach New Dc./butler Stays In Pitts (Merge)

Balzer40

no he would be better at DE. johnson or moloa would have to play nose or we would have to pick one up

So basically we need to draft one or sign an FA, because non of the above are nose tackles. They do not have the size or the technic to be successful at that position.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May not be a done deal? Im guessing as long as the Colts offer after the interview he'll take it.

http://steelerfreakm...er-to-indy.html

He was hired as the Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator to work with recently hired head coach Chuck Pagano on January 29, 2012

SEE LAST LINE

http://en.wikipedia....rican_football)

Yet when u click on the blue colt dc link above u get this story from today saying

According to the Pittsburgh Post Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette via twitter "Steelers LB coach Keith Butler to interview Tuesday for Colts coordinator job. Butler says it's not a done deal." We will all just have to wait and see.

The same story in the quoted link

He was hired as the Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator to work with recently hired head coach Chuck Pagano on January 29, 2012

SEE LAST LINE

http://en.wikipedia....rican_football)

To be fair Wikipedia isnt exactly the most official source. That could have been edited by anyone.

Im not doubting he will be hired I just havnt seen anything that is really official.

That's Wikipedia. If you want I can make it say he's the star quarterback of the Browns? Star striker of LA Galaxy? Prime minister of Ethiopia? All of the above?

as I noted

Yet when u click on the blue colt dc link in wiki line u get this story from today saying

According to the Pittsburgh Post Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette via twitter "Steelers LB coach Keith Butler to interview Tuesday for Colts coordinator job. Butler says it's not a done deal." We will all just have to wait and see.

No, but he was the LB coach... Maybe the most important coach in a 3-4 defense except the coordinator.. Im guessing if the LB's didnt perform well they would not have been the number 1 defense..

That awesome defense that lost to Houston and their third string rookie QB in the playoffs? Plus they were #1 in yards allowed but 7th in the AER, a much more accurate rating system than yards allowed.

But let's say for a minute that the 5 or 6 games in which the LBers palyed poorly was just a fluke, then aren't you, if effect, saying that Butler just rode the coattails of all the talent he had at the LB position and with that talent on the field and LeBeau as the DC my grandmother could have coached the LBers just as well?

In a 34, you don't put up those kind of rankings if your Line Backers don't perform. They are probably the most important group of players in the scheme. They account for: 1. Majority of the pass rush 2. Most of the run stopping 3. Shutting down the midfield passing attack. It isn't as simple as a 43. In a 43 you can get away with weak linebackers. You CANNOT in a 34. You will be exposed.

You put up those kind of numbers if: You have a good DC, which Pittsburg does, you have a good Dline, which Pittsburgh does and good secondary (which Pittsburgh does, and inconsistent play from the LBers.

LBers are important. And some games they looked like the most fearsome corp (not core) in the NFL and other times they looked like a bunch of old guys several years past their prime. Thus the reason I said inconsistent and not bad or horrible.

That awesome defense that lost to Houston and their third string rookie QB in the playoffs? Plus they were #1 in yards allowed but 7th in the AER, a much more accurate rating system than yards allowed.

But let's say for a minute that the 5 or 6 games in which the LBers palyed poorly was just a fluke, then aren't you, if effect, saying that Butler just rode the coattails of all the talent he had at the LB position and with that talent on the field and LeBeau as the DC my grandmother could have coached the LBers just as well?

Impossible to answer because i have no knowledge of your grandmothers grasp of the 3-4 defense..

Coffeedrinker, Pitt lost to and option QB (they actually got torched) in Tim freakin tebow... Not to the houstan texans. Still i think losing to the broncos and tebow is worse than losing the the texans..

Im pretty sure the Steelers secondary was the reason for that loss, not the linebackers.. Tebow went for over 300 yards and Demaures Thomas had 200 yards on 4 catches..

they played tebow in the playoffs and lost to the texans with matt shaub

Jvan1973, isnt their 3-4 D with timmons, woodley, farrior, and harrison a bit resposible too for tim tebow throwing for 300 plus yards? They had no pressure on him. If he was tom brady or PM he woulve carved them up for 450 yards with the time he had back there in the pocket. Those lbers got no pressure on him whatsoever.. Their lbers were quiet all game. And they are good lbers! We dont have good lbers besides angerer..

they played tebow in the playoffs and lost to the texans with matt shaub

Doh. What was I thinking. Yes that awesome defense that lost to Tebow.

Im pretty sure the Steelers secondary was the reason for that loss, not the linebackers.. Tebow went for over 300 yards and Demaures Thomas had 200 yards on 4 catches..

But the game winning TD was a mid range pass taken the distance, that's LBers territory.

Doh. What was I thinking. Yes that awesome defense that lost to Tebow.

But the game winning TD was a mid range pass taken the distance, that's LBers territory.

You cant be serious... The corner had man coverage on Thomas.. The ball was caught 18 yards up field on a play action quick strike.. If anyone was to blame it was the safety for playing up and the corner for not making the play.. The linebackers had no fault on that touchdown

Well.....we'll just have to wait and see what these guys do, its too soon, with too many changes to be managed and new stuff to be implemented for us to forecast a good or bad outcome.

Way back when, I gotta believe some Pats fans were cursing the day Belichick got hired based on his Cleveland experience, and I'm sure alot of Cowboys fans were heralding the day Parcells got hired....and in the end, the reverse expectations for those 2 guys are pretty much what took place.

As far as Pagano hiring guys he's coached with before....a good measure of that is probably his comfort level and chemistry having worked with them, and given the considerable personnel changes we might be facing, familiarity among the coaches is probably a good thing., at least at the outset.

Anyhow....if Butler has been the Steelers LB coach since 2003, I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt with that long a body of work. There's darn sure worse LB corps in the NFL than Pittsburgh, who won 2 Super Bowls in that timeframe.

You cant be serious... The corner had man coverage on Thomas.. The ball was caught 18 yards up field on a play action quick strike.. If anyone was to blame it was the safety for playing up and the corner for not making the play.. The linebackers had no fault on that touchdown

Yes I am serious, watch the play on nfl.com, the LB dropped into his zone, he didn't drop deep enough and that is why Tebow was able to throw it in there. The LB tries to jump and bat it and if he had been two yards deeper he would have been able to. Like I said... inconsistent.

Yes I am serious, watch the play on nfl.com, the LB dropped into his zone, he didn't drop deep enough and that is why Tebow was able to throw it in there. The LB tries to jump and bat it and if he had been two yards deeper he would have been able to. Like I said... inconsistent.

So now you know what defense was called and the responsibilites of each of the LB'ers.. interesting...

Ok don't know alot about the guy...but he was inline for the steelers d.cord job. And they have tried to keep him for the last three or four years from going elsewhere. Plus....the steeler fans are NOT happy about it at all.....I don't think this is as much of a "give my buddies a job" type of (possible) hire as it is "this guy KNOWS football and I am comfortable with him" .

The "browns" stint was back in 2002....yes these guys were on that team as coaches but they weren't in charge and they have ALL gone on with other teams and been successful. I as a colts fan haven't been this excited about an off-season since we hired Dungy. I used to live the colts and post here long ago...but the last couple of years with other commitments I haven't been able to hang here....

Granted no one knows what the future holds...but I at least "feel" like things are headed in the right direction for the first time in a long time.

So now you know what defense was called and the responsibilites of each of the LB'ers.. interesting...

Isn't that what you are claiming with this, "The corner had man coverage on Thomas.. The ball was caught 18 yards up field on a play action quick strike.. If anyone was to blame it was the safety for playing up and the corner for not making the play.. The linebackers had no fault on that touchdown" So you know the responsibilitues of the corners and each safety and the LBers to know who was and who was not at fault?

And look at the clip on nfl.com, it's obvious the LBer has zone coverage, it's obvious he's dropping back and it's obvious he didn't get deep enough.

Isn't that what you are claiming with this, "The corner had man coverage on Thomas.. The ball was caught 18 yards up field on a play action quick strike.. If anyone was to blame it was the safety for playing up and the corner for not making the play.. The linebackers had no fault on that touchdown" So you know the responsibilitues of the corners and each safety and the LBers to know who was and who was not at fault?

And look at the clip on nfl.com, it's obvious the LBer has zone coverage, it's obvious he's dropping back and it's obvious he didn't get deep enough.

So the corner who whiffed on the tackle and the safety rushing the line at the snap had no fault..

Sense perfection is not an option, I think we should feel pretty good about this guy, assuming he does get the job.

He has shown the ability to "produce" players like Harrison. That is a skill many coaches in the NFL do not have . They can scheme they can motivate but they fall short in the player development department. That will be key in the rebuilding process.

I also like the idea that he has, basically, been an understudy to one of the best DC's in the history of the league.

Butler is ready to become a DC and I like the idea that he will (hopefully) be doing it here, rather than in Pittsburgh.

So the corner who whiffed on the tackle and the safety rushing the line at the snap had no fault..

No, they had their fault after the catch. The LB was at fault before the catch.

And none of that has anything to do with you claiming you know the responsibilities of the players and then trying to knock me because I stated what I think the players should have been doing.

'Best Coaching Staff in the NFL': If the Butler as DC issue is true, these aren't the sexiest, biggest names out there. Individually, they have achieved varying levels of success. Aside from Arians, none of these coaches have any experience at the positions to which they were hired. Yes, they are friends, past co-workers of the HC. However, the best coaching staff in the NFL doesn't have to include all the best names out there. It only has to have good parts, all pointing in the same direction, and the talent to get to the same place. Time will tell.

Also, all these 'friends' could be considered to have 'failed' in Cleveland......So did Belichick.

Freeny may not even come back with 14 mil owed, for 3-4 Mathis is the guy to resign.

Agree with that. IMO, Dwight the Fright will not fit the 3-4 but Mathis would. IMO, the Colts will not pay PM the 28 milllion due on March 8. With the 14 million due to Freeney, the Colts will have some cap room to sign some excellent FA's.

No, they had their fault after the catch. The LB was at fault before the catch.

And none of that has anything to do with you claiming you know the responsibilities of the players and then trying to knock me because I stated what I think the players should have been doing.

your blaming the lbers on one play which was because they werent deep enough. i watched that game too and what i saw was the defense giving pretty much nothing to the broncos on the ground. the steelers game plan was to stop tebow from running and thats what they did. tebow burned the secondary not the lbers.

Hey guys, thought I'd come over and give you some insight from here in Pittsburgh.

Keith Butler is a great coach in the mold of Dick LeBeau. If he chooses to sign a contract with the Colts, the team's defense should look a lot different.

I think Indianapolis' roster could support an OK 34 defense almost immediately. You will probably see your defensive tackles slide out to End. I don't think either Nevis or Moala could play Nose very efficiently. Freeney shouldn't have much issue moving to Outside Backer. I don't know if you have all given up on Hughes or not, but I would give him a shot opposite Freeney if you don't re-sign Mathis. Mathis would, however, be an ideal 34 Pass Rusher. I would look for your team to target a classic Nose Tackle in the draft. They are vital to the performance of a 34. I saw a mention of Poe being available in the second, but I don't see him being there. He is a player I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers take and I feel like his stock is generally rising.

As far the finality of Butler accepting an offer, unless he sees something he doesn't like down there I don't see how he would say no. On the other hand, though, he has been waiting a long time to take over the defense specifically in Pittsburgh and with Dick LeBeau's career presumabely coming to a close, I don't know why he would choose to jump ship last minute. But maybe he is just too tired of waiting.

I know most Steeler fans destroy Bruce Arians, and he does have his faults which you will all come to learn quickly. Get used to five-wide sets and bubble screens. But at the end of the day he is a good Coordinator and, assuming Butler signs on, looks like your team is building one heck of a staff.

Thanks! I don't know much about Butler, but I appreciate your insight!