Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keith Butler Steelers Linebacker Coach New Dc./butler Stays In Pitts (Merge)

Balzer40

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AdamSchefter

RT @RossHollebon: Chuck Pagano, Bruce Arians and Keith Butler were all on Butch Davis' original staff in Cleveland together in 2001.

You mean part of the staff that went 21-27 in three years.

Bruce Arians ran the 25th, 19th and 29th ranked offense.

And anyone who thought the Steeler's LBers were good this year did not watch many Steelers games. They were inconsistent, often out of position and weak at tackling.

I really hope I'm wrong, but it seems Pagano is less interested in hiring the best staff in the NFL and more interested in helping his old friends.

I'm thinking more of a hybrid, myself. Pagano will still have a major say in what scheme we run and he seems more flexible than he does a purist, one way or another. Regardless what we run, strong linebacker play has been missing from this team for awhile, and Butler should improve what we have and have the eye to recognize new talent where available.

I'm amp'd, eitherway!

Being *fairly* new to NFL, what does the 3-4 hybrid entail?

And anyone who thought the Steeler's LBers were good this year did not watch many Steelers games. They were inconsistent, often out of position and weak at tackling.

I really hope I'm wrong, but it seems Pagano is less interested in hiring the best staff in the NFL and more interested in helping his old friends.

Yeah, Woodley, Farrior, Timmons and Harrison are terrible.... :loco:

Freeny may not even come back with 14 mil owed, for 3-4 Mathis is the guy to resign.

Freeney's not a fee agent, though. I do have to wonder where they will put him, however. With Freeney and Mathis' speed and agility, maybe they can drop a few pounds and play the linebacker positions like J. Harrison and L. Woodley for the Steelers? Can they also cover an occasional receiver? Nevis is not your classic 3-4 NT either, but maybe they can still figure out how to make it work. With another stout ILB to pair with Angerer, maybe a mobile NT won't hurt us. I'd use a late draft pick on a NT anyway, just in case.

Hey guys, thought I'd come over and give you some insight from here in Pittsburgh.

Keith Butler is a great coach in the mold of Dick LeBeau. If he chooses to sign a contract with the Colts, the team's defense should look a lot different.

I think Indianapolis' roster could support an OK 34 defense almost immediately. You will probably see your defensive tackles slide out to End. I don't think either Nevis or Moala could play Nose very efficiently. Freeney shouldn't have much issue moving to Outside Backer. I don't know if you have all given up on Hughes or not, but I would give him a shot opposite Freeney if you don't re-sign Mathis. Mathis would, however, be an ideal 34 Pass Rusher. I would look for your team to target a classic Nose Tackle in the draft. They are vital to the performance of a 34. I saw a mention of Poe being available in the second, but I don't see him being there. He is a player I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers take and I feel like his stock is generally rising.

As far the finality of Butler accepting an offer, unless he sees something he doesn't like down there I don't see how he would say no. On the other hand, though, he has been waiting a long time to take over the defense specifically in Pittsburgh and with Dick LeBeau's career presumabely coming to a close, I don't know why he would choose to jump ship last minute. But maybe he is just too tired of waiting.

I know most Steeler fans destroy Bruce Arians, and he does have his faults which you will all come to learn quickly. Get used to five-wide sets and bubble screens. But at the end of the day he is a good Coordinator and, assuming Butler signs on, looks like your team is building one heck of a staff.

Hey guys, thought I'd come over and give you some insight from here in Pittsburgh.

Keith Butler is a great coach in the mold of Dick LeBeau. If he chooses to sign a contract with the Colts, the team's defense should look a lot different.

I think Indianapolis' roster could support an OK 34 defense almost immediately. You will probably see your defensive tackles slide out to End. I don't think either Nevis or Moala could play Nose very efficiently. Freeney shouldn't have much issue moving to Outside Backer. I don't know if you have all given up on Hughes or not, but I would give him a shot opposite Freeney if you don't re-sign Mathis. Mathis would, however, be an ideal 34 Pass Rusher. I would look for your team to target a classic Nose Tackle in the draft. they are vital to the performance of a 34. I saw a mention of Poe being available in the second, but I don't see him being there. He is a player I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers take and I feel like his stock is generally rising.

As far the finality of Butler accepting an offer, unless he sees something he doesn't like down there I don't see how he would say no. On the other hand, though, he has been waiting a long time to take over the defense specifically in Pittsburgh andwith Dick LeBeau's career presumabely coming to a close, I don't know why he would choose to jump ship last minute. But maybe he is just too tired of waiting.

I know most Steeler fans destroy Bruce Arians, and he does have his faults which you will all come to learn quickly. Get used to five-wide sets and bubble screens. But at the end of the day he is a good Coordinator and, assuming Butler signs on, looks like your team is building one heck of a staff.

Thanks for your input, it's good to see someone from another team act sensibly rather than do what a lot of people have a habit of doing and getting bitter about staff that choose to leave. Interesting to hear.

I, too, think we will go after an NT in the draft. If Poe drops to R2 I reckon we'll take him, if not we'll look deeper.

you do know who was the qb at that time right? and one down year doesnt take away the other great years the lbers had.

I think Indianapolis' roster could support an OK 34 defense almost immediately. You will probably see your defensive tackles slide out to End. I don't think either Nevis or Moala could play Nose very efficiently. Freeney shouldn't have much issue moving to Outside Backer. I don't know if you have all given up on Hughes or not, but I would give him a shot opposite Freeney if you don't re-sign Mathis. Mathis would, however, be an ideal 34 Pass Rusher. I would look for your team to target a classic Nose Tackle in the draft. they are vital to the performance of a 34. I saw a mention of Poe being available in the second, but I don't see him being there. He is a player I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers take and I feel like his stock is generally rising.

As far the finality of Butler accepting an offer, unless he sees something he doesn't like down there I don't see how he would say no. On the other hand, though, he has been waiting a long time to take over the defense specifically in Pittsburgh andwith Dick LeBeau's career presumabely coming to a close, I don't know why he would choose to jump ship last minute. But maybe he is just too tired of waiting.

Thank you for your insight! It is very appreciated by myself and helps reinforce my thoughts on this hire.

Seems like the Colts want to get away from the "soft" label they have been given over the last 10+ yrs..

To do that they'd have to totally tear off the roof of Lucas Oil Stadium ;)

A friend of mine, the Sunday morning of the Colts victory over the Bears in the SB, told me that there was no way, and I quote, "a sissy, dome team" would beat the Bears. We all know that they did so, in the pouring rain. He didn't want to talk about it after the game.

Man, you seem to be so bitter about everything. Accept the changes and at least wait one season to assess the changes. Face the facts, Polian, Caldwell and that era is over and this is a new chapter of Colts football.

Man, you seem to be so bitter about everything. Accept the changes and at least wait one season to assess the changes. Face the facts, Polian, Caldwell and that era is over and this is a new chapter of Colts football.

I have faced the facts that the Polian/Caldwell era is over. In your mind does that really mean I need to love everything the new coach is doing when he hires mediocre coordinators?

After a year, if I'm wrong, I will gladly come back in and say I'm wrong. But right now the fact is the Colts have a guy who has never been GM (doesn't mean he can't be a good one, just that he has never been one so there is going to be a learning curve and some mistakes along the way), a guy who has never been a HC (doesn't mean he can't be a good one, just that he has never been one so there is going to be a learning curve and some mistakes along the way) and their big things at the moment have been to hire a mediocre OC and a former LBers coach who's LBers have been underwhelming the last couple of years. And if you've read any of my posts since his hire you would know there have been several rumors floated around that I thought would have been great moves. Rumor of Butch Davis as DC, would have been great, IMO. Trestman as OC, I thought would have been a great move. And others.

So unlike you would prefer to believe, I'm not bitter at all. I just don't think the new HC is putting together, "the best staff in the NFL". I think he's hiring his best friends in the NFL.

I sure see nothing even close to official on this hire..not sure why so many are considering it a done deal

Your right, I don't think its a done deal yet. I started the thread only because Schefter said on ESPN that Butler will follow Arians to Indy. I hadn't heard anything about it before he said that, but if he's willing to come here for the interview he must want the job.

The Steelers Outside Backers were hurt most of the season. That's not an excuse, it's just the truth. The players definitely produced inconsitent results at times, but that is of no fault to the scheme. And I'm curious to know when the Line Backers were out of position? A few instances come to mind but I didn't notice a pattern of this more than any other given season. The team did still boast the first ranked defense in the league, and the play of the Line Backers were a big part of that.

Thanks for your input, it's good to see someone from another team act sensibly rather than do what a lot of people have a habit of doing and getting bitter about staff that choose to leave. Interesting to hear.

I, too, think we will go after an NT in the draft. If Poe drops to R2 I reckon we'll take him, if not we'll look deeper.

Sure, thanks for the welcome! This draft does look to have a number of good Nose Tackles which is pretty rare for draft classes. It is a good thing too as over half the league has now switched the the 34, we need more of these guys to start popping up in the college ranks.

Whoever said Pagano was more interested in hiring his old friends rather than the best staff in the NFL seems to have hit the nail on the head. All 3 have worked together in the past, and I won't be surprised if any of Chuck's old pals get a call for other open positions. I like Keith, but I think the Bruce hire was made fully on past relationship experience.

I have faced the facts that the Polian/Caldwell era is over. In your mind does that really mean I need to love everything the new coach is doing when he hires mediocre coordinators?

After a year, if I'm wrong, I will gladly come back in and say I'm wrong. But right now the fact is the Colts have a guy who has never been GM (doesn't mean he can't be a good one, just that he has never been one so there is going to be a learning curve and some mistakes along the way), a guy who has never been a HC (doesn't mean he can't be a good one, just that he has never been one so there is going to be a learning curve and some mistakes along the way) and their big things at the moment have been to hire a mediocre OC and a former LBers coach who's LBers have been underwhelming the last couple of years. And if you've read any of my posts since his hire you would know there have been several rumors floated around that I thought would have been great moves. Rumor of Butch Davis as DC, would have been great, IMO. Trestman as OC, I thought would have been a great move. And others.

So unlike you would prefer to believe, I'm not bitter at all. I just don't think the new HC is putting together, "the best staff in the NFL". I think he's hiring his best friends in the NFL.

To be fair Coffee, Both Dungy and Caldwell done the same thing. In fact, it was because Caldwell hired his buddies for DC and Special Teams coaches we were stuck with 2 of the worst coordinators in football.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Too many people going off their reputations rather than their play this year. Those are some very good LBers you mentioned, their play this year was not worthy of their reputations.

I agree and I think some of that has to do with age and getting ran on by offenses... we all know if your Dline doesn't do a good job in the run neither will your LB core most of the time.

I like what Chuck is doing here though he's looking for cohesion with his staff... a 3-4 staff at that which would benefit the players.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Too many people going off their reputations rather than their play this year. Those are some very good LBers you mentioned, their play this year was not worthy of their reputations.

Yeah, 8th against the run and first against the pass.. Man the Steelers D was terrible

Your right, I don't think its a done deal yet. I started the thread only because Schefter said on ESPN that Butler will follow Arians to Indy. I hadn't heard anything about it before he said that, but if he's willing to come here for the interview he must want the job.

Agreed, nothing official yet and Adam tends to post more rumor than fact here lately IMO.

I think Coffee has accepted the facts about a new era in Colts football. He was simply stating that this group did not get it done in Cleveland. Now moving on, Coffee with all due respect could any coaching staff have helped that organization with the talent level they had at the time? I think you would agree the talent level was abismal.

The steeler linebacker core is aged to say the least, one step slower and two steps closer to retiring. They need an influx of some good young linebackers and based on that Butler probabaly got what he could out of them.

This could be a good hire if it happens, and this could be Cleveland all over again just like Coffee mentioned above. I will wait to pass judgement.

To be fair Coffee, Both Dungy and Caldwell done the same thing. In fact, it was because Caldwell hired his buddies for DC and Special Teams coaches we were stuck with 2 of the worst coordinators in football.

I realize it's done all the time in large part because they are familiar with guys they have worked with and know what they bring to the table. And as you may or may not recall, I did not like the hiring of Coyer or Ray R either.

Ditto. Some people won't be happy no matter who is hired and will always complain.

Was he the defensive coordinator?

In a 34, you don't put up those kind of rankings if your Line Backers don't perform. They are probably the most important group of players in the scheme. They account for: 1. Majority of the pass rush 2. Most of the run stopping 3. Shutting down the midfield passing attack. It isn't as simple as a 43. In a 43 you can get away with weak linebackers. You CANNOT in a 34. You will be exposed.