Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

thoughts and Observations a Quarter of the way thru the Season

NewColtsFan

I'm going to go division by division and point to some surprises....     I'm posting this to show you the large number of surprises even a short way into the season.   Almost none of this was foreseeable to anyone, expert or fan alike....

This game is HARD!

NFC Conference

NFC West

The Rams lost their season opener 28-0 and fans predicted they might in a line for the top overall pick in 2017.    Now, they've won 3 straight and lead a very tough division.

The Cardinals were a pre-season Super Bowl favorite of many.    Now they're 1-3. 

NFC North

The Vikings lost their starting QB,  their starting RB,  their starting LT (all 1st round picks) and former 1st round pick Cordarelle Patterson is still giving them next to nothing.   So, how are they 4-0?     They've got a very deep roster thanks to very good drafting and free agency moves.    Plus,  they've developed a dominating defense.

NFC South

The Falcons are 3-1 and lead their division?    Matt Ryan and Julio jones playing great ball and a much improved defense

The Pathers are 1-3 and struggling.     A shaky offense not getting nearly enough from either the passing or the running game.     And a defense that has evaporated so far this season. 

NFC East

The Eagles are 3-1 with a rookie QB.    Carson Wentz had only 30 snaps the entire pre-season and had fractured ribs.   Yet the Eagles have started him and it has paid off.   The Eagles are also a team that has reversed it's pace of play.    From the fastest team to snap the ball under Chip Kelly to the slowest team to snap it under Doug Pederson.   That has helped their defense which has played lights out.

AFC Conference

AFC West

The Broncos are 4-0 with Trevor Simeon at QB.    They lost very good pieces from their defense and yet they still play intimidating football.

AFC North

The Steelers are 3-1.    They lost big to Philadelphia one week and then won big the next week vs. KC.    Complete Jeckyl and Hyde performance.     Resilient team.

AFC South

Indy, J'Ville and Tennessee all 1-3.     Will anyone challenge Houston for the division crown?

AFC East

The Patriots won 3 straight games without Tom Brady.     Best run franchise keeps humming along.

Not all of the turns of events huge suprises. I wouldn't necessarily have predicted them, but huge suprises naw...

We all knew the Colts weren't exactly going undefeated. But 1-3? Not showing up against the Jags???

I had the same feeling about Carolina. The SB loser doesn't always regain form right away but they could be 0-4 yikes.

The Vikings are obviously a surprise but not when you take a step back and look. They're well coached and Bradford is a good player who simply missed some breaks in his career. 

The biggest suprise to me might be the Falcons. Ryan has absolutely stunk the last few years. In week 1 they lost a dink and dunk contest to the Buccs but since then they've looked like a different team.

The Cardinals also aren't that big of a surprise. Palmer isn't their only problem. 

The Rams will probably screw it up so I don't know if they really count as a surprise until that doesn't happen lol!

Obviously the season isn't over. I'm sticking to some of my preseason predictions. Alot of this will come out in the wash.

The Eagles are actually 3-0:thmup:.  I think Dallas will end up winning that division.   I loved what you said about the Rams.  Getting whooped by 28 and being in contention for the #1 pick then 3 straight wins and turning things around!  That's all it takes is a team to get hot and to string a few wins in a row together, confidence plays a major role imo.  I think the Steelers will end up winning their division.  I think the Pats will easily when their division.  I like Minnesota in the NFC North but I am not counting out the Packers.  I think the Seahawks win their division and the Rams will be finish 2nd.  I think the AFC West is a toss up.  I want to see the Raiders win but my gut says the Broncos will win it.  I think the Falcons will win their division but I think the Panthers will be right there to challenge them.  I have to give the edge to the Texans to take the AFC South but I do think it'll be a close race. I am thinking 8-8, 9-7 or 10-6 wins it.  Last but not least, I am not giving up on the Colts just quite yet!

My thoughts and observations:

So far we have lost 2 games we should've won. We should be 3-1 and are better than most people think. Yeah I know shoulda woulda coulda. Having said that we have been in every game and 1-3 isn't death looking at our schedule + the Texans who lead the Division aren't world beaters. I do see a team that plays sloppy with dumb crucial penalties by the Defense and a few drive killing penalties on Offense = undisciplined. We need to cut those down if we are going to start winning the close games. I see a team that has been injury riddled on Defense which hasn't helped our cause either. if our Defense had been healthy against the Lions I think we win that game fairly easily. Having said that our Offense is averaging 27 points a game which is Great which not many people has mentioned. We need to keep that up! We need to go 3-1 in this next QTR or we are in trouble. 4-4 at the midway point isn't that bad after starting 0-2 and gives us a chance. We definitely have to win tomorrow, Bears/Hoyer at home, if we lose this one the season is pretty much over IMO. Those are my thoughts.