Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Injury updates

snkdy

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We have way too many other important needs to use a 2nd round pick on an inside linebacker...

OLB,  CB,   RB are all more pressing than ILB.

Not that ILB isn't needed....   it is.     Just others needed even more.

LB is by far the biggest need next offseason. Both ILB and OLB are horrible right now so getting a very good starter at both positions in rounds 1-3 would be wise in my opinion. Getting a good ILB who can cover and hit is a valuable asset.

18 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

LB is by far the biggest need next offseason. Both ILB and OLB are horrible right now so getting a very good starter at both positions in rounds 1-3 would be wise in my opinion. Getting a good ILB who can cover and hit is a valuable asset.

I agree

8 hours ago, Mr Clueless said:

It is hard to argue against the need for OLB, but beyond I'm not so sure that we don't have a very big issue at ILB. I didn't think we would have before the season started, but things have gone to hell.

Maybe the kind of ILB guys that Monachino needs for his defense is simply not on the roster right now. I'm a bit scared about this possibility to be honest.

I agree

34 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I said the right ILB, not some two down plugger 

I know......

But there aren't many of those,  and as I noted,  there are other premium positions that I want to use with premium picks....

We have a different viewpoint.....    not a big deal.

29 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If we didn't have bigger needs at corner and RB, then I might agree with you.

But I prefer to use premium picks on premium positions.     And to me, at this point in our building process,  I think we need to focus on being much more athletic,  more speed and quickness.

The skills for an ILB can be found in the 4th and 5th round.

Just my viewpoint....

For us to be running at 3-4 defense, our entire linebacking corps is trash.  Walden will make an splash play. Then he'll usually follow it up with a boneheaded penalty. At least he does have a little electricity in his game. The rest...  I just don't know. We could definitely use some playmakers on both the inside and outside linebacker positions. 

11 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

For us to be running at 3-4 defense, our entire linebacking corps is trash.  Walden will make an splash play. Then he'll usually follow it up with a boneheaded penalty. At least he does have a little electricity in his game. The rest...  I just don't know. We could definitely use some playmakers on both the inside and outside linebacker positions. 

Actually Doyel has the most penalties on the team with 5. Cromartie had 4

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

ILB is no longer a premium position.     The player gets pulled for another Safety or Corner.

I think you can fill it with a 4.    I prefer to use premium draft picks (1,2, 3) where the premium athletes are...

Defense:   OLB, CB, DE, DT, S

Offense:     QB, WR, LT,  TE,  RB

You can get a good solid player in the 4th or 5th round.    The only time I want to spend a premium pick on a non-premium position is when it's one of the last pieces of a puzzle.     

That's bad roster mechanics in my opinion because your robbing a chance to add value or keep value at another position (Like keeping Okine at OLB instead of a 5th Safety. Maybe he would not have worked out but we could have used the depth) just to keep an extra Safety solely because you have 4 ILB's that don't cover well....Which was easy to see coming.

Just get a Cover ILB or 2, Cut that extra Safety that's not needed and add that OLB depth you need that has potential. Keep that extra 5th Safety on the PS if you can. Instead we don't have a single Safety on the PS and no pass rush....They also need to play Ayers more while they are at it. Sad truth is Mathis is done or is completely useless right now come Sundays. Ayers has been affective and still only has 58 total snaps this year and a sack vs the Jags on only 19 snaps and other pressures on 26 pass snaps for the season

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know......

But there aren't many of those,  and as I noted,  there are other premium positions that I want to use with premium picks....

We have a different viewpoint.....    not a big deal.

I fully understand what you're saying and see your point, but as you note there aren't many of those quality ILB's that we surely need. With low supply and high demand (for us), the price go up. In that sense it becomes a premium position for us. OLB, then ILB/CB should be the first 3 picks. Just IMO.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

That's bad roster mechanics in my opinion because your robbing a chance to add value or keep value at another position (Like keeping Okine at OLB instead of a 5th Safety. Maybe he would not have worked out but we could have used the depth) just to keep an extra Safety solely because you have 4 ILB's that don't cover well....Which was easy to see coming.

Just get a Cover ILB or 2, Cut that extra Safety that's not needed and add that OLB depth you need that has potential. Keep that extra 5th Safety on the PS if you can. Instead we don't have a single Safety on the PS and no pass rush....They also need to play Ayers more while they are at it. Sad truth is Mathis is done or is completely useless right now come Sundays. Ayers has been affective and still only has 58 total snaps this year and a sack vs the Jags on only 19 snaps and other pressures on 26 pass snaps for the season

We have different view points.

I think my roster mechanics are great because I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on a Nose Tackle or an Inside linebacker unless I thought they were rare and special.

Since the position is discounted,   I'd save my premium picks for premium positions.

Just the way many here don't like using a 1st R pick on a running back.    Devalued position.    But they'll use a 2 or a 3.     It's not devalued THAT much. 

While I'm building my defense I want as many premium players at premium positions.    Once I'm loaded there, THEN I'm willing to spend a premium pick on a non-premium position. 

I allow room for exceptions to the rule,  but on balance those are my priorities....

We see it differently....   and that's OK.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We have different view points.

I think my roster mechanics are great because I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on a Nose Tackle or an Inside linebacker unless I thought they were rare and special.

Since the position is discounted,   I'd save my premium picks for premium positions.

Just the way many here don't like using a 1st R pick on a running back.    Devalued position.    But they'll use a 2 or a 3.     It's not devalued THAT much. 

While I'm building my defense I want as many premium players at premium positions.    Once I'm loaded there, THEN I'm willing to spend a premium pick on a non-premium position. 

I allow room for exceptions to the rule,  but on balance those are my priorities....

We see it differently....   and that's OK.

For the record we both agree about NT. I would not spend anything higher that a 5th or 6th on a NT unless they were rare or special BUT if I know that an ILB has the ability to cover then you bet Ill spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on him. Its a passing league and I would not touch a 2 down thumping ILB until day 3. THOSE are the kind of ILB's that have lost value NOT ILB's that can cover