Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagono May Want Us To Draft Defense First

oldunclemark

My first though is that Pagono wont want us to use the No.1 overall on a QB..

when his defense needs some new-age high speed attackers..

If he believes Manning is OK...could he talk Irsay and Grigson into dealing the No.1 for Cleveland's No.4 overall..

No. 26 and (we have No. 33) No. 37???

...and take a nose guard, corner, safety and QB (with 33 or 37)?

..we really havent spent many No.1's on defense in the Manning-era

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even a defensive coach understands what a qb means to a team in this league. I don't think he is so blind as to not see that. And considering there isn't a "Suh-type" player in this draft i doubt there is much choice but to go qb

WE always have a choice..

I'm not saying go 'D' no.1

I'm saying Pagono might want to go 'D' with 3 of the 4 picks we could get in the top-40.

Just think abut it because we just hired a defensive expert and he needs tools..

..we can get a QB (someone like Kellen Moore) in round two.

I still think we'll draft Luck but I dont know what was said when Pagono got hired...

If he believes Manning is OK...could he talk Irsay and Grigson into dealing the No.1 for Cleveland's No.4 overall..

Not a chance. Luck will go to the Colts

Also take into consideration that Pagano has a chance to have a QB potentially better than Flacco AND build a defense around him.

You mean Manning, right?

I'm just messing with you Andrew....

Look....if it works out as you say...I'd be thrilled to have you lead us to the playoffs in 2012...

But the NFL is rough......I dont want you to be Jimmy Claussen...

you dont need defense first are u kidden me?!! Ha!! not with guys from the ravens possibly available and possibly mario williams looming in FA. Older guys like Farrior and whoever else is on Pitts makeover you can get on the cheap to help pave our young linebackers ways

If Reggie goes, I could see the Colts going Luck, WR, and not going D until the first pick of the third round. And that's if they resign Garcon. If Garcon and Reggie both walk, I see WR at the 33rd pick as likely as Luck first. Pagano will rank third on the decision maker list behind the owner and GM. No way they don't go QB one.

I don't know what makes Luck such a can't miss player? Maybe everyone just believes what they are told, facts are his numbers weren't any better than Barkley's who played on a far less talented team. Luck even got out played in his bowl game this year despite their running back avging 5.5yds a carry. Now I'm no Luck hater I just implore fans not to think he is the next Peyton, other then him being a good kid I don't see what makes him special.

Since looks like the Colts atleast want everyone to think taking him I hope he turns out great :)

Like was stated above...the best defense is a good offense. Pagano isn't stupid. He knows that if he can score 30pts a game that he has a better chance of winning by limiting the opposing team to 21. Also, he is only part of the decision-making team and you can bet that Irsay want's to put butts in the seats by having a brand new "exciting" franchise quarterback.

I don't know what makes Luck such a can't miss player? Maybe everyone just believes what they are told, facts are his numbers weren't any better than Barkley's who played on a far less talented team. Luck even got out played in his bowl game this year despite their running back avging 5.5yds a carry. Now I'm no Luck hater I just implore fans not to think he is the next Peyton, other then him being a good kid I don't see what makes him special.

Since looks like the Colts atleast want everyone to think taking him I hope he turns out great :)

This has been beat to death a thousand times. College stats mean nothing. Manning, Brady, and Rodgers didn't have absolutely amazing stats coming out of college either. Luck is not a #1 pick because of his stats, its because he has very few flaws and is as darn close as you can get to a perfect QB prospect.

Also Luck had arguably his best game of the year in his bowl game this year. I dont know what game you watched.

People who have evaluated college players as they project to the NFL nearly all rate him as the best QB prospect in years. It's not blindly listening to one opinion. Scouts Inc, McShay, Kiper, and on and on..... USC had and has far more talent than Stanford. That is one of the interesting aspects of Luck - had he had a WR like Blackmon at Oklahoma St., or Woods at USC.... those guys will be high first round picks in the NFL too. Blackmon could be the second pick of this draft. Stanford has nowhere near the number of athletes USC does. Luck went 27/31 for 347, 2TD, 1 INT in his bowl game. Stanford lost, Luck didn't get outplayed.

Gotta love the rationalization of people to try and find new ways and reasons for the Colts to not draft Luck......

Thats not what I'm doing thanks for your post stating nothing meaningful. What I'm doing is wondering why everyone is so sold on Luck and asking for reasoning so I can maybe see what I'm not.

dont listen to them they are only informed by ESPN, and everybody knows they are just pushing for ratings...... thats a fact

now am i saying they wont go QB #1 or with their first pick, no, Irsay said they would.

however everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that Irsay said the great #18 will be in blue and whitre next year if hes healthy....and i dont kno about everybody else but if I were spending my entire week working out and rehabbing...yea you better believe im coming back....and im going to have something to prove...you dont think Peyton wont think the same thing???

Not if you listen to the media(ESPN)

If Peyton walks in to the office of Irsays and says "check it out, i feel great...that 4 yr contract you gave me, yea youlll make money, lots of it..."

Irsay gonna say "Peyton i dont care about the money(thats why i always made it clear to everyone i will make you the highest paid QB ever, cause your my boy) i just want to make sure you are able to be my QB of the future(yea i said it), can you do that?" And Peyton will say yea.

And you people dont think that pick wont get traded???

Idk, Luck was a great(really, really good)college QB, and could be a great NFL QB, but if Irsay could keep Peyton(his man crush) and rebuild the team at the same time, you dont think he would???

This is why everybody keeps saying"I dont know" before they answer question about our Colts, because they really dont know...

once again, oldunclemark is lying to himself. Every single chance he gets, he will try to wrap his mind around the fact that there is a slight chance we may not draft Luck and Manning will be back.

lets spell it out for him: Luck is getting picked. There is no more debate about it, mark, as much as you don't want to accept it. you keep saying that you believe Luck will get picked, but your posts suggest you think its the worst move in the world. you hate andrew luck. we get it. deal with it.

instead of Manning progressing and us seeing him behind center, there has been VERY LITTLE progress on that front. not enough to definitively say that without a doubt Peyton will be back. signs are pointing in the other direction, and you are blind as a bat to that reality.

your threads infuriate me. just deal with the fact that the team is completely different now, and we have entered the new era. go cry yourself to sleep in your #18 jersey. I did myself this year, and it felt good. cleansing, really. I have accepted it. are you ready?

People who have evaluated college players as they project to the NFL nearly all rate him as the best QB prospect in years. It's not blindly listening to one opinion. Scouts Inc, McShay, Kiper, and on and on..... USC had and has far more talent than Stanford. That is one of the interesting aspects of Luck - had he had a WR like Blackmon at Oklahoma St., or Woods at USC.... those guys will be high first round picks in the NFL too. Blackmon could be the second pick of this draft. Stanford has nowhere near the number of athletes USC does. Luck went 27/31 for 347, 2TD, 1 INT in his bowl game. Stanford lost, Luck didn't get outplayed.

I wasn't implying Luck played poorly, I was asking why other then just listening to "Scouts Inc, McShay, Kiper" do people here think that he is the next best thing. Your post stating he is good because all the previous mention state he will be good just makes proves my point where most are just rehashing what others are telling them. I would much rather hear what everyone saying Luck, Luck, Luck personally saw or see in him that makes them think he is can't miss.

Personally I see Luck as a competitor, can make all the throws. I just not ready to say can't miss guy and close my eyes to all other options.

Thats not what I'm doing thanks for your post stating nothing meaningful. What I'm doing is wondering why everyone is so sold on Luck and asking for reasoning so I can maybe see what I'm not.

I wasnt even responding to you, my comment was more to the post made in the original thread.

To your apparent issue -- Luck by virtually every scout / evaluator around is rated as the best pro - ready QB since some guy from TN came out in the late 90's....

Now that doesn't mean he won't fall flat on his face and suck, but that can happen with anyone drafted.

As of today -- this team has 3 QB's -- only two of which played last year and are currently healthy. One guy -- Painter -- may be the worst QB ever to play in the NFL. The other guy -- Orlovsky, looked to be a serviable b/u once he was given his chance. He is however, not a guy you want starting week after week. The 3rd guy is injured and missed all of last year....and may or may not ever be the player he was. He's also in his late 30's and hasn't taken a snap for 18 months, so even if he comes back nobody knows how he will do.

Given that ....this team needs to be sure they go into the 2012 with a healthy QB that is worthy of a starting spot....hence the desire to take Luck.

once again, oldunclemark is lying to himself. Every single chance he gets, he will try to wrap his mind around the fact that there is a slight chance we may not draft Luck and Manning will be back.

lets spell it out for him: Luck is getting picked. There is no more debate about it, mark, as much as you don't want to accept it. you keep saying that you believe Luck will get picked, but your posts suggest you think its the worst move in the world. you hate andrew luck. we get it. deal with it.

instead of Manning progressing and us seeing him behind center, there has been VERY LITTLE progress on that front. not enough to definitively say that without a doubt Peyton will be back. signs are pointing in the other direction, and you are blind as a bat to that reality.

your threads infuriate me. just deal with the fact that the team is completely different now, and we have entered the new era. go cry yourself to sleep in your #18 jersey. I did myself this year, and it felt good. cleansing, really. I have accepted it. are you ready?

Sorry your so infuriated lol I don't hate Luck, I personally think he's the best QB in college. Luck would be my pick like others on here, just don't sell me he will be the next Tom Brady or Peyton unless you have some of your own thoughts why you think it is all I am saying.

I wouldn't vote for president because just because FoxNews or others say vote Obama, you might want to see if Romney would better.

I just not ready to say can't miss guy and close my eyes to all other options.

ALL the other options? you mean one other option, being RGIII? no other quarterbacks will be considered, and no other position will be considered other than quarterback.

that makes 2 options. pick.

Sorry your so infuriated lol I don't hate Luck, I personally think he's the best QB in college. Luck would be my pick like others on here, just don't sell me he will be the next Tom Brady or Peyton unless you have some of your own thoughts why you think it is all I am saying.

I wouldn't vote for president because just because FoxNews or others say vote Obama, you might want to see if Romney would better.

i know you don't hate luck. i never quoted you. i am referring to the OP of the thread.

I wasnt even responding to you, my comment was more to the post made in the original thread.

To your apparent issue -- Luck by virtually every scout / evaluator around is rated as the best pro - ready QB since some guy from TN came out in the late 90's....

Now that doesn't mean he won't fall flat on his face and suck, but that can happen with anyone drafted.

As of today -- this team has 3 QB's -- only two of which played last year and are currently healthy. One guy -- Painter -- may be the worst QB ever to play in the NFL. The other guy -- Orlovsky, looked to be a serviable b/u once he was given his chance. He is however, not a guy you want starting week after week. The 3rd guy is injured and missed all of last year....and may or may not ever be the player he was. He's also in his late 30's and hasn't taken a snap for 18 months, so even if he comes back nobody knows how he will do.

Given that ....this team needs to be sure they go into the 2012 with a healthy QB that is worthy of a starting spot....hence the desire to take Luck.

Agree with everything you said.

Phil....It hasnt happend yet..Nothing you say can be a lie...

You are infuraited....by discussion about things that havent happened yet..

You seem obcessed by Andrew Luck....and even the suggestion that he might not play makes you crazy....

Peyton Manning might QB the Colts next fall...In fact..he probably will.

Calm down