Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

Just put it back on the game for a few minutes and listening to Van Gundy and Jackson talking, how LeBron is just playing for the GOAT status now. That he is by far and away the best player today, only behind Jordan all-time. Pretty much what every ESPN analyst says too. So hypothetically what if he loses to the Warriors, then what will be the talk? These guys are going to look really bad pumping this guy up if the Warriors beat them. A lot of the media and LeBron lovers getting a bit cocky lately thinking he is just going to run away with the Championship. Warriors IMO are just as great and they have HCA, we will see. I will just be curious to see how guys like Brian Windhorst, Stephen A, Max, Mike and Mike, Van Gundy act if LeBron loses in the Finals. I don't want to hear any excuses as a Basketball fan because LeBron and his pack of Stars are 100% healthy and playing the best they have ever have. They are 34,000,000 Mill over the Cap as well. If LeBron and the Cavs lose than the GOAT stuff needs to stop, that would put him at 3-5 Finals. Damn, Durant has 33 Points and 9 Rebounds tonight. Warriors up 113-95 LOL, back to Baseball.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/19/2017 at 10:48 PM, oldunclemark said:

That's is the 'we cant ever win 'whatever we do' plan,  DG

The assumption here is that Indiana can never attract any free agents..

Trading your star for role players a draft picks and rebuilding simply delays the time when you have to attract a big name free agent....and surround him with complimentary free agents

You cannot build through the draft in the NBA.

You have to be willing to spend to keep your guys (PG, Teague, Myles, Lance) and seek complimentary free agents...

I strongly disagree with you there. You can most certainly build through the draft. In fact, it's almost necessary for small market teams like Indiana. Obviously building through the draft is slower; however, it can be very effective if you draft well. The fact of the matter is, Indiana isn't going to attract any high profile FA's at the present moment. It's very questionable if our superstar (George) even wants to be here anymore. It was a poor decision to turn down ATL's offer imo. 8 first round picks in the next 4 years would've given the Pacers a very bright future.

Only 2 teams in NBA History have swept their way to the Finals, that was the 1989 Lakers led by Magic Johnson and the 2001 Lakers led by Shaq and Kobe. Warriors now 1 game away to joining that Elite group. A lot of the media and the fans of LeBron act like LeBron invented Basketball but this guy here isn't in diapers LOL. Some act like Basketball just started in 2004 lmao. I have watched this game for over 40 years and what LeBron is doing now or how he is playing is nothing I haven't seen Magic or Kobe do or even Bird to be honest. Go 16-0 in the Playoffs LeBron, show me something I have never seen before so I can say DAMN - yes that is GOAT worthy without question! I mean there are a bunch of players that have won 4 Championships - Shaq has for example, Duncan has won 5. LeBron is great but he isn't doing anything I haven't already seen by several other greats.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only 2 teams in NBA History have swept their way to the Finals, that was the 1989 Lakers led by Magic Johnson and the 2001 Lakers led by Shaq and Kobe. Warriors now 1 game away to joining that Elite group. A lot of the media and the fans of LeBron act like LeBron invented Basketball but this guy here isn't in diapers LOL. Some act like Basketball just started in 2004 lmao. I have watched this game for over 40 years and what LeBron is doing now or how he is playing is nothing I haven't seen Magic or Kobe do or even Bird to be honest. Go 16-0 in the Playoffs LeBron, show me something I have never seen before so I can say DAMN - yes that is GOAT worthy without question! I mean there are a bunch of players that have won 4 Championships - Shaq has for example, Duncan has won 5. LeBron is great but he isn't doing anything I haven't already seen by several other greats.

Over 40 years? That's great I only hear about Magic and Larry.. I saw Jordan's last shot with the bulls (snuck the game on in my room) I was in middle school when LeBron entered the league. He was talked up though for years as being the next big thing. I naturally rooted against him in the beginning for no good reason haha. I always thought Kobe was better basketball player. But I guess it's impossible to go up against a 6'8" 250 lbs. Tank of a man who can freakishly quick too. But that's just the thing, I just go along with the "best basketball player talk" but he's just physically gifted. But even last night watching Durrant, he's basically unguardable when he's locked in too.. Why isn't he best? Who can guard a 7 foot guard, who's a pure shooter?

5 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Over 40 years? That's great I only hear about Magic and Larry.. I saw Jordan's last shot with the bulls (snuck the game on in my room) I was in middle school when LeBron entered the league. He was talked up though for years as being the next big thing. I naturally rooted against him in the beginning for no good reason haha. I always thought Kobe was better basketball player. But I guess it's impossible to go up against a 6'8" 250 lbs. Tank of a man who can freakishly quick too. But that's just the thing, I just go along with the "best basketball player talk" but he's just physically gifted. But even last night watching Durrant, he's basically unguardable when he's locked in too.. Why isn't he best? Who can guard a 7 foot guard, who's a pure shooter?

I started watching Basketball and playing it when I was like 5 or 6 years old so it's been right at 40 years since I have followed the sport - Since the late 70's. IMO Durant is the 2nd best player in the league, he just wasn't healthy all season this season. LeBron is the best today IMO, I think it's between Curry, Westbrook, and Leonard for the 3/4/5 spots - all of those guys are pretty even. I basically grew up to the 80's era so I have seen firsthand live how great Magic, Kareem, and Bird were. A lot of people that say that LeBron is the GOAT weren't even born when Magic and Bird were playing (or they were too young to remember them when they were in their primes, generally people that are 35 or younger) so that in itself hurts their credibility when judging all the players that have played. Much like me when it comes to Wilt, I cant fairly judge him because I never seen him play live. Out of the Centers I have seen live, Kareem by far had the most accomplished career and was the best Offensive Center I have ever seen. Shaq was the most dominant. When it comes to Kobe Bryant, he to me is the closest thing to Michael Jordan. They both played the same type of style, both great scorers and killers on the court! LeBron is perhaps the best athlete I have ever seen play Basketball and is a great all-around player, cant deny that. His 6'8 250 pound frame is definitely intimidating.

15 hours ago, Boilermaker said:

I strongly disagree with you there. You can most certainly build through the draft. In fact, it's almost necessary for small market teams like Indiana. Obviously building through the draft is slower; however, it can be very effective if you draft well. The fact of the matter is, Indiana isn't going to attract any high profile FA's at the present moment. It's very questionable if our superstar (George) even wants to be here anymore. It was a poor decision to turn down ATL's offer imo. 8 first round picks in the next 4 years would've given the Pacers a very bright future.

the warriors built through the draft except for durant, he wasnt a part of their title win either

pacers problem is we dont pick high enough.  PG and turner are good enough to get us in the playoffs but we need more to win a title.  rings are won usually won by teams that have at least a top 3 player in the league and often they have the best overall

im not sure about that atlanta trade, one of the picks is Clevelands and will probably be very late in the round.  atlantas pick this year is right after ours.  their future picks wont be worth much if they have PG

50 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the warriors built through the draft except for durant, he wasnt a part of their title win either

pacers problem is we dont pick high enough.  PG and turner are good enough to get us in the playoffs but we need more to win a title.  rings are won usually won by teams that have at least a top 3 player in the league and often they have the best overall

im not sure about that atlanta trade, one of the picks is Clevelands and will probably be very late in the round.  atlantas pick this year is right after ours.  their future picks wont be worth much if they have PG

That's what some people don't even realize. The Warriors built through the Draft, Curry, Thompson, and Green were all Draft picks. They won a Championship with their core players being drafted. People are just butt hurt now because the Warriors got Durant through Free Agency.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Would yall say Durant is the 2nd best player in the NBA?

I would. I have him 2nd. My Top 5 are LeBron 1, Durant 2, Curry 3, Westbrook 4, Leonard 5. I think Westbrook deserves League MVP though, 42 TDB's and Averaged a TDB with 47 wins on a team that would be a 25 win team without him.

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's what some people don't even realize. The Warriors built through the Draft, Curry, Thompson, and Green were all Draft picks. They won a Championship with their core players being drafted. People are just butt hurt now because the Warriors got Durant through Free Agency.

The Warriors got Steph 7th in the first round..Klay was 11th..and Green was a second round pick.

Nobody else is going to be able to do that. You cant build that was because nobody thought Steph would do what he's doing or they wouldn't have passed on him.

But consider what you're saying.Those 3 are core players,. righjt/

We have PG, Myles Turner and Lance...core players..

Then you have to build on it with free agents.

That's all I'm saying. 3 years ago..GSW didn't decide they weren't good enough and trade Steph for picks.

Stay the course

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would too, everyone talks about Leonard's Defense but Durant is a good defender as well. He uses his wingspan a lot to alter shots.

Durant is a much better defender than he used to be..

....and he can cover the 3-line at 6-foot-11......we need guys like that. Everybody does now

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Durant is a much better defender than he used to be..

....and he can cover the 3-line at 6-foot-11......we need guys like that. Everybody does now

I love Leonard's game but he doesn't have Durant's overall Offensive game either. Durant scores 30 in his sleep some nights.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That #2 pick and Ingram would be a nice start. I also like Randle. I am not really fan of Russell though.

I would not take Russell..

so we'd need the #2 overall pick, Randle and Ingram..

..is there any way they do that?  Just asking

so we'd need the #2 overall pick, Randle and Ingram..

..is there any way they do that?  Just asking

Not sure how much Magic would give up for PG? I could make a strong argument that PG is a Top 10 player in the league though. Not just saying that because he is a Pacer but he has given LeBron the toughest time out of any player I can think of over the last 5 years. Took LeBron 7 in 2013 being the best player on his team. Even look at these Playoffs, Pacers got swept but every game was close, Pacers could've easily won Game 1 and 3. Being a Pacers guy, I would want at least the #2, Ingram and Randle. PG is a SuperStar.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure how much Magic would give up for PG? I could make a strong argument that PG is a Top 10 player in the league though. Not just saying that because he is a Pacer but he has given LeBron the toughest time out of any player I can think of over the last 5 years. Took LeBron 7 in 2013 being the best player on his team. Even look at these Playoffs, Pacers got swept but every game was close, Pacers could've easily won Game 1 and 3. Being a Pacers guy, I would want at least the #2, Ingram and Randle. PG is a SuperStar.

Is there any way to find out what Paul George has done against LeBron James..head to head

.what would you want from Cleveland for Paul George?

I bet the Cavs have thought about it

If we do or  don't resign   Teague by the draft...that might tell us something

A lot of variables at play. Its possible too that maybe Bird wanted to re sign Teague and maybe Pritchard sees it differently. Has Pritchard made any comments on Teague? If he has I havent seen it.

we have a need for a shooter and scorer at forward

...well, there one available..he can score 20 in his sleep....proven star..who must leave the team he is on.

..a player so impactful that his acquisition would guarantee that Paul George resigns with us.

You know who I mean?

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

A lot of variables at play. Its possible too that maybe Bird wanted to re sign Teague and maybe Pritchard sees it differently. Has Pritchard made any comments on Teague? If he has I havent seen it.

Teague is an Indy guy who makes no illusions about his desire to play here.

But we talked about this before.

$12 mil?    16 mil?   $20 mil.

He has leverage on us. We have no young point guard waiting to step in.

And you are 10000000% right. Lance can never be the starting point guard

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Not that I have seen or heard.

I would hope we draft someone like Frank Mason in the second round...

We need a point guard other than Lance coming of the bench

Teague is an Indy guy who makes no illusions about his desire to play here.

But we talked about this before.

$12 mil?    16 mil?   $20 mil.

He has leverage on us. We have no young point guard waiting to step in.

And you are 10000000% right. Lance can never be the starting point guard

I don't think lance should ever start (unless injuries of course) because his best role is a 6th man. He plays starters minutes some nights anyway. 

If we don't re-sign Teague, I would still want the #2, Ingram and Russell. Reason being we could Draft Ball or Fox to be our PG. I would prefer Fox from KY. I just really don't want to have anything to do with Lavar Ball. Fox is a great defender and a good scorer. I can live with Fox, Lance, Ingram, Randle, and Turner as our starters. It's a young team but a team that could gel in 2 or 3 years. That is a lot of young talent. Hell Lance would be the grandpa of that and he isn't even 27 yet is he?

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we don't re-sign Teague, I would still want the #2, Ingram and Russell. Reason being we could Draft Ball or Fox to be our PG. I would prefer Fox from KY. I just really don't want to have anything to do with Lavar Ball. Fox is a great defender and a good scorer. I can live with Fox, Lance, Ingram, Randle, and Turner as our starters. It's a young team but a team that could gel in 2 or 3 years. That is a lot of young talent. Hell Lance would be the grandpa of that and he isn't even 27 yet is he?

The only reason it sign Teague (well, the best reason) would be to go all-in this next season with Paul.

Lance,Fox, Ingram, Randle and Myles Turner is a team that would make things happen (good and bad!)

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The only reason it sign Teague (well, the best reason) would be to go all-in this next season with Paul.

Lance,Fox, Ingram, Randle and Myles Turner is a team that would make things happen (good and bad!)

Add a player like Redick to that starting 5 as a 6th man that even looks better. T. Young is still a solid Role Player too which we have.

11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That team would definitely have growing pains, but that would be a fun team to watch.