Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LB question

WoolMagnet

I feel I stay pretty up to date with team stuff.  However, the starting LB , and even backups, has me very confused.

i've heard so many different opinions that I have no idea what is going on.

can anyone explain where we are , and where we will probably end up.

There seems to be excitement (and questions) about more players than roster spots.

is it Mathis , walden, DQ , "new guy" to start most likely?

for depth, who's looked good at practice and how many are we keeping?

Here is the latest depth chart for the Colts. We have Walden, Jackson, Moore, and Mathis as starters at the moment. Moore and Irving are currently battling for the start next to Jackson. Some players to watch are Edwin Jackson, who has received some praise in camp for his ability to cover the field and Trevor Bates, who is currently in the second team unit. There are certainly others, but these two are the most intriguing of the bunch.

Defensive Depth Chart Colts.png

I think Colts.com has been forecasting that there will be a trio of ILB's being used for the majority of snaps...

DQ, along with Moore and Irving.      And Moore and Irving will rotate in depending on down and distance.

As for the other OLB opposite Mathis......   feels very much like Walden,  unless it's a clear passing down and then the Colts will sub-in Cole for added pass rush.

That's what I'm reading here.......

Hope it helps......

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Practice-10-Training-Camp-Notebook-Rain-Shortens-Colts-Final-Afternoon-Practice-In-Anderson/1be9648a-dfa8-4399-95c9-54b9df6c74bb

• It’s hard for pass rushers to get noticed in Training Camp. No. 95, Earl Okineicon-article-link.gif, has popped up in the backfield several times. It will be fun to see that big guy in a stand-up role, against a different team.

This was one of the things noticed in the latest practice.  It is good to see him begin to get aquainted with his new role as an OLB.

Thought i'd throw that out there as a person of interest in this thread.

This is how I rank us right now:

Robert Mathis Rush
D'Qwell Jackson Mike
Erik Walden SLB
Trent Cole Rush
Sio Moore Will
Nate Irving Mike
Trevor Bates SLB
Edwin Jackson Will
Antonio Morrison Mike
Ron Thompson Rush
Curt Maggitt SLB
Josh McNary Will
Earl Okine Rush
Junior Sylvestre Will

My opinion will likely change some after watching the first (non-canceled) preseason game.

48 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Robert Mathis Rush
D'Qwell Jackson Mike
Erik Walden SLB
Trent Cole Rush
Sio Moore Will
Nate Irving Mike
Trevor Bates SLB
Edwin Jackson Will
Antonio Morrison Mike
Ron Thompson Rush
Curt Maggitt SLB
Josh McNary Will
Earl Okine Rush
Junior Sylvestre Will

My opinion will likely change some after watching the first (non-canceled) preseason game.

Our best LB is a past prime 35 year old. Jackson is also past his prime. Looks like we lose Freeman, and Grigson is pulling a Bill Polian with replacing him from within. This list looks pretty terrible actually. Hope I'm wrong

23 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Our best LB is a past prime 35 year old. Jackson is also past his prime. Looks like we lose Freeman, and Grigson is pulling a Bill Polian with replacing him from within. This list looks pretty terrible actually. Hope I'm wrong

Jesus you really are a troll aren't you? Let's wait and see what Mathis looks like but Jackson finished 2nd in the league in tackles last year so hardly past his prime. Both Irving and Moore where both brought in last year not drafted so I don't really beleive you can count either as promoting with in. 

I don't really see a big drop-off from Freeman to Moore/Irving, although there isn't a lot to base that on. I just think that, despite being a good ILB for us, Freeman had some warts to his game and was being a bit overrated by some of the analytics sites out there. I think the same can be said for DQ, though. 

I think people are writing off Mathis prematurely. It has been well documented that his play improved as he got healthier last season and he seems to be 100% this off-season. He is a proven game-wrecker and is a lock for double digit sacks imo. 

Walden is solid on the other side. I don't think he gets enough love around here. 

The issue is depth. Late-round and undrafted rookies are a big gamble to take if one of the aged veterans gets hurt. I'll be interested to see how guys like Bates and Morrison play in preseason games, but it's really hard to get excited about any of those guys this early. We all know that TC and preseason success doesn't always (or even usually) carry over into the reg. season. 

On August 10, 2016 at 5:47 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think Colts.com has been forecasting that there will be a trio of ILB's being used for the majority of snaps...

DQ, along with Moore and Irving.      And Moore and Irving will rotate in depending on down and distance.

As for the other OLB opposite Mathis......   feels very much like Walden,  unless it's a clear passing down and then the Colts will sub-in Cole for added pass rush.

That's what I'm reading here.......

Hope it helps......

I totally agree on Walden most unvalued player on the team. If he or Mathis went down Cole would see the bulk of the work. It would take 2 injuries for the rookie/UDFA to see a ton. Okine is in that mix too. It would be nice if someone earned time without the injuries. 

I'm really looking forward to see what Monachino does with our LB's. I was glad to see Hererea gone. We should have speed at ILB Moore, Edwin, Slyvestre even Irving with the lost weight. 

I think he will get Thompson involved. We gave him one of the top signing bonuses for an UDFA 15k. There were a lot mocks that had him going day 3 I saw one that had him off in the 3rd round. 

On 11 August 2016 at 5:27 AM, twfish said:

Jesus you really are a troll aren't you? Let's wait and see what Mathis looks like but Jackson finished 2nd in the league in tackles last year so hardly past his prime. Both Irving and Moore where both brought in last year not drafted so I don't really beleive you can count either as promoting with in. 

I don't necessarily disagree but using number of tackles made as a metric to assess players is a fools's errand. At least say, tackles for a loss, has a degree of useful quantification, 

It's like using the no. of Pro Bowls made to say player X is better than player Y :p.

On August 10, 2016 at 8:11 PM, BlueShoe said:

Robert Mathis Rush
D'Qwell Jackson Mike
Erik Walden SLB
Trent Cole Rush
Sio Moore Will
Nate Irving Mike
Trevor Bates SLB
Edwin Jackson Will
Antonio Morrison Mike
Ron Thompson Rush
Curt Maggitt SLB
Josh McNary Will
Earl Okine Rush
Junior Sylvestre Will

Nice list.      Thanks for doing this. 

Food for thought......     your list is 14 deep....  the Colts likely won't keep more than 10 LB's total.

So,  who do you see getting cut or moving over to the P.S.??

Just asking........