Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we have an advantage over the Texans and Jags?

bradgt04

Just now, QwizBoy said:

I think it could be potentially better. He's a young guy with a lot of years ahead of him, and in an offense that will be very explosive. We'll see. 

To me Obrien is rounding things out to be similar to how Belichick is with a trio or quartet of backs.  Don't usually get 1,000 yard rushers from that Pats system.  Although I will say Obrien likes to run a little bit more than Bellichick does.  

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

You guys(Houston) usually put a good wrap on Bortles when you play.  And they still havent done anything with that offensive line for the most part.

Yeah, we seem to have Blake's number. I'm not sure how many times he got hit last year but you're right that they need to do something about the line. I don't keep up with them so I'm not sure if they drafted any or made moves in free agency. 

6 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I think it could be potentially better. He's a young guy with a lot of years ahead of him, and in an offense that will be very explosive. We'll see. 

Initially I think they had to lean on Arian Foster because they didn't have the other backs in place that complement that system.  And the WR depth was lacking.  Now they have the rest of the group in place between Tyler Irvin(who I love), Alfred Blue(kind of like stephen ridley to me) Lamar Miller, and Grimes.  And they've got good depth at WR between Hopkins, Strong, Miller, Fuller  and the tight ends.   Seems like Wendal Williams(the guy that runs the 4.1) has been making some plays too.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

To me Obrien is rounding things out to be similar to how Belichick is with a trio or quartet of backs.  Don't usually get 1,000 yard rushers from that Pats system.  Although I will say Obrien likes to run a little bit more than Bellichick does.  

Yeah he already promised to feed Miller the ball. Especially when I think they plan on bringing Brock along slowly. The run game will be the focus of the offense no doubt. I'm pretty excited to see what Ervin brings to the table too. 

2 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah he already promised to feed Miller the ball. Especially when I think they plan on bringing Brock along slowly. The run game will be the focus of the offense no doubt. I'm pretty excited to see what Ervin brings to the table too. 

Ervin is going to be killer in the passing game, and the screen game.  Not to mention he can run regular running plays too.

Just now, krunk said:

Ervin is going to be killer in the passing game, and the screen game.

He's been returning kicks too. I admit I had never heard of him before the draft but I'm liking what I hear from training camp. Hopefully that all translates well when actual games start being played. 

6 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah, we seem to have Blake's number. I'm not sure how many times he got hit last year but you're right that they need to do something about the line. I don't keep up with them so I'm not sure if they drafted any or made moves in free agency. 

Didn't make any moves that I'm aware of.  Just moved one of their guards or a tackle to center.

Just now, QwizBoy said:

He's been returning kicks too. I admit I had never heard of him before the draft but I'm liking what I hear from training camp. Hopefully that all translates well when actual games start being played. 

A good number of people on this forum wanted him for the Colts.  Didn't pan out that way.

Just now, QwizBoy said:

Yikes. 

It looks like to me the plan is to run the football a lot more with addition of Chris Ivory to go along with TJ Yeldon.  Maybe play action pass and some designed runs/roll outs for Bortles to keep him upright.  I don't know what their rushing stats were.  Maybe they did alright in that area and lean on that a little bit.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I've bashed O'Brien for the past 2 years straight on this board probably worse than anyone, but he is doing a pretty good thus far with the material he's had to work with. They had no quarterback last year, but still managed to win a division where no one wanted to win it. 

If Brock turns out to be the real deal, they could become a dominant force in the AFC South for the next several years. 

It looks like to me the plan is to run the football a lot more with addition of Chris Ivory to go along with TJ Yeldon.  Maybe play action pass and some designed runs/roll outs for Bortles to keep him upright.  I don't know what their rushing stats were.  Maybe they did alright in that area and lean on that a little bit.

Yeah I remekber Yeldon getting some buzz last year, and Ivory is a solid pick up. A good run game opens up the play-action options which would be very good for Blake and his speedy receivers. 

UDFA  Josh Ferguson.  He's been doing really well in camp.  Very good in the screen game/passing game and very agile.

Ah, that's right, I have seen that name a lot on here. Sounds like a good option to spell Gore. 

Yeah I remekber Yeldon getting some buzz last year, and Ivory is a solid pick up. A good run game opens up the play-action options which would be very good for Blake and his speedy receivers. 

What's your take on Wendal Williams?  Think he'll make the team?

1 minute ago, krunk said:

What's your take on Wendal Williams?  Think he'll make the team?

I haven't heard much about him personally. I know he's fast, but we've already got speed, and the question is whether or not he can play football, not beat someone in a foot race. I want to go to one of the live practices but it's way too hot outside for that kind of business lol. 

I haven't heard much about him personally. I know he's fast, but we've already got speed, and the question is whether or not he can play football, not beat someone in a foot race. I want to go to one of the live practices but it's way too hot outside for that kind of business lol. 

I've been on the Texans website a couple times looking over the practice observations and i've seen his name more than once.   Thought you'd been keeping up!  You're right though, it's been a smoker here in Houston with the heat.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I've been on the Texans website a couple times looking over the practice observations and i've seen his name more than once.   Thought you'd been keeping up!  You're right though, it's been a smoker here in Houston with the heat.

Damn I'll have to take a look. Haven't been on there in a while haha I forgot that you're a fellow Houstonian! Yeah the heat is out of control lately lol. 

17 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

The Texans run game hasn't been depleted. Some would argue they've made upgrades at the position, as well as in the receiving corps. And I'm not sure what you mean when you say Blake needs a reliable target. The Allen Brothers are no amateurs and he also has Julius Thomas, as well as what could be a really good defense to complement the offense. I'd say the division is as wide open as its been in a while.

I forgot that the Jags got Chris Ivory from the Jets & I need to see who Houston's workhorse back is right now. Be right back. Lamar Miller. 

That's my concern as a Colts fan. It's been a long time since we had a 1,000 yard rusher for awhile. Joe Philbin should remedy that up front, but INDY needs a much better ground game to keep Lucky healthy. 

Damn I'll have to take a look. Haven't been on there in a while haha I forgot that you're a fellow Houstonian! Yeah the heat is out of control lately lol. 

I think he's a long shot though to almost no chance.  The WR corps is kind of crowded and you have people like Ervin and Braxton Miller who can return punts and kicks.

30 minutes ago, krunk said:

Also added Robert Turbin for the short yardage and power stuff.

Turbin does look like the real deal. I remember how good he was in Seattle man.

He gave Denver all they could handle in 2012 & he shows no signs of slowing down. Nice. 

This guy goes in depth on Bortles 2015 performance:

Bortles led the league with 18 interceptions, but he also led the league in what Football Outsiders calls adjusted interceptions, a measure that includes would-be picks dropped by the opposition. By that metric, we would have expected Bortles' 603 passes to produce 20.5 interceptions. He was actually the fourth-luckiest passer in the league in terms of getting away with passes that should have been taken away by the opposition.

Nowhere does that stand out more than in the most statistically controversial game of Bortles' season, which came in Week 14 during a 51-16 blowout victory over the Colts. Bortles' team won comfortably, and his overall line looks fine: 16-of-30 for 250 yards with three touchdowns and a 1-yard TD plunge as a runner for good measure. ESPN's QBR metric disagreed with that perception, assigning Bortles a dismal 3.8 figure for the day while suggesting that the Jaguars blew out Indy almost entirely in spite of their young quarterback.

I don't know if individual-game QBR is finely tuned to the extent that I would agree with a single-digit figure for the former UCF star, but in watching the tape, he was unquestionably bad against Indy. Bortles had three would-be interceptions dropped by Indy defenders and was responsible for not getting the ball out quickly enough on two bad strip-sacks. Jags center Stefen Wisniewski was a mess snapping the football at times, but Bortles was primarily at fault for a shotgun snap that hit him in the hands and bounced into the end zone for a Colts touchdown.

Is Blake Bortles a budding star or a future flameout?http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/BarnwellNFLPreview160809/blake-bortles-jacksonville-jaguars-budding-nfl-star-future-flameout

I've said this before & I'll say it again. I want Brock Oz to be Houston's franchise answer because the better our #1 division foe is--The better it will be for INDY outside our division as the snow falls. 

If we fail to make the playoffs, I'll survive. Plus, it would be cool to not be viewed as a cream puff division anymore actually. 

No, I am not rooting for the Colts to fail. I'm just highlighting that the Colts aren't invincible or indestructible that's all. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I forgot that the Jags got Chris Ivory from the Jets & I need to see who Houston's workhorse back is right now. Be right back. Lamar Miller. 

That's my concern as a Colts fan. It's been a long time since we had a 1,000 yard rusher for awhile. Joe Philbin should remedy that up front, but INDY needs a much better ground game to keep Lucky healthy. 

Gore came pretty close last season. I think as long as they don't try to have Andrew throw for 6,000 then there's a chance the Colts can have a 1,000 yard or 100 a game guy. 

Gore came pretty close last season. I think as long as they don't try to have Andrew throw for 6,000 then there's a chance the Colts can have a 1,000 yard or 100 a game guy. 

Thx QuizBoy. As a rival, I respect your opinion. You're a good guy & I want your Texans to have a good season too. Bill O'Brien has put together a good staff & if Clowney emerges healthy, your defense in Houston could be very formidable. 

WR DeAndre Hopkins is very dangerous. He can take the top off of any defense too. I hope JJ Watt makes a full recovery too following his back surgery. 

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

If Brock turns out to be the real deal, they could become a dominant force in the AFC South for the next several years. 

It's entirely possible that what you said above could indeed happen Bogie. I don't like how pundits in the NFL media appointed him the best QB in the AFC South with zero starter experience until now, but I will confess he's very good & I do like the kid even though I'm not supposed to admit that publicly. LOL! 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

This guy goes in depth on Bortles 2015 performance:

Bortles led the league with 18 interceptions, but he also led the league in what Football Outsiders calls adjusted interceptions, a measure that includes would-be picks dropped by the opposition. By that metric, we would have expected Bortles' 603 passes to produce 20.5 interceptions. He was actually the fourth-luckiest passer in the league in terms of getting away with passes that should have been taken away by the opposition.

Nowhere does that stand out more than in the most statistically controversial game of Bortles' season, which came in Week 14 during a 51-16 blowout victory over the Colts. Bortles' team won comfortably, and his overall line looks fine: 16-of-30 for 250 yards with three touchdowns and a 1-yard TD plunge as a runner for good measure. ESPN's QBR metric disagreed with that perception, assigning Bortles a dismal 3.8 figure for the day while suggesting that the Jaguars blew out Indy almost entirely in spite of their young quarterback.

I don't know if individual-game QBR is finely tuned to the extent that I would agree with a single-digit figure for the former UCF star, but in watching the tape, he was unquestionably bad against Indy. Bortles had three would-be interceptions dropped by Indy defenders and was responsible for not getting the ball out quickly enough on two bad strip-sacks. Jags center Stefen Wisniewski was a mess snapping the football at times, but Bortles was primarily at fault for a shotgun snap that hit him in the hands and bounced into the end zone for a Colts touchdown.

Is Blake Bortles a budding star or a future flameout?http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/BarnwellNFLPreview160809/blake-bortles-jacksonville-jaguars-budding-nfl-star-future-flameout

Interesting article on Blake Bortles krunk. I hate when writers include adjusted interceptions because drops by CBs aren't really picks. And Blake isn't the the 1st field general to fumble a snap from under center either that cost their club 6 points the other way. 

At least, Bortles isn't Blaine Gabbert right? That guy was not prepared for the NFL at all. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Interesting article on Blake Bortles krunk. I hate when writers include adjusted interceptions because drops by CBs aren't really picks. And Blake isn't the the 1st field general to fumble a snap from under center either that cost their club 6 points the other way. 

At least, Bortles isn't Blaine Gabbert right? That guy was not prepared for the NFL at all. 

I think Bortles is on the right track, but he ain't Andrew Luck.

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I'm so sick of watching these Training Camp Reports.  I am read to watch some real football. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm so sick of watching these Training Camp Reports.  I am read to watch some real football. 

You're preaching to the choir brother. 

Only in America can we watch a game for 3 hours without a glitch where if the Commissioner can run a game smoothly billions of fans will be overjoyed. Talk about a low thresh hold of success & he gets paid like he just cured Breast Cancer or something. 

18 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yea, and a defense that could be sick, and Bortles (last year) looked every bit as good as Andrew's best. Bortles looks like the real deal.  He reminds me of Big Ben for some reason. I'll tell ya, the Jags organization has turned it around:. I think they worry me much more than the Texans. Its gonna be an interesting year.

The Jags have turned nothing around. Don't get caught up in all the pundit hype. They will find away to crash and burn. Watch and see.

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I've said this before & I'll say it again. I want Brock Oz to be Houston's franchise answer because the better our #1 division foe is--The better it will be for INDY outside our division as the snow falls. 

If we fail to make the playoffs, I'll survive. Plus, it would be cool to not be viewed as a cream puff division anymore actually. 

No, I am not rooting for the Colts to fail. I'm just highlighting that the Colts aren't invincible or indestructible that's all. 

You are going to be disappointed

4 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Actually they picked up Kelvin Beachum from Pittsburgh to play LT for them. Not a huge upgrade but an upgrade none the less. 

24 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Well the Colts have something no other AFC south team has, and that's a winning culture. Can't be underestimated :)

AFC South since created in 2002:

Colts 9 Championships, 2 with Luck

Texans 3 Championships

Titans 2 Championships

Jags 0

-In my signature I don't even hang Division banners , going to the Championship Game and SB is more important to me. I would rather be a WildCard and play in the Championship Game then win my Division and be 1 and done.

40 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Actually they picked up Kelvin Beachum from Pittsburgh to play LT for them. Not a huge upgrade but an upgrade none the less. 

Yep forgot about him. He's the only notable move for them on the offensive line, though, I think. Blake did well last year in spite of his line anyway, so I don't think he will be any worse bc of it this year...unless they get him hurt.