Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton on Sunday Morning

shakedownstreet

Peyton is in the GOAT convo. I never get tired of him. So glad he got that 2nd Ring, that was huge for the resume! I look at 2 things when it comes to a player. That is League MVP's and SB wins. SB wins shows you are a Champion and can win on the big stage, League MVP's proves you are the most important player to your team or even the best player in the league.

Count:

Tom 4 SB wins, 2 League MVP's

Peyton 2 SB wins, 5 League MVP's

Outcome = Peyton wins 7-6.

*reason why I don't include SB MVP's is because anyone can have 1 fabulous day, like Doug Williams for example. Ben didn't win SB MVP either in his 2 wins. I would rather win League MVP and a SB.

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton 2 SB wins, 5 League MVP's = 7

Tommy 4 SB wins, 2 League MVP's = 6

Montana 4 SB wins, 2 League MVP's = 6

Bradshaw 4 SB wins, 2 League MVP's = 6

*SB wins and best player in the league the 2 most important things.

From the outside looking in, someone will say "whatever suits your metrics".

By not including SB MVPs, you are taking out the biggest knock on Peyton which is not playing big on the biggest stage, just putting it out there objectively :)

I am a big Peyton myself but I don't buy your theory that anyone can have a good day. Not everyone has a good day at that big stage where they get to play the best in the NFL, just saying.

Now, let us get back to the commercials. :)

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

By not including SB MVPs, you are taking out the biggest knock on Peyton which is not playing big on the biggest stage, just putting it out there objectively :)

I am a big Peyton myself but I don't buy your theory that anyone can have a good day. Not everyone has a good day at that big stage where they get to play the best in the NFL, just saying.

In all fairness to Peyton as far as not playing great on the biggest stage. Quite a few of those types of games Peyton had a lead or had the team in position to take a lead when a poor defense or poor special teams play gave the game away. I once read an article that had a break down of how many times that happened but I cant remember the exact numbers. I can recall thinking to myself it was mind boggling.

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

Fair enough. My point really was it's much harder to win League MVP than it is SB MVP IMO. To win League MVP you have to be Great for a whole season, to win SB MVP you only have to be Great for 1 day and sometimes only Good. When Tom won SB MVP in 2001 he didn't even play Good. If I included SB MVP's, Tom would still only be up 9-8 for that 3rd criteria. I would much rather win League MVP and a SB compared to winning a SB MVP and a SB. As long as my team won the SB it wouldn't bother me at all if I didn't win SB MVP. Ben never has and nobody ever brings it up, they just talk about his 2 wins. I do think it's important to have at least 1 though just to say you won 1, hence my signature at the bottom. I noted Peyton winning 1 here.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

In all fairness to Peyton as far as not playing great on the biggest stage. Quite a few of those types of games Peyton had a lead or had the team in position to take a lead when a poor defense or poor special teams play gave the game away. I once read an article that had a break down of how many times that happened but I cant remember the exact numbers. I can recall thinking to myself it was mind boggling.

Peyton has been actually Good on the big stage. He is 3-1 in Championship games and 2-2 in Superbowls which = to a 5-3 record on the 2 biggest stages. Really the only game out of those 8 wins he didn't play Good in was last years SB win. He even played Good against the Saints in 2009 but had the 1 Bad INT at the end. I thought the SB against the Bears he played Good, it wasn't Great but he had to deal with the rain and still a 60 Yard TD pass to Reggie and managed the game well. The only time he looked overwhelmed in a SB was against the Seahawks but that Defense was nasty!

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton has been actually Good on the big stage. He is 3-1 in Championship games and 2-2 in Superbowls which = to a 5-3 record on the 2 biggest stages. Really the only game out of those 8 wins he didn't play Good in was last years SB win.

True but I was talking in regards to the playoff loses when with the Colts. While the games you refer to are the biggest games, the playoffs were the stepping stones to get to those big games.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

True but I was talking in regards to the playoff loses when with the Colts. While the games you refer to are the biggest games, the playoffs were the stepping stones to get to those big games.

Yeah my Post was more towards Chad72, I qouted you instead. I know the game against the Chargers here in Indy in 2007 he threw for over 300 Yards and had 3 TD's putting up 24 and we still lost. Our Defense couldnt stop Billy Volek of all people.

Just now, oldunclemark said:

147 and counting...!!

Its funny. We all wondered what he'd do after he retired....Could be its right in front of our eyes and he's already been doing it for 10 years

Yeah he should definitely be on TV doing something that is either funny or maybe just be a sports analyst on the NFL Network or ESPN?

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

147 and counting...!!

Its funny. We all wondered what he'd do after he retired....Could be its right in front of our eyes and he's already been doing it for 10 years

You might be right. Why not? He still would have his time with his family and take care of his foundations. He put so much time and effort into his NFL career I couldn't blame him for wanting a slower pace in retirement. It's not like he needs the money? lol

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he should definitely be on TV doing something that is either funny or maybe just be a sports analyst on the NFL Network or ESPN?

CBE;

I don't see him ever being an analyst. I could be wrong...but to be a football analyst, you've got to point out the mistakes of quarterbacks and coaches and everybody else..

....I just don't see Peyton Manning doing that in public///after a football lifetime of having folks comment on his every throw...I don't see him turning around and doing that to others...especially his brother..

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:53 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton is in the GOAT convo. I never get tired of him. So glad he got that 2nd Ring, that was huge for the resume! I look at 2 things when it comes to a player. That is League MVP's and SB wins. SB wins shows you are a Champion and can win on the big stage, League MVP's proves you are the most important player to your team or even the best player in the league.

Count:

Tom 4 SB wins, 2 League MVP's

Peyton 2 SB wins, 5 League MVP's

Outcome = Peyton wins 7-6.

*reason why I don't include SB MVP's is because anyone can have 1 fabulous day, like Doug Williams for example. Ben didn't win SB MVP either in his 2 wins. I would rather win League MVP and a SB.

Holy Crikey man!  Can we not enjoy some funny commercials without someone turning this into a GOAT debate?!

Peyton has a real talent for comedic acting. His southern accent and his subtle body language make it even funnier to me. I think Peyton becoming a talking head analyst would be a mistake. He probably would get panned by the haters no matter what opinions he offered. Stick to the commercial stuff Peyton - it's pure magic at this point. Wearing his bathrobe in the supermarket - hilarious!! 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:49 AM, sreeb2deeni said:

Peyton has a real talent for comedic acting. His southern accent and his subtle body language make it even funnier to me. I think Peyton becoming a talking head analyst would be a mistake. He probably would get panned by the haters no matter what opinions he offered. Stick to the commercial stuff Peyton - it's pure magic at this point. Wearing his bathrobe in the supermarket - hilarious!! 

Next time you see it, check out the lady waiting behind him in line at the market//

..the look on her face....